Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-15-2011, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
I think your reasoning is sound - there's a good chance there will be a run on quarterbacks and trading up to secure one of them is a real possibility.

However, if I'm going to be trading up, it's not going to b for Kaepernick. I would trade up for Ponder, but let the rest go. As you said, Dalton will still be around and Stanzi's name has gone by the wayside in draft talks but he's cut from the same cloth as these second tier guys.

If there is a ridiculous run on quarterbacks and Ponder looks to be extremely difficult to get - then I would stick to the board. I know we need a QB -but we also need a CB and a pass rusher, and if 5 guys from a position outside of those two needs go, then that means more will be available for us to take.
His reasoning is indeed sound. It's a realistic scenario that there could be a QB run in the early 2nd, at the beginning of Day 2.

I would agree that if they are trading up, they should target Ponder and not Kaepernick. I believe that Dalton will be there when they pick in Round 2, but if they needed to move up a few picks to get him, I'd be fine with that, as they can't afford to not get at least one decent QB in the Draft.

I personally think that Dalton is a much better fit with Harbaugh's system than Kaepernick would be.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see Dalton being the choice; He can make the throws, was a winner with 4 years of starting experience, and gives off a vibe that people like in QBs. More importantly, who would know what it takes to be an NFL QB than the coach who was one for 15 years?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-will-hav.html

"The 49ers are sending a notable contingent to Reno on Friday for a private workout with Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick, according to a source with knowledge of the event. Head coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke are expected to be on hand."

Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dam it to hell!!I still like the CK guy but really?Are we really going to look at another project or do we think this guy can come in and start day one?The kid does have good mobility and a good arm.Maybe if we nap him in the third round.But on a side note,I think this is just the begging of Coach Harbaugh in search for his new QB to groom into our offense.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
dam it to hell!!I still like the CK guy but really?Are we really going to look at another project or do we think this guy can come in and start day one?The kid does have good mobility and a good arm.Maybe if we nap him in the third round.But on a side note,I think this is just the begging of Coach Harbaugh in search for his new QB to groom into our offense.
If CK is drafted by another team then cut several years later without playing any games, getting a feel for what he can do in drills is a lot better.

Or it could be a red herring. Do other teams think that the Niners will draft CK? Do they have him rated highly? Is he worth trading up for? Mind games are probably as much of the NFL Draft as scouting players you think are worthy of joining the team.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What other projects have we looked at?
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
What other projects have we looked at?
Nate Davis, maybe?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Nate Davis, maybe?
Yeah maybe

Or maybe anyone not named Jake Locker... he's day one material
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was referring projects from A.Smith out a spread system.Not this year guys.I still we should try to move up in round two and draft Mallet if he falls that far.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was referring projects from A.Smith out a spread system.Not this year guys.I still we should try to move up in round two and draft Mallet if he falls that far.
Mallet might be effective for an NFL team somewhere, but he seems like the EXACT opposite of what Harbaugh is looking for with his system.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
His reasoning is indeed sound. It's a realistic scenario that there could be a QB run in the early 2nd, at the beginning of Day 2.

I would agree that if they are trading up, they should target Ponder and not Kaepernick. I believe that Dalton will be there when they pick in Round 2, but if they needed to move up a few picks to get him, I'd be fine with that, as they can't afford to not get at least one decent QB in the Draft.

I personally think that Dalton is a much better fit with Harbaugh's system than Kaepernick would be.
My main concern with Ponder is his medical history. If he checks out fine with SF's staff then I would be cool with the pick. But not knowing anything on his current medical situation. My ranking of the QBs in round 2 are:
1. Kaepernick
2. Dalton
3. Ponder

Another problem with Ponder is I do not think the 49ers will be able to move up high enough to get him. I think he goes to either Seattle or the Jaguars move up ahead of us.

I realize a lot of people are questioning the fit of Kaepernick into Harbaugh's system but I don't think a lot of people would have expected Josh Johnson to be a fit into his system either. Kaepernick hits on a lot of the traits that Harbaugh is looking for outstanding leader, athletic on rollouts, and does a great job selling the play-action fake. Just love the upside of Kaepernick and him working with a guru like Harbaugh.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Mallet might be effective for an NFL team somewhere, but he seems like the EXACT opposite of what Harbaugh is looking for with his system.
The guy who runs thebiglead.com blog had Mallet going to SF at #7. I couldn't believe it. I sent him a tweet saying no way they take Mallet over Peterson and he said they would be a playoff team with a QB, lol, I just SMH when I read that. Bad logic on his part.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the Peterson pick from Barrows but no way in hell do I trade back into the first round for Kaepernick or any QB for that matter. We would have to give up our 2nd and 3rd round draft picks to move up that many spots.

No way in hell do I do that. Personally, right now with this lockout garbage going on, I wouldnt even bother with any potential franchise QB in the draft, via trade or FA. I would re-sign Smith for a year once FA's are finally able to be signed and then just find some crappy third stringer because the longer this lockout goes, the harder its going to be for Harbaugh and both of his coordinators to install the schemes they are going to run. Hiring a new HC this year with the lockout going on is just screwing us over for 2011.

If there wasnt a damn lockout, we would be okay but since thats not the case and this crap looks like it will be going on for a while, I say screw 2011 and focus on 2012 because no point in trading up to acquire a QB that wont be able to learn the system because of the lockout.

Next year, with or without Luck being in the Draft, there would still be better UFA's available including Orton, Flynn, Kolb, etc. and the longer the lockout goes, the less likely the chances are that any of those QB's get traded because no team is going to give up draft picks, players, etc. to acquire a QB that will have little to no time to learn the scheme.

Thats what I would do. Hopefully get Peterson or Prince at 7. A pass rushing OLB in the 2nd, a DE in the 3rd, a NT and FB in the 4th, another CB in the 5th and then OL rest of the way. Probably just me but I think that would be smarter than drafting a QB because without a regular off-season, he's not going to play anyway and even if he does, could turn out like Smith in 2005 so whats the point? Wait until the 2012 off-season for a QB while using this years draft to solve other positions and since we could be losing Franklin, Spikes as well as Lawson and Goldson plus possibly Clements, mine as well get their replacements now instead of later.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
My main concern with Ponder is his medical history. If he checks out fine with SF's staff then I would be cool with the pick.
He missed two games during the regular season last year and the bowl game, as well as the last four games of '09.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Agreed - he brings a lot to the table, but didn't Harbaugh say athleticism was pretty high up on characteristics of a QB?

I've seen left tackles with more athleticism than Mallet.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He missed two games during the regular season last year and the bowl game, as well as the last four games of '09.
Credit to him he is a tough guy. You would expect those numbers to be higher with all the injuries. He is like a walking "Operation" board. But I am concerned about how dinged up he got during his junior and senior seasons.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Credit to him he is a tough guy. You would expect those numbers to be higher with all the injuries. He is like a walking "Operation" board. But I am concerned about how dinged up he got during his junior and senior seasons.
If I am not mistaken, to his credit, he's dealt with a pretty young/less than talented O-line.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Matt Maiocco's guess on who will be the 49ers week 1 QB at this point:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/maiocco_chat
Quote:
Matt give your prediction best as you can as the week 1 starting quaterback ???

MM: Kolb, Hasselbeck or Bulger.
Bulger to SF is starting to gain traction. Dan Pompei also wrote that to expect John Harbaugh to give a nice endorsement to his brother about Bulger. If I had to pick between Hasselbeck or Bulger I would prefer to go with Hasselbeck due to his experience in the WCO.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

"Matt Malaspina, the 49ers national scout, attended the FSU pro day."

they sent the #1 scout to that pro day? hmm, doing their homework, I see.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
"Matt Malaspina, the 49ers national scout, attended the FSU pro day."

they sent the #1 scout to that pro day? hmm, doing their homework, I see.
From Bee-rows chat:
Quote:
[Comment From JRJR: ]
should we make anything out of harbaugh not attending ponder's pro day?

Wednesday March 16, 2011 11:04 JR
11:07 MattB_49: No, at least not yet. I kinda thought that Harbaugh would be there because he attended Dalton's workout at TCU. However, what I don't know yet is whether the 49ers have a private workout scheduled with Ponder. My spies in Tallahassee told me that the 49ers scouts have been all over Ponder all season and that Baalke attended one of his games. So it's not as if they haven't been following him to this point. My guess is that he is very high on their radar and that they are contemplating whether he is worth a trade-up into the first round ...
Brent was that you in the Barrows chat who asked the Von Miller question?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Brent was that you in the Barrows chat who asked the Von Miller question?
Yes, and I made that first comment, too. Little ashamed of my typo, but I see I'm not the only one making them.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

Man hell with Burlger or even Old crumbly hasselback.Those two QB 's are done for maybe at a back up.Nor do I want Kolb either.Philly wants way to dam much for him.I still like at second for Ponder or CK depending on his pro day,not my first choice tho.However, if Mallet fell to us in round 2 still couldn't pass on him.Plus if our o line finally comes together he could turn out well.Other then those 3 then I would wait for round 3 in Dalton or Stanzi.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Harbaugh didn't go to Ponder's pro day because he pretty much knows what he's getting in terms of a QB who has played in a pro-style/WC offense. Spread QBs on the other hand, may take more time to evaluate in order to determine whether they can translate across as easily.

@ 49erNation85
Getting Bulger or Hasselbeck gives time to any rookie QBs that the team drafts. It's like the same idea of re-signing Smith for a season. Give the rookie some time to absorb the playbook and understand pass protection/reading coverage before throwing him into the fire.
In a sense, very similar to the Rodgers vs Smith developmental curve. One sat behind a vet for a while, and the other was tossed into the fire.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...rm-at-pro-day/
"According to tweets from sources on the ground, Jim Harbaugh is in attendance at Blaine Gabbert’s pro day."

I'm thinking that, considering he went to Dalton's proday, he wants to see the spread guys first-hand.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...rm-at-pro-day/
"According to tweets from sources on the ground, Jim Harbaugh is in attendance at Blaine Gabbert’s pro day."

I'm thinking that, considering he went to Dalton's proday, he wants to see the spread guys first-hand.
I get the feeling that this Blaine Gabbert might be another Alex Smith.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote