Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I may be wrong here but isnt he more of a pass first OC like when he had Culpepper and Moss?
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM    (permalink
49erfaithful
Veteran

49erfaithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
I may be wrong here but isnt he more of a pass first OC like when he had Culpepper and Moss?
idk if he is or not, but i found an article from when he was first hired in STL about the schemes he tried to run. take it for what its worth since it is like 2 year old

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ohn&id=2545442

Last edited by 49erfaithful : 01-15-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot the link
49erfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
We won't take a WR in the first round especially after Morgan showed he could be a number one, and Jason Hill emerging.
Come on. 20 catches for 319 yards is not proof that Morgan is going to be the No. 1 receiver we've all been waiting for. It was a nice rookie season... I feel confident projecting that he'll be able to be a part of the Niners receiving corps for some time. But neither he nor Hill has, at this point, looked like a No. 1 receiver. They've both shown flashes, and I certainly have hope that they can develop more consistency, but saying at this point that we shouldn't draft a receiver in the 1st round because of Morgan and Hill isn't very sound thinking, IMO.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
He is who I figured it would be, his sytem fits us perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl9erfan View Post
Come on. 20 catches for 319 yards is not proof that Morgan is going to be the No. 1 receiver we've all been waiting for. It was a nice rookie season... I feel confident projecting that he'll be able to be a part of the Niners receiving corps for some time. But neither he nor Hill has, at this point, looked like a No. 1 receiver. They've both shown flashes, and I certainly have hope that they can develop more consistency, but saying at this point that we shouldn't draft a receiver in the 1st round because of Morgan and Hill isn't very sound thinking, IMO.
Yeah did all of that with less than a handfull of starts and a nagging groin injury.

Also I read Mcloughan's mailbag this week and he basically said if Everette Brown was available he would be the pick.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

Haralson98 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think drafting a WR in the first round is necessary because there will still be some good receivers in second that could possibly be #1's. I wouldn't mind them taking Maclin in the first but I'd rather them go after Derrick Williams, Joaquin Iglesias, or Brian Robiskie in the second round.

WR's like Desean Jackson, Eddie Royal, Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, and Greg Jennings prove that there is talent in later rounds. I think they should look at OT in the in the first round.
Haralson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

If the 49ers signed CB Kelvin Hayden in free agency and moved Reggie Smith to FS, What draft would you guys rather have?

Scenario 1:

1st round: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
2nd round: Alex Boone, OT, Ohio St.
3rd round: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
4th round: Jarrett Dillard, WR, Rice

Scenario 2:

1st round: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
2nd round: Derrick Williams, WR, Penn St.
3rd round: Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston St.
4th round: Dorrell Scott, DT, Clemson

Scenario 3:

1st round: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
2nd round: Terrence Taylor, DT, Michigan
3rd round: Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
4th round: Hunter Cantwell, QB, Louisville
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he basically said if Everette Brown was available he would be the pick.
That wouldn't be all that bad. He's a great pass rusher.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That wouldn't be all that bad. He's a great pass rusher.
Niether would I he would be a great addition. We could grab an OT in the second and a S in the third at that point.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Niether would I he would be a great addition. We could grab an OT in the second and a S in the third at that point.
I must say, I have the gut feeling that Aaron Curry could be the pick.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
I must say, I have the gut feeling that Aaron Curry could be the pick.
I really don't see how he would help us that much though. He is a great and versatile LB, but he isn't gonna be the elite pass rusher we need.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

I think Haralson and Lawson are fine as the OLB's as long as they get a good NT.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah did all of that with less than a handfull of starts and a nagging groin injury.

Also I read Mcloughan's mailbag this week and he basically said if Everette Brown was available he would be the pick.
Here is the quote from the Q&A:
Quote:
Our question to you is this: what positions are mostly needed to fill in this year’s draft? Also, if you have positions that you are in dire need of, do you slip away from those positions to pick up a can't pass up player in a different position that is not necessarily a need? For example, a lineman is top on the list but there is a stud linebacker still available, do you get the LB or stick with your lineman? - thank you and congrats on a hard fought season! - Lars

A: Going into the draft, we always approach it with the mindset of taking the best player off the board. If it happens to also be a position of need, that’s great, but we never look past a good football player if they are on the board, because we aren’t thinking about just year one. We’ve got to think about years two, three, four, five and so on. You can never have enough talented football players on the field. In terms of positions of need, a lot can change during free agency, so we’ll wait and see before I start putting that out there. BUT, if there’s a can’t miss pass rusher in the draft and we are picking, I promise we’re taking him.
Count me in on the Everette Brown bandwagon. He is my Quentin Groves for this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJJ14HL5EE

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 01-15-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I suck at embedding videos
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I really don't see how he would help us that much though. He is a great and versatile LB, but he isn't gonna be the elite pass rusher we need.
I agree but I just have the weird feeling it could be him. Brown would be a better choice if we are going OLB. I hate how every mock has us taking a QB.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
If Jenkins and Oher are both gone at 10, we should look into trading down or trading the pick for a player who could help us sooner rather than later but who isnt a veteran player.

As for FA, I would like to see us go after Bengals RT Stacy Andrews. He's coming off surgery and could miss the 2009 season or not be 100% but at only 27 years old, he could turn out to be a cheap steal if the Bengal dont re-sign him. Another player that I would like to see us go after but not overpay is Steelers RT Max Starks. Starks was a disappointment in Pittsburgh after being franchised a year ago and will most likely be allowed to leave as an UFA. Starks just turned 27 a few days ago and could turn out to be a steal. I wouldnt go nuts and overpay either one but if they can be signed for a somewhat good deal, I wouldnt mind taking the risk.

I wouldnt complain about signing Gross if he somehow hits FA but I wouldnt want to overpay him since you can bet that there will be a bidding war for him.

Thoughts???
I agree that it probably wouldn't be wise to get in a bidding war for Gross. After going through the Jonas Jennings injury conundrum I don't think I would sign a RT coming off an injury. The guy I would like SF to target is Vernon Carey from the Dolphins. He would be the perfect fit for our power running game.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I agree but I just have the weird feeling it could be him. Brown would be a better choice if we are going OLB. I hate how every mock has us taking a QB.
I dont think Curry lasts that long. Im ok with Brown too if the OTs are gone. Yes these idiot that have the Niners taking a QB are driving me crazy. It makes no sense. I really dont get it.

How would you guys feel if Orakpo drops to 10 with the OTs off the board?

Vernon Carey would be nice.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

I'm really worried about SanFran taking a pass rusher in the 1st round and not addressing the the NT position. Do you guys really think that OLB is the problem for them not getting to the QB?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

There's a lot of wiggle room in that McCloughan statement... does he think Brown is that kind of "can't miss pass rusher"? Maybe he was referring to Orakpo. Or maybe he doesn't know if anyone in the draft fits that profile yet, before the senior bowl, combine, etc. In fact, if anything, this makes me more doubtful that the 9ers will be looking pass rush in the first, because if it were that obvious that there was such a player out there, McCloughan wouldn't be telegraphing his move like that.

And yes, Morgan did miss some games, but still, that's another thing you need to add onto his resume-- so far he hasn't shown he can stay healthy at the NFL level. Again, I'm not saying that I don't think he'll develop or anything like that, but what I am saying is that at this point the only thing you can assume he'll give you at the WR position is depth because he simply hasn't taken that next step yet. If he does next year, great. If he does and we have another really good young WR opposite him, wouldn't that be even better? What if it was a WR, like Maclin, with a complementary skillset to Morgan's? Maclin's great on deep routes, Morgan is great over the middle. Maclin is fast, Morgan is strong. Etc. Something like that would just make Morgan harder to defend, because the safeties would have to account for Maclin's speed.

Last edited by stl9erfan : 01-16-2009 at 12:23 AM.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Linehan offered OC job
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...orts/901150209

thoughts?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

Quote:

I love it, Nobody is beating down Linehan's door to become a head coach anytime soon so I really hope he's there more than 3 years to add continuity to the offense.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haralson98 View Post
I love it, Nobody is beating down Linehan's door to become a head coach anytime soon so I really hope he's there more than 3 years to add continuity to the offense.
HaHa I thought the same thing about Norv. You just never know.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
I think he was the right hire fits us perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haralson98 View Post
I'm really worried about SanFran taking a pass rusher in the 1st round and not addressing the the NT position. Do you guys really think that OLB is the problem for them not getting to the QB?
Lol wow.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Maiocco
Question: I know you have commented on Franklin's improved play in the second half of the season. I also read that Sing mentioned that the top needs going into the offseason were OT, OLB, and FS (I believe). I don't remember him saying anything about a NT. Is the belief inside the 49ers organization that they do not need an upgrade at NT? Surely they will need depth, but will they be looking for a new starter?

My response: I don't think they'll necessarily be looking for a new starter, but they'll need to add a nose tackle, probably via the draft. Franklin has just one year remaining on his deal and Ronald Fields is a scheduled free agent. I think the 49ers feel very good about the way D.C. Greg Manusky was able to utilize Franklin in the second half of the season.

Question: Matt - any updates on Alex Smith restructuring his contract to a lesser amount?

My response: There's nothing to report. People with the 49ers have spoken to Smith, and he seems as if he wants to be back. If Linehan comes to the organization that would probably make Smith even more excited about returning. I'm hearing, though, that his agent might think the better move for Smith is to start anew somewhere else.

Question: Matt - After accounting for likely slotted salaries of their draft picks, how much cap space do the 49ers have this year and is it enough to be a major player in the FA market as they have been the last couple years?

My response: The 49ers have plenty of money to spend on free agents and to accomplish some contract extensions with players whose contracts are set to expire in the next couple years. They can be a major player in free agency. They should have at least $20 million in cap space for free agency. Just a hunch, but I don't know if they'll go after a huge-money guy, but they might try to sweep up a several players who fall into a more reasonable range.

Question: Do you believe they are satisfied with the current CB depth behind Walt Harris, or is there a chance they'd take possibly a Corner in the 1st?

My response: Honestly, I don't think there should be one position that's off the board for the No. 10 overall pick. Think about it, if the 49ers have a chance to take an outstanding QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, CB or S with that pick, they should do it. The CB depth is all right with Nate Clements, Walt Harris, Tarell Brown, Donald Strickland (assuming he re-signs) and Shawntae Spencer. Also, Reggie Smith will have a chance to show what he can do.

Question: Any thoughts as to which players would benefit most from Linehan coming aboard? Also, care to take a stab at which 49ers should see the most improvement next year?

My response: The tight ends! I'm told Linehan has high opinions of both Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker. In fact, he believes Walker can create all kinds of matchup problems for defenses if used in the proper way.
I found this interesting, I wonder if someone like Raji is even a consideration for #10.

Last edited by Brent : 01-16-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
I found this interesting, I wonder if someone like Raji is even a consideration for #10.
I think today he might not be, but I think he has the potential to be a true game changer and one of the elite NT's in the game.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Everette Brown, OLB Fla State.
2. Phil Loadholdt, OT Oklahoma
3. Patrick Chung, FS Oregon

How's that?

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:

No way Mcloughan indicated that this early.