Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys Martz was fired for two reasons. One because his philosiphy is different, and two because he is no more than a stop gap OC.

The second reason is why none of your signings make sense. Brian Dawkins would maybe start for us for a year maybe two, wouldn't make that big of a difference.

Shaun Mcdonald - Is not a good fit for our offense anymore, and with the young talent we have there is no reason to bring in another veteran.

Mike Brown - It's not like he would even play for us.

Suggs - I feel like I am beating this to death so i'm just gonna stop, even though I am pretty sure Dan is the only one that wants him which makes sense.

Singletary on the QB position does scare me I really hope we don't bring another one in, unless he is a mid round draft pick.

Taylor Mays is our number one pick in my mind at this point.

Honestly right now Jordan Gross would be the only person that intrigues me in FA all the other guys are stop gaps nothing more.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think William Moore is the best all around safety in the draft right now.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I still think William Moore is the best all around safety in the draft right now.
He might have been not right now though.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
I agree, but his talent will easily help him correct that if it even becomes an issue, I wouldn't let that stray me away from selecting him. I'd like to see him demonstrate some ball skills though, how many career INT's does he have? We saw him pass up some INT's for highlight hits against Cal. How about Mays yesterday, blowing up two people with one hit... OMG. Too bad one of them was on SC.

A great player non the less, definitely on the 49ers radar.
he doesnt get many INT's because of how much range he covers. by the time he gets to the play he usually just knocks it down. He makes the picks when he gets the chance. Once hes covering half of the field instead of the whole thing he will get alot more picks.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor Mays is overrated. He is a great athlete but a bad football player.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
he's been slow to the ball this year and he has not played all that well.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Taylor Mays is overrated. He is a great athlete but a bad football player.
Are you kidding? How is he over rated.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:20 AM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

signing gross should be number one FA priority, then i say we draft mays and then freeman in the second if hes there.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG4prez View Post
signing gross should be number one FA priority, then i say we draft mays and then freeman in the second if hes there.
In that scenario we should go for an RT in the 2nd and a project QB further down.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Hey guys, theres a forum mock thats being set up if anybody is interested. There are still something like 12 GM spots available if people are interested.

For people that haven't participated in a forum mock in the past they should check it out, they are tons of fun.

Sign-up deadline is tonight, so try to hurry.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...t=28445&page=3
Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think Jordan Gross is going to come to SF.

It's still OLB, FS, RT or NT, which ever is BPA when drafting.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with menardo, Taylor Mays needs to be a 49er, I can't picture anyone being better for us right now.

As for the worries about wrap up ability and/or ball skills. I'm going to answer those questions with another question. Do you believe that a Mike Singletary coached defensive player would be allowed to neglect fundamentals? I don't believe that would be the case, especially with a kid that would be HIS first draft pick.

Bring on Mays
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
Guys Martz was fired for two reasons. One because his philosiphy is different, and two because he is no more than a stop gap OC.

The second reason is why none of your signings make sense. Brian Dawkins would maybe start for us for a year maybe two, wouldn't make that big of a difference.

Shaun Mcdonald - Is not a good fit for our offense anymore, and with the young talent we have there is no reason to bring in another veteran.

Mike Brown - It's not like he would even play for us.

Suggs - I feel like I am beating this to death so i'm just gonna stop, even though I am pretty sure Dan is the only one that wants him which makes sense.

Singletary on the QB position does scare me I really hope we don't bring another one in, unless he is a mid round draft pick.

Taylor Mays is our number one pick in my mind at this point.

Honestly right now Jordan Gross would be the only person that intrigues me in FA all the other guys are stop gaps nothing more.
I agree with you about Martz.

Brian Dawkins would be a two year stopgap but if there's no one else there in FA and no FS is worth the tenth overall draft pick, signing him would be a good move for several reasons. He's still arguable the best FS in the NFL, played with M. Lewis in Philly which is good because the chemistry is already there and he would bring veteran leadership and toughness.

Rather see use re-sign Johnson instead of bringing in McDonald.

Mike Brown is a waste as he's never healthy. If im going to sign a veteran FS, mine as well just sign Dawkins.

Yeah, I probably am the only one who wants Suggs but that's because im the opposite of everyone here. And how is he a stopgap when he's only 26 years old?

QB wise, we agree on something somewhat as I wouldnt draft a QB at all. Sign a veteran (im hoping for Garcia), keep Hill and Smith and there ya go.

I dont think anyone can say who our number one pick is because who knows whats going to happen between now and the Draft. I still favor Jenkins but I'll wait until after FA is done before going into detail about the Draft.

Gross would definitely be a good signing. You dont think that Sproles (over Foster) and Dansby (over Spikes) wouldnt be good signings? None of them are stopgaps so why you think that Gross is the only player who isnt a stopgap player is beyond me.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brian Dawkins would be a two year stopgap but if there's no one else there in FA and no FS is worth the tenth overall draft pick, signing him would be a good move for several reasons. He's still arguable the best FS in the NFL, played with M. Lewis in Philly which is good because the chemistry is already there and he would bring veteran leadership and toughness.
If he's the best FS in the NFL then Philly keep him. He's heart and soul of their defence and the only reason they let him walk is if he's down and out. If that happens and he's past it then we certainly don't want him. There are two decent options for FS that deserve get a look with our 1st rounder.

Quote:
Yeah, I probably am the only one who wants Suggs but that's because im the opposite of everyone here. And how is he a stopgap when he's only 26 years old?
He didn't say he'd be a stopgap. He's not coming here. Simple as that.

Quote:
You dont think that Sproles (over Foster) and Dansby (over Spikes) wouldnt be good signings? None of them are stopgaps so why you think that Gross is the only player who isnt a stopgap player is beyond me.
With LT hitting 30 and with injury problems I don't see Sproles coming to San Fran. There's a weak RB class and the Chargers will most likely keep their efficient handcuff incase their starter goes down again next season. Dansby will want marquee status and the contract to go with it and in our D that's already taken. We need a solid TED to raise under Spikes and maybe an OLB but I'm not as sold on that. Beside he says he wants to stay in Arizona.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
I'm with menardo, Taylor Mays needs to be a 49er, I can't picture anyone being better for us right now.

As for the worries about wrap up ability and/or ball skills. I'm going to answer those questions with another question. Do you believe that a Mike Singletary coached defensive player would be allowed to neglect fundamentals? I don't believe that would be the case, especially with a kid that would be HIS first draft pick.

Bring on Mays
Not wrapping up is second nature to him because he's been allowed to do it and it actually works in college. I wouldn't mind drafting him but I seriously think Mays is overrated myself, getting national attention based on measurables and whatnot

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

gross is 28 why would we draft another tackle? i think wed be in a position to go BPA in the second after safety and tackle taken care of. this would allow us to get a top qb if one drops (id love freeman) or even a playmaking wr if one falls. getting gross would add so much flexibilty to how we draft i think we gotta get him if he leaves
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
49ers169
Rookie

49ers169 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we have 4 major issues going into free agency. Most have already been hit on in FS, OLB, NT and OT.

I think it would be best to sign O.J. Atogwe. He would be an excellent ball hawk safety and is a better option then relying on Mays. Mays would be a monster SS but not sure I like him at FS.

Menardo I am not sure how he is a stop gap either. Would like to hear your reasoning on that one.

If we sign Atogwe that allows us to focus on the other three.

In that situation we can draft the BPA amongst that group. If a guy like Monroe falls than that would be a no brainer. If not we can address the OLB spot with Orakpo or Curry if they fall. If not I would love to get BJ Raji on this team.
49ers169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Mays is rapidly becoming my first choice for the pick, too. If you look around the NFL, the elite defenses that are out there almost always seem to have an elite safety in the secondary... Ed Reed in Baltimore, Troy Polamalu in Pittsburgh, etc. Mays may lack polish, but a good defensive coaching staff can teach that, and I think we have some pretty good coaches on D. Mays' raw athleticism and physicality, though, can't be taught. Gross in FA may be a longshot, but I'd love to see us go after him and draft Mays in round one, address RB and QB in the middle rounds, and build some OL and DL depth late. Oh, and I hope to God we can re-sign Takeo-- can you imagine Spikes, Willis, and Mays in the middle of our D next season? That could be really, really dominant.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Are you kidding? How is he over rated.
Because he isn't a good player. If you didn't know his measurables and just watched him play you would think he wasn't even going to get drafted. I personally don't want another "book or bust" project in the first round, and certainly not in the top 10. With the 10th pick in the draft you should get a player that is going to make an immediate impact and I just don't see Mays as that type of player.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG4prez View Post
id love freeman
I'd hate drafting Josh Freeman, he has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'd hate drafting Josh Freeman, he has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential.
Yeah big no to Freeman. Mays has gotten better every game his range in the secondary is exactly what we need.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Because he isn't a good player. If you didn't know his measurables and just watched him play you would think he wasn't even going to get drafted. I personally don't want another "book or bust" project in the first round, and certainly not in the top 10. With the 10th pick in the draft you should get a player that is going to make an immediate impact and I just don't see Mays as that type of player.

Are you serious? Did you even bother to turn on the Rose Bowl?

Mays showed the speed and range that has been hyped up all season. I think he definitely has legit 4.40 speed. He played great in coverage as he has all season and had really good form to his tackling and had a nice big hit (although somewhat dirty) too. What else could you want in a FS or SS?

Production from DBs is overrated. Tackles and INTs really don't mean that much. How many INTs has Asomugha had over the last 2 seasons? 2. That isn't because he sucks and lacks ball skills. It is more that he does not get oppurtunities because no one can get open on him because he is a beast. Obviously Asomugha and Mays play different positions but Mays has played deep centerfield for the number one passing defense in the country.

My 49ers dream draft:
1.Taylor Mays S USC
2.Phil Loadholdt OT Oklahoma
3.Larry English OLB/DE Northern Illinois
4.Ron Brace DT Boston College
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by will99890 View Post
Are you serious? Did you even bother to turn on the Rose Bowl?

Mays showed the speed and range that has been hyped up all season. I think he definitely has legit 4.40 speed. He played great in coverage as he has all season and had really good form to his tackling and had a nice big hit (although somewhat dirty) too. What else could you want in a FS or SS?

Production from DBs is overrated. Tackles and INTs really don't mean that much. How many INTs has Asomugha had over the last 2 seasons? 2. That isn't because he sucks and lacks ball skills. It is more that he does not get oppurtunities because no one can get open on him because he is a beast. Obviously Asomugha and Mays play different positions but Mays has played deep centerfield for the number one passing defense in the country.

My 49ers dream draft:
1.Taylor Mays S USC
2.Phil Loadholdt OT Oklahoma
3.Larry English OLB/DE Northern Illinois
4.Ron Brace DT Boston College
Your dream draft would be perfect.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Your dream draft would be perfect.
Ditto. Especially like the Ron Brace pick.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

Yea if my dream draft really did happen I might crap my pants out of sheer excitement. I don't think Brace or English will fall that far, but anything can happen on draft day.