Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see Smith back. Clearly it'll be Hill's job to lose but I could see Alex forcing his way into the line up after mid year. I'm actually pretty high on Alex - with some stability at OC and the pressure off him I think get can still work out. He's only 24 so thats gotta be in our favour too.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dunno.. I see Alex Smith with a stable OC and I see Shaun Hill with a stable OC but I still think Hill is better. Smith has all the athleticism and tools you look for and yes he is 24, but I think Hill should have the job locked up by now.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think one of the first moves for the Niners this off season will be to redo Alex's last 2 years on his contract to pay him similar money to Hill. Hill may start the season next year, but if Alex does have stability, and shows signs of leadership, he may over seat him at some point next season, with 2010 being the season he returns full time as the starter.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously the key to our QB development is stability at OC. With Martz at OC it's not likely that he stays more than a couple of years. What I'd like to see is Martz appoint a 'successor', maybe to one of the junior coaching roles and bring him up to run the same system after he leaves.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we will still have Martz next year.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:24 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm 50/50 on wanting Martz back. I mean, he's been calling some good games lately with Hill. Sort of a quasi-WCO type of offense. And i wouldnt mind him back if he kept calling games like these. But if it were up to him and not singletary im pretty confident JTO would still be starting with a lot of 7 step drops. He's a big play kind of guy.

That being said, i think he leaves and takes JTO with him.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:33 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully, Norv Turner gets fired and we can bring him back. I easily prefer him over Martz. Turner sucks as a HC but kicks ass as an OC. And switching to yet another OC wouldnt matter this time since both Hill and Smith worked with Turner in 2006. Three years later, we might finally be able to put up some points.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a trade idea I had yesterday -

Depending on where we're drafting and if the top three players that we want / need are gone, would you mind trading the first rounder to CLE for WR Braylon Edwards who has one year left on his rookie contract?

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Hopefully, Norv Turner gets fired and we can bring him back. I easily prefer him over Martz. Turner sucks as a HC but kicks ass as an OC. And switching to yet another OC wouldnt matter this time since both Hill and Smith worked with Turner in 2006. Three years later, we might finally be able to put up some points.
This is one of the few things I agree with you on, Dan. I think that Martz has been calling great games since Singletary took over but if Norv is fired, I would love for him to be the OC again. I think his game planning is just what Singletary wants and the system that Norv runs is what our offense is built for. Not to mention that Frank Gore had his best year under Norv's tenure (that was also the one year where Alex didn't look like a waste).

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
This is one of the few things I agree with you on, Dan. I think that Martz has been calling great games since Singletary took over but if Norv is fired, I would love for him to be the OC again. I think his game planning is just what Singletary wants and the system that Norv runs is what our offense is built for. Not to mention that Frank Gore had his best year under Norv's tenure (that was also the one year where Alex didn't look like a waste).
Smith played well in 2006 and looked like he was going to be good until Nolan screwed up his shoulder and tried to blame him for not wanting to play. Thank God that Nolan is gone. Nolan is also the guy that didnt want to bring back Antonio Bryant which sucks considering what he's doing in Tampa. Oh well.

And I just read on PFT that Mike Holmgren said that he still has "an itch" to coach as opposed to taking a year off. I'm guessing that he's going to see what offers are presented to him before he decides to take a year or more off. Personally, I would love to bring him back to where he belongs. Imagine Holmgren and hopefully Turner as our HC and OC respectively. Oh man, im getting goosebumps. LOL.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And I just read on PFT that Mike Holmgren said that he still has "an itch" to coach as opposed to taking a year off. I'm guessing that he's going to see what offers are presented to him before he decides to take a year or more off. Personally, I would love to bring him back to where he belongs. Imagine Holmgren and hopefully Turner as our HC and OC respectively. Oh man, im getting goosebumps. LOL.
I like Holmgren, but my top choice would be Josh McDaniels. He loses his franchise QB and that offense is still running efficiently. He adjusted the gameplan for Cassel, allowing him to make tons of short passes in the beginning. Now he lets Cassel throw it deep. Not to mention the running game is decent despite losing Maroney and having a RB by committee.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

i'm sure mcdaniels will take another job than here. i mean, he is used to winning.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Depending on where we're drafting and if the top three players that we want / need are gone, would you mind trading the first rounder to CLE for WR Braylon Edwards who has one year left on his rookie contract?

Thoughts?
No.

If Martz keeps up how he has been then I would not mind bringing him back.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thoughts?
SF's 1st and 5th for Edwards + Clevlands 2nd.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
SF's 1st and 5th for Edwards + Clevlands 2nd.
I don't think the Browns would do that. They'd maybe trade Winslow, but not Edwards AND give up a second. Some other team would give up more for him.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

One reason why I would want Holmgren over anyone else is that if there's anyone who can develop Smith into a franchise QB, it's him. He made Favre and Hasselbeck franchise QB's and would hopefully do the same with Smith.

Add in Turner who was Aikman's OC in Dallas and there's a pretty damn good chance that Smith can still be our franchise QB starting in 2010. If Smith was to fail with Holmgren and Turner, it would then be obvious that we would need a new franchise QB.

The reason why I dont want Martz is because eventually, his ego will screw everything up. I dont like him and never wanted him to begin with and quite honestly, dont want him back in 2009 regardless of what happens with Turner in SD. Nolan hired Martz and Nolan is gone, time to let Martz follow him.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

CLE would maybe take a first rounder for him because think about it - if they franchise him in 2010, he'll most likely have a clause in which he cant be franchised again so instead of taking a chance of losing him for free, wouldnt it be smarter to trade him for a first rounder, avoid paying him what he's going to want and get something in return as opposed to letting him leave for free.

Look at Haynesworth. He's going to be an UFA in March. Titans will either overpay him or will lose him for free. Same thing happened with Justin Smith, Asante Samuel and im sure that there's others. Just doesnt make any sense to me because even if I had to accept less in a trade, its still better than getting nothing in return whatsoever.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
CLE would maybe take a first rounder for him because think about it - if they franchise him in 2010, he'll most likely have a clause in which he cant be franchised again so instead of taking a chance of losing him for free, wouldnt it be smarter to trade him for a first rounder, avoid paying him what he's going to want and get something in return as opposed to letting him leave for free.
The idea wasn't Edwards for a 1st, Dan. It was Edwards AND their 2nd for the Niners 1st AND 5th. That's way too little compensation for an elite WR like Edwards. Unlike Haynesworth, Edwards could be there 2 more years at least because the Browns could franchise him. Haynesworth will hit the open market as an unrestricted FA as he just reached a clause in his contract by reaching the Pro Bowl.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

With Singletary as the head coach I think Martz will be fine in that situation. Sing is not a push over like Nolan and will control him.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman
The idea wasn't Edwards for a 1st, Dan. It was Edwards AND their 2nd for the Niners 1st AND 5th. That's way too little compensation for an elite WR like Edwards. Unlike Haynesworth, Edwards could be there 2 more years at least because the Browns could franchise him. Haynesworth will hit the open market as an unrestricted FA as he just reached a clause in his contract by reaching the Pro Bowl.
Wait a minute. A first rounder is too little but a first and a fifth for Edwards and their second isnt? You're kidding me right? Why would CLE trade Edwards and their second rounder for our first and our fifth? Thats even worse than just trading Edwards for a first rounder.

And Haynesworth became an UFA once the team won it's tenth game as that was one of five incentives in his contract that would allow him to become an UFA and prevent TEN from franchising him in 2009.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wait a minute. A first rounder is too little but a first and a fifth for Edwards and their second isnt? You're kidding me right? Why would CLE trade Edwards and their second rounder for our first and our fifth? Thats even worse than just trading Edwards for a first rounder.
That's what he said when he wrote "That's way too little compensation for an elite WR like Edwards"

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't Edwards lead the league in dropped passes this year?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

The more and more I think of the draft and free agency the more clearer things are getting.

I really want us to take a shot at a FS. If William Moore was to slip to us, that would be great. I'm not too high on Taylor Mays as some others.

In the free agency that would great for us to Sign Gross and/or Suggs.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Who do you guys think we will get in FA? I don't see us making a big splash this year (i dont think its wise long-term to break the bank on a RT). Here are my FA predictions

-LB Leroy Hill (Seahawks). 4 years, 15 million, 5.5 mil guaranteed.
-FS Vince Fuller (Titans). 3 years, 11 million, 3.5 million guaranteed.

I wouldn't sign someone like Atogwe because he's a huge gambler and gets burned often. I don't think we re-sign Spikes, i see us going younger.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

We need to re-sign Spikes he has been awesome this year. I hope we don't go out and spend a ton of money this year. Us getting Suggs would not suprise me.