Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I get the feeling that this Blaine Gabbert might be another Alex Smith.
well he does collapse when under pressure.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam Inman in Saturday's MercNews sports on the search for the next 9ers QB:

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_...nclick_check=1

not a literary masterwork by any stretch, but a good candidates list both rookie & veteran.

Essentially it's interesting to note that Baalke attended Newton's Auburn workout & Harbaugh was in Ft. Worth for Dalton's pro day. Kaepernick had a pvt. workout for the team at the U. of Nevada - Reno.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lizard , nice find there!It sucks that they think Gabbert might be a good fit!Darn that news kills me.But other then that It sounds like we're drafting some where between round two and three for a QB depending who is there at our picks.I could see either Ponder,Dalton or Stanzi still.Only bad thing about Stanzi is he is a little older then youngsters. 40 or so days away guys!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One longtime scout projects the top four draftable quarterbacks as Newton, Gabbert, TCU's Andy Dalton and Florida State's Christian Ponder. Considering the 49ers' desperate straits, it might be wise to use the seventh overall pick on any of those four.

Hmmmm, use the 7th overall draft pick on any of these four???

NO ******* WAY!!!!!

If Baalke/Harbaugh drafts ANY QB at 7 with Peterson, Prince, Miller and Green available, im going to be one pissed off 49ers fan (as usual). If all four are gone, I try to trade down and acquire some extra draft picks but im pretty sure that at least one of the four will be on the board at 7, if not at least two or more.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

First Mock of the year, tell me what ya think!

PS I've heard we will get a third 7th as a comp pick, so I included it!

1. Patrick Peterson, LSU, CB
2. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada, QB
3. Chris Carter, Fresno St., OLB
4. Kendrick Ellis, Hampton, NT
4. Deunta Williams, UNC, FS
5. Dwayne Harris, ECU, WR
6. Richard Sherman, Stanford, CB
6. Derek Hall, Stanford, OT
7. Anthony Sherman, UConn., FB
7. Nic Grigsby, Arizona, RB
7. Mario Addison, Troy, OLB
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
First Mock of the year, tell me what ya think!

PS I've heard we will get a third 7th as a comp pick, so I included it!

1. Patrick Peterson, LSU, CB
2. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada, QB
3. Chris Carter, Fresno St., OLB
4. Kendrick Ellis, Hampton, NT
4. Deunta Williams, UNC, FS
5. Dwayne Harris, ECU, WR
6. Richard Sherman, Stanford, CB
6. Derek Hall, Stanford, OT
7. Anthony Sherman, UConn., FB
7. Nic Grigsby, Arizona, RB
7. Mario Addison, Troy, OLB
Other then CK is round two I dunno, I would rather have Ponder who seem to be getting more buzz for a WCO style then any one else or Dalton in the third.Either way I'll be fine as long as out QB is not Gabbert or Newton.All the other picks are nice specially PP going to be a blessingif we land him.The Safety pick I like as well, I wouldn't mind Black instead.Overall nice job. Two OLB tho ?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
One longtime scout projects the top four draftable quarterbacks as Newton, Gabbert, TCU's Andy Dalton and Florida State's Christian Ponder. Considering the 49ers' desperate straits, it might be wise to use the seventh overall pick on any of those four.

Hmmmm, use the 7th overall draft pick on any of these four???

NO ******* WAY!!!!!

If Baalke/Harbaugh drafts ANY QB at 7 with Peterson, Prince, Miller and Green available, im going to be one pissed off 49ers fan (as usual). If all four are gone, I try to trade down and acquire some extra draft picks but im pretty sure that at least one of the four will be on the board at 7, if not at least two or more.
A.J. Green over Gabbert or Newton Dan?!?! Really, SMH. I think the more ludicrous part of Cam Inman's article is that advocates taking Ponder or Dalton at pick 7. Double SMH.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

Sorry WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? But I'm with Dan on this one here.If Green is the only on their at number 7 besides our other guys then we go DE unless Quinn is gone too.We still need a big guy at WR.Crabtree can't do it by him self ,think of it Green could work in the one spot and Crabs could turn into a great slot guy.With Green in their we could easily drop balls into or any where near and bam TD 95% of the time.Depending on how far we throw it ha.I still wouldn't take any QB at 7!!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:42 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Other then CK is round two I dunno, I would rather have Ponder who seem to be getting more buzz for a WCO style then any one else or Dalton in the third.Either way I'll be fine as long as out QB is not Gabbert or Newton.All the other picks are nice specially PP going to be a blessingif we land him.The Safety pick I like as well, I wouldn't mind Black instead.Overall nice job. Two OLB tho ?
I'm not willing to assume Ponder will be there at 45. This is a weak QB classes and he has had the best offseason by far. Kaepernick has huge upside. He is somewhat accurate, and is just as explosive as Newton. Give him a year or two to develop and he could be the franchise QB we need. I'm willing to roll the dice. I would rather have him than Dalton.

I see nothing wrong with drafting two OLB's, not like we have done a great job of finding passrushers. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted 3 passrushers lol.

I'm looking at the Williams pick like O'Brien Schoffield last year. He could be a great talent that is dropping cause of a late injury. I'm drafting the player and not the position with him. Black could be had MUCH later I think.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only issue I have with Kaepernick is his windup in a short offense game, especially if 3 step drops become a major part of the offensive scheme. If he can shorten his release, I'd be happy with him.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
The only issue I have with Kaepernick is his windup in a short offense game, especially if 3 step drops become a major part of the offensive scheme. If he can shorten his release, I'd be happy with him.
I hear ya, he isn't the perfect prospect. I think we need to realize we aren't in a good spot to find that "QB of the future" though.

Gabbert and Newton might be gone by the time we select, and are just as risky, scheme and accuracy.

Ponder, Mallett and Locker should be gone by 45, and also have their own flaws, durability and accuracy.

I expect no matter who we select at QB this year, there will be things they need to work on.

Overall though, I think Kaepernick brings the most bang for his buck, in the context of where we would select him and his upside vs. risk.

Of course, if Ponder is "the guy," I have no issue with them trading up for him. I just hate mocking trades.

Last edited by thediggler3030 : 03-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

What on the football field does Mallet really have besides mobliity?I would still take him over all the other QB in round two over others IMO.If he fail to us or trade up to begging like the NE spot or Buffalo.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

Quote:
What on the football field does Mallet really have besides mobliity?I would still take him over all the other QB in round two over others IMO.If he fail to us or trade up to begging like the NE spot or Buffalo.
Are you trying to say Mallett lacks mobility?

I wouldn't be disappointed with him, but its not just his mobility, its more that he falls apart when facing a passrush. There is a difference between lacking mobility and lacking pocket presence and poise when facing a stiff passrush.

I would rather have Kaepernick than Mallett.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
I would rather have Kaepernick than Mallett.
Agreed, if Harbaugh had a private workout with CK and not Mallett. obviously theres a reason or something he knows we dont.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

OK I wasn't sure if it was pocket thing or mobility.But I think that would come in time too though in game experience or coaching etc.I think with the right staff Mallet could be the next Bleddsoe to our Montanan if we land him in round two.That is a big IF though to say the least possible though.The reason why I like Mallet is because of his drop back and ability to read defense and check downs already.He has that part of the game down already and arm strength is above average and so is accuracy.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
A.J. Green over Gabbert or Newton Dan?!?! Really, SMH. I think the more ludicrous part of Cam Inman's article is that advocates taking Ponder or Dalton at pick 7. Double SMH.
HELL YEAH!!! Newton seems like Vince Young part two who was Michael Vick part two. Well, Falcons version of Vick. Plus, I can see that guy and his father causing problems. I dont want that guy period.

Gabbert is better and prefer him over Newton but I still wouldnt draft him at 7. None of these QB's are worth the 7th overall draft pick and personally, the longer the "lockout" lasts, the more reasons there are NOT to draft or trade for a QB because that guy wont have enough time to learn the system and I dont want the guy to be thrown in like Alex was back in 2005. He was rushed into the starting lineup. Dont want that to happen again.

Green is a far superior talent and athlete than those two QB's and would be a steal with the 7th overall draft pick. Is Green a need? NO. Would Green be a luxury? YES. I would draft Green if Peterson and Prince are gone. If Miller is there at 7 with Green, I try to trade down for someone who wants Green (WSH maybe?) and still try to get Miller while gaining an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. If only Green is there at 7, I try to trade down in order to gain an extra 2nd or 3rd depending on the team that wants to move up to draft him but in no way, shape or form would I just give him away.

