Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

this draft isn't very deep and neither is the fa market, i'd say sf is in good position to draft the best available player come april.
enough w/ the " alex smith" should compete with shaun hill. what for? hill is doing a great job and winning. keyword. winning games unlike smith.
the guys that should go are sims, jennings, roman, fields, franklin, harris and spencer. i like harris and spencer but injurys and age are getting to both of them.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

As much as I would love to get Suggs, I think Haynesworth is really the prize of this offseason. He can dominate at the NT position, meaning that Franklin can be a sub (better suited for that role). This will ease the pressure off of our LB core and the other DE's. Bc he made the probowl means he will be an UFA which means he goes to the highest bidder.

Plus, this is a deep class for 34 OLB prospects and I would much rather draft at this position as the transition is much fast than D-line.

With our 1st pick one of these guys will be available:
OLBs: Orakpo, Johnson or English
S: Mays or Moore can't go wrong with either
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
this draft isn't very deep and neither is the fa market, i'd say sf is in good position to draft the best available player come april.
enough w/ the " alex smith" should compete with shaun hill. what for? hill is doing a great job and winning. keyword. winning games unlike smith.
the guys that should go are sims, jennings, roman, fields, franklin, harris and spencer. i like harris and spencer but injurys and age are getting to both of them.
Spencer is a 5 year pro.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Spencer is a 5 year pro.
Plus he is signed through 2012, his price is reasonable till 2010.

9/20/2006: Signed a five-year, $20 million contract extension through 2012. The deal included a $6 million signing bonus and contains $8.5 million in total guarantees. 2008: $680,000, 2009: $1.67 million, 2010: $2.85 million, 2011: $3.1 million, 2012: $3.2 million, 2013: Free Agent
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
As much as I would love to get Suggs, I think Haynesworth is really the prize of this offseason. He can dominate at the NT position, meaning that Franklin can be a sub (better suited for that role). This will ease the pressure off of our LB core and the other DE's. Bc he made the probowl means he will be an UFA which means he goes to the highest bidder.

Plus, this is a deep class for 34 OLB prospects and I would much rather draft at this position as the transition is much fast than D-line.

With our 1st pick one of these guys will be available:
OLBs: Orakpo, Johnson or English
S: Mays or Moore can't go wrong with either

The way Sing talks about Franklin, I'm not convinced that we would get into the Haynesworth bidding war. Especially if you're talking about a Haynesworth vs. Suggs situation. I think Sing would definitely go after a baltimore guy.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Franklin has played very well down the stretch this season. I doubt Sing goes after a NT.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forget Haynesworth. He was basically a bust for five years and then all of a sudden became awesome last season because it was a contract year. Gets franchised and the only reason why he's still playing at a high level is because he hasnt cashed in yet. Like the majority of DT's, once he does cash in, he will go back to being a bust because he'll have gotten paid and with such a huge contract, the team wouldnt be able to do a damn thing about it.

Suggs is far more important to our defense than Haynesworth. We dont even need Haynesworth. Go back to the 4-3 and start Sopo and Balmer with Fields and Franklin as the backups with Smith and Suggs at DE and I think that we'll be set for years to come on the DL.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan, I don't think that Suggs will come here. He'll go to the highest bidder and I would be shocked if we're that team. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him chasing down QB's for us, whether it's at DE or OLB but I just cant see it happening. It's ADT all over again, as far as I am concerned: use the Niners to up his leverage elsewhere.

I doubt he goes out of Dallas but Tank Johnson has been a fantastic NT this year in Dallas, especially for a guy who never played it before. I wouldnt mind seeing the Niners sign him if the price is right but I dont see him leaving Dallas.

As for other FA's, the following are guys I wouldnt mind considering:
-S Dawan Landry, RFA, Baltimore
-S Bryant McFadden, UFA, Pittsburgh
-DE Chris Canty, UFA, Dallas
-NT Tank Johnson, UFA, Dallas

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Dan, I don't think that Suggs will come here. He'll go to the highest bidder and I would be shocked if we're that team. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him chasing down QB's for us, whether it's at DE or OLB but I just cant see it happening. It's ADT all over again, as far as I am concerned: use the Niners to up his leverage elsewhere.

I doubt he goes out of Dallas but Tank Johnson has been a fantastic NT this year in Dallas, especially for a guy who never played it before. I wouldnt mind seeing the Niners sign him if the price is right but I dont see him leaving Dallas.

As for other FA's, the following are guys I wouldnt mind considering:
-S Dawan Landry, RFA, Baltimore
-S Bryant McFadden, UFA, Pittsburgh
-DE Chris Canty, UFA, Dallas
-NT Tank Johnson, UFA, Dallas
I would make Suggs an offer and see what happens. As for NT, I dont see the point because I think that we're better off in the 4-3 and already have Sopoaga, Balmer, Fields and Franklin at DT. Wasting money on Johnson when we just paid Sopo and drafted Balmer doesnt make any sense to me. Going back to the 4-3 full time is the smarter move plus having two DT's in front of Willis will allow him to be even more dominant than he already is. And if were to go after Haynesworth and overpay him, we can definitely go after Suggs and overpay him instead.

Landry is good but I wouldnt want to give up draft picks for him plus sign him to an extension. McFadden is a CB, not a safety last time I checked. I think that Canty signed a long term deal but even if he didnt, he's not a pass rusher and I dont think that he would help us especially for the money that he'll be looking for. Of course, I dont see DAL letting him go anyway.

I know that FS is a huge need and whatnot but I dont understand why everyone is so against putting Smith there. If he can play CB, that means that he has coverage skills which is what everyone here complains about in regards to Roman and who should be at FS. We have plenty of depth at CB and moving Smith to FS is definitely an option.

I'm hoping for CB Malcolm Jenkins in the draft but I dont see it happening since we keep winning. Do you know any starting quality CB's who will be UFA's in March excluding McFadden?

Last edited by dan77733 : 12-25-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
As for NT, I dont see the point because I think that we're better off in the 4-3 and already have Sopoaga, Balmer, Fields and Franklin at DT. Wasting money on Johnson when we just paid Sopo and drafted Balmer doesnt make any sense to me. Going back to the 4-3 full time is the smarter move plus having two DT's in front of Willis will allow him to be even more dominant than he already is. And if were to go after Haynesworth and overpay him, we can definitely go after Suggs and overpay him instead.
I would be shocked if Manusky didnt come back at DC next year. That is why I am thinking in terms of a 3-4, like he runs. And if you have noticed, in the past 5 games or so, we haven't allowed more than 17 points. I would think that he's doing something right.

Quote:
Landry is good but I wouldnt want to give up draft picks for him plus sign him to an extension. McFadden is a CB, not a safety last time I checked. I think that Canty signed a long term deal but even if he didnt, he's not a pass rusher and I dont think that he would help us especially for the money that he'll be looking for. Of course, I dont see DAL letting him go anyway.

I know that FS is a huge need and whatnot but I dont understand why everyone is so against putting Smith there. If he can play CB, that means that he has coverage skills which is what everyone here complains about in regards to Roman and who should be at FS. We have plenty of depth at CB and moving Smith to FS is definitely an option.
I thought McFadden was a safety but I cannot recall. Like I said before, these are guys I would like to see considered. No one is against putting Smith at FS but it seems illogical to stick a guy at safety that hasnt been working as one for the team since he was drafted. And just because he played safety in college doesnt mean anything with regards to his ability to do so in the NFL, especially when he's been practicing as and playing cornerback for the Niners since last April.

Quote:
I'm hoping for CB Malcolm Jenkins in the draft but I dont see it happening since we keep winning. Do you know any starting quality CB's who will be UFA's in March excluding McFadden?
All I can think of are the following but I highly doubt that the Niners even target a CB in the draft early on, especially if Tarell Brown plays like he has been.
-Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland
-Dunta Robinson, UFA, Houston
-Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina
-Justin Miller, UFA, New York Jets
-Renaldo Hill, UFA, Miami

Old 12-25-2008, 08:01 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
Plus he is signed through 2012, his price is reasonable till 2010.

9/20/2006: Signed a five-year, $20 million contract extension through 2012. The deal included a $6 million signing bonus and contains $8.5 million in total guarantees. 2008: $680,000, 2009: $1.67 million, 2010: $2.85 million, 2011: $3.1 million, 2012: $3.2 million, 2013: Free Agent
my bad. i meant harris. spencer is cool and all but the acl scares me off.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:02 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

any signs as to who mike will hire as the new oc?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're running a WCO, i think Gill Haskell is a good possibility. He's going to be let go in Seattle for Moras buddy Greg Knapp. He certainly would be a good fit.

Continuing the FA talk...What do you guys think of signing Darren Sproles? He's a playmaker, a good returner, and would bring great depth from Gore. I think singletary wants this team to be a running team...we need 2 RBs and id rather sign a good FA than use a top draft pick on one. I dont think Sproles should be too expensive either. We could focus on a Short yardage back in the draft instead of looking for one alongside a complement to Gore.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Darren Sproles?
I think a short yardage guy is more important. Rossum is supposed to be re-signing and if so, that would eliminate the need for a guy like Sproles.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Tank Johnson would be a good pickup. There is no way Manusky gets fired he has been awesome this year.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I think a short yardage guy is more important. Rossum is supposed to be re-signing and if so, that would eliminate the need for a guy like Sproles.
I think we need a short-yardage back too but are there any available in FA? Maybe TJ Duckett or something.

I like Rossum too but he's been injury prone this year and he will turn 33 in the middle of next season. Sproles will be 26 and he has fresh legs. In 4 seasons hes only had 132 touches so he's still got a lot of football left in him. But we'll see anyways i guess.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Wouldnt mind Sproles at all. He's good but doeant have the chance to show it since he's behind Tomlinson. Would rather have him returning punts too. Sproles has 3 kick/punt return TD's in three years where as Rossum has 8 in over a decade.

Plus, Sproles can replace Foster who I dont really care for. And if only Robinson can be let go in favor of Clayton, I would be even happier.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wouldnt mind Sproles at all. He's good but doeant have the chance to show it since he's behind Tomlinson. Would rather have him returning punts too. Sproles has 3 kick/punt return TD's in three years where as Rossum has 8 in over a decade.

Plus, Sproles can replace Foster who I dont really care for. And if only Robinson can be let go in favor of Clayton, I would be even happier.
I think Robinson is gonna be a 49er for a very long time. Sproles would be a great pick up for us. He's so explosive.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the interest in coaching of Marshall Faulk, how would you guys feel if we brought him in as a RB's coach as long as Martz is around. I know most of you say he'll be gone but I think it would only help if Marshall Faulk was there to mentor Gore and Co. with Martz as the OC.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
With the interest in coaching of Marshall Faulk, how would you guys feel if we brought him in as a RB's coach as long as Martz is around. I know most of you say he'll be gone but I think it would only help if Marshall Faulk was there to mentor Gore and Co. with Martz as the OC.
I dont think he'd make a huge difference. He's basically been buddy-buddy with Gore since Martz was hired.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

If Faulk gets any job it would be runningback coach for the Rams.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I would be shocked if Manusky didnt come back at DC next year. That is why I am thinking in terms of a 3-4, like he runs. And if you have noticed, in the past 5 games or so, we haven't allowed more than 17 points. I would think that he's doing something right.
Very good point. We're also beginning to drop the 'hybrid' that Nolan was pushing which helps too. :)
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

as for the signing of chris gamble i believe that he signed an extension earlier in the season.
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
Very good point. We're also beginning to drop the 'hybrid' that Nolan was pushing which helps too. :)
No we aren't we have actually been running a hybrid that's why it's been working.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

The more i think about it, the more i think our 1st round pick (likely to be around 10ish) is going to go on defense.

Our biggest needs on offense are RT and WR. I have a hard time believing we will pay top 10 pick money to a RT. It's possible if one of the top 3 falls, but i imagine the FO will be content with Staley's play at LT as he has improved each and every game and is starting to show why we made that trade. I think we'll sign a mid-level FA (Stinchomb from the Saints, Carey from the Dolphins) or address it in the 2nd-3rd round. WR, i don't think we'll even look there unless Crabtree falls.

On defense though...we lack a NT for the 3-4. Even if we run a 4-3, our interior rush is pretty bad..QB's too often have a clean pocket to step up into. Raji makes the most sense here. We could still use an extra DE/OLB pass rusher. Okrapo/Brown make sense here, although Okrapo is probably a near lock to not make it to our pick. And Mark Roman/Dashon Goldson have been the worst FS combo in the league. Malcom Jenkins would be a smart pick. Maybe Taylor Mays as well. But i think Jenkins will easily be gone before our pick.

So yeah, at this incredibly early point in time...i think based on need and who will be available, Raji has the best shot at being our pick. But id prefer Crabtree/Jenkins if available. I've already given up hope though that Crabtree falls. I'm hoping Malcolm Jenkins is available, although i think B.J. Raji wouldn't be a bad consolation prize either.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 12-28-2008 at 02:05 AM.