Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will99890 View Post
Yea if my dream draft really did happen I might crap my pants out of sheer excitement. I don't think Brace or English will fall that far, but anything can happen on draft day.
If we even had those first 2 rounds I would be happy. I think Loadholdt is a beast.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If we even had those first 2 rounds I would be happy. I think Loadholdt is a beast.
Absolutely he will be a great RT. Also in the news this week it sounds like Spikes and Johnson both really want to come back so that is good news.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Absolutely he will be a great RT. Also in the news this week it sounds like Spikes and Johnson both really want to come back so that is good news.
Spikes just likes playing next to Willis, as for Johnson, I think he realizes that this is his only place to have a shot at being a starter.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Spikes just likes playing next to Willis, as for Johnson, I think he realizes that this is his only place to have a shot at being a starter.
And that may not even be for much longer.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And that may not even be for much longer.
Key word there would be "chance." ;)

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro_1014 View Post
he doesnt get many INT's because of how much range he covers. by the time he gets to the play he usually just knocks it down. He makes the picks when he gets the chance. Once hes covering half of the field instead of the whole thing he will get alot more picks.

Thats a good point, he plays centerfield more often than not at SC. They are usually mixing it up in the front 7, blitzing, zone blitzing so he'll roll over the top. And like you said, damn this cat covers a lot of ground. He can do everything the 49ers need right now, too bad there will never be another Ed Reed...
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Because he isn't a good player. If you didn't know his measurables and just watched him play you would think he wasn't even going to get drafted. I personally don't want another "book or bust" project in the first round, and certainly not in the top 10. With the 10th pick in the draft you should get a player that is going to make an immediate impact and I just don't see Mays as that type of player.
Sounds like you need to sit down and re-examine what you think you know about football. There a players in college today, who are afraid of Taylor Mays. Starting with Jordan Norwood and the rest of the Penn State WR corps. I know there are players who have measureables that project and are similar to elite prospects but do not play like that. Mays will not be one of them. At worst, he's a solid starter, and were talking about how Roman is anything but. Mays size/speed is great for 3rd down nickel/dime packages, where he can step into the box, maybe add a safety and your run support suffers less with the nickel/dime packages. He plays centerfield for SC all day, he can cover a lot of ground. What I dont know, is how agile he is, how he can cover man-2-man. Which we ask roman to do, so it's up for discusssion.

If you're going to try and tell me and this entire forum that Mays is wack, then drop us some knowledge on something else then. Im interested now.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

Quote:
I'd hate drafting Josh Freeman, he has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential.
Well said Brent, the guy is a major stiff, and I think he has been mentioned in these forums because people were looking for Qb prospects to talk about. Talk about a disaster.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

I'm not sold on Loadholt, I feel like his size works against him in some cases. In the Texas game I saw him get bull rushed more than once (He was going against other Day 1, Round 1 prospects). If we have a shorter QB, that might not mix well either... Is he what Scott will call a 'Road-Grader' in the run game? Either way, I know he's better than Sims. It's just whether he's better than Snyder.

Speaking of RT, what are we doing with Jennings? He's going to earn over 5Mil., and his cap hit would be just under 4 Mil. I believe. I say we dump his ass, it would be saving a million basically, because its not like he's going to play.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
Well said Brent, the guy is a major stiff, and I think he has been mentioned in these forums because people were looking for Qb prospects to talk about. Talk about a disaster.
He's a decent college QB but he's not polished at all and his measurables are selling him to people.

Quote:
Speaking of RT, what are we doing with Jennings? He's going to earn over 5Mil., and his cap hit would be just under 4 Mil. I believe. I say we dump his ass, it would be saving a million basically, because its not like he's going to play.
I think the plan is to drop him and save a million in the cap. Then, keep Snyder as the starter and draft a RT.

Last edited by Brent : 01-05-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
agubie
Rookie

agubie is a cocksman.agubie is a cocksman.agubie is a cocksman.agubie is a cocksman.

This might be far fetched idea but if the Raiders don't sign N. Asomugha then the Niners should try and sign him. That would eliminate the need to draft a CB like Jenkins and would give us a good CB tandem with Clements and Asomugha. By having those two it would allow the pass rush more time to get to the quarterback. I like the idea of signing Suggs but how effective would he be if the QB has already got rid of the ball to a WR. Another shut down corner would buy more time for the pass rush plus it would help facing the Cards twice a year.

Also by saving our draft pick we could go for a guy like Mays to be SS/FS. Think about it; Mays, Clements, Asomugha, and Harris/Spencer playing nickel. That would allow the Niners to blitz more even have more corner blitzes or safety blitzes. We would be a really physical defense with Willis, Clements, Spikes, Mays, and Asomugha.

Yes the money he would want would hurt our cap but he would be worth every penny. Another shut down corner to help the pass rush and would allow for different blitz packages and by drafting Mays we would have a very young and very good defense for years to come.
agubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by agubie View Post
This might be far fetched idea but if the Raiders don't sign N. Asomugha then the Niners should try and sign him. That would eliminate the need to draft a CB like Jenkins and would give us a good CB tandem with Clements and Asomugha. By having those two it would allow the pass rush more time to get to the quarterback. I like the idea of signing Suggs but how effective would he be if the QB has already got rid of the ball to a WR. Another shut down corner would buy more time for the pass rush plus it would help facing the Cards twice a year.

Also by saving our draft pick we could go for a guy like Mays to be SS/FS. Think about it; Mays, Clements, Asomugha, and Harris/Spencer playing nickel. That would allow the Niners to blitz more even have more corner blitzes or safety blitzes. We would be a really physical defense with Willis, Clements, Spikes, Mays, and Asomugha.

Yes the money he would want would hurt our cap but he would be worth every penny. Another shut down corner to help the pass rush and would allow for different blitz packages and by drafting Mays we would have a very young and very good defense for years to come.
Not going to happen. He's going to ask for enough money that he's the highest paid non-QB player in the league.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind having Taylor Mays. I just think he's getting praised more for having great size and athleticism. He has very poor tackling technique but he gets away with it in college. I know it can be taught all I'm saying is that he hasn't impressed me enough to go top 10.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Good pass rushes can make mediocre defensive backfields look very good. Most passes are not thrown well which sets up interceptions. If you have one legit guy back there you'll be set if your pass rush is top notch. See Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
49ers169
Rookie

49ers169 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Never happen and a better way to utilize our resources this offseason is sign OJ Atogwe to take over at FS and sign a veteran RT. I think the Rams franchise their corner instead of Atogwe. He is pretty young and certainly a playmaker and would be a better fit than anyone in the draft. I wouldn't be outraged if we drafted Mays in the first round but I think we can do better.

If we do that and sign a guy like Carey or Gross that will give us a solution at RT and we won't have to address that early on in the draft as well.

If those two things happen we can address the bigger issues with this team and that is a pass rush. With the #10 pick if a guy like Orakpo or Curry doesn't fall I would say upgrade the nose tackle position with Raji. It may seem like a reach at this point but he is arguably the best defensive tackle coming into the draft and the athleticism he has rivals that of a Vince Wilfork.

Then with our second round pick we could move up to get value at the WILL position in a guy like Cushing or Sintim. If we hold onto that pick we could most likely pick up Larry English and he would be a nice addition to be opposite of Manny Lawson.

Finally with the third round, since we would have addressed the main issues with the team we could go either with a QB (Not my first choice) or a change of pace RB to compliment Gore. This would be wise and a guy like Devin Moore who is a speedy guy but may not be there in the 3rd round after the combine if he posts time like he is able to.
49ers169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

No way we get Aso not down for having half our money in two corners.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to sit down and re-examine what you think you know about football. There a players in college today, who are afraid of Taylor Mays. Starting with Jordan Norwood and the rest of the Penn State WR corps. I know there are players who have measureables that project and are similar to elite prospects but do not play like that. Mays will not be one of them. At worst, he's a solid starter, and were talking about how Roman is anything but. Mays size/speed is great for 3rd down nickel/dime packages, where he can step into the box, maybe add a safety and your run support suffers less with the nickel/dime packages. He plays centerfield for SC all day, he can cover a lot of ground. What I dont know, is how agile he is, how he can cover man-2-man. Which we ask roman to do, so it's up for discusssion.

If you're going to try and tell me and this entire forum that Mays is wack, then drop us some knowledge on something else then. Im interested now.
I don't have to convince anyone that right now Mays is nothing more than a big hitter with great speed and has horrible technique because I think that is what everyone, or at least everyone with an unbiased opinion, thinks of him
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't have to convince anyone that right now Mays is nothing more than a big hitter with great speed and has horrible technique because I think that is what everyone, or at least everyone with an unbiased opinion, thinks of him
I sure as hell think of him that way.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Well now that we have a HC that cracks the whip and teaches that shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:00 PM    (permalink
49ers169
Rookie

Quote:
Well now that we have a HC that cracks the whip and teaches that shouldn't be much of a problem anymore.
It is a lot harder than just having a coach that cracks the whip to improve technique.

I don't see the real reason on trying to take Mays in the draft rather than addressing the issue in free agency with Atogwe.

He is a playmaker and proven and unless we address our pass rush it doesn't matter who we have at FS our secondary will still look bad.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers169 View Post
It is a lot harder than just having a coach that cracks the whip to improve technique.

I don't see the real reason on trying to take Mays in the draft rather than addressing the issue in free agency with Atogwe.

He is a playmaker and proven and unless we address our pass rush it doesn't matter who we have at FS our secondary will still look bad.
Our pass rush isn't bad. If you look at all the big plays we gave up it was because Roman couldn't cover. FS and RT are our biggest needs.

And no if you have a coach that harps on you about the little things it isn't that difficult.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I sure as hell think of him that way.
Yep. Me too. I think he's an OK prospect, but no way in hell am I OK with us spending the 10th pick on him. Safeties going in the top 10 should be elite. Mays is far from elite. If one of the top OTs is there, I'd go that route. Or hopefully Orakpo or Jenkins will fall to 10.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Yep. Me too. I think he's an OK prospect, but no way in hell am I OK with us spending the 10th pick on him. Safeties going in the top 10 should be elite. Mays is far from elite. If one of the top OTs is there, I'd go that route. Or hopefully Orakpo or Jenkins will fall to 10.
How is he not an elite prospect? What makes Landry elite and Mays not?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
49ers169
Rookie

Quote:
Our pass rush isn't bad. If you look at all the big plays we gave up it was because Roman couldn't cover. FS and RT are our biggest needs.

And no if you have a coach that harps on you about the little things it isn't that difficult.
We can have an all world free safety roaming the field but without a pass rush guys will still get beat deep.

As for your assertion that we have a decent pass rush, no we really don't. Singletary has addressed getting a pass rusher in free agency and he believes it is a serious need. I agree with him. If he wants to play the 4-3 like we did most of last year than a guy like Everette Brown, Orakpo, Hardy or Curry would make sense. If we try and go back to a 3-4 primarily then a guy like Curry or Orakpo would be perfect WILL candidates.

Mays wouldn't be the best pick but he wouldn't be the worst either. As for Landry not being elite, he is a strong safety naturally. If we needed a strong safety Mays would be elite. Mays is quite a ways from Ed Reed as far as ball skills go when Reed was coming out..

Last edited by 49ers169 : 01-06-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How is he not an elite prospect? What makes Landry elite and Mays not?
They're not even close. Sorry.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote