Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is how i see our needs

1- DT

We don't have anyone reliable here. We need a player that can help us stuff the opposing team on 3rd and 4th and short. The 49ers have gotten better at this but we have been awful for a long time at this so we need that top prospect. We also need someone to help rush the passer from the inside. Our edge rush has improved lately, but QB's can just step up easily. We need better interior pass rush- it'll make our defense better. I know we drafted Balmer so having a hopefully good DT duo would do wonders for the defense.

Potential players to help solve the problem- BJ Raji, Sendrick Marks, Ron Brace

2- FS/CB

This depends on where Reggie Smith plays. If Smith is our FS, get a CB. If Smith is our CB, get a FS. Either way, replace that garbage Mark Roman. He's awful. Can't make plays, can't stop plays. No use whatsoever.

Potential players- Taylor Mays, William Moore, Macho Harris, Mike Mickens,

3- RT

Snyder is decent but we need someone better here. I'm just sick of the constant pressure from the right side. Thankfully, it's a deep tackle class and with the run on tackles last year, we might be able to grab a gem in Round 2/3 if we so desire.

Potential Players- Michael Oher, Phil Loadholt, Alex Boone, Jason Smith, Jamon Meredith

4- WR

I like Hill and Morgan but we need a legit playmaker on the outside. Bruce is our best WR but he's 36 and no gaurantee that he will be back next year.

Potential players- Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt

Secondary needs include: DE/OLB Pass Rusher, short yardage FB/RB, developmental quarterback prospect, LB to pair up with Willis and Lawson, backup OT besides Snyder.

I don't see much answer in the FA market. Maybe a RT but the only legit ones are Gross and Carey and i think another team is going to outbid us. I think some teams will try to get them to be a good RT or LT (Washington, Oakland, Pittsburgh, etc).

I think the best 1st round pick for us would be B.J. Raji. He can be that dominating interior presence we sorely need. If we can't grab Raji, i wouldn't mind Jason Smith or Jeremy Maclin.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 12-15-2008 at 01:02 AM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Needs as I see it..

1 - FS - Mark Roman is a liability out there and the Dolphins just exposed that fact. You can also make a case for FS being the weak point of our defense, and that's saying ALOT.

Possible players - William Moore, Patrick Chung

2 - OT - Snyder is alright. Sims is awful. Any more reason needed?

Possible players - Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Herman Johnson(G), Ciron Black

3 - WR - We need a young flashy playmaker, Morgan and Zeigler should develope into good players and Johnson and Bruce are turning into some reliable targets not to mention Jason Hill and his emergence as a good target. I feel we're missing that it reciever ie. Moss, Smith, Boldin, Fitgerald, etc.

Possible Players - Maclin, Harvin, etc.

Some of these can be solved in the Free Agency as well.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, Scott in his latest mock has us taking................................... Sam Bradford

WOW is all I can say. Sure I dont think we have a 'gun' QB but Im more than happy with a Hill / Smith combo next year. With so much uncertainty surrounding everything in this organisation I just dont think Bradford is a priority. Dont get me wrong Bradford's gonna be a gun player but just not for us. Gimme OT or a playmaker on defense.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
Guys, Scott in his latest mock has us taking................................... Sam Bradford

WOW is all I can say. Sure I dont think we have a 'gun' QB but Im more than happy with a Hill / Smith combo next year. With so much uncertainty surrounding everything in this organisation I just dont think Bradford is a priority. Dont get me wrong Bradford's gonna be a gun player but just not for us. Gimme OT or a playmaker on defense.
I don't think they'll take a QB in round 1.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I just saw the updated mock draft.

Hell no to ANY QB in the first round regardless of who it is because whoever it is isnt going to help us out anyway. I would much rather stay with Hill and Smith for 2009.

I have CB, OT and a pass rushing DE / OLB as my top three for the first round.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How can you guys seriously not say RT is our biggest need. If you watched the Miami game that is the sole reason why we lost it. Don't get me wrong Roman messed up his fair share, but Sims was getting beat every play; and Snyder is not a full time starter bottom line.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
How can you guys seriously not say RT is our biggest need. If you watched the Miami game that is the sole reason why we lost it. Don't get me wrong Roman messed up his fair share, but Sims was getting beat every play; and Snyder is not a full time starter bottom line.
Hill getting sacked by Porter wasnt Sims fault. It was the horrible playcall. Hill by himself in the backfield. Come on. Even I would know to put another player in the backfield to help Sims out.

