Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather sign Suggs as our BIG acquisition and Draft a OT to pair with Staley. I think it's easier to find a good OT in the Draft than predict who will be a dominant pass rusher.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suggs would be great.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Who do you guys think we will get in FA? I don't see us making a big splash this year (i dont think its wise long-term to break the bank on a RT). Here are my FA predictions

-LB Leroy Hill (Seahawks). 4 years, 15 million, 5.5 mil guaranteed.
-FS Vince Fuller (Titans). 3 years, 11 million, 3.5 million guaranteed.

I wouldn't sign someone like Atogwe because he's a huge gambler and gets burned often. I don't think we re-sign Spikes, i see us going younger.
Both those wouldnt be bad options but I would rather take Suggs over Hill.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Both those wouldnt be bad options but I would rather take Suggs over Hill.
Yes if we sign anyone it should be Suggs.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The chances of Suggs hitting FA has become better and here's why - Ray Lewis and Bart Scott are both UFA's as well. Obviously, only one of the three can be franchised and my guess would be Lewis. Granted, Baltimore could resign any combination of the three before the tagging deadline but if that doesnt happen and Suggs becomes an UFA, we should definitely go all out in signing him. For all the obvious reasons, signing Suggs would make up for not signing Thomas in 2007 and passing on Groves this past April.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont believe Suggs leaves. He'll stay and they'll let Bart Scott go. Ed Hartwell sucked without Lewis, just like Scott will, and they have Gooden to take Scott's place. And you know Lewis isnt going to leave.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
For all the obvious reasons, signing Suggs would make up for not signing Thomas in 2007 and passing on Groves this past April.
Though the jury is still out on Groves because he's a rookie, I believe Suggs will easily have the best career of the 3. Plus, he's just entering his prime and would be an above average, if not dominant player, throughout a long term deal he would sign. Can you imagine a core of Suggs, Man-Law and Willis together for the next 5-8+ years? Awesome!

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I dont believe Suggs leaves. He'll stay and they'll let Bart Scott go. Ed Hartwell sucked without Lewis, just like Scott will, and they have Gooden to take Scott's place. And you know Lewis isnt going to leave.
True, Lewis is their franchise player and wouldn't likely leave. But that means that Suggs has a better chance to hit free agency.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Looking back, I think discussing the situation with Thomas is irrelevant. He wasn't going to come here, I think he was just using us as leverage to raise his price with the Pats. He wanted to go somewhere where he could actually win a championship.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looking back, I think discussing the situation with Thomas is irrelevant. He wasn't going to come here, I think he was just using us as leverage to raise his price with the Pats. He wanted to go somewhere where he could actually win a championship.
I suspect it might be the same with Suggs...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I highly doubt Suggs leaves if anyone it will be Scott.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

If you all remember, Suggs was talking about going to Arizona, and having the desire to maybe play there. There were subsequent talks about a trade for Boldin to bring Suggs in, but it never got anywhere. If he was interested in coming to AZ (where he played college ball) then why not stay in the division and play in the bay (if the money and a 3-4 type D is there).

Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

If the 49ers sign Terrell Suggs this offseason through FA, it would help our Defense tremndously, especially if we keep our starting D from this year. I believe that would pretty much take Roderick Green's roster spot, despite him playing as a down man primarily this year. My first guess is that Haralson would move into Green's role more or less, and Suggs stepping into exactly what he's been doing in B-more. Its unclear to me what effect that would have on Lawson's role and playing time, because he shows each week he could be doing a lot, could be a 3 down player. But Oh how we've been seeing average, even less than average secondaries look top-notch with great pass rush. A signing like Terrell Suggs could have our Defense right where it needs to be. But I think the 49ers D can Improve more so at a different position.

I believe the difference maker the 49ers are looking for needs to be at the safety position. Lewis has played well overall, but is only average in pass D, the worse the deeper you get. His speed is declining I think, citing David Martin (looking like Moss after he ran away from him, after ******** on Roman.) But he is keeping our Defense on track, which his counterpart Mark Roman, is not. Opposing offenses have definitely keyed on Roman this year, most recently the Miami game. He does not have the strength, speed, or power to be a force in the run game, and his deep coverage is absolute trash. He can't create turnovers at all, which is a must when our pass rush can't create their own. I wonder what dynamic it would have giving the radio headset to someone else, as Roman has been getting the calls most of the year(Willis, it's all yours). Dashon Goldson has showed some promise, but has been injured, and has't got back onto the field on d efense yet. I believe Taylor Mays is the guy we need to key during this draft process. He has tremendous size and strength, and good speed (we'll wait and see what he runs at the combine). A former reciever, and you can tell when he gets the ball in his hands. He'll be a huge upgrade in pass coverage on TE's, we'll see if he has the hips and/or quickness to stay with the slot guys. His run support will also upgrade our D, but I haven't seen him blitz much, SC has him play centerfield quite a bit.

Let me know what you think-

(I can't help but throw in that Barry Sims must go. I will go as far as saying not going to the playoffs is a direct result of him being on the team. He is easily one of the worst players in the NFL, at any position. Sims attempting to pull gets more laughs from other teams than a season of The Chapelle show does. The raiders get K. Harris, we get B Sims.... jesus.)

Last edited by THIZZorDIE : 12-22-2008 at 02:04 PM.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

I HATED Kwame and was SOOOOOO happy to see him go, but he was an overall better player than Sims...so pathetic.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Perhaps it's because I was a D-lineman, but I see that as a bigger need then Safety. I guess it's like deciding which is more, 6 or half a dozen.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well.. Seeing a deep Tackle class I think we should address our safety problem IMMEDIATELY in the draft.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Yes our first defensive player taken needs to be a FS.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if we go defense we're going with the DL. If we want to run this 3-4 we need a NT. And even if we run a 4-3 we could use an interior presence. I know we drafted Balmer but in a 3-4 he's a DE and in a 4-3, its not like Sopoaga or Franklin are reliable so we could use 2 potential studs in the middle anyway. I'm really liking Raji.

If we go offense i see a RT (if any of the big 3 fall), WR (Jeremy Maclin?) or maybe a QB if Stafford/Bradford falls.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I think if we go defense we're going with the DL. If we want to run this 3-4 we need a NT. And even if we run a 4-3 we could use an interior presence. I know we drafted Balmer but in a 3-4 he's a DE and in a 4-3, its not like Sopoaga or Franklin are reliable so we could use 2 potential studs in the middle anyway. I'm really liking Raji.

If we go offense i see a RT (if any of the big 3 fall), WR (Jeremy Maclin?) or maybe a QB if Stafford/Bradford falls.
I thought NT would be a good position to address early on but lately our D-line has been playing really well. Franklin seems to be getting better and they stopped moving Smith around and left him at DE and he's been great. I think FS should first be addressed, RT next and then go with a pass rushing OLB or NT, which ever is available.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought NT would be a good position to address early on but lately our D-line has been playing really well. Franklin seems to be getting better and they stopped moving Smith around and left him at DE and he's been great. I think FS should first be addressed, RT next and then go with a pass rushing OLB or NT, which ever is available.
I got halfway through reading your post, but then I got distracted by Aubrayo Franklin jumping offsides once again.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
I got halfway through reading your post, but then I got distracted by Aubrayo Franklin jumping offsides once again.
Haha I know, I know. I kept yelling "LOOK AT THE ******* BALL IN FRONT OF YOU!" but for the most part, while it'd be great to get a nice NT, it's not the most important need, but still important.

Also, Tank Johnson is a FA this off-season, I'd like to see us take him but I would be shocked if he left Dallas for the Niners.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NT is a position where you wanna sign a proven 3-4 NT. Let's face it, some players are just not cut out for it and with so little teams actually running it in college, taking one in the draft is a shot in the dark. I think our more important concerns are suring up the O-Line and getting Mark Roman off the field.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're able to sign Suggs, I think switching back to the 4-3 makes the most sense because our DL would be set with Suggs, Sopoaga, Balmer and Smith. The need for a dominant NT would be eliminated. LB wise, we have Lawson and Willis and just need the other OLB which would probably be Haralson.

DB wise, I still want CB Malcolm Jenkins the most so Smith can be moved to FS. Are any of the FS available the caliber of Kenny Phillips? If not, I wouldnt even think about drafting one with our first round draft pick.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I'm pretty sure they are planning on bulking up Balmer and having him play NT. Could be wrong but that's what I remember. As far as the QB situation I honestly fell better about it than I have in a while with Shaun and Alex competing for it next year.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
NT is a position where you wanna sign a proven 3-4 NT. Let's face it, some players are just not cut out for it and with so little teams actually running it in college, taking one in the draft is a shot in the dark. I think our more important concerns are suring up the O-Line and getting Mark Roman off the field.
You have to take a chance eventually. We can't keep expecting guys like Franklin and Fields to be our NT and then wonder why we always suck.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote