Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
My preference of Final-53 is what you have Brent, sans Miller for Westbrook.

I'm just not sure the "brass" will let LaBoy and Sims walk, especially if they continue to play the way they have thus far.

Getting rid of Mrob would make things easier. I think they have to take a serious look at it.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Getting rid of Mrob would make things easier. I think they have to take a serious look at it.
I just don't see it as he is a leader (Captain status) and Sing has put an emphasis on special teams, saying that he'll keep a couple players on the final roster that are special teams aces - that's M-Rob right there. I'd like to see him replaced after this year, but I don't think it's likely he's going anywhere for the upcoming season.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aubrayo Franklin is coming in Saturday for a physical and to sign his franchise tender Maiocco and ESPN are reporting.

Here's the Aubrayo Franklin-49ers update from Maiocco. http://bit.ly/atKapN

Smart move on his part as he doesn't want to risk injury in camp or preseason action. He'll likely play a series or two at the most in the 4th preseason game. I just hope he doesn't come in overweight or out of shape (for a Nose Tackle). He's a very important piece to the Championship-caliber D the Niners are hoping to have on the field this season.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guess Coach Sing knew what he was talking about when he said that he was not at all worried about the Franklin situation.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_...nclick_check=1

The Big 5 team left over questions from the past answered at this time, the good news is the 150% better secondary play & the 9ers inevitably moving up form 21st in the NFL in pass defense when the season starts, younger, fresher legs at safety are making the big difference.

The big bad news is the same as ever, that 800-lb gorilla in the living room, it's getting boring believe me, I know: Smith has yet to make his breakthrough as the starting QB, no TDs & one INT in preseason thus far. But like they point out he has yet to be on the same field with Gore & Crabtree, hopefully that will happen this weekend vs. the cross-Bay rival Raiders.

Always the Raiders preseason game crucial to determining the final 53 roster, game will be taped by local broadcasters & shown at 10 PM Saturday so I'll stay up for it.

The Franklin situation looks to be resolved today, & that's a big positive, only question remaining is how much of a raise will the Pro Bowl NT receive, IMO he deserves a big fat honking one. Just hoping none of the 49ers injured by Raiders will get cut vs IR or PUP list, they always manage to hurt several 9ers in the annual preseason game -- they must have a bounty system in place.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you're waiting for Alex Smith to have a 'breakthrough", I would suggest waiting until the regular season. Ain't no breakthroughs going to matter right now.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you're waiting for Alex Smith to have a 'breakthrough", I would suggest waiting until the regular season. Ain't no breakthroughs going to matter right now.
But what about Sam Bradford? Isn't he going to tear us and the rest of the league to pieces this year after that dominance he showed last night? ;)

Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This part of the year has me on the edge of my seat in anticipation.

Offense
Looking forward to seeing if our 1st string offense will continue to execute tomorrow. With Crabtree and possibly Gore seeing some action, I think we can step it up to another level. Hopefully 11-85 combo will sync up as well.

Defense
Hope the DE can contain better than they did against the Vikings and want to see some of the young DB's contribute as well.

I am glad we get to start off in the road in Seattle and then get the Saints. It will tell us a lot about our young talent as they continue to develop. Because of that, I see our team as a very dangerous team if we are able to make the playoffs like everyone is expecting.
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState
The Franklin situation looks to be resolved today, & that's a big positive, only question remaining is how much of a raise will the Pro Bowl NT receive, IMO he deserves a big fat honking one.
This, I disagree with. First, have to wait and see what kind of shape he's in tomorrow when he takes his physical and even if he easily passes it, I wouldnt sign him to an extension whatsoever. He just turned 30 today and giving him a long term deal is risky considering his age and the fact that history says that DT's who get paid become lazy and not care. Personally, I would let him play under the franchise tag for 2010 and 2011. Going into the 2012 season, he'll be 32 years old and have two more years of wear and tear on his body. Cosidering the fact that Davis (26), Goldson (26 on Sept. 18) and Lawson (26) are four years younger, in their prime and more important to the team long term than Franklin is, I would use whatever money that would go to Franklin in a long term deal to the above three.

The only way I would sign Franklin long term would be after 2010 and if he plays at the same level because Clements and Lewis will most likely be gone anyway so the money that would be saved from them could go to Franklin. Other than that, I would just keep Franklin using the franchise tag for 2010 and 2011.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Ah yes. The same Dan Brown that referenced statistics from Football Outsiders that predicted the 49ers would finish LAST in the NFC West. Yes, even behind the Rams.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I found this tid-bit amusing:

Quote:
The NFL trend is toward airing it out: A year ago, a record 10 quarterbacks threw for at least 4,000 yards. Nothing in Alex Smith's preseason performance suggests such a dramatic breakthrough.
So a quarterback has to throw for 4,000 yards to have success?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I found this tid-bit amusing:

So a quarterback has to throw for 4,000 yards to have success?
As I mentioned above... It's Dan Brown. He's doom-and-gloom. Seems to hate the team in alot of ways.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
As I mentioned above... It's Dan Brown. He's doom-and-gloom. Seems to hate the team in alot of ways.
How does this ignorant fool have a job talking about football?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:08 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
How does this ignorant fool have a job talking about football?
good question!

dbrown@mercurynews.com
Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who in the blue hell is Dan Brown and why the hell should any of us care about what he has to say about our beloved 49ers???
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Who in the blue hell is Dan Brown and why the hell should any of us care about what he has to say about our beloved 49ers???
He's a 49ers blog writer for the Mercury News
Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Read the whole post:

Quote:
But like they point out he has yet to be on the same field with Gore & Crabtree, hopefully that will happen this weekend vs. the cross-Bay rival Raiders.
Smith needs to have his running game, Vernon Davis & Crabtree on the field at the same time & facing an NFL starting defense to properly evaluate him. We will probably see what the 2010 9ers offense really will look like tonight when that happens.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Aubrayo Franklin signed his tender.

Quote:
49ers Reach Agreement with Aubrayo Franklin

Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who remained away from all 49ers offseason activities, signed a one-year, $7.003 million contract Saturday as the team's franchise player. He is expected to attend the 49ers' exhibition game tonight at the Oakland Raiders but he will not suit up.

Franklin, who turned 30 on Friday, was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of last season. The 49ers retained his rights through the use of the franchise tag, which guaranteed him in a one-year contract for the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive tackles in the NFL. The 49ers and Franklin had until July 15 to work out a multi-year contract extension. Now, such negotiations must wait until after the 49ers' final regular-season game.

Franklin had his best NFL season in 2009 with 88 total tackles, two sacks and one interception. All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis credits Franklin's ability to tie up offensive linemen as one of the major reasons for his success. It is not known whether Franklin will play in the 49ers' final exhibition game, Thursday against the San Diego Chargers, but he is expected to start in the regular-season opener, Sept. 12 at Seattle.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/28/10/4...41&feedID=5936
Old 08-28-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Smith needs to have his running game
Abso FREAKING lutely !!! Unfortunately it's tough to get the running game going when the plays calls aren't creative. Of the opening TEN 1st down plays, NINE were runs. Defenses will continue to stack the box on 1st down and the 49er RB's Norris and Gore will run into a brick wall.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was watching the game on an Internet feed so i didn't have the best picture quality, but here are some of my thoughts...

-Alex Smith looks so much better. He moves around in the pocket effortlessly, goes through his motions, and is accurate. He looks better than he ever has in his career. And he did this without Crabtree, VD, and Gore (for most of the game). The only thing that really ticks me off are the checkdowns on 3rd and long, but i guess its just a case of the receivers not being open downfield.

-Anthony Davis looked improved to me. I think he gave up only 1 pressure all day and didn't have a false start. And this was against a Raiders Dline that abused the Bears last week. I'm glad we gave him the job so soon, he'll be a better player in Week 1 because of it. I tried to focus on Iuapati too but its tough enough to focus on a LG in HD, let alone an internet feed.

-For the rookies, besides Davis i was impressed with Bowman and Adams. Bowman had 1 series in particular where he made 2 or 3 tackles and showed off his impressive speed. Looked like a mini-Willis almost. Adams also had another good night at CB, although he got lucky with one pass deflection near the end of the game. He also had 2 great punt returns including a TD. I'd like to see him get some earlier reps next week. However, we can consider his ticket stamped on the 53 man roster. I thought Byham was only alright compared to last week, Dixon struggled against the first team but tore up the 3rd string, and Mays was invisble which could be a good or bad thing.

-Pass defense as a whole seemed kind of shaky. They rebounded well after a bad first drive to shut down Campbell but they struggled against Gradkowski. I think Gradkowkski is kind of underrated but they shouldn't have given up those TDs to Miller or Murphy.

Oh, and David Carr sucks.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:18 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you could obviously tell that the niners were holding back tonight because they play each other this season. i think that is why the game felt sloppy.

other than that, this is what i saw:

-Willis looks better then ever.
-Philip Adams has definitely won a spot on the roster.
-Bowman looks to be making a lot of plays, and is following in Willis' footsteps
-Reggie Smith got beat deep on a few occasions
-Laboy is going to be hard to cut
-Anthony Dixon is finally slowing down becoming patient
-Alex Smith's pocket presence is outstanding

also, i hope that Staley's injury is not too serious. I heard he is day to day
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

I don't want to jinx anything, but we might have a QB. Most of the weapons didn't even play; pretty good if you ask me.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Offense

QB:
Alex Smith - Looked very good for the third week in a row. Finished the game 9/15 for 113 yards and a touchdowns and that includes 3 dropped passes. The first drop came on 3rd and 9 on our opening drive and if Walker had caught it he wasn't going to get the first down anyway so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. The same thing was true for the second dropped pass, a slant to Zeigler on 3rd and 12. The third dropped pass was different, though, Byham was dragging across the middle and the pass hit him perfectly in stride and he might have taken it in for a touchdown if he caught it. Smith really only made one ill advised throw and that was the bomb to Walker when he was well covered and Walker had to turn into the defender. The touchdown throw was great, though. Sims got pushed back and Smith had to roll out but he kept his eyes downfield and lobbed a perfect pass over 3 defenders right to Morgan.

David Carr - Did not look comfortable for most of the time he was in even the he had plenty of time on a majority of his dropbacks. There were a couple of dropped passes when he was in as well but even if they were completed his numbers would have ended up less than impressive. If Alex Smith does get injured we know that we can expect Carr to come in and dump the ball off, make the safe throws, and not make mistakes which is encouraging. He did look good on the final drive, though, and that run to get the first down was a very dangerous but respectable thing to do in a preseason game. If he was our starter that would have made me mad, to be honest.

RB:
Frank Gore - On his two carries he literally exploded through the hole and looked as fast, if not faster, then he has ever been. Also showed his strength when he just made two bounce off of him without even slowing down. I am very excited to see what he can do this year when defenses aren't loading up the box to stop him 90% of the time and when he has fresh legs and is going against Dixon and Westbrook worn down defenses. It should be a big year. He did fumble a pitch from Alex Smith when it looked like he could have had a nice gain, though.

Anthony Dixon - Started off very slow getting stuffed at or close to the line of scrimmage a lot on his first few carries but really wore down the Raiders defense and was very good on the final drive of the game, gaining 35 yards and a touchdown on 7 carries and also adding 2 receptions for 13 yards. He basically was that final drive and for a rookie to be able to do that, even against backups, is impressive and encouraging.

Brian Westbrook - When he first game in the announcers were being so nonchalant about it that I did not even realize it was him for a second. Had two carries for 17 yards, though all 17 came on the second. It was a third down draw play where a big hole opened up and Westbrook looked like he was still pretty fast sprinting through it and then he pushed the pile for an extra couple of yards once he was wrapped up. I like what I have seen from all three running backs this preseason.

FB:
Moran Norris - Had a great lead block on Gore's 49 yard run where he stonewalled the defender and even had a couple of nice catches out of the backfield. On one of them, though, he never got his balance and was flipped by a Raider defender and appeared to have hurt his leg at first glance. I don't think he was hurt seriously but I don't believe we will see any more of him in the preseason, we know what we have.

TE:
Delanie Walker - If you didn't know the 49ers you would swear you were watching a wide receiver when you saw Walker in action. He moves like a receiver both with and without the ball and he is almost always covered by a defensive back because he is just too fast for the majority of linebackers to keep up with. His 38 yard reception showed his tremendous RAC ability and he made a good play when he knocked down a pass that might have otherwise been intercepted. He did get called for a false start early on and dropped a pass on the sidelines but neither really changed the game much.

Nate Byham - As a receiver Byham took a step back in this game. As already mentioned, he dropped one pass that might have went for a touchdown and didn't give a very good effort on another where a Raiders defensive back might have gotten away with PI but Byham still could have caught. His blocking was up and down. On a few runs he got pushed back pretty easily by Raider defensive linemen, on one he got knocked on his ass but still made the block, but on others he controlled his man pretty easily. On the latter he was usually matched up against a linebacker or smaller defensive lineman. Made a great catch on the two point conversion.

WR:
Josh Morgan - Saw three passes thrown his way and caught all three for 31 yards and a touchdown. I don't think this team has really run enough slant routes in the past but 2/3 of Morgan's receptions came on perfectly thrown quick slants and on his touchdown he showed very good awareness finding a soft spot in the defense and making sure his quarterback knew where he was. He did throw an obvious block in the back on Walker's big gain but it was at least good to notice him doing things on the field as opposed to the first two weeks when he might as well have not even been there.

Ted Ginn - His best play was when Asomugha jammed him at the LoS but somehow got Asomugha called for a pass interference, and it was questionable at best. Other than that he caught a quick slant from Smith and made a pretty good downfield block on Gore's big run. He seemed to be having trouble getting much separation throughout the game but at least he wasn't dropping passes.

Dominique Zeigler - It is pretty obvious that he is going to make this team now and he might even be ahead of Ginn on the depth chart. He mad a fantastic leaping catch on a 3rd down and was targeted 10 times, catching 5 for 47 yards. He did dropped a very well thrown slant from Alex Smith in the first quarter but still seemed to be the go to guy, especially for David Carr, later on. Ziggy is not the fastest guy on the field but he runs smooth routes and has the ability to create just enough separation and good hands, making him a very good possession receiver.

OL:
Joe Staley - Left the game towards the end of the first quarter but looked good in the short time he was in. Did a good job keeping his man to the outside on Gore's 49 yard run and did not give up any pressures.

Mike Iupati - This kid is going to be a flat out stud guard. On Gore's big run he got to the 2nd level very quickly to open the hole and every time the 49ers ran behind him it seemed like there was a big hole. It did not give up any quarterback pressure either.

David Baas - I don't know why we did not try him at center before because he seems to be twice as good there as he was at guard. I don't know what it is but he doesn't get pushed back nearly as much, he held the point very well on passing plays all night, and his run blocking looks improved as well. When Heitmann gets healthy we are gonna have a tough choice to make.

Chilo Rachal - After the first couple of games I was ready to start calling for his head but played much better last night. Just like the rest of the first team offensive line he did not give up any quick pressure and he looked strong in the running game as well. I am still worried that he is going to be the weak link of the offensive line but last night made me feel a little better.

Anthony Davis - To be honest, Davis wasn't much better than Rachal for the first couple of games but I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he is a rookie and he looked very good last night. His pass blocking was great compared to what it had been the first two games, he did not get beat once either with a inside move or around the corner. In fact he basically kept whomever he was blocking stationary at the LoS on the majority of passing plays he was in for.

Barry Sims - I sang his praises after the first two games but he had only a decent performance against the Raiders. He came in a LT after Staley got hurt and played decently for the majority of the time but on a few plays he got straight up bull rushed back into the quarterback forcing him to leave the pocket and it is a good thing Davis and Rachal were doing such good jobs or those plays could have ended in sacks pretty easily.

Alex Boone - Also had a pretty solid game outside of a couple of plays. As I have already said, when he locks onto someone they basically should just give up but his problem is that is blindly lunges forward a lot. There were two times on the final drive, including Dixon's touchdown run, where he did just that. Luckily we ran to the right on both of those plays, though.

Tony Wragge - Came in at left guard after Iupati and played just as well as he has all preseason against backup linemen, very well. Against starting caliber players he can hold his own but against backups that might not even be on rosters later on in the season it just looks like a guy throwing around kids, honestly.