What happened to Snyder though? Did he get injured or was he pulled?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Hill getting sacked by Porter wasnt Sims fault. It was the horrible playcall. Hill by himself in the backfield. Come on. Even I would know to put another player in the backfield to help Sims out.

It was Sims' fault because he was beat off the line by Porter.
Quote:
On the fourth-down play, Sims said he got a late start against Porter. Sims said he hoped Hill would get rid of the ball quickly. However, the 49ers needed a full 10 yards to keep the game alive.

"He got a good jump off the ball, and I was a little behind the count because of the crowd noise," Sims said. "I wish I could have that one back. He just got my edge, and I wasn't able to recover."

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Because any logical OC would not leave Sims out there against Joey Porter one on one with the game on the line. I agree with Dan there is no excuse for that to happen. Does Sims suck? Absolutely, but were we are probably going to be picking in the draft you can not pay that type of money for a RT. Plus I would rather go after a guy like Jordan Gross in free agency.

Also I think, if we have a top 10 pick, you have to invest it in a WR/QB/DE. We need to add a playmaker to this team and I would rather take a gamble at the skill position spots.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

are you kidding. Dan please watch the games before you make yourself sound anymore dumb. It was Sims' fault Porter got to Hill on a two count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Because any logical OC would not leave Sims out there against Joey Porter one on one with the game on the line. I agree with Dan there is no excuse for that to happen. Does Sims suck? Absolutely, but were we are probably going to be picking in the draft you can not pay that type of money for a RT. Plus I would rather go after a guy like Jordan Gross in free agency.

Also I think, if we have a top 10 pick, you have to invest it in a WR/QB/DE. We need to add a playmaker to this team and I would rather take a gamble at the skill position spots.
No we need someone to protect our QB. We have the playmakers they just need to get healthy.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 12-16-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 AM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
are you kidding. Dan please watch the games before you make yourself sound anymore dumb. It was Sims' fault Porter got to Hill on a two count.

No we need someone to protect our QB. We have the playmakers they just need to get healthy.
you say that but we really don't have playmakers at all. we have gore. we have vernon but he can hardly count. we have delanie walker although we never throw him the ball for some reason. and on the outside we don't really have any playmakers although we all like josh morgan and jason hill. so the playmakers aren't already there at all, i agree though, we do need a RT but i don't think we need one in the first round
Old 12-16-2008, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
you say that but we really don't have playmakers at all. we have gore. we have vernon but he can hardly count. we have delanie walker although we never throw him the ball for some reason. and on the outside we don't really have any playmakers although we all like josh morgan and jason hill. so the playmakers aren't already there at all, i agree though, we do need a RT but i don't think we need one in the first round
I think that needs to be top priority. The fact that Gore was out last game was good for one reason. That made them get the ball to Vernon which if he gets enough touches he could be our go to guy. Morgan looks like he could be our vertical threat. We have the playmakers most of them are injured or misused.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 AM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that needs to be top priority. The fact that Gore was out last game was good for one reason. That made them get the ball to Vernon which if he gets enough touches he could be our go to guy. Morgan looks like he could be our vertical threat. We have the playmakers most of them are injured or misused.
vernon got the touches alright, they just don't always translate to catches. i really liked his rushing attempt though, it takes the catching out of the process which is what he has trouble with
Old 12-16-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
vernon got the touches alright, they just don't always translate to catches. i really liked his rushing attempt though, it takes the catching out of the process which is what he has trouble with
I think that is just the fact that he is thinking too much. Last year when he knew he was in the gameplan and knew the ball was coming to him, he had no problem catching the ball.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hear you with RT being our biggest need, but as I go back and compare numbers, I wonder if some of the problem really wasn't just JTO. I really am leaning towards a pass rushing DE in the 1st and the best OT in the 2nd.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
you have to invest it in a WR/QB/DE
I agree with the DE part of that. I'd love to see us take Orakpo, if he's there. But this seems to be a rather OT heavy draft, so a 2nd round RT could be found. Regardless, I think it's pretty obvious that RT, FS, and a pass rush are the biggest needs and whatever presents the BPA when we're on the board should be the one taken.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I agree with the DE part of that. I'd love to see us take Orakpo, if he's there. But this seems to be a rather OT heavy draft, so a 2nd round RT could be found. Regardless, I think it's pretty obvious that RT, FS, and a pass rush are the biggest needs and whatever presents the BPA when we're on the board should be the one taken.
I'm totally with you on this, with one exception: Michael Crabtree. I know that WR isn't our "biggest need", but from a pure best player available standpoint, I wouldn't be upset if we go that route in the first. Now, when the draft rolls around, I think Crabtree goes top 5, maybe even top 3, so I don't think that issue will come up with us anyway unless we trade up. I would only want to trade up for Jenkins or Crabtree since IMO those 2 are the only top tier players at their position that we'd need to go up to get.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
Sorry but thats not how I see it. Sims comes off the bench to replace an injured Snyder and everyone expects him to go one on one with Porter who's standing up as opposed to being in a stance and think that he can handle him? I dont care if you like Sims or not but not putting a RB or someone in the backfield to help out Sims against Porter is more dumb than anything I could ever say. Martz loves leaving his QB out to dry and since he doesnt care for Hill, is anyone really surprised by that playcall at the end of the game?

I'm not surprised at all. Sims was beat but what if Snyder was out there instead of Sims and Porter beat him? Would you be syaing that it was Snyder's fault or the fact that there was no one there to help him?

Bottom line in my opinion is that it was a bad playcall and that Martz should easily know better but doesnt. I'm just waiting for him to be gone. Just two more weeks to go.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sorry but thats not how I see it. Sims comes off the bench to replace an injured Snyder and everyone expects him to go one on one with Porter who's standing up as opposed to being in a stance and think that he can handle him? I dont care if you like Sims or not but not putting a RB or someone in the backfield to help out Sims against Porter is more dumb than anything I could ever say. Martz loves leaving his QB out to dry and since he doesnt care for Hill, is anyone really surprised by that playcall at the end of the game?

I'm not surprised at all. Sims was beat but what if Snyder was out there instead of Sims and Porter beat him? Would you be syaing that it was Snyder's fault or the fact that there was no one there to help him?

Bottom line in my opinion is that it was a bad playcall and that Martz should easily know better but doesnt. I'm just waiting for him to be gone. Just two more weeks to go.
I agree with Dan here. When you have a huge liability in Sims who has given up pressure consistently all game, you have to give him help. Especially on 4th and 10. A back chipping Porter, a TE, something. Sims is a huge liability and Martz left him alone to face Porter 1 on 1 on a 7 step drop during a 4th and 10. I hate Barry Sims but Martz screwed up in a late game situation yet again.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Either way I don't care how bad you are you should be able to hold him for longer than a two count. Seriously you guys need to start putting some blame on the players instead of just the coaches. I don't think holding someone up for atleast a three four count is too much to ask.

With how heavy this tackle class could be, we should target Taylor Mays in the first.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
I'm totally with you on this, with one exception: Michael Crabtree.
I have seen many of his games and in person. The guy gets no separation, he just relies on his athletic ability rather than route running or speed. I am probably in small minority but I am not as high on him as everyone else.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Alex Smith update: here and here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrows
So, what are the chances that Smith actually returns to the 49ers? Two things this season helped facilitate his return. The most important -- by a wide margin -- is Nolan's departure. Nolan seems to have made it his life-mission to undermine his former quarterback. The second is the emergence of Shaun Hill. Hill has played well enough to go into 2009 as the starter. That gives the 49ers two luxuries: They don't have to use a first-round draft pick on a quarterback. Instead, they can use a mid-round pick and let him develop. It also allows them to see whether Smith has fully recovered. Smith and Hill also get along well, and there would be no ego clash if Smith had to play behind Hill.

McCloughan's presence also bodes well for a Smith return. After all, what other general manager in the league would be apt to give Smith as good an opportunity than the one who drafted him in the first place? In that regard, Smith's decision to stick around the team facility this season -- and more importantly, to stay in contact with McCloughan -- was a wise decision.
I hope he comes back at a lower salary. It would be better than overpaying some free agent and I'd rather we spend a 1st rounder on someone who doesn't play QB. Plus, I like the guy and would love for him to succeed here and actually reach his potential since he's like 24 or so.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Alex Smith update: here and here.

I hope he comes back at a lower salary. It would be better than overpaying some free agent and I'd rather we spend a 1st rounder on someone who doesn't play QB. Plus, I like the guy and would love for him to succeed here and actually reach his potential since he's like 24 or so.
I wouldn't mind re-signing Smith, but i hope it doesn't stop us from drafting a QB in the 1st round if theres a QB the 49ers like.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I wouldn't mind re-signing Smith, but i hope it doesn't stop us from drafting a QB in the 1st round if theres a QB the 49ers like.
We won't take one in the first round. It sounded like from the blog I read on the Niners site Alex is open to just about anything. I think he will be back next year. I would love to see him and Shaun compete for the starting job.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
if there's a QB the 49ers like.
I imagine that unless Matt Stafford slips to the Niners there wont be a 1st round QB they're interested in.