Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 AM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

cute (if i could do the rolling eyes smiley i would). just saying where sanchez is on my board. id rather take an ot but sanchez is up there. im cool with hill but you gotta go with bpa. obviously if smith is back it changes my position. id feel comfortable with hill as my starter next year. however, sanchez has potential to be great and i think hill's ceiling is servicable to good. i know his stats were good last year, but lets be honest the good defenses against the pass were in the first half of the season. it is disheartening to think about at times--and im still a sing believer--but we only played one playoff team in the final nine games and lost that game. So the whole "hill is a winner" argument doesnt really do it for me when evaluating his play. so, "fail" or not, id jump on the opportunity to get a franchise qb if OT is unavailable.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with you on this one FG.

Overall, I'm ok with our defense except at the FS position and we wont be filling that in round one with Taylor Mays returning to school.

We need offensive help.

I am going...

#1. OT (if a top one is available) - It all starts up front.

#2. QB Mark Sanchez - I have doubts about how Shaun Hill could perform in a game that actually means something (or as FG stated, against a playoff calibur team) and I have no faith left in Alex Smith.

or

WR Michael Crabtree - Doubtful that he is still available here, but Bruce isnt getting any younger and Bryant Johnson is, meh. Josh Morgan looks good, but we will need a true #1 WR very soon.

*I am also a BIG fan of WR Jeremy Maclin and what he can bring to a team, recieving and return wise. I'm just not sure if he is a top 10 pick, but for me he is very close. I think Maclin could have a better pro career than Crabtree...

#3. Best defensive player available

I know that a lot of you will not agree with #2, but remember, I love you guys. So be gentle...
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Why Smith is a terrible fit for our offense.
your right. jonas jennings and barry sims have been studs there all year long.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post

Overall, I'm ok with our defense except at the FS position and we wont be filling that in round one with Taylor Mays returning to school.

We need offensive help.

I am going...

#2. QB Mark Sanchez - I have doubts about how Shaun Hill could perform in a game that actually means something (or as FG stated, against a playoff calibur team) and I have no faith left in Alex Smith.

or

WR Michael Crabtree - Doubtful that he is still available here, but Bruce isnt getting any younger and Bryant Johnson is, meh. Josh Morgan looks good, but we will need a true #1 WR very soon.

*I am also a BIG fan of WR Jeremy Maclin and what he can bring to a team, recieving and return wise. I'm just not sure if he is a top 10 pick, but for me he is very close. I think Maclin could have a better pro career than Crabtree...

I know that a lot of you will not agree with #2, but remember, I love you guys. So be gentle...
i totally agree w/ # 2 especially the smith part
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
These guys don't even start.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think an OT at 10 might well be a waste. We can grab an OT in the second. We don't need a marquee LT, what we need is a mauling, blitz eating RT. (Loadholt?)

Also, for the Sanchez fans, you do realise that if we draft him he'll have to sit for a season (I'd prefer two) right? I'm not saying it's a bad pick if you want to build down the line but don't go expecting him to start next season...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
How in any way does that apply to what im saying? Smith and Betty of the top ten OT's available are both bad fits for the offense.

Quote:

We need offensive help.

I am going...

or

I really think that if a guy like Oher is not available when we pick. Then our focus should shift to the best available defender. B.J. Raji would be at the top of my wishlist.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 01-20-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Finally, although it's tough to judge in shells, LSU FB Quinn Johnson could be this year's LeRon McClain. Give Johnson the ball, he powers through the line and just doesn't go to ground easily."

To whomever was talking about a fullback before.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 01-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have a hard time taking a guy who wouldn't contribute (Sanchez) versus a guy that would (Raji) and could be that all important NT for us.

Sanchez scenario:

Hill starts, the defense is relatively the same.

Raji scenario:

Hill starts, the defense is improved.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
"Finally, although it's tough to judge in shells, LSU FB Quinn Johnson could be this year's LeRon McClain. Give Johnson the ball, he powers through the line and just doesn't go to ground easily."

To whomever was talking about a fullback before.
That all sounds good to me.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

We need offensive help.

I am going...

or

I think Sanchez is just too risky, there is just not enough game tape to evaluate him on. Plus, Raji could come in and make an instant impact right away as someone pointed out. If Freeman is there in the 2nd then that would be an ok pick.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK so we dont have an OC yet but we do know Coach wants a heavy run based offense so I dont see the benefit of taking Sanchez with #10. Yes he's a nice player but based on our proposed game plan I have confidence in Hill (to start) and Alex (as back up) to manage the game as required. Neither of them may be pro bowlers but both have the skill set to accomplish what we want. I see both OL and DL as our biggest needs and I cant justify taking any QB early.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are we OK with the fact that Raji was basically kicked off the team last year? Shouldn't this be considered, especially with such a high draft pick?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Are we OK with the fact that Raji was basically kicked off the team last year? Shouldn't this be considered, especially with such a high draft pick?
It was an academic issue wasn't it? - As opposed to drugs, assault or self harm (see: Burress, Plaxico).

If it's an intelligence issue then I don't think it rates too highly, he's not going to have learn the most complex things playing at NT. Still, if it's an attitude thing as opposed to a intelligence thing then it should be considered but I reckon Singletary could light a fire under him.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
It was an academic issue wasn't it? - As opposed to drugs, assault or self harm (see: Burress, Plaxico).

If it's an intelligence issue then I don't think it rates too highly, he's not going to have learn the most complex things playing at NT. Still, if it's an attitude thing as opposed to a intelligence thing then it should be considered but I reckon Singletary could light a fire under him.
Yep, after doing a little research, it does sound like an academic issue. And it wasn't even a GPA issue, rather it was Raji thinking that he only needed to take 2 courses rather than 3 and that this put him off-schedule for future graduation and the NCAA suspended him. He supposedly hit the books real hard after that and even got to the point where he killed it and set himself up for a super-easy semester this past fall.

And there are comparisons to Casey Hampton floating out there and that makes Borat a big Raji fan. I've had a hard-on for Hampton for the longest time and I'm sure you guys are sick of me mentioning how we haven't had a true 3-4 NT yet.

I'm definitely warming up to him at #10.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
And there are comparisons to Casey Hampton floating out there and that makes Borat a big Raji fan. I've had a hard-on for Hampton for the longest time and I'm sure you guys are sick of me mentioning how we haven't had a true 3-4 NT yet.

I'm definitely warming up to him at #10.
First, I didnt know you and Joe Horn were so much alike, referring to yourself in the 3rd person. Second, the more I think about it and read about it, Raji sounds like a perfect match for us at #10.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat knows that Borat is super important and stuff.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

just so you know most serial killers refer to themselves in third person
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

George is getting upset!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogcity_faithful View Post
just so you know most serial killers refer to themselves in third person
Borat thinks you're getting too close to Borat's secret.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
OK so we dont have an OC yet but we do know Coach wants a heavy run based offense so I dont see the benefit of taking Sanchez with #10. Yes he's a nice player but based on our proposed game plan I have confidence in Hill (to start) and Alex (as back up) to manage the game as required. Neither of them may be pro bowlers but both have the skill set to accomplish what we want. I see both OL and DL as our biggest needs and I cant justify taking any QB early.
Which I think would put us in the perfect spot to draft a QB. We have a starter in place and could actually groom a QB. There would be no pressure to rush him out there. I also think there is a good chance we fill a lot of holes via FA and put the 49ers in a position to take a QB, if one happens to fall to us.

Also Jags is back in the running for OC:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...or-oc-job.html
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I would be upset if we took a QB in the first two or three rounds.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

I still feel like 10 is a bit too high for Raji... now, if he has a terrific rest of the week at the Senior Bowl and performs well at the combine/workouts then I think I really could see it. Honestly, the one thing that worries me is the "inconsistent motor" tag I've read about. That's a BIG deal with DT's. Just ask a Rams fan how Jimmy Kennedy turned out, and that guy had at least the physical ability of a B.J. Raji, if not more.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I would be upset if we took a QB in the first two or three rounds.
I agree. I think there will still be some talent in the 4th and 5th plus we have so many other needs.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

mock draft if it's based on what i saw this morning on the nfl network.

1. bj raji - dt
2. max unger - c/g/t
3. larry english - de
4. jermiah johnson - rb
5. graham harrell - qb
6. ryan plamer - cb
7. maurice crum jr - ilb

after patrick chung there really isn't anything special @ the free safety spot. my mays returning to school, it's a pretty weak class.