Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
49erNation, can you please try and make paragraphs and spell correctly while also using proper grammar? Your posts are difficult to read...
Seriously it's getting ridiculous.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not gonna lie I really like your guys draft after those 1st three picks. Obviously Smith & Kapernick have huge upside but I think they are more likely to fall short of their potentials then become stars. I obviously don't have the medical report of Robert Quinn but I just feel like his is a much better player. Just not a fan of Chris Culliver, and to announce him at CB is just...I think the only chance his has in the NFL is FS.

On to the compliments, love Kendall Hunter in the 4th if AZ had not taken Ryan Williams in the 2nd I think he may of very well been our pick in the 3rd. For a guy his size he runs very well inside, hits the hole and is just gone and uses his blocks well, but I think when he gets in space is when he truly shines, he is extremely shifty without ever losing speed. Will need to learn how to block and catch to become a true 3rd down back but I don't see why he can't do that.

Kilgore is just a real bruiser not really starter talent but solid depth.

RoJo was a steal, could very well be a starter for you sooner rather than later could be a solid #2 WR.

Colin Jones is a guy who I really like fits the mold of a special teams ace, extremely athletic and willing to get physical, not really great in pass coverage but a good run stopper, maybe he can be used in short yardage or goal line sets in the future.

I really liked Miller as a late round sleeper at OLB in the 3-4 very surprised to hear you are moving him to FB, and honestly I've never heard of your 7th rounders.

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Not gonna lie I really like your guys draft after those 1st three picks. Obviously Smith & Kapernick have huge upside but I think they are more likely to fall short of their potentials then become stars. I obviously don't have the medical report of Robert Quinn but I just feel like his is a much better player. Just not a fan of Chris Culliver, and to announce him at CB is just...I think the only chance his has in the NFL is FS.
Thanks. Aldon Smith may "fall short" of his potential, but his ceiling right now is Demarcus Ware, and his floor is in my opinion, significantly higher than Ahmad Brooks or Parys Haralson. That makes it a huge upgrade, combined with a more aggressive defensive coordinator and we could see a large contribution from Aldon right away.

Kaepernick - Once again, his ceiling is so high that i'm not sure where you think he'll end up by saying "fall short" of his potential. And when grading the Kaepernick pick I think you have to grade he and harbaugh as a package deal. If he's anything close to the quarterback developer that he is portrayed as, I see huge things from Kaepernick.

Culliver - I honestly don't know much about him, except from what i've found since learning he was our pick. But I don't think what he's announced as really has any impact on his ability to succeed. In Trent Baalke's explanation of the pick he said that Culliver could impact the secondary right away in the nickel and that when playing that position you're looking for that 'tweener' anyway. The more 6', 200 lb, 4.4 forty guys we can have in the secondary the better. Not to mention the special teams value this kid has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz
On to the compliments, love Kendall Hunter in the 4th if AZ had not taken Ryan Williams in the 2nd I think he may of very well been our pick in the 3rd. For a guy his size he runs very well inside, hits the hole and is just gone and uses his blocks well, but I think when he gets in space is when he truly shines, he is extremely shifty without ever losing speed. Will need to learn how to block and catch to become a true 3rd down back but I don't see why he can't do that.
I really like Kendal Hunter too - I think he and Gore will be a great pairing, and I still like Anthony Dixon too. Harbaugh will find away to get Hunter his touches to spell Gore and add some wrinkles i'm sure.

And since you brought up Ryan Williams, I don't think you need me to tell you this but he could easily, easily end up being the best back in this class. Worst case scenario I see him as the #2 behind Ingram (i think detroit is still too committed to Best to give Leshoure a fair shake at being better than either of them).

Quote:
Kilgore is just a real bruiser not really starter talent but solid depth.
I would say that's a fair assessment. His versatility is what really intrigues me, and I guess he's downright nasty. Solid depth for sure, but i wouldn't close the door on him being a starter.

Chilo Rachal - you know what I mean?

Quote:
RoJo was a steal, could very well be a starter for you sooner rather than later could be a solid #2 WR.
Yeah he was a steal, but surprisingly i'm not super stoked about it. I love him as a player, it really has nothing to do with him actually. It's more so about Harbaugh's style of offense.

RB - Gore
FB - Miller
TE - Davis
TE - Walker
WR - Crabtree

Miller or Walker come off and are replaced by Morgan - sure he'll contribute in some role when we go three wide, but Harbaugh's MO is a bit more physical than that.

Great player, but I question how much he'll be involved.

Quote:
Colin Jones is a guy who I really like fits the mold of a special teams ace, extremely athletic and willing to get physical, not really great in pass coverage but a good run stopper, maybe he can be used in short yardage or goal line sets in the future.
You and me both. Special teams ace is the best way to describe him, which we desperately need.

Quote:
I really liked Miller as a late round sleeper at OLB in the 3-4 very surprised to hear you are moving him to FB, and honestly I've never heard of your 7th rounders.
He's going to get his shot at OLB but to be honest there's no way he beats out haralson/brooks/lawson (if we keep him). Which means he'd provide some decent depth for us. And that's certainly something he can do while playing fullback for us.

I think this is Harbaugh's Owen Marecic consolation.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What gives me some consolation about the Aldon Smith pick is the coaches that were after him. The Texans and Wade Phillips were eying him at the 11 pick. Phillips coached both Merriman and Ware in the last 6 years as premiere OLB's for his 3-4, and Aldon was the OLB he wanted for his new 3-4 defense (he also passed on fan favourite Quinn). Washington also wanted an OLB as they took Ryan Kerrigan. I also think this pick gets criticism because a lot of us locked on to Quinn or Amukamara the entire pre-draft process and almost ignored the other potential picks.

On Kaepernick, he fits the Harbaugh mold of athletic instincts, leadership, and work ethic. All his flows are correctable (doesn't mean they will automatically be corrected, just means they CAN be fixed). He's got great upside but has to ride the pine for a year. I think he'll start opening day 2012 season at the latest, maybe even earlier. Just remember that Harbaugh called Romo and Garrard being solid starters while calling Carr and Harrington as busts.

The Culliver pick is one i'm down on. Feels like Reggie Smith all over again. He does have some interesting tools though, so who knows.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 05-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to like the Aldon Smith pick because if he can become our franchise pass rusher, we should definitely keep Lawson to play opposite him especially since he's better than Haralson and Brooks. Thats one thing I have said all along, re-sign Lawson and sign/draft a pass rusher opposite him.

The CK pick is a wait and see what happens kind of thing. I just hope that if he doesnt start week one in 2011, they dont throw him in mid-season like they did with Alex back in 2005. Either you start week one or take at least a year before starting him. I hate that in the middle of the season crap.

I hate the Culliver pick.

Love the Hunter and Johnson picks. Kilgore pick is okay and im hoping he stays at guard and beats out Rachal for the starting RG spot.

I think Miller will be our 4th OLB and starting FB. A guy who can get sacks is a guy you dont want to move to offense especially since having an extra sackster would be a huge positive.

I am still worried about NT though. Sopoaga is an UFA in 2012 and will be 30. Dont see him being brough back if he doesnt re-sign before then. Jean-Francois is still a project and remains to be seen as to how he adjusts to possibly being a starter instead of off the bench.

Overall, im not as pissed as I was a few days ago but at the same time, im just hoping that the projects work out good for us sooner rather than later.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post

The Culliver pick is one i'm down on. Feels like Reggie Smith all over again. He does have some interesting tools though, so who knows.
My take on the Culliver pick is that he is our version of Prince. If you compare Amarakura's and Culliver's Combine numbers they're almost identical(Culliver had the faster 40, 10 yard split, Prince a better broad jump). But Culliver, has added value as a kick returner. Now Culliver only played CB his senior year. He played FS and WR before that. He is a project but he has the elite physical gifts with which to work from. You don't draft prospects for who they are now but for what they can become. He has the same physical gifts and athleticism as a guy who was supposed to be a top 10 pick. During Baalke's post game presser, he stated we worked out Culliver before the draft. Im sure they were impressed with what they saw. He doesn't have the same film as Prince but that's where the coaching comes in. Baalke is banking on Donatell to turn him into Prince. Baalke also said he would be in competition right away for the nickelback position. It's a apparent they see something in Culliver that they like. Just my 2 cents...
VAfy-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
My take on the Culliver pick is that he is our version of Prince. If you compare Amarakura's and Culliver's Combine numbers they're almost identical(Culliver had the faster 40, 10 yard split, Prince a better broad jump). But Culliver, has added value as a kick returner. Now Culliver only played CB his senior year. He played FS and WR before that. He is a project but he has the elite physical gifts with which to work from. You don't draft prospects for who they are now but for what they can become. He has the same physical gifts and athleticism as a guy who was supposed to be a top 10 pick. During Baalke's post game presser, he stated we worked out Culliver before the draft. Im sure they were impressed with what they saw. He doesn't have the same film as Prince but that's where the coaching comes in. Baalke is banking on Donatell to turn him into Prince. Baalke also said he would be in competition right away for the nickelback position. It's a apparent they see something in Culliver that they like. Just my 2 cents...
Get your rationality out of here, can't you see that's not alllowed?

;)
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post

The CK pick is a wait and see what happens kind of thing. I just hope that if he doesnt start week one in 2011, they dont throw him in mid-season like they did with Alex back in 2005. Either you start week one or take at least a year before starting him. I hate that in the middle of the season crap.
I can say without hesitation that its slim to none that CK sees the field his rookie season. He's not WCO ready, and needs to hone his mechanics and footwork to be effective enough to run this offense. And with the shortened off-season, it just doesn't look good for him to see significant minutes this year. Sure anything is possible, but him seeing the field this year would mean we have nothing to play for as the season wears on.....not good. Harbaugh wants to win now and that's one of the reason he was adamant about Alex returning. I know that doesn't make sense for some....winning and Alex in the same sentence, but Harbaugh has a legitimate point.

Here's a great read on CK, Alex and the prospects of both next season...
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...-in-the-draft/

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Get your rationality out of here, can't you see that's not alllowed?

;)
LOL! I do apologize, forgive me sir...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

The guys Im really interested to see are Jones, Johnson, and Miller. Miller because when I watched him at the Combine, he had the best feet of all the DL/LB I saw. In the backpedal drill, he defintely had the smoothest transition and I was surprised by how well his hips were. All this tells me he definitely has some ability to be a FB. Everyone wanted us to take Marecic, but Miller is stronger, faster, and more athletic if you look at their agility numbers. It will be interesting to see if he can make the conversion.

I want to see Johnson because he has all the tools to push Morgan as the #2 WR. As much as like Morgan, he is inconsistent and has mental laspes at the most inopportune time. Sing and Sullivan loved the guy but I want to see what a new pair of eyes sees. And he can also give us a viable guy in the slot as opposed to Ginn's brick hands. I still have high hopes for Kyle Williams. Eager to see if he can stay healthy next year and gets to show his stuff. I understand we will move Crabs to the slot....alot. But Johnson gives us a guy I think is very capable there, as well as on the outside. He gives us alot of options.

Jones intrigues me because he is looked at as a ST guy but the way our secondary has looked, he could bring some added speed to our nickel and dime packages. Great triangle numbers and could surprise ppl if he puts in the work and develops. He sure was impressive in TCU's bowl game. But lack of production at the college level could mean he is just another body on STs.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that we can throw away the depth chart that we are used to. With a completely new coaching staff, there are no more coach favorites on both sides of the ball.

There are players that have been on the team for a few years now that probably will get cut. I just can't wait to see some guys in there playing who deserve more than their starters.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I just can't wait to see some guys in there playing who deserve more than their starters.
Like who?

Excluding Rachal because everyone knows he shouldnt be a starter.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Like who?

Excluding Rachal because everyone knows he shouldnt be a starter.
Yes, Rachal is one, but the OLBs, DBs, and maybe Josh Morgan.

What I am trying to say is that with a completely new coaching staff, no one's job is safe
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crabtree had better man up for one. I'd love to hear a report of a CK fastball splitting his head open the first time he goes on a shopping spree when he should be hitting his play book. Sissy should be in an mma camp right now, not
DKNY.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So does any know if the team has started mini camps or just private work outs yet?It sucks that the rookies are gonna have a hard time trying to get practices in still.I still can't wait and see who is going to be starting for us sadly most likely Smith.But maybe the new staff can get to man up.

I'm also excitied to see what our new play book on offense play book is gonna be like hopefully it opens the ball down field etc.I haven't been around the net much since moving to MT Rainer.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no teams are allowed to hold camps or practice of any kind.

some players like Larry Fitzgerald are running their own camps though

Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Something else about the Culliver pick I wanted to add. This pick reminds me alot of Holmgren's TJ Ward pick from a year ago. A guy who was looked at as a big reach, who alot scouts had major concerns about at the next level. Ward went on to have a pretty solid rookie year for the Browns so it just goes to show that if you like a player's fit in your scheme, you take him even though the value may not be there.

My only real surprise with the pick is that Harbaalke said they saw him as a slot DB. I understand he's fast and super athletic, but he's also a big DB and a willing tackler who could excel on the outside. Now maybe they were saying that as a means to bring him along slowly, but I wouldn't rule against the kid on the outside. The guy played FS for two years and had no problem coming up being aggressive and making hits and breaking on the ball. Interesting to see if he ultimately moves to safety, ala Reggie Smith. Though I NEVER saw Reggie Smith as a viable option as a CB at the pro level.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-06-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Something else about the Culliver pick I wanted to add. This pick reminds me alot of Holmgren's TJ Ward pick from a year ago. A guy who was looked at as a big reach, who alot scouts had major concerns about at the next level. Ward went on to have a pretty solid rookie year for the Browns so it just goes to show that if you like a player's fit in your scheme, you take him even though the value may not be there.

