Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM    (permalink
alexschnarr
Rookie

alexschnarr hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Dan no organization in the world would sign a coach to a 1 year deal, that is beyond stupid.

Sig by Mockalicious
alexschnarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably not but if Singletary is still under contract, he wouldnt have had many other options unless of course he wants to go to Detroit. LOL.

I just think that the York's are jumping the gun nstead of taking a wait and see approach. Go back to 2006, we finished strong at the end and went 7-9 and then sucked in 2007. Feels like the same thing here which is why I would have waited until after 2009 before giving Singletary a multi year deal.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Probably not but if Singletary is still under contract, he wouldnt have had many other options unless of course he wants to go to Detroit. LOL.
Uh, try again: Cleveland, Jets and Detroit, all fired their coaches. Dallas, KC, STL and possibly one more team could fire their coaches. With the way the team played down the stretch under Singletary, it would be foolish to think that someone wouldnt be interested in his services outside of Detroit.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I just think that the York's are jumping the gun nstead of taking a wait and see approach. Go back to 2006, we finished strong at the end and went 7-9 and then sucked in 2007. Feels like the same thing here which is why I would have waited until after 2009 before giving Singletary a multi year deal.
Not everyone is Mike Nolan.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bottom line, if it works out with Singletary, it will look like an excellent value (steal) for the Niners, and if not, we'll all criticize giving another inexperienced HC a long term deal. :)

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He off to the best 49er coaching record in years. There's OBVIOUSLY something Mike Nolan was missing that Sing has got.. and He's got alot of it.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What Mike did as an iterim coach has never been done before, and that's something to be excited about. He also gave Vernon a well deserved kick in the ass, and as a result was a Pro Bowl alternate.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just reading on another team's forum that the Chargers are expected to let DE Igor Olshansky leave as an UFA. If that happens, would he be a good addition to our 3-4 defense? I was thinking that he worked with Manusky in SD so it might be a good fit and would allow us to move Balmer to DE and Smith to OLB opposite Lawson which would then allow him (Lawson) to blitz and rush the passer more.

Thoughts???
Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman
Bottom line, if it works out with Singletary, it will look like an excellent value (steal) for the Niners, and if not, we'll all criticize giving another inexperienced HC a long term deal. :)
I agree 100%.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
I was just reading on another team's forum that the Chargers are expected to let DE Igor Olshansky leave as an UFA. If that happens, would he be a good addition to our 3-4 defense? I was thinking that he worked with Manusky in SD so it might be a good fit and would allow us to move Balmer to DE and Smith to OLB opposite Lawson which would then allow him (Lawson) to blitz and rush the passer more.

Thoughts???
Dan.......No
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

A one year contract is a huge insult and adding that they're 'waiting and seeing' would hardly be a show of support would it?
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
A one year contract is a huge insult and adding that they're 'waiting and seeing' would hardly be a show of support would it?
Don't pay attention to him he doesn't even know what he's saying.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Going into this game I thought safety might have surpassed pass rusher as our #1 need but watching Campbell escape easily even when we do get pressure has swayed me back to the pass rusher camp.
Thats funny man. Watch the play again. That was Roman, a S, ******* that up. As much as we can talk about it, it's all about whos on the board @ 10.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Dan, having J. Smith stand up more often than not is a bad idea. He is quick enough to red or green 'dog' off in coverage few times, effective in screen passes too, but not a stand up guy. We need to let our guys do what they do.

As for a specific RB need, I agree completely. M. Robinson has shown good pass catching abilities these past weeks, maybe enough to have our staff decide we can afford to go elsewhere. But I think our offense needs a more elusive RB, much like James Davis, mentioned earlier by someone. Someone else mentioned Sproles, or guys like L. Washington. I'm thinking of a RB who'll get anywhere from 5-10 touches a game, more depending on effectivness, and the matchups, obviously. We need Deshaun because he can emulate Gore's game if he's hurt, and then we have the shifty guy on the side. I know Gore is a do it all back, but its stupid to rely on him for everything. We have zero return ability at the RB position as well, and I have to believe other teams laughed when we had Walker and Robinson returning kickoffs(and happy because of the 0% chance we had taking it back). But if we were to get another back, there would be some roster crunching to do, I dont know where that would be.

Last edited by THIZZorDIE : 12-30-2008 at 05:06 PM.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

is sproles a FA? would love him. i'd love to get shanahan as an OC. but then i think about how it wouldnt be a longterm solution because if he was successful, wed be looking for another OC in 1-2 years.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Justin Smith played his best when we let him settle in at defensive end, I don't want to change that. If we take a runningback it should be on day two. I am thinking Devn Moore from Wyoming if he is still available.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to find a Brandon Jacobs-type bruiser in the middle rounds to pound it in on the goal line. This change of pace back would help to wear down the line for Gore, so he could continue to be more of a finesses type of back, which is his strength. Gore can run with power for his size, but near the goal line, he's not a pounder.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind getting Igor Olshansky if McDonald and Smith weren't playing so good. I believe McDonald can eventually be one of the best at 3-4 end in coming years.

