Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Miller but I'm also wondering about his size/strength combo for a 3/4 OLB. He's smaller than Orakpo but definitely explosive. I'll be interested in seeing more of Miller and Quinn at the Combine.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that if Green was to fall to 7, I can definitely see a few teams be willing to trade up. One team could be NE who have two first rounders and six draft picks in the first three rounds. When you look at them offensively, all they need is that playmaking WR. If Peterson/Prince are both gone but Green is still there and NE was interested in trading away both first rounders, I would definitely do it. Would then draft CB Jimmy Smith at 17 and OG Mike Pouncey at 28 which solidifies two positions of need. Add hopefully CB Richard Marshall via UFA and we have our two new starting CB's and one hell of an OL where Pouncey is a HUGE upgrade over Rachal/Baas/Snyder at RG. Imagine if we were able to sign C Ryan Kalil away from CAR. Can you say best young OL in the league??? Not going to happen but I can dream, tee hee.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
No one trades down. And, with this group, I don't think you're going to see many, if any, teams wanting to trade up.
What do you mean? Someone trades down every year. Its not possible for a team to trade up without another team trading down. And if a team really likes a player there's always a chance to trade up. Who would have thought we trade up for Davis or SD trades up for Mathews?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I think that if Green was to fall to 7, I can definitely see a few teams be willing to trade up. One team could be NE who have two first rounders and six draft picks in the first three rounds. When you look at them offensively, all they need is that playmaking WR. If Peterson/Prince are both gone but Green is still there and NE was interested in trading away both first rounders, I would definitely do it. Would then draft CB Jimmy Smith at 17 and OG Mike Pouncey at 28 which solidifies two positions of need. Add hopefully CB Richard Marshall via UFA and we have our two new starting CB's and one hell of an OL where Pouncey is a HUGE upgrade over Rachal/Baas/Snyder at RG. Imagine if we were able to sign C Ryan Kalil away from CAR. Can you say best young OL in the league??? Not going to happen but I can dream, tee hee.
If Green slips that would be perfect to trade down. It would be un Belichick like to trade up but its possible for a talent like Green. Im sure other teams would be interested too.

If we draft a O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds ill be pissed. I don't care if Baas is a FA and Chilo is inconsistent. We are the only team in the league that uses this many high picks on the OL. Its not necessary. With better coaching and discipline they will get more consistent. Plus they're a young group. We should be able to find someone to play C or RG if Baas leaves or the new staff doesn't like Chilo.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
What do you mean? Someone trades down every year. Its not possible for a team to trade up without another team trading down. And if a team really likes a player there's always a chance to trade up. Who would have thought we trade up for Davis or SD trades up for Mathews?
I think he means, if we're sitting there and AJ Green is available, it's not up to us whether we trade back, it's up to another team if they want to move up.

We couldn't call up NE and say, "hey guys, two firsts please and we'll give you this spot".

It only works if NE calls US and says, "hey, we'll give you this, for this"
*side note - NE would never do that, in my opinion*

You can almost always find a trade partner if you want to move up, because you can almost always sweeten the pot enough to where they other party says yes.

Plenty of teams would love to move back and stockpile if their guy isn't there...but it doesn't work that way.

Long explanation, but I think that's what he means - what I got out of it anyway, and I agree.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

^ Well, yeah if you put it that way the team trading down rarely initiates the trade talks. But that doesn't make trading down any less likely. There's always teams trading up. I have a feeling almost every team in the top 10 gets a call on draft day about what it would take for their pick. Every team wants one of the top prospects. There's many teams in the 10-20 range that could be interested in a Dareus, Quinn, Green, Prince or any of the top guys if they slip.

Basically i was just wondering if you guys would take Quinn, Miller, or Prince... or trade back to get an extra pick(s) and take someone like Houston, Kerrigan, Smith, or Harris. If i had the choice id trade back.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
^ Well, yeah if you put it that way the team trading down rarely initiates the trade talks. But that doesn't make trading down any less likely. There's always teams trading up. I have a feeling almost every team in the top 10 gets a call on draft day about what it would take for their pick. Every team wants one of the top prospects. There's many teams in the 10-20 range that could be interested in a Dareus, Quinn, Green, Prince or any of the top guys if they slip.

Basically i was just wondering if you guys would take Quinn, Miller, or Prince... or trade back to get an extra pick(s) and take someone like Houston, Kerrigan, Smith, or Harris. If i had the choice id trade back.
I would take any of those three you mentioned, Prince, Miller, Quinn before any of the others, plus a pick. That's just a personal preference of mine though. If I were to trade back, it wouldn't be too far, most likely to someone who wanted AJ Green, and I would have to be very confident that I could get someone like Kerrigan in the end.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
I think he means, if we're sitting there and AJ Green is available, it's not up to us whether we trade back, it's up to another team if they want to move up
Yes, that is what I meant.
Quote:
Basically i was just wondering if you guys would take Quinn, Miller, or Prince... or trade back to get an extra pick(s) and take someone like Houston, Kerrigan, Smith, or Harris.
I really want to like Quinn, but the year of not playing really bugs me.

I would certainly take Miller in a heartbeat; Prince, too.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

doubt anyone would trade UP for a WR.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 AM    (permalink
MaybeDavis
Rookie

MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.

If we trade back alittle bit and got Kerrigan, I'm very happy, but Miller, Green and Prince on the Board I dont want to trade back for Harris or Smith. If we sure can get Kerrigan I#m in.
MaybeDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeDavis View Post
If we trade back alittle bit and got Kerrigan, I'm very happy, but Miller, Green and Prince on the Board I dont want to trade back for Harris or Smith. If we sure can get Kerrigan I#m in.
Aldon Smith is a freaking baller. No one should be disappointed if we traded back and got him.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott said this via Twitter:

"Hearing that some teams are really getting scared off on North Carolina's Robert Quinn due to the benign brain tumor he had in high school."
Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeDavis View Post
I feel like thats the best possible situation. Honestly I love Kerrigan and assembling more picks wouldnt hurt us at all in all honesty. in round 2 we could get a good corner or a quarterback or whatever happens more picks is never a bad thing to happen and if we acquire Kerrigan thats perfectly fine as far as 3-4 OLB is concerned.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Otogwe has been released...

Let the board explosion commence!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love goldson but if the money is right, id take atogwe. For FS and Mays could finally play the SS he can be with a very good consistent FS as opposed to a good FS.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txparkes49x View Post
I feel like thats the best possible situation. Honestly I love Kerrigan and assembling more picks wouldnt hurt us at all in all honesty. in round 2 we could get a good corner or a quarterback or whatever happens more picks is never a bad thing to happen and if we acquire Kerrigan thats perfectly fine as far as 3-4 OLB is concerned.
That's my thinking as well. I really like Aldon Smith and Houston too. Tbh, i like those 3 more than Miller. Just don't trust his game will translate as a pass rusher. And Quinn's just risky cause of the year off. Should be interesting to see all these guys at the combine though. We really need to come out of the 1st with a stud pass rusher imo. Its our biggest weakness not named QB.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

Quote:
That's my thinking as well. I really like Aldon Smith and Houston too. Tbh, i like those 3 more than Miller. Just don't trust his game will translate as a pass rusher. And Quinn's just risky cause of the year off. Should be interesting to see all these guys at the combine though. We really need to come out of the 1st with a stud pass rusher imo. Its our biggest weakness not named QB.
Well Miller I like but if he is gone id trade down for another pass rusher. Quinn i like but the year off worries me. but in a way its like dont ya think he would come out on fire since he hasnt played a real season in a long time. Sorta like a explosion of waiting patiencely? i mean idk the odds of it but thats my counterpoint to the year off. i just want pass rush.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
So Otogwe has been released...

Let the board explosion commence!
Personally, I would have no problem signing Atogwe to a two year $10m deal because he's a playmaker and thats what we need in the secondary. He'll be an upgrade over Goldson and if Goldson is looking for $5m+ a year, I let him walk as an UFA. If he returns as an RFA due to the next CBA, then, I would probably tender him at a third round level. Either way, I still sign Atogwe because he would easily be the best safety we have on our roster and worse case scenario, we have Atogwe, Goldson, Mays, Smith and Taylor for 2011 which would be great depth.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Here's a list I found of all the scheduled UFA's for 2011 on a position by position basis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...?module=HP_cp2
Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 AM    (permalink
MaybeDavis
Rookie

MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.MaybeDavis could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Aldon Smith is a freaking baller. No one should be disappointed if we traded back and got him.
Doesnt mean Aldon, meant Jimmy.. ;-)

Trade back and got Kerrigan or Aldon Smith would be ok for me.
MaybeDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Personally, I would have no problem signing Atogwe to a two year $10m deal because he's a playmaker and thats what we need in the secondary. He'll be an upgrade over Goldson and if Goldson is looking for $5m+ a year, I let him walk as an UFA. If he returns as an RFA due to the next CBA, then, I would probably tender him at a third round level. Either way, I still sign Atogwe because he would easily be the best safety we have on our roster and worse case scenario, we have Atogwe, Goldson, Mays, Smith and Taylor for 2011 which would be great depth.
Yes, this makes sense Dan. A realistic scenario if the Niners don't see a long-term future with Goldson. Wouldn't hurt to have safety depth. CB depth would be even better. I'm thinking that Atogwe will command more than a 2 year deal. The Niners might have to 3 or 4 years to get a deal done.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Yes, this makes sense Dan. A realistic scenario if the Niners don't see a long-term future with Goldson. Wouldn't hurt to have safety depth. CB depth would be even better. I'm thinking that Atogwe will command more than a 2 year deal. The Niners might have to 3 or 4 years to get a deal done.
Atogwe has forced 44 turnovers in the last five seasons which is amazing and something we definitely need in the secondary. If SF needs to make the deal longer than so be it but he could always be signed to a phony long term deal like the one he signed with STL last June. Sad part is that Atogwe is still interested in re-signing with STL which is stupid in my opinion. Team released him twice and since he's going to be 30 in a few months, this is the last time that he'll get a chance to get a big deal. I think that STL is going to screw him again so if im Baalke, I go after Atogwe now.

And I agree with you about CB depth which is why I would sign Marshall as an UFA, keep Spencer and draft Peterson/Prince at 7. Add Brown, Adams and Brock and I would say that we have the best depth we've had in years at CB.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Atogwe has forced 44 turnovers in the last five seasons which is amazing and something we definitely need in the secondary.
Who cares about what he did that far back? He's not in his mid-20s any more.

Quote:
If SF needs to make the deal longer than so be it but he could always be signed to a phony long term deal like the one he signed with STL last June. Sad part is that Atogwe is still interested in re-signing with STL which is stupid in my opinion.
Maybe he likes living where he's been for so long?

Quote:
Team released him twice and since he's going to be 30 in a few months, this is the last time that he'll get a chance to get a big deal. I think that STL is going to screw him again so if im Baalke, I go after Atogwe now.
That's all speculation; surely he understands that the NFL is a business and his being released is a product of the system, as well as the current CBA situation.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txparkes49x View Post
I love goldson but if the money is right, id take atogwe. For FS and Mays could finally play the SS he can be with a very good consistent FS as opposed to a good FS.
Doubt Mays will start though, Reggie is better.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

updated mock:

1. patrick robinson - cb

2. sam acho - olb/de

3. ryan mallet - qb

4. jeron wilson - s

4. derrick locke - rb

5. demarcus van dyke - cb

6. jake kirkpatrick - c

6. owen marecic - fb

7. kenrick ellis - dt

7. jeff mahel - wr
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote