Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-17-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

true, but i dont think that you can go ahead and commit all that money to a player that will jump ahead of your 2nd rd pick last year on the charts. if we could have reggie smith at fs that would be something. i would rather commit the asomugha money to peppers or gross without a doubt.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
What is there to be excited about with Smith. He never even saw the field this season. Have you seen something that i haven't seen? Until he is playing, there is nothing to be excited about.
He played some at the end of the season. He didn't see the field because there is a logjam at cornerback. If I remember correctly, we have more on our roster than anyone else in the NFC West. Possibly even the rest of the NFC.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ya Smith did play some towards the end of the year and looked solid. I think he has the tools to be a very good nickleback. Not sure if he is a good enough tackler to move to FS.

As for Gross I read that the Redskins are going to offer him a huge (Jake Longish) contract. I think he would help but not at that price tag.
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:
What is there to be excited about with Smith. He never even saw the field this season. Have you seen something that i haven't seen? Until he is playing, there is nothing to be excited about.

Potential doesn't mean anything until it is fulfilled.
"Potential means you haven't done anything yet" Bill Parcells.

Peppers is nearly 290lbs. I know he's a tremendous athlete but does he think he's going to play OLB in a 3-4? He can't think he'll be better in a 3-4 as an end I can't see that? His numbers will certainly go down as a 3-4 end. So he must be thinking he'll play a Merriman/LT type role???

Merriman is about 270, Ware is 260ish, Peppers would LIKELY be the biggest
3-4 OLB ever.

Having said that, you have 20 mill cap space and Peppers is only 29 come tomorrow. He's got at least 4-5 stud like years in him.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

I think he can, and don't forget the taller the frame the more volitile weight can be. if i'm nolan in denver im begging for peppers, considering his versatility would help nolans whole hybrid idea a lot more than smith could
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:15 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Let me ask you guys this, lets say Carolina does slap him with the tag in an attempt to trade him. Do you trade the 10th pick for Peppers? Plus after you make the trade you have to give him Jared Allen money. Is this something you would want or not?
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would much rather go after Suggs if he hits UFA instead of Peppers because he's younger, can play both DE and OLB, would give us a legitimate pass rusher at either position and we wouldnt have to trade anything to acquire him.

I have no interest in Peppers whatsoever especially considering what his demands will be. One thing will be interesting though - to franchise Peppers, the Panthers will be required to have the $17m+ available in cap room before applying the franchise tag but here's the interesting part, what happens if CAR doesnt franchise tag him? Does he still get the money that he wants in FA when every team would be saying, "wow, they didnt even tag and try to trade him, they just let him leave for free".

Think about it. Sometimes, doing nothing says more than actually doing something.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
what happens if CAR doesnt franchise tag him? Does he still get the money that he wants in FA when every team would be saying, "wow, they didnt even tag and try to trade him, they just let him leave for free".

Think about it. Sometimes, doing nothing says more than actually doing something.
Not in this case. If Peppers is available in FA, then he'll be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. No question about it.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan
I would much rather go after Suggs if he hits UFA instead of Peppers because he's younger, can play both DE and OLB, would give us a legitimate pass rusher at either position and we wouldnt have to trade anything to acquire him.
Suggs is far too light to play 3-4 end. He'd do well with his hand up, but on the ground he'd get swallowed up by the opposing blockers.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:

I have no interest in Peppers whatsoever especially considering what his demands will be. One thing will be interesting though - to franchise Peppers, the Panthers will be required to have the $17m+ available in cap room before applying the franchise tag but here's the interesting part, what happens if CAR doesnt franchise tag him? Does he still get the money that he wants in FA when every team would be saying, "wow, they didnt even tag and try to trade him, they just let him leave for free".

They franchise him, it's two firsts I think. Pass on that.

If they don't, we should test the water. If he really wants to play 3-4 there are only 5-6 teams and a few of them are out due to salary restrictions.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:

Potential doesn't mean anything until it is fulfilled.
i feel the same way about another smith that plays qb
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont get the Suggs love. He had eights sacks this year. Parys Haralson had the same amount and he did not start every game, unlike Suggs. Also, he did not have as talented a surrounding cast as Suggs either.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

parys and suggs had the same number of sacks last year, and suggs played for a more talented lb team, but the ravens sent everyone. Suggs got a lower number of sacks because their D sends different people all the time. I like parys, but he is not the same talent as suggs. Parys had quite a few sacks get away from him, and as well as he played he does not possess the skill set that suggs does.
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I dont get the Suggs love. He had eights sacks this year. Parys Haralson had the same amount and he did not start every game, unlike Suggs. Also, he did not have as talented a surrounding cast as Suggs either.
I read the same piece this morning. :P

I totally agree. I've been behind Haralson getting a chance to prove himself. He's got 8 sacks on the season, that's not a bad effort. Certainly not bad enough to suggest that he's the issue with our D's pass rushing problems.

Further to that, I don't get all the love for an OLB with the first pick, I don't think it offers the best upgrade for our defence, or the best positional advantage.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not really a fan of bringing in Suggs or Peppers. Peppers will cost more than Clements. Reggie Smith did look very good in his limited action.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott Linehan has declined our offer to be OC:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...s-offer-1.html

(shocked smiley) That hurts. I hope they bring in Rob Chudzinski.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.
Default linehan denies offer

ok...so now what?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
ok...so now what?
49ers are down to two canidates:
-Colts receivers coach Clyde Christensen
-Former Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski

Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
49ers are down to two canidates:
-Colts receivers coach Clyde Christensen
-Former Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski
i hope not. i would not mind dennison or mike mccoy from carolina.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
i hope not. i would not mind dennison or mike mccoy from carolina.
Dennison's off the list, accepted a position under McDaniels.

To be honest, I haven't been that impressed with our shortlist...
Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Keep in mind that Linehan said he might regret that decision a week from now, so maybe we'll offer it to him again and he'll change his mind?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Not in this case. If Peppers is available in FA, then he'll be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. No question about it.
If Asomugha made it to FA you could say the same.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any other offensive coordinators that we could go after because Clyde Christensen and Rob Chudzinski dont impress me at all???

Ugh.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Let me ask you guys this, lets say Carolina does slap him with the tag in an attempt to trade him. Do you trade the 10th pick for Peppers? Plus after you make the trade you have to give him Jared Allen money. Is this something you would want or not?
No I would not give up a top ten pick for Peppers. If it was a future first or a second round pick then yeah. But I do not feel we are in a position of being one player away to give up that high of a pick. Add on top of that handing him a new contract.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:
Any other offensive coordinators that we could go after because Clyde Christensen and Rob Chudzinski dont impress me at all???

Ugh.

They also interviewed the BC Head Coach who was let go. Can't find a link right now though.