As for a bruising back I really don't see any in the draft of BJacobs caliber. We should take a look at Rashad Jennings from Liberty. Sure he's a small schooler but he's measurables are worth taking a look at.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

I know Shanny is looking to a HC spot but he would be an awesome OC option.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need an OC who isnt a big name because we need someone who can stick around for 3-5 years, at least.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Igor Olshansky I'll pass on as he has MAJOR temper issues. If a team as proactive as securing young talent as the Chargers are would pass on him, then we should be weary.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Just throwing this out there for opinions... not that I think it will happen based on our needs/Singletary's likely choice for an O-Coordinator... but how do people feel about Jeremy Maclin out of Mizzou?

Personally, I think he'd fit in perfectly with our WR corps, plus he could essentially free up a roster space because he'd be able to return punts and kicks, meaning no more need for Rossum. I just can't stop thinking though that he'd be the perfect deep threat/big play complement to the guys we already have, and that a WR group with him to stretch the field, Morgan to go over the middle, Hill to be a more versatile type, and Bruce with all his vet. savvy would be the best SF has had in years.

Ultimately, it's probably too much of a luxury pick for us. We need help in too many other spots (FS, RT, pass rush, etc.) for a WR to be the likely choice in round 1. But let me say early on that I would not be at all disappointed if somehow Jeremy Maclin wound up in scarlet and gold next season.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rambling thoughts/ideas heading into the offseason:

OC
With Martz out we got to start again. Not really sure who is out there but we know what Sing is looking for. I would like to get a coordinator that actually has a resume and experience working with QBs. That is why Scott Linehan isn't such a bad idea. But please, for the love God, it better not be Greg Knapp.

Another guy I wouldn't mind is Russ Grimm. Matches up exactly with Singletary's philosophy and vision for this offense. But not sure if he will be looking for a head coaching job after the postseason.

Long shot, for me, would be Broncos QB coach Jeremey Bates. He did a great job working with Jay Cutler. Only problem is he is 33 and not sure if it would be a good idea to pair him up with an inexperienced coach in Singletary.

QB situation
I think Hill has earned the job but looks like the 49ers will explore their options. Looking on the free agent market the only guy I would want to go after is Garcia. I was wanting Cassell early on but I don't want to give up draft picks for him. Slim chance but if the Seahawks cut Hasselbeck SF should push hard for him.

In the draft if Bradford or Stafford slid to down to the 10th pick SF has to take one of those guys. Even with the failure to develop Alex Smith we have seen how valuable the QB position is to this team and I think for the long term health of this franchise they need to get a signal caller.

I do hope Alex Smith stays. He has familiarity with the WRs and he is still only 24 years old. I also hope SF grabs a QB late and tries to develop a long term back-up.

Free Agency
Wouldn't mind making a run at Jordan Gross to improve our tackle situation. Albert Haynesworth is my number one target. He is a monster and he has proven this season he is not a fluke. Also it was frustrating watching Patrick and the other linebackers not being able to fill their gaps fast enough because of the line not being able to command double teams.

For once I think we are set at WR. Looks like there won't be a giant remodeling job down at that spot. I would like to take a flier on the Jags Reggie Williams over Bryant Johnson.

Draft
Too early to tell but go BPA. Here is my early rankings by position:
1. DE/OLB
2. FS
3. QB
4. RT

If SF was going to take a RT I would rather move down in the draft and add a few more picks. I don't believe in giving top 10 money to a RT. Plus look at the success Denver(okay 12th pick but still), Carolina, and Atlanta had landing tackles late in the first round of last years draft.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 12-31-2008 at 10:43 AM.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 PM    (permalink
NIMV
Rookie

NIMV hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Hello

First of all, I wish you to have a Happy New Year....then I propose some names to fill OC spot:

Mike Shanahan . Tough one because he likely to get job as HC.

Scott Linehan. Has same gameplan as Martz run with us but willing to work with Singletary's phylosophy.

Rob Chudzinski. He coached Frank Gore (our best player on offense) since 2001 with Hurricanes also work with Vernon Davis to pulish his talent.

Pete Carmichael. He has worked with Drew Brees to became one of most consistent and dominant passer on league.

Norm Chow. He had a disappointing season but I like him because he had tutelage great passers in league such as Young,Palmer,Leinart,Rivers,Cassell (although McDaniels develop his talent).
Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Our new OC will probably be someone we have not heard a lot about. It sounds like that's what Singletary is going for, and it will obviously be a crush-ball guy. I think if we could get him away from AZ Russ Grim would be a great hire.