Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

I still cant believe people put Moore ahead of Mays. Why would you want Moore, who looked overweight and slow all season over Mays. If Moore couldn't cover good enough to make plays this year in the pass happy Big 12 I highly doubt he would make much of an impact on our team.

Even as a SS I think Moore is overrated. I was never really impressed by his tackling ability. IMO Moore equals a shorter, slower, and worse tackling version of Taylor Mays.

It all comes down to his weight IMO. Moore at 210-215 like last year is worth a top 15 pick. But this year 225 or 230 as Scott has him listed is too much for him to carry effectively.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will99890 View Post
I still cant believe people put Moore ahead of Mays. Why would you want Moore, who looked overweight and slow all season over Mays. If Moore couldn't cover good enough to make plays this year in the pass happy Big 12 I highly doubt he would make much of an impact on our team.

Even as a SS I think Moore is overrated. I was never really impressed by his tackling ability. IMO Moore equals a shorter, slower, and worse tackling version of Taylor Mays.

It all comes down to his weight IMO. Moore at 210-215 like last year is worth a top 15 pick. But this year 225 or 230 as Scott has him listed is too much for him to carry effectively.
The bottom line of the argument is who at their best is better. I say it's Mays. Either way I think Moore being overweight could be an indicator of his work ethic which is a big red flag.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will99890 View Post
He obviously played out of his niche having to match up in man coverage with recievers. Being in the zone coverage scheme is where he thrives and we seen that last season. He was asked to step up into man coverage more often this season because of his supporting cast, or lack thereof. Something Taylor Mays never had to worry about. I'd like to see Taylor Mays play man all day in a conference with Robinson, Bradford, McCoy, and Freeman.

Quote:
He's shorter. He might be slower but not by alot due to Taylor Mays' freakish athleticism but he definitely isn't a worse tackler. Taylor Mays has one of the most terrible tackling techniques I have ever seen in a safety. He gets away with it because he's bigger and stronger than everyone else IN COLLEGE. I'd like to see him tackle a Brandon Jacobs like the way he does.

Quote:
His weight could be a problem. But given the circumstances with Mark Roman in San Fran, I'm willing to overlook Jenny Craig rather than watch another season with Roman back there.

All in all, IMHO, at his best... Moore > Mays

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
The bottom line of the argument is who at their best is better. I say it's Mays. Either way I think Moore being overweight could be an indicator of his work ethic which is a big red flag.
He might have put it on in the weight room..

Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
He might have put it on in the weight room..
He didnt. He's been banged up all year and wasnt able to get into proper shape or be 100% healthy.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

First off, Grossman played at LT tackle this year at a very high level. Someone is going to have to overpay to get him and they are going to give him top 3 tackle money. We couldn't pay for him to come in a be our RT, if we want him we would have to bring him in as a LT and move Staley to RT which I would not want to do.

Second, I don't think safety is the biggest need on this team. While we have lacked big plays from our defense, the safety position hasn't kept us from being a rather good defense.

However, our poor offensive line play has really been the biggest problem on this team for years. Our instability at o-line contributed to the poor development of Alex Smith, more than a few injuries to ALL of our qb's and general inconsistency in offensive performance.

To top it all off I don't think that Mays is as good a prospect as some of the o-line talent in this draft. It's not that I don't think Mays is good, but he is a bit of a workout warrior and he definitely has some questions and flaws to his game. For those of you hoping that he is the reincarnation of Ed Reed, you are probably going to be disappointed.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
will99890
Rookie

will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.will99890 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He didnt. He's been banged up all year and wasnt able to get into proper shape or be 100% healthy.
Exactly, thats why I wouldnt touch him very early in the draft until he proves that he is in shape and showing consistent effort. Moore from junior year was well worth a top 15 pick, but this year he played like a late first rounder at the absolute best. I would not mind having him on our team one bit if he gets his head on straight, gets healthy, and loses a few lbs.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

So we draft Taylor Mays because he's faster and taller than Moore and every other safety in the class? No, not at 10.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why is no-one considering Sam Bradford as a possibility for the 49ers first pick?

Quarterbacks have had a tendancy to drop a little in drafts because of the investment that you need to make. And I really don't think Hill is the long term answer at QB.

I think we should take Bradford and let him sit for a few years and then bring him in when he and the team is ready
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61 View Post
Why is no-one considering Sam Bradford as a possibility for the 49ers first pick?
A number of reasons:
-It wasnt that long ago we took a 1st round QB (that didnt work out)
-It's not our highest priority at the moment
-Too much money for someone that isnt going to contribute right away
-The bust potential on a QB is to high
-With the amount of money being paid to a guy sitting, it creates pressure to play him too soon

I am sure the others here could think of more reasons as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
A number of reasons:
-It wasnt that long ago we took a 1st round QB (that didnt work out)
-It's not our highest priority at the moment
-Too much money for someone that isnt going to contribute right away
-The bust potential on a QB is to high
-With the amount of money being paid to a guy sitting, it creates pressure to play him too soon

I am sure the others here could think of more reasons as well.
hes another QB coming from a spread offense....
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
He's shorter. He might be slower but not by alot due to Taylor Mays' freakish athleticism but he definitely isn't a worse tackler. Taylor Mays has one of the most terrible tackling techniques I have ever seen in a safety. He gets away with it because he's bigger and stronger than everyone else IN COLLEGE. I'd like to see him tackle a Brandon Jacobs like the way he does.
Did you happen to see Brian Dawkins wiff like a fool against Brandon Jacobs yesterday? Or how about Polamalu matched up with Manumalena (sp) and come away empty. The fact of the matter is that all of the safeties that play down hill and look to take your head off, are going to miss. Every single game they are going to miss. But when they connect, that's the reason they are elite. Polamalu misses a ton of tackles every time I watch him, but the speed at which he plays makes him a nightmare, and receivers know where he is at all times. I believe that Mays can be this exact type of player.

But in this instance you are right. If mays goes head to head with jacobs he will lose. But I would promise you that it would happen once, and then Mays, like everyone else would go much lower.

But I'd be willing to bet that coming down hill, he'd be able to go toe to toe with any other ball carrier in the league. And certainly could crush any receiver coming across the middle. So when you reference that he's bigger than everyone else in COLLEGE, you need to understand that at 235 he's still a big fella in the pros. In fact, excluding tight ends, he's bigger than every guy in our division that will be touching the ball. Steven Jackson is tied with him at 235. But it's not like he was playing against lightweight tight ends to begin with.

So this whole, he was big in college, implying he's not big in the pros, is ridiculous and you know it, or at least you do now.

** I think it was No Love who mentioned something to the effect of drafting a tackle instead of Mays. And I am with you on that, and I think even those who would really like to see Mays come here would agree. The problem is, is that one of the elite tackles would need to fall to us, IMO, in order to pass up Mays. I don't see that happening, and rather than take a less than elite tackle prospect, i'd rather take an elite safety prospect instead.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tackles will go faster than safeties in the Draft, just as they did last year. Anybody remember Sam Baker as a 1st Round Pick? He was a 2nd Round talent at the most and THAT was a stretch.

With that being said, I think the caliber of Tackle at 10 will be good, but by the 2nd Round, the Niners may have to overdraft a guy that was originally a 3rd Round projection. Whereas, with safeties, not as many teams need them.

If the jury is out on whether Mays or Moore is better, why take either one at 10? We need a can't-miss type of prospect there, not a project player. I bet a guy like Oher falls to them there, and I think he is an excellent value at 10. There's a much better chance that a safety that could still start for the Niners falls into the 2nd Round.

I like Mays more than Moore, but I've seen mocks with Mays going in the late 1st/Early 2nd. I don't want them to overdraft another "workout warrior" that impresses at the combine (Vernon Davis).

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

But will the front office want to spend top 10 money on a RT? They would be paying the guy more than Joe Staley.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/018494.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrows
The 49ers have added Rick Dennison, the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator, to their list of offensive coordinator candidates. In Dennison, 50, Mike Singletary will find a fellow former linebacker who played roughly the same span as Singletary. Dennison spent nine seasons with the Broncos from 1982-1990. He joined the Broncos as an offensive assistant in 1995. He coached the team's offensive line for five seasons before being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2006.
I find him to be an appealing candidate, especially given the Broncos' success running the ball. I wonder if he would use a zone blocking scheme or change it up.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Just throwing this out there, but playing safety for the four teams remaining in the playoffs are Adrian Wilson, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, and Ed Reed. Safeties may not be the most valuable position out there, but the good teams out there all seem to have an elite guy (or if they don't they regret it; See: Dallas Cowboys).
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

by adding mays it doesn't end the need for rt, de, and another solid wr, maybe even a young rd to help spell gore.
dawkins ( if he was signed ) would be a short term solution. i hope they spend time looking @ mays, patrick chung or michael hamlin.
bradford? sf has a decent qb in Hill. i would hope they bring a guy like garcia or charlie batch for cheap to help tutor him. hell, even jon kitna just for a season or 2 to help develop hill. spend an early pick next season on tebow, bradford, sanchez or nate davis but this season coming up not this year. maybe in the 5th or 7th on drew willy, mike teel, or tom brandstater to be your 3rd option.

Last edited by chapo123 : 01-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dawkins would not be a long term solution so I'd rather look to youth in the draft. Safety is a need but then again so is another 5 positions so I think we just take the best player available rather than reach for our needs.

I wouldnt mind Sanchez in the 2nd or Stafford in the 1st (if they fell) otherwise I dont want a QB before rd 4 if at all.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Josh Freeman in the 4th round?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
Dawkins would not be a long term solution so I'd rather look to youth in the draft. Safety is a need but then again so is another 5 positions so I think we just take the best player available rather than reach for our needs.

I wouldnt mind Sanchez in the 2nd or Stafford in the 1st (if they fell) otherwise I dont want a QB before rd 4 if at all.
Same. I think it would be wise to take BPA at #10 and trade back into round one to get a QB. Since I think Stafford and Bradford will be off the board by 10.

I also think that SF might try to replicate what they wanted to do in last years draft. Supposedly they would have taken Mayo, if they hadn't traded the pick to the Pats, and tried to trade back into round one for Flacco. I could see them grabbing Ray Maualuga at pick 10 and a QB in the last first round.

Also I think we can rule out Brian Dawkins:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Maiocco
Question: I think Brian Dawkins is a free agent after this year. He is old, but head and shoulders above the niners safties. Any chance of a one year deal for the Niners?

My response: I would not think so. Dawkins is still a fine player. But he is 35, and I think the 49ers would like to get somebody younger. Lewis is younger and he does a very good job close to the line of scrimmage. And Dawkins has only two more interceptions the past two seasons than Roman. --Matt M.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 01-13-2009 at 12:27 AM.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post

he'll be long gone before the 2nd round.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Taylor Mays is staying for his senior year.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

sf needs to look elsewhere since mays isn't coming out.malcom jenkins, michael oher, aaron curry would be great @ 10 spot
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
What about Josh Freeman in the 4th round?
As I have said before, I would hate if the Niners drafted Josh Freeman. He has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential, which comes from his measurables and not his performance on the field.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Mays stays... So now what?

I had Taylor Mays locked into the 10th pick but now that he is staying in school what do the Niners do now if Smith, Monroe and Oher are gone?
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote