Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Arsenal
Rookie

Arsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Manny Lawson is a solid player but he's a lot better suited for the 4-3. He's going to make a 4-3 defense like the Giants or Eagles very happy I'd say, so good for him if we let him go. I understand since he doesn't seem to fit Fangio's system. No use throwing big money at a player that doesn't fit. Still sucks since we are bad at the position and only makes it worse.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I think Dashon Goldson will definitely be back. I think Nate Clements will be back after a renegotiation and I don't really see why they can't get something worked out with Aubrayo Franklin if they want him back. Franklin's just worrisome because he's still never really played that great when he's not in a contract year. I love Takeo Spikes but Navarro Bowman was just drafted last year as a replacement and I think he's at least capable if Takeo wants to go. And Lawson is good but doesn't fit Fangio's profile of an outside linebacker, so it's going to be wasted money if he's just a square peg in a round hole.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of work to do but I don't think it's a doomsday scenario.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lawson has been a dissapointment here. Maybe he'll suit the 4-3, but it's clear that he's terrible in the 3-4. Good bye. I will not miss you Manny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Fangio hasnt been impressed with Lawson??? Hmmmm, I wonder if he's been impressed with Harlason or Brooks??? If so, our defense is in trouble.

Personally, i would re-sign Lawson as he's easily better than Haralson and Brooks. He just needs a pure pass rusher opposite him.

It's looking like our defense is going to be crap in 2011. Lawson, Franklin, Goldson and Spikes all appear to be on the way out with Clements 50/50.
Losing Goldson, Clements, and Lawson might be a good thing.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 02-24-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All we need to do is hit on a pass-rusher in the draft, and all problems will be solved. If only it were easy to find the Clay Matthews' in the draft...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
maybe so, he saw limited playing tie as a rookie b/c of coverage problems & adapting to the pro game with its speed, complexity of defense, etc.

He better Get It as a 2nd yr. guy or they will start using that b-word (bust) about him. I still have hope for him as their SS of the future though
Mays is a stiff, get used to it. Terrible pick.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lawson never fit the 3-4, Haralson is worse. Looking forward to the new staff cleaning out this garbage. If Brooks can learn the system, I think he can be productive, the athleticism is all there. Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Aldon Smith would all be great.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Lawson is not re-signed, that moves OLB to the top of the list for the 7th pick, where Miller and Quinn will be the targets. There is some decent depth at CB and QB that can be found in the 2nd (and possibly 3rd) rounds.

I still think Lawson is a unique athlete that would do well as an all-around OLB, opposite a dominant pass rusher.

We have to trust that the Niner's coaches (who have coaching experience, access to practice & game tape, the players, etc.) will make the right call on personnel for both the short and long term.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, $14m is high but if they sign him to a long term deal and give him at least $10m guaranteed, I would much rather see them franchise him for one more season and then let him go in 2012 and hope that we have his replacement by then. Who our NT will be in 2011 and beyond is just one reason why I was hoping they were going to go back to the 4-3. Oh well.
I am with you as well on this, not the 4-3 part. This team has been looking for a NT for years and they finally have a proven one and are giving him the chance to walk away. I would have franchised him just to cover our asses. Elite NT are just as hard to find as Elite QBs and pass rushers so the price is worth it. I could see maybe with FA happening late it would force Franklin to take a loaded one year deal just so he can hit the market again next season but I wouldn't take that risk.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

What players are on y'all short list for free agency?

Lets be realistic about this as well, I highly doubt be get Nnamdi!

Here is my top 10:

NT Paul Soliai
OLB Mathias Kiwanuka
S George Wilson
QB Matt Hasselbeck
OLB Kamerion Wimbley
S O.J. Atogwe
WR Malcolm Floyd
QB Seneca Wallace
NT Pat Williams
WR Mark Clayton

I am not a huge fan of FA, but there are some players I like this year. I look for deals though, players who are getting away because their team has depth at their position. I also don't think the Niners are too many pieces away from a playoff team. I would rather fill most holes in the draft.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post

Here is my top 10:

NT Paul Soliai
OLB Mathias Kiwanuka
S George Wilson
QB Matt Hasselbeck
OLB Kamerion Wimbley
S O.J. Atogwe

WR Malcolm Floyd
QB Seneca Wallace
NT Pat Williams
WR Mark Clayton

I am not a huge fan of FA, but there are some players I like this year. I look for deals though, players who are getting away because their team has depth at their position. I also don't think the Niners are too many pieces away from a playoff team. I would rather fill most holes in the draft.
I bolded the 3 that I think are worth looking at the most, but it's all circumstantial with the labor situation. I have a feeling that FA is going to likely suck or be all but eliminated this offseason, with teams plugging holes in training camp.

Mark Clayton has the warning label "older Brandon Jones experiment gone bad" written all over him. I'd rather they make sure that Morgan stays on the team.

They may have some chance at Nnamdi, allowing them to cut Clements or offer him a very reduced salary. CB is definitely a big position of need for the Niners.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

49ers Bleacher Report gave us :

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Jake Locker
3. Dontay Moch
4a. Ronald Johnson
4b. Sione Fua
5. Zach Hurd
6a. Noel Devine
6b. Wayne Daniels
7a. Alex Green
7b. Buster Skrine

I thought this was a really good mock draft for us, damn near perfect imo. i wanted your guys opinions on it.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txparkes49x View Post
49ers Bleacher Report gave us :

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Jake Locker
3. Dontay Moch
4a. Ronald Johnson
4b. Sione Fua
5. Zach Hurd
6a. Noel Devine
6b. Wayne Daniels
7a. Alex Green
7b. Buster Skrine

I thought this was a really good mock draft for us, damn near perfect imo. i wanted your guys opinions on it.
I like it aside from Locker.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What Harbaugh thinks of Carr

Quote:
Harbaugh's scouting-combine experience promises to be vastly different than his 2002 experience with the Raiders when he was an offensive quality control coach. Back then, his job involved a lot of grunt work and a lot of computer input. He also was asked to evaluate the quarterbacks.
I asked Harbaugh about his evaluation of David Carr, the No. 1 overall pick that year. His response was preceded by a long pause ... "What my personal evaluation was of him? Yeah, I mean, it was good. Good player coming out of Fresno State. It was good."

According to a source, Harbaugh rated Carr as a sixth-round pick.

This just makes me trust his opinion even more.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
What Harbaugh thinks of Carr

This just makes me trust his opinion even more.
I want to know what he would have had Alex rated as in 2005.

He seems to like him a lot now, but I can't tell if it's as he really sees something, or he just looks at the alternative QB options and the pending issues with the CBA.

Maybe Habaugh will find a guy or two he likes this weekend at the Combine to target in the middle rounds.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
If we let go Goldson and negoiate Clements down or cut him. That could help open up for Atogwe, Mays/R. Smith could play SS, Clements and Peterson would be a solid secondary imo.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eh, if Harbaugh wants Locker, then I'll trust his opinion.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Agreed, in harbaugh we trust.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post

Here is my top 10:

NT Paul Soliai
OLB Mathias Kiwanuka
S George Wilson
QB Matt Hasselbeck
OLB Kamerion Wimbley
S O.J. Atogwe
WR Malcolm Floyd
QB Seneca Wallace
NT Pat Williams
WR Mark Clayton

Wimbley and Soliai got tagged today. That sucks. I like Kiwanuka and Atogwe from that list. I think we should go balls out for Nnamdi and cut Clements and use his salary + plus whatever it takes to get Nnamdi to cross the Bay. A shutdown corner will improve the defense ten fold.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Fangio hasnt been impressed with Lawson??? Hmmmm, I wonder if he's been impressed with Harlason or Brooks??? If so, our defense is in trouble.
AFAIK, Fangio has mentioned Brooks once in his first interview.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He won't want Locker though, so that's the end of that.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
AFAIK, Fangio has mentioned Brooks once in his first interview.
So Brooks could be a starter next year, even if Lawson stays or goes?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looks like Manny Lawson is on the way out.

Quote:
Fangio believes in a 3-4 defense, with outside linebackers as primary pass rushers and frequent blitzes. He has apparently not been impressed by the play of Manny Lawson, now a free agent, so it’s unlikely the 49ers will try to persuade Lawson to return.
Affordability will be the best reason to retain him, like backing off on the big raise he thinks he needs & deserves. If he's cheaper to keep than a younger, quicker rookie mid-rd. pass rusher, then yeah he stays, but it's unlikely.

New coaches always seem to want to make their mark on their new team by putting Their Guys in starting jobs.

Looks like that 1st pick will go defense, likely CB, & that leaves the cetner & a guard to replace Chilo Rachal as open issues. I was thinking about the many OL issues with the 9ers & it occurred to me that the best later than the 1st rd. solution is at OG unless O'Dowd & Wisniewski are both gone as they look to be by the 2nd-3rd rds. James Carpenter, the Bama star of the Sr. Bowl practice wk? He can play tackle too but is projected in the NFL as a guard. IDK what Hudson from FSU measured at the Combine, but he's listed as only 282 & that's too small in today's NFL, Claiborne comes from the BC program famous for producing interior o-linemen, he's 6-3, 325..... dumping Rachal & replacing him on this young OL is of paramount importance, he can't be forgotten in SF soon enough.

Last edited by LizardState : 02-26-2011 at 09:09 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know we are all thinking CB with our first pick in April.But I'm wondering will Locker clime high enough this weekend to the number one QB over newton and Gabbert?I mean hes got just about everything going for him right now.I watched the short interview they did on Total access this moring and hes got a HIGH football IQ.He mentioned that his accuracy could be fixed with repetition and his footwork as well.We could always go round two for a descent CB.I'm just saying.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He won't want Locker though, so that's the end of that.
Pretty much, nothing about Locker screams 'accurate'.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The one thing I never like when there's a new defensive coordinator is that instead of using the base and taking advantage of the players we have, the defensive coordinator always does the opposite just to install their own system. I personally hate that and have never been a fan of it.

Think about it, if we would have switched back to the 4-3, we could have re-signed Franklin at a cheaper rate since his value would have decreased plus Lawson who like most say would be better in a 4-3 defense. Sopoaga would move back inside to DT and when you think about it, the only spot that we would have to fill would be DE opposite Smith.

Instead, we could use an upgrade at DE opposite Smith, a replacement for Franklin, Lawson, Spikes and Goldson plus an upgrade at CB.

To me, it would have been a smarter move to switch back to the 4-3 and even more so now if we lose Franklin.

As for Asomugha, he's the best cover corner in the league but he'll be 30 in a few months and I wouldnt even go after him. I would much rather go after Richard Marshall and hope we can get Patrick Peterson in the Draft. Basically, I rather see us rebuild the position with a young talented core. After signing Marshall, I would release Clements but keep Spencer as the nickelback.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The one thing I never like when there's a new defensive coordinator is that instead of using the base and taking advantage of the players we have, the defensive coordinator always does the opposite just to install their own system. I personally hate that and have never been a fan of it.

Think about it, if we would have switched back to the 4-3, we could have re-signed Franklin at a cheaper rate since his value would have decreased plus Lawson who like most say would be better in a 4-3 defense. Sopoaga would move back inside to DT and when you think about it, the only spot that we would have to fill would be DE opposite Smith.

Instead, we could use an upgrade at DE opposite Smith, a replacement for Franklin, Lawson, Spikes and Goldson plus an upgrade at CB.

To me, it would have been a smarter move to switch back to the 4-3 and even more so now if we lose Franklin.

As for Asomugha, he's the best cover corner in the league but he'll be 30 in a few months and I wouldnt even go after him. I would much rather go after Richard Marshall and hope we can get Patrick Peterson in the Draft. Basically, I rather see us rebuild the position with a young talented core. After signing Marshall, I would release Clements but keep Spencer as the nickelback.
You hate guys installing their own system, yet want a DC to come in and change everything?

Spikes is already being phased out, regardless if we stay in the thirty or not - Bowman was drafted for a reason.

Making a decision on Goldson is important regardless if we stay in the thirty.

Upgrade at Corner, important regardless.

Resigning/replacing Franklin, important regardless.

You make it seem as if all of these are problems because Fangio is STICKING with the odd front - he's not even reinventing the wheel here.

Yes, losing Franklin would hurt us - but if we lost him playing in the 43, we'd have Sop and Ricky-Jean - not as if we'd be world beaters up front, probably just as bad if not worse against the run than we'd be in the 34 without Franklin. Not to mention we'd be sacrificing team speed by putting one of those interior lineman on the field instead of the fourth linebacker, Bowman.

You cant just plug big bodies at DT and say, problem solved, the 43 is the way to go.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote