Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
Like who? I highly doubt they sign any big FA's
I think Sharper's best days are behind him and players like Atogwe, Collins or even Rolle would be better options for the Niners. Sharper would be just an expensive "quick fix" for a year or two, tops. I want a player more in his prime that will have an impact for the next few years if they spend the money to sign a big name.

Additionally, I believe the Niners have some good younger players at the position (Smith, Taylor) that I want to see them continue to develop. I'm also for them drafting a playmaker like Earl Thomas to help fill the need at Safety.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman
I think Sharper's best days are behind him and players like Atogwe, Collins or even Rolle would be better options for the Niners. Sharper would be just an expensive "quick fix" for a year or two, tops. I want a player more in his prime that will have an impact for the next few years if they spend the money to sign a big name.

Additionally, I believe the Niners have some good younger players at the position (Smith, Taylor) that I want to see them continue to develop. I'm also for them drafting a playmaker like Earl Thomas to help fill the need at Safety.
I agree that Atogwe, Collins or Rolle would be better options but Rolle is going to demand a lot of money and I dont think he's worth what he's going to be asking for especially since im sure his agent has already told him that he'll get a great deal once ARZ releases him because if not, he would just take a pay cut.

Atogwe has been tendered at the first and third round level and there's no way in hell I would give that up plus a huge contract.

I still dont know what Collins has been tendered at. If anyone knows, please post the information. Thanks.

Back to Sharper though, I suggested him because he would be an upgrade overall in the secondary, brings experience and veteran leadership. Granted, he would only be our FS for 2010 but another reason is that safeties like Atogwe, Collins, etc. who are RFA's now because there's no CBA will be UFA's in 2011 since they'll have six accrued seasons which means Atogwe/Collins could be UFA's in 2011 if they dont get franchised or sign long term deals.

Also, signing Sharper would allow us to draft a possible FS but ease him in or see what Smith/Taylor can do in spot duty while at the same time, not having any pressure on them.

And here's a better question -

Would you rather pay Lewis his 2010 salary or use that amount of money on Sharper and move Goldson to SS?
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since free agency is five days away, I figured that it's time for an updated off-season wishlist. Tee hee.

Release -

WR Brandon Jones
SS Michael Lewis

Trade -

OG David Baas depending on tender or keep for 2010*
RB Michael Robinson for a late round draft pick

Sign -

RB Darren Sproles
WR Terrell Owens
FS Darren Sharper

Draft -

1A) RT Trent Williams
1B) OG Mike Iupati

Roster -

QB - Smith, Hill, Davis
RB - Gore, Sproles (FA), Coffee
FB - Norris
WR - Owens (FA), Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Zeigler
TE - Davis, Walker, Curtis
C - Heitmann, Wallace
OG - Iupati (R), Rachal, Baas*, Wragge
OT - Staley, Williams (R), Sims, Snyder

K - Nedney
P - Lee
LS - Jennings

DT - Franklin, Sopoaga, Jean-Francois
DE - Smith, Balmer, McDonald, Evans
OLB - Lawson, Haralson, Brooks, Briggs
ILB - Willis, Spikes, McKillop, Wilhelm
CB - Clements, Spencer, Brown, Hudson
SS - Goldson, Smith
FS - Sharper (FA), Taylor

That's 51 players and doesnt include draft picks from round 2-7 so obviously it would change but all in all, I dont think thats bad at all or unreasonable.

And yeah, yeah, I know about T.O. I'm the only 49er fan who would welcome him back with open arms and blah blah blah. Either way, if Smth cant suceed with an improved OL, Owens, Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Gore and Sproles on offense, we'll have a much bigger problem in 2011 than T.O. could ever be. :)
Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post

I guess I should clarify.

I don't think they will get Sharper, but I especially doubt they end up with Collins or Atogwe. They just aren't going to break the bank this year. McCloughan has essentially said so...

He also basically eliminated the possibility of taking Earl Thomas, at least as a S. I could see him grabbing Thomas as a CB though...

I think Chad Jones is the possible pick at S if we go there.

I agree with you that they won't go after Sharper. But I don't think its because they will explore other FA options at S though...
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers really need to get a safety with some darn range. Roman obviously isn't going to cut it. Reggie Smith has shown practically nothing, not even flashes of potential. Curtis Taylor seems like he's fit more for a strong safety type? Goldson should move to strong safety along with Michael Lewis rotating. No one in the secondary really has great speed to play more of a free safety role...unless a corner changes position.

I really wouldn't think it would be that big of a risk or splash to try and go after a player like Collins or Otogwe in free agency. The secondary needs help, and I don't see any rookie making a huge impact by there unless it's Eric Berry who we probably won't get.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The 49ers really need to get a safety with some darn range. Roman obviously isn't going to cut it. Reggie Smith has shown practically nothing, not even flashes of potential. Curtis Taylor seems like he's fit more for a strong safety type?
Yes, they need someone with range, preferably someone who has hands to get some INTs.

No, Roman won't cut it anymore.

Reggie Smith has shown some flashes of good things IMO, especially in training camp and preseason, but he also proved to be raw and inconsistent and therefore didn't develop the trust of the coaching staff resulting in him not getting much PT during the season. Hopefully he can follow Goldson and take the next step.

Curtis Taylor is BIG and would project much better to a SS. He has some skills, but will need to fight for his roster spot.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Niners apply second-round tender to Ahmad Brooks
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 7:14 PM ET

Linebacker Ahmad Brooks, a bust from the 2006 supplemental draft who has made the most of his second chance in San Francisco, won't be leaving the Bay Area just yet.

Brooks is a restricted free agent, and the 49ers have decided to apply to him a second-round tender, according to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle.

To preserve Brooks' rights at that level, the Niners were required to offer him a one-year, $1.759 million contract.

Per White, the team and Brooks had been discussing a long-term deal, but the talks were unsuccessful and have since ended.

Brooks has spent two seasons in San Francisco. He has never started a game for the 49ers; he started seven in two seasons with the Bengals.

Niners tender Baas, too
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 8:28 PM ET

The San Francisco 49ers have announced that linebackers Ahmad Brooks and guard David Bass have received restricted free agency tenders.

Brooks, as previously reported by David White of the San Francisco Chronicle, has been tendered at the second-round level. Baas has been tendered at the second-round level as well, but via the lower "original draft round" price tag of $1.226 million.

Baas, who joined the team in 2005, has appeared in 76 career games with 38 starts.

Both players would have been unrestricted free agents but for the rules of the uncapped year.

---

On a side note, Packers FS Nick Collins hasnt been tendered yet which probably means that they're working out a long term contract but im personally still hoping they screw up somehow.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there any sources (link wise) that says Dashon Goldson will switch to SS if a FS comes in?

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:57 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Is there any sources (link wise) that says Dashon Goldson will switch to SS if a FS comes in?
Don't believe so Yay. I don't think they would ever come out and say that either especially since, as a few on here have pointed out, FS and SS are interchangeable for Manusky.

But, with that said, If Goldson was far superior to another safety as far as physicality, then he'd be in the box more than the other - "strong".
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't believe so Yay. I don't think they would ever come out and say that either especially since, as a few on here have pointed out, FS and SS are interchangeable for Manusky.
Now hear this: Attencion, damas y caballeros: Taylor Mays just ran a 4.24 at the Combine. The price of rookie safeties just went up, waaaaay up
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Now hear this: Attencion, damas y caballeros: Taylor Mays just ran a 4.24 at the Combine. The price of rookie safeties just went up, waaaaay up
HOLY S***!!! I still want to see him pick a ball once in awhile though.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
The official time came out at 4.43 though.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
4.43 at 230 lbs is still sick. I think it was faster than that though. I timed it over and over and I kept getting high 4.2s and low 4.3s.

Granted, i'm no pro.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

His running time passed the eye test but it's still mainly about on-field tape.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah he's a nice package but the football instincts have yet to be found. I used to be a Mays supporter but his play really disappointed me this season.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Yeah he's a nice package but the football instincts have yet to be found. I used to be a Mays supporter but his play really disappointed me this season.
he has plenty of football instincts, he was worried the whole season about not hurting his knee again so that he didn't have any injury issues going into the draft. what few people know is that he hurt his knee again during the ASU game and so, rather than go out and lay his body on the line all the time, instead he did what he could without leaving himself vulnerable
Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good thing he only runs in a straight line for 40 yards at a time. Was any one really doubting his 40 time? Who cares? I would rather concern myself with his ability to instinctively attack passes. Can he change direction on a dime? That is something more worthwhile in a conversation about a safety.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
Still better safety than Lewis though. Per PFW again, 11 teams have safety as a draft top pick priority, supply & demand would seem to predict that alone will make Berry & Mays very wealthy men next month
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
he has plenty of football instincts, he was worried the whole season about not hurting his knee again so that he didn't have any injury issues going into the draft. what few people know is that he hurt his knee again during the ASU game and so, rather than go out and lay his body on the line all the time, instead he did what he could without leaving himself vulnerable
So you're saying it's a positive thing that he doesn't lay his body on the line for the team and "does what can" to save himself?

Ray McDonald laughs in your face

Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This CB class is pretty underwhelming. The best value IMo would be getting a guy like Robinson or Wilson in the second round, that's about it. I like the Safety class though, Earl Thomas is looking sexier and sexier.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Good thing he only runs in a straight line for 40 yards at a time. Was any one really doubting his 40 time? Who cares? I would rather concern myself with his ability to instinctively attack passes. Can he change direction on a dime? That is something more worthwhile in a conversation about a safety.
I'm not sure anyone here was doubting his 40 time but there were plenty of people that were. You're absolutely right, the straight line speed doesn't translate to the game not at a distance of 40 anyway, his splits would be interesting to see though.

Change of direction - absolutely spot on, much more important. And to be honest...I thought he showed really good hips today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
This CB class is pretty underwhelming. The best value IMo would be getting a guy like Robinson or Wilson in the second round, that's about it. I like the Safety class though, Earl Thomas is looking sexier and sexier.
Where do you think McCourty is going to end up? Sneak his way into the first? I think he'd be a good value in the 2nd and he's a bigger guy at 5-11 193, which would fit the bill for scotty mac.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Yeah, the CB position is looking a little weak, but there may be a good value in the middle rounds if teams don't reach too much just to add one to their roster. Guess we'll see on Draft weekend.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would any one be all that mad if it went:

1a) Spiller - We all know what he can do.
1b) Haden or Mays - We need secondary help/depth.
2) Saffold - Solves RT issue

I would be happy with such a turn out with the first three. Something I thought of while watching kids working on practice TAKS (state standardized testing) today.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

How would you guys rank our needs?

IMO, secondary help is the number one. The secondary is the only NOT GREAT thing about our defense. One person is the missing piece to this puzzle. After that is found, 2000 RAVENS SON!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM    (permalink
agubie
Rookie

agubie is a cocksman.agubie is a cocksman.agubie is a cocksman.agubie is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Would any one be all that mad if it went:

1a) Spiller - We all know what he can do.
1b) Haden or Mays - We need secondary help/depth.
2) Saffold - Solves RT issue
i am all for these 1st 3 picks. i would go with Mays based on his combine and senior bowl. with proper coaching i think he can develop into a pro bowl caliber safety especially if Sig is on his ass from day 1.
agubie is offline   Reply With Quote