Cody Wallace - A Cody Wallace sighting!? After Baas left, Wallace took over for him and actually looked decent. He held the middle of the line well and made a few very good blocks on the final drive, including driving his man 2 yards left and to the ground on Dixon's touchdowns run. The problem is that it might be too little, too late for him to make this team.

Brian de la Puente - I could not be more impressed with this kid whenever I see him play and I hope that he is PS eligible because I really want to keep him around, or at least try. He plays a lot like Justin Smiley. That is he isn't the strongest guy but he makes up for it with quickness and very good technique and leverage. All preseason I have not seen him make one mistake, whether that be whiffing on a block or getting pushed back, and last night was no exception.

Adam Snyder - Showed last year that he is not a starting right tackle in this league but clearly needs to be kept around because he is a very good backup and can play every position along the line. He got very good push and took 3 Raiders out of the play on Dixon's touchdown. Between just he and Wragge I would say our second team offensive line is one of the best in the league.

Defense

DL:
Justin Smith - Looked surprisingly blockable when he was in and that was the main reason why the Raiders offense was having no trouble moving the ball through the air, in my opinion. Last year he could not be blocked with just one man and whenever a team tried he forced the QB to get of it quickly and when they double teamed him someone else got pressure. Last night the Raiders were doing a pretty good job one-on-one and that meant that the QB had a while to throw the ball. I never even considered it before but if he does not play as well as he did last year then our entire defense suffers a lot because Manusky isn't a very good coach.

Ricky Jean Francois - Held the point of attack reasonably well on running plays but putting pressure on the quarterback from the nose tackle position was not in his agenda, it hasn't been all preseason. Still I thought he played better last night than he did the first two weeks.

Isaac Sopoaga - He and RJF do basically the same things out there, they don't allow offensive linemen to push them back but they do not get much push themselves either. The difference is that Sopoaga takes on more double teams than RJF and that makes him an important part of the defense. One thing I don't get, though, is how he can basically hold up to linemen at the LoS but cannot push one back.

Khalif Mitchell - In the first two preseason games he impressed me a lot with his quick first step and ability to get into the backfield but last night he looked no better nor worse than RJF or Sopoaga.

Derek Walker/Will Tukuafu - Putting them together because neither has a chance to make the team but they deserved mentioning because both of them had a couple of good plays last night. Both put some pressure on Gradkowski and both got penetration on running plays more times than RJF/Sopoaga/Mitchell did. That might be the result of playing against the Raider's backups, though.

LB:
Patrick Willis - Obviously the defensive player of the game for the 49ers. Three times he was unblocked and three times he pushed the Raiders back with two tackles for a loss and a sack. So far this preseason it seems as if Manusky sends Willis at the QB a lot more than the last two years and I am all for that. His instincts and nose for the ballcarrier looked as sharp as ever last night, as did his speed.

Takeo Spikes - There were a couple of times that he pressured the QB when he blitzed but he was always just a tad late and the quarterback was able to get rid of it. The one bad play he made was when he was caught trailing on a Gradkowski dump off early in the 3rd quarter but outside of that he was where he was supposed to be doing what he was supposed to do.

NaVorro Bowman - He honestly looks like a little mimi Patrick Willis out there, the way he flies around and hits people. He had three tackles last night and on those tackles the Raiders gained 0, 3, and -2 yards. Looked good in coverage as well. Dare I say he looked better than Spikes last night.

Manny Lawson - There is not much that I can say about Manny Lawson that I have not already said. He has all the talent and athleticism in the world, and it shows in coverage and against the run, but he has no pass rushing moves to speak of other then (A)try and run by opposing tackle or (B)if that fails push opposing tackle backwards. There is more good than bad with him at least, on his two tackles he destroyed the tight end that tried to block him once and the second time he made the tackle with one arm while being blocked. He does a great job of setting the corner.

Parys Haralson - It would not surprise me to see Haralson benched. I don't even see him on the field at all for basically the first two games and when I finally do notice him last night he is way behind a fullback in coverage or getting called for an offsides. For the past couple of years these things aren't really surprising from him but at least before he pressured the QB, he has not done that at all this preseason.

Travis LaBoy - While Haralson might as well not even be there LaBoy is definitely making his presence felt. He recorded a sack for the second straight week and, while he wasn't terrorizing the quarterback like he did last week, he was putting on more pressure than anyone else in a 49ers jersey. Not only do I think he will make this team, I think he will overtake Haralson as the starter by week 1.

Diyral Briggs - After being all but unstoppable the first two games Briggs came back down to earth last night. There were still quite a few plays when he was getting around the tackle but it always seemed to be slightly late and they did not come nearly as often as they did the first two weeks. It would still be hard to keep him off of the roster given his performance.

DB:
Nate Clements/Tarell Brown - Considering we were playing them way off of the LoS in a soft zone coverage with no pass rush (I thought Nolan was gone?) I cannot condemn their games. Both made the tackles in their zones immediately and that is really all you can ask for in that situation. Give any NFL QB time to throw against a zone coverage and someone will be open.

Dashon Goldson - For most of the game I would put him in the same boat as the corners, played his zone well, but there were a couple of plays when he was out of position. The 74 yard touchdown at the end of the half was not one of them, though, even if it looked it. His zone was on the other half of the field and he had the man that came into it blanketed but his speed allowed him to get over and almost make a tackle on Murphy.

Michael Lewis - Great by the line of scrimmage but not very good in coverage. He had decent coverage on the Miller touchdown, most of that was just a great throw by Gradkowski, but I feel like a more athletic safety would have been able to make a play on that.

Taylor Mays - Had definitely his best game so far, imo. In the first two games he seemed to disappear for most of the game but then come in and make a big hit or good tackle once in a while but last night he seemed to be close to the action on pretty much every play. On one of his tackles he flew in from way back and knocked the crap out of the Raiders back.

Reggie Smith - Was way out of position on Murhpy's touchdown before the half and looked very slow running way behind him to boot. Before last night I thought he could play cornerback in a pinch but I have changed my mind about that, he is strictly a safety.

Phillip Adams - Looked very good for the second straight week. All three of his punt returns were very good and he was good in coverage as well, though not to the extent of last week. He knocked down a couple of passes again. One of them was kind of lucky but it also took skill to turn around and find the ball and knock it down without knowing exactly where it is. At this point he is basically a lock as the 4th corner.

Special Teams

K:
Joe Nedney - I can't say I wasn't surprised when he shanked that field goal but I'll attribute it to shaking the rust off. He looked very good on kickoffs.

P:
Andy Lee - Had one subpar punt but 3/4 were great and 2 pinned the Raiders inside the 20.
abaddon41_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

holy crap, phillip adams looked fast haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Maybe there's something to be said about holding starters out in preseason vs. teams you will face in the regular season, last yr's #1 pick Crabtree was held out by the HC in a last minute scratch as well as Vernon Davis. Over on the Cowboys team pg. everyone is talking about how Dallas held out OL & other starters in what could be described as a half-hearted effort at best in Houston last night & they got brutalized by a Texans team that took the game very seriously. Both teams were clearly aware of playing again in Houston in < a month.

Just ask the Raiders' best RB Michael Bush (fractured thumb) & Campbell (knocked out of the game by Laboy sack, possible concussion) about that. Once again the Raiders, easily the worst-managed team in the NFL, starts the season in a hole.

Biggest story of the game IMO is that Laboy sack, that's his 2nd in 2 preseason games. He might be the 9ers best offseason acquisition & is starting to look like the textbook 3rd & long designated pass rushing OLB they had hoped Manny Lawson would become but hasn't. Line him up at the WILL or SAM spot, doesnt matter, the guy is showing the QB headhunter form he displayed at Tennessee.

The fact that Chilo Rachal did not turn in another absolute suckage performance forces the coaches to make some tough decisions at cut time. Keep Rachal in the starting lineup? That's still a big gamble, & as much as they would like to avoid the Wk. 1 OL shuffling they were forced into with injuries in 09 they might have to do it again. Wragge or Snyder might have to back up at both guards so that means they have cut depth elsewhere. Whoever performs best at pass blocking in their revamped, Smith-friendly shotgun spread formation for passing downs s/b the starter, only 1 more preseason game to determine that.

Last edited by LizardState : 08-29-2010 at 12:07 PM.