And in all honestly, I would have no problem drafting Green if the other three are gone because Crabtree is more of a possession receiver and could use a player like Green to push him to work harder since he wouldnt automatically be the number one WR. Worse case scenario, draft Green and trade Crabtree in a year if he doesnt improve. Would most likely gain a late first rounder for him and including our own first rounder in 2012, we would be able to trade up for a QB if needed.

As for QB, im still hoping to acquire Flynn for a 3rd and Josh Johnson for a 5th. Worse case scenario, I re-sign Alex for a year, let him play the entire year (unless he gets injured), re-build other positions like NT, OLB, CB, FS and RG and wait for a franchise QB in 2012. If anything, 2012 could be better because guys like Flynn, Kolb, Orton and Johnson will all be UFA's if they dont get traded this off-season. And none of them will be franchised in 2012 so the only way they dont hit the market in a year is if they re-sign with their current team. I can guarantee that Orton and Kolb would be 100% gone in a year while Flynn and Johnson are 50/50 but them two depends on if they want to be a starter/compete to be a starter or if they're content with being a backup in GB and TB respectively.

Hiring a new HC, OC and DC in an off season that could be eliminated or more likely very short isnt going to help us whatsoever. Add in the fact that it seems like we could lose Baas, Franklin, Lawson, Spikes, Goldson and possibly Clements and we're an average team at best with or with out a "franchise" QB because that guy isnt going to have enough time to make an impact for us in 2011 anyway.

And NO, I wouldnt trade away anything more than a 3rd rounder for Flynn or a 5th for Johnson. It would be a take it or leave it deal. As for Kolb, he sucks and isnt worth a third in my opinion let alone two second rounder or God forbid, a first rounder. I have seen that guy play and seen his stats. He's the overrated QB of 2011. No thanks to Kolb who thinks that he's better than what he is - an average couldnt even beat out an ex-con concussion prone QB period. Anything higher than a 3rd for Kolb, I will run a muck. And in no way, shape or form would I trade away my 7th overall draft pick for any QB this year whatsoever especially when Peterson, Prince, Green and even Miller easily surpass any QB that we would acquire via trade in regards to skill, talent, potential and upside.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

Quote:
Sorry WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? But I'm with Dan on this one here.If Green is the only on their at number 7 besides our other guys then we go DE unless Quinn is gone too.We still need a big guy at WR.Crabtree can't do it by him self ,think of it Green could work in the one spot and Crabs could turn into a great slot guy.With Green in their we could easily drop balls into or any where near and bam TD 95% of the time.Depending on how far we throw it ha.I still wouldn't take any QB at 7!!
Quinn??? Hell no. Why anyone thinks he's worth a top ten draft pick after being out a year due to a suspension mind you and will be rusty, out of shape and condition especially with a short to limited to no off-season whatsoever is beyond me. We draft Quinn over Green, I will be pissed off.

Crabtree is definitely a starter but he's more of a possession receiver and doesnt have the work ethic thats required to be a number one receiver in SF. Rice had the best worth ethic of them all and love him or hate him, Owens was right behind him. If Crabtree cant follow them, he doesnt deserve to be the number one receiver plus Green would push him to work harder and with Morgan being an UFA in 2012, we could let him walk without having to worry about replacing him.

My top five for the draft are as follows -

1) CB Patrick Peterson
2) WR A.J. Green
3) CB Prince Amukamara
4) OLB Von Miller
5) QB Jake Locker

The first four are the ONLY players I would draft at 7. If all are gone, I try to trade down with a team who may want to jump in front of TEN if Dareus/Fairley fall to 7. Locker is the ONLY QB I would draft in the first round but even then, it would be after trading down at least twice to where he's drafted in the late teens at best.

I have Green second because I think he's the second best player in this damn draft but I would draft Prince over him because we need a CB more than we need a WR but if both CB's are gone, I would try to trade down with a team who could definitely use Green (WSH) but I wouldnt just give him away. I better be offered a damn good deal in return because if not, I draft Green myself and move on.

As for Miller, I think he'll go to ARZ but if he falls to us at 7 with Green there as well, I try to trade down with WSH because they need a WR badly and then draft Miller at 10. I wouldnt go past HOU though because if Miller drops to them and there's no Prince or PP, he'll most likely be their pick since they're going back to the 3-4 defense.

Of course, before the draft actually happens, im hoping that these morons get a deal done and there will at least be two weeks of free agency before the draft.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My top five for the draft are as follows -

1) CB Patrick Peterson
2) WR A.J. Green
3) CB Prince Amukamara
4) OLB Von Miller
5) QB Jake Locker

The first four are the ONLY players I would draft at 7.
You wouldnt take your 5th highest rated guy at 7? Then where are the two or more people you would select before him?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You wouldnt take your 5th highest rated guy at 7? Then where are the two or more people you would select before him?
He's the 5th player on my wants list but I still wouldnt draft him at 7 because I dont think any QB is worth the 7th overall draft pick. I would try to trade down because I know that I could most likely still get Locker in the teens or twenties while still getting extra draft picks.

As for the other two players I would maybe draft would be Bowers and Dareus but dont really care for either one to be honest with you.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's the 5th player on my wants list but I still wouldnt draft him at 7 because I dont think any QB is worth the 7th overall draft pick. I would try to trade down because I know that I could most likely still get Locker in the teens or twenties while still getting extra draft picks.

As for the other two players I would maybe draft would be Bowers and Dareus but dont really care for either one to be honest with you.
But...

What if Peterson, Amukamara, Miller, and Green are all gone by 7 - and nobody wants to trade (parting with picks without a CBA doesn't seem like a good idea right now)?

Bowers is likely just a 4-3 end, Dareus on the other hand would be an elite 3-4 lineman, so that one makes sense.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Teams don't trade down, teams trade up. If no team is willing to move up, what do you do? Take someone you don't rate as high? I just want to understand your logic on this, Dan.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
But...

What if Peterson, Amukamara, Miller, and Green are all gone by 7 - and nobody wants to trade (parting with picks without a CBA doesn't seem like a good idea right now)?

Bowers is likely just a 4-3 end, Dareus on the other hand would be an elite 3-4 lineman, so that one makes sense.
Honestly, have no idea. Would have to make a decision at that time. Of course, I dont think all four will be gone by 7. Prince is the best bet to drop to 7 with Miller second, Green third and Peterson fourth.

I think Dareus, Bowers and at least one QB will be gone in the first six draft picks which means one of the four will be available at seven.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Teams don't trade down, teams trade up. If no team is willing to move up, what do you do? Take someone you don't rate as high? I just want to understand your logic on this, Dan.
I think if Green is there at 7, a team like WSH would trade up to acquire him. Also, a team that could use a DT would want to trade up ahead of TEN since most expect them to draft a DT at 8.

If no team wants to trade up and Green is there, I draft him and move forward. If all four players are gone, like I posted above, im not sure. I wouldnt make a decision until that time and see who's already been drafted and who's still available.

The reason I wouldnt draft Locker at 7 is because I think the team could trade down once or twice, acquire extra draft picks and still draft Locker. And yeah, I know that a team would have to be willing to trade up and im sure that there would be a player available at 7 a team would want/need more than us.

Of course, I still think that at least one of the top four will be on the board at 7. Just have to wait and see.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
HELL YEAH!!! Newton seems like Vince Young part two who was Michael Vick part two. Well, Falcons version of Vick. Plus, I can see that guy and his father causing problems. I dont want that guy period.

Gabbert is better and prefer him over Newton but I still wouldnt draft him at 7. None of these QB's are worth the 7th overall draft pick and personally, the longer the "lockout" lasts, the more reasons there are NOT to draft or trade for a QB because that guy wont have enough time to learn the system and I dont want the guy to be thrown in like Alex was back in 2005. He was rushed into the starting lineup. Dont want that to happen again.
I disagree the talent level of the '05 team was the worse in the league and the record proved that. It was the worse situation that a long term project, like Alex, could have stepped into. If the 49ers drafted Gabbert or Newton they would be stepping in with a young offensive line, a TE who can post double digit touchdowns, former 1,000 yard running back, and an above average WR core. It is the perfect time to invest into a young signalcaller.

Quote:
And in all honestly, I would have no problem drafting Green if the other three are gone because Crabtree is more of a possession receiver and could use a player like Green to push him to work harder since he wouldnt automatically be the number one WR. Worse case scenario, draft Green and trade Crabtree in a year if he doesnt improve. Would most likely gain a late first rounder for him and including our own first rounder in 2012, we would be able to trade up for a QB if needed.
I was for Dez Bryant last season but that was only because SF had two first round picks and they were outside of the top 10 picks. I think Green is a damn good player but I would rather grab the best defensive player at that spot then load up at a spot that we are already set at.

Quote:
Hiring a new HC, OC and DC in an off season that could be eliminated or more likely very short isnt going to help us whatsoever. Add in the fact that it seems like we could lose Baas, Franklin, Lawson, Spikes, Goldson and possibly Clements and we're an average team at best with or with out a "franchise" QB because that guy isnt going to have enough time to make an impact for us in 2011 anyway.
I would give up a year to develop a franchise QB. That position is so important to how far a team goes and you have seen first hand what happens when it does not work out. I think the reward outweighs the risk and would rather risk a pick in round 1 then draft one later or even trade for one. That is why you see guys like Mike Lombardi and Dan Reeves talk about giving up so much for a QB. It is the hardest position to evalute and fill in the league.

Quote:
No thanks to Kolb who thinks that he's better than what he is - an average couldnt even beat out an ex-con concussion prone QB period. Anything higher than a 3rd for Kolb, I will run a muck. And in no way, shape or form would I trade away my 7th overall draft pick for any QB this year whatsoever especially when Peterson, Prince, Green and even Miller easily surpass any QB that we would acquire via trade in regards to skill, talent, potential and upside.
He couldn't beat out a guy who finished 2nd in MVP voting last season. I thought a Philly beat writer had a nice stat breakdown of Kevin Kolb:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/m...he-market.html

Quote:
However, when looking at Kolb's numbers, it's important to judge them fairly. There have been six games in the past two seasons where Kolb has had a week of practice to prepare as the starter. He did so against the Chiefs and Saints in 2009.

And he did so against Green Bay, the 49ers, the Falcons and the Titans last season. I'm not counting the Cowboys game when he was surrounded by backups.

In those games, he completed 64 percent of his passes for 1,552 yards, nine touchdowns and six interceptions for a QB rating of 89.76.

Kolb is 26, and it's reasonable to assume that he could be a very good starting quarterback in the next couple of years if he gets the right coaching and is put in the right system.
What I found appealing about Kolb is that he is a great fit for the 49ers system, high pedigree (former 2nd round pick), and has been surround by great offensive coaches. Judging by past cases such as Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Delhomme, and Matt Schaub this is a solid formula (IMO) for success.

I do agree with you on Matt Flynn. He does not hit on the same scale of Kolb in terms of arm strength but he hits on all the things I brought up above, aside from being a 7th round draft pick, and I love how accurate he is.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 03-21-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post

I do agree with you on Matt Flynn. He does not hit on the same scale of Kolb in terms of arm strength but he hits on all the things I brought up above, aside from being a 7th round draft pick, and I love how accurate he is.
Come on man. Matt Flynn? That guy looked like he really didn't know what he was doing when he started against New England. Looked very erratic. Not bad for a 7th round draft selection and he might be a good backup, but at this point he doesn't look like anything more. That Super Bowl team made him look greater than he actually is in my mind. Doesn't matter anyways. Mike McCarthy said the team has no interest in dealing him. So it's a moot point.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Come on man. Matt Flynn? That guy looked like he really didn't know what he was doing when he started against New England. Looked very erratic. Not bad for a 7th round draft selection and he might be a good backup, but at this point he doesn't look like anything more. That Super Bowl team made him look greater than he actually is in my mind. Doesn't matter anyways. Mike McCarthy said the team has no interest in dealing him. So it's a moot point.
I thought he played great against one of the best teams in the league.
24/37 (64%) 3 TDs 1 INT 251 Yards and 100.2
Here is the cut up of every pass from the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8F0cWvAfo

Like I said above not impressed with his arm strength but he is a QB that hits on everything Harbaugh looks for. Accurate, mobile, sells the play-action well, and off the chart intangibles.

Flynn also fits a lot of the criteria you look for in past back-ups that have gone onto have long term success in the league. Flynn has sat for a few years, fits the 49ers offense, and coached by a great staff. Not saying I would sell the farm on Flynn but if the other guys price themselves out of the 49ers range Flynn is not a bad fall back plan.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 03-21-2011 at 02:09 AM.