My only real surprise with the pick is that Harbaalke said they saw him as a slot DB. I understand he's fast and super athletic, but he's also a big DB and a willing tackler who could excel on the outside. Now maybe they were saying that as a means to bring him along slowly, but I wouldn't rule against the kid on the outside. The guy played FS for two years and had no problem coming up being aggressive and making hits and breaking on the ball. Interesting to see if he ultimately moves to safety, ala Reggie Smith. Though I NEVER saw Reggie Smith as a viable option as CB at the pro level.
Good stuff. Your last few posts on Culliver make me feel a bit better about him lol. Besides the Ward comparison, it kind of reminds me of Sam Shields- he put up some good numbers at the combine or his pro-day, can't remember which, and he was coached up by Dom Capers and Joe Whitt Jr. Fangio is a Capers disicple and Donatell has a good track record as a Secondary coach so best-case scenario maybe they can get a Sam Shields type impact out of Culliver.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 05-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

My only real surprise with the pick is that Harbaalke said they saw him as a slot DB. I understand he's fast and super athletic, but he's also a big DB and a willing tackler who could excel on the outside. Now maybe they were saying that as a means to bring him along slowly, but I wouldn't rule against the kid on the outside. The guy played FS for two years and had no problem coming up being aggressive and making hits and breaking on the ball. Interesting to see if he ultimately moves to safety, ala Reggie Smith. Though I NEVER saw Reggie Smith as a viable option as CB at the pro level.
Just the quickest way to get him on the field. Could he win a job on the outside this year? Sure, I don't see why not - but it's almost a guarantee to say he'll be on the field as the 3rd corner from day 1.

The only way this changes is if we go grab a corner in FA, but even then I still see him in the nickel.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Good stuff. Your last few posts on Culliver make me feel a bit better about him lol. Besides the Ward comparison, it kind of reminds me of Sam Shields- he put up some good numbers at the combine or his pro-day, can't remember which, and he was coached up by Dom Capers and Joe Whitt Jr. Fangio is a Capers disicple and Donatell has a good track record as a Secondary coach so best-case scenario maybe they can get a Sam Shields type impact out of Culliver.
SMH.....I really REALLY wanted Sam Shields last year. He was much like Culliver. Came to college as a heralded prep WR and switched to defense so he was raw heading into the pro ranks. But he was so athletic and and had insane recovery speed and short-area quickness. Smooth, fluid hips. But teams were scared because he wasn't very physical and lacked instincts, especially off the ball. But he was the perfect slot gut to me....Dre Bly 2.0....bigger, faster, stronger. Signs on as a UDFA with the Packers and they turn him into one of the better nickelbacks in the league.....and the rich get richer. And Im afraid the same is going to happen with Rashad Carmichael this year. He's not as big as we like our CB's but almost perfect fit over the slot. Has great technique, stays low in his beckpedal and the best hips in this year's draft class. Another guy I think will fill a huge role for a team as a rookie. But back to our own players....

I will give Baalke credit as I think he found a diamond in the rough in Phillip Adams. That kid has above average instincts and quickness. Great burst to the ball and just looks like he "gets it". If you were looking at his triangle numbers you wouldn't think much was there but from the little I saw of him last year, I was impressed. Suffered that horrific broken ankle though. Dont really know what's going on with that and how's he's recovering but I hope he makes it back on the field soon because the kid has some real promise.

And king2am, you right. Probably just the easiest way to get him on the field without throwing too much info onto a young kid still learning his way. I just can't wait to see what Donatell can do with these guys. I respect him as coach and I think he will get more out of the unit than Vance Joseph and Johnnie Lynn ever did.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

Believe me you don't want him being a CB, he instant burnt toast in coverage

Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp1898

Did you guys know about this? Kind of cool.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post

Yeah, they've reportedly been pretty close since they both attended the Manning camp last summer. Alex Smith seems to be the kind of guy that would go out of his way to work with him as well. I see Kaepernick as one who will be getting alot of info to sponge before the lockout is lifted.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Did you guys know about this? Kind of coo
l

That is pretty cool though.At least Ck is all gun ho about this learning our new system and getting a head start.Gets me more liking the guy since he will have the work ethic already in place and a good coach.It must going to pretty simple play book if Luck can teach him this early or at least just about the same to the Standford play book.

It would be pretty crazy if CK beat out A.Smith for a starting job.Though it might to early to let him start unless if he can run it pretty well and have good accurate numbers in pre season.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post

Writers are STRUGGLING to find something to write about, especially now since the draft is over. So I think that is what this article mostly is about.

Kaepernick and Luck might do a little talking back and forth, but I doubt it will be anything more than that.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Kaepernick is the starter at the beginning of the season, but I expect Alex's experience, and lack of mini-camps, to make him the starter.