Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I am still pissed we took him over Kenny Phillips.
Or Tracy Porter. Or DeSean Jackson. Or Brandon Flowers. Or Calais Campbell.

The 08 draft is such a disaster right now. Only 1 decent contributor so far.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See.....................................I told you guys that Balmer sucks and was a waste of a first round draft pick. I said it day one and like Brent was pissed off we passed on FS Kenny Phillips for him. See ya you piece of crap.

As for the 2008 NFL Draft, let's see -

Balmer - HUGE BUST
Rachal - will hopefully be a starter this season
Smith - solid depth
Wallace - hasnt done anything but he's cheap and with injuries on the OL, I would keep him
Morgan - easily the BEST of the 2008 draft
Grant - cant really say one way or the other as he was never even given a chance
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I told you guys that Balmer sucks and was a waste of a first round draft pick.
I don't think anyone here was expecting him to be the pick.

In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe the list of people we were expecting at 29 was:

Gosder Cherilus
Quentin Groves
Kenny Phillips
Jerod Mayo
Dan Connor
Calais Campbell

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 08-12-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Balmer cut countdown

3 PM on Thurs. afternoon, Balmer cut yet?

Quote:
In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe the list of people we were expecting at 29 was:

Gosder Cherilus
Quentin Groves
Kenny Phillips
Jerod Mayo
Dan Connor
Calais Campbell
Any of those would've been preferable. Especially Mayo, wasn't he DRoYr. with Patriots?

Quote:
Balmer - HUGE BUST
Smith - solid depth
Wallace - hasnt done anything but he's cheap and with injuries on the OL, I would keep him
Dan pretty much nailed it..... The OL is still in flux & has yet to solidify from all accts. I like that justification for keeping Wallace, cheap is an asset among so many highly paid (2 1st rounders last April) o-linemen & Heitman is showing the detrimental signs of all that wear & tear, may not make the season at C.

Wragge's an overachiever player when he gets the chance but can't back up all front 3 spots on the OL. Disagree about Rachal, we hope he can start & contribute, but I don't think he will in the long run. Singletary remembers well how he had to counsel, coddle, then yank (I think) him early last yr when he was terrible. Not as big a bust as #1 pick Balmer, but if he doesn't start, then perform to his contract he's gone. Morgan has become the jewel of the 08 draft.

Last edited by LizardState : 08-12-2010 at 05:32 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:33 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think anyone here was expecting him to be the pick.

Gosder Cherilus
Quentin Groves
Kenny Phillips
Jerod Mayo
Dan Connor
Calais Campbell

Not specifically on this forum, but I'm thinking there's alot of revisionist history going on.

I, personally wanted Groves or Curtis Lofton.

Mayo - was selected #10 so he was NEVER in the running.

Campbell - Those that I remember professing their love for him thought he would be drafted to play OLB.

Cherilus - Has been inconsistent AT BEST as he has never been able to become the teams LT.

Groves - How did he work out in Jacksonville?

Phillips - Microfracture surgery on knee and still a big question mark

Conner - May actually get a start this season, and only because Beason moved outside to replace Thomas Davis.

Other names I remember being thrown around heavily...

Phillip Merling - Apparently beats women (on season-ending IR)

Devin Thomas - Finally catching some balls. Probably wouldn't have drafted Crabs.

James Hardy - Can't even make the 2nd team in Buffalo

Limas Sweed - Likey wouldve been cut by Steelers had he not gone on IR.

It's easy to sit back now and pick players and say "We should've drafted him". The team, by all accounts needed a DE/NT type and Balmer was a risk-reward type player that fulfilled that need.

If a McCloughan selection in 2008 needs to be questioned it's that of Cody Wallace. He was picked to be a C/G. The team had Carl Nicks in for a visit but selected Wallace instead.

Last edited by phlysac : 08-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I'm thinking there's alot of revisionist history going on.
Not really revisionist history. That is pulled from one of Borat's posts about a 3 days before the 2008 draft. Most of us, and I know this for a fact, thought Groves was sure to be the pick because (and this isnt shocking) we though OLB was a top priority, with FS a close second.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Balmer says he coming back, but Singletary sounds fed up.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sport...-to-49ers.html

Looking fwd to Dan Brown's article in tomorrow's Merc News........
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Campbell - Those that I remember professing their love for him thought he would be drafted to play OLB.
:o

6'8 310 OLB
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I agree that most of us expected Groves but I wanted Phillips because if he was still on the board when the Giants picked, I knew he was going to be their pick (which he was).

Excluding Mayo who's a stud for the Patriots, everyone on that list sucks even though Phillips was good as a rookie and is expected to come back this season. He's already been medically cleared to return. Hell, even if Phillips has to retire without ever playing in a regular season game again, he's still done far better than Balmer.

Enough said.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
See.....................................I told you guys that Balmer sucks and was a waste of a first round draft pick. I said it day one and like Brent was pissed off we passed on FS Kenny Phillips for him. See ya you piece of crap.

Balmer - HUGE BUST
Smith - solid depth
Grant - cant really say one way or the other as he was never even given a chance
Who is going to unseat Rachal? He's been holding down his performance pretty well and last time I heard is having a decent camp and his job isn't in danger.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glen Coffee missing from practice:
Quote:
MaioccoCSN No word from 49ers or Glen Coffee's agent on why he is not here. doesn't sound good.
49ers camp is starting to turn into the "Junction Boys".
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

They got a roster spot exemption for Balmer:

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_15762816

And signed Will Tukuafu, UDFA from Oregon vis the Seahawks camp to fill in.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Balmer is AWOL and Coffee retires. What the **** is going on at this camp?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 PM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

Hmm, it's Anthony Dixon time! :)
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't you need to have a career before you can retire?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
:o

6'8 310 OLB
It was a stupid idea even then, when he weighed 282 at the Combine!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol wtf is going on with 9ers draft picks
Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd put out a warrant for Mike Nolan, wherever he is.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This team is a freaking mess right now, no sugarcoating it.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

I posted this in another forum and think it belongs here also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac

Obviously there has been alot of mention regarding Brian Westbrook and Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately, I feel that Westbrook's injury has kept him from getting a job and although I wouldn't mind Lynch, for what he'd cost, I'd prefer to ask the Bills about Fred Jackson.

With that said, the player that I hope Baalke inquires about is Cleveland Browns RB James Davis. He was primed for a successful stint as starter last season before he was injured and new GM Mike Holmgren loves "his guy" Montarrio Hardesty which puts Davis behind both he and Jerome Harrison.

Other players the 49ers should inquire about and watch the waiver wire for are these #3 or deeper RBs around the league. The majority of these players are roughly 220 lbs with a North-South running style...

I bolded the players I'm most interested in.

Buffalo Bills
Joique Bell
Fred Jackson
Marshawn Lynch

Patriots
Thomas Clayton

Jets
Joe McKnight
Chauncey Washington

Ravens
Willis McGahee

Browns
James Davis

Colts
Mike Hart
Javarris James

Titans
LeGarrette Blount
Stafon Johnson

Chiefs
Javarris Williams

Cowboys
Lonyae Miller

Giants
Andre Brown
Gartrell Johnson

Eagles
Charles Scott

Packers
James Starks

Vikings
Ian Johnson

Panthers
Mike Goodson

Saints
Chris Ivory
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
I posted this in another forum and think it belongs here also...
I could see them bringing in another camp body, but I think this just assures that Miller is going to make the team as their 5th back. I think they go into the season with Robinson and Dixon as the backup RBs.

Lets pray Gore stays healthy!
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

In reference to Glen Coffee retiring -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat
Don't you need to have a career before you can retire?
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac
Obviously there has been alot of mention regarding Brian Westbrook and Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately, I feel that Westbrook's injury has kept him from getting a job and although I wouldn't mind Lynch, for what he'd cost, I'd prefer to ask the Bills about Fred Jackson.

With that said, the player that I hope Baalke inquires about is Cleveland Browns RB James Davis. He was primed for a successful stint as starter last season before he was injured and new GM Mike Holmgren loves "his guy" Montarrio Hardesty which puts Davis behind both he and Jerome Harrison.

Other players the 49ers should inquire about and watch the waiver wire for are these #3 or deeper RBs around the league. The majority of these players are roughly 220 lbs with a North-South running style...

I bolded the players I'm most interested in.

Buffalo Bills
Joique Bell
Fred Jackson
Marshawn Lynch

Patriots
Thomas Clayton

Jets
Joe McKnight
Chauncey Washington

Ravens
Willis McGahee

Browns
James Davis

Colts
Mike Hart
Javarris James

Titans
LeGarrette Blount
Stafon Johnson

Chiefs
Javarris Williams

Cowboys
Lonyae Miller

Giants
Andre Brown
Gartrell Johnson

Eagles
Charles Scott

Packers
James Starks

Vikings
Ian Johnson

Panthers
Mike Goodson

Saints
Chris Ivory
Majority of players you listed I never even heard of and are any of these guys speed/finesse backs? Since we still have two power backs (Gore/Dixon), I want a damn speed/finesse back. I dont think they are but if Lynch/McGahee fit this criteria, then im all for trading for one of them especially since neither the Bills or Ravens have any leverage in regards to what they would be asking for. A fourth round draft pick is the highest I would offer for either one. If they dont fit in that criteria and if Westbrook does, I would sign him. Even at this stage of his career, Westbrook is still better than Robinson/Dixon and would be the finesse back that we should already have. I like Singletary but he's focused way too much on power. There's going to be times when speed and finesse will be needed and with Coffee retiring, now is the time to acquire a finesse back.

As for other players listed -

I dont see Clayton going anywhere because we had him already and was let go so why would we trade for him back? That would be stupid. Blount decided to go to TEN because he'll most likely make their roster where as with us, he would be fighting for a spot besides I doubt TEN trades him anyway. Fred Jackson is expected to start in BUF and isnt going anywhere. The Jets just drafted McKnight so scratch him off the list and I dont think Washington is going anywhere either. Mike Hart would be a waste as he's been more injury prone than Lynch/McGahee. Dont see the Giants trading either RB you listed. The rest I have no clue who the are.

Like I said though, if Lynch/McGahee is a finesse back (even though I dont think they are), I would try to acquire which ever one of them has the better contract. If not, I simply keep my draft pick and sign Westbrook instead. His veteran leadership will be a positive too.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Who is going to unseat Rachal? He's been holding down his performance pretty well and last time I heard is having a decent camp and his job isn't in danger.
I said hopefully because didnt he start last season and was then benched? I want him to start and become good which is why I said hopefully but it all remains to be seen. And TC doesnt mean anything nor does pre-season games. Majority of the time, players play the opposite of what they play in the regular season.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Marshawn Lynch would be an awesome guy to bring in, but I would be shocked if they traded for any one. I imagine they roll with who they have. They have people to sign, they can't be throwing around money to new guys in a trade.