Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Experience is great but sometimes you have to let young talent shine. Look at guys like McCourty and Sam Shields last year. If guys are deeme talented enough to override experience, so be it. I think Spencer is good starting CB. But if there's a young guy with more talent that gives us a better chance on Sundays, I have no problem sending him packing.
I completely agree, in theory. However, you have to compare Spencer's talent (as the current #2 CB) to the #5, #6 or #7 CB if he's going to be cut. He wouldn't be cut because Brown or Culliver is better.

It'd be different if Spencer had a big contract, but he doesn't, so as long as he is better than the likes of Cory Nelms and Philip Davis, then I keep him.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I completely agree, in theory. However, you have to compare Spencer's talent (as the current #2 CB) to the #5, #6 or #7 CB if he's going to be cut. He wouldn't be cut because Brown or Culliver is better.

It'd be different if Spencer had a big contract, but he doesn't, so as long as he is better than the likes of Cory Nelms and Philip Davis, then I keep him.
Very true. But let's say Harbs really likes a couple of young CBs and doesn't want to expose them to the waiver wire. Do you keep a guy that is probably not on the roster past this year so you can win now, or do you secure young talent and give them some experience so they can help you in the future, when your looking to be better and headed for the playoffs if all goes well? Its always another angle to look at, in terms of experience versus youth.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Very true. But let's say Harbs really likes a couple of young CBs and doesn't want to expose them to the waiver wire. Do you keep a guy that is probably not on the roster past this year so you can win now, or do you secure young talent and give them some experience so they can help you in the future, when your looking to be better and headed for the playoffs if all goes well? Its always another angle to look at, in terms of experience versus youth.
I could see us keeping 6 CB's. Rogers, Spencer, Adams, Culliver, Brock, and Brown. Just looking at your 53 list, i would take Spencer over Alex Joseph. We'll see how it pans out in a few weeks though.

BTW, here's a nice article from Grant Cohn on the state of the 49ers. Interesting read.

Quote:
So, have the 49ers improved? You bet.
Most of the players they’ve lost are on defense, and they’re mostly big, run-stoppers. In today’s NFL, you’ve got to be able to stop the pass, and this 49er team has improved in that area.
Why? Because the defense is just plain faster. Rogers is quicker and better in coverage than Clements. Whitner plays faster than Mays. And Aldon Smith, who may not be as fast as Lawson, will get to the quarterback quicker and more often. He should make the entire defense better against the pass. They may have more trouble against the run or covering faster tight ends, but overall they’re a better unit than last year.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...-organization/

Good read. I'm willing to take a little hit on run defense if we can add some speed to the team. We still have Willis so i doubt we'll be too bad at defending the run anyways.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Experience is great but sometimes you have to let young talent shine. Look at guys like McCourty and Sam Shields last year. If guys are deeme talented enough to override experience, so be it. I think Spencer is good starting CB. But if there's a young guy with more talent that gives us a better chance on Sundays, I have no problem sending him packing.
If he has more talent and showcases it, sure. We'll see in the preseason how they do. But you don't just give a younger player a chance because they are simply young. Spencer is only 29 and all of the younger competition are going to have to have more than youth on their side to unseat him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and yes, seeing how this is a passing league we should be focusing a good amount of actually stopping the pass. I feel confident in stopping the run with Willis and Bowman in there anyways. Whiter could help in run support as well.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let us all hope and pray that it's just pessimism and rumor but...

Reggie Smith rumored to be seriously injured...

Quote:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch
S Reggie Smith and LT Joe Staley did not finish practice, leaving with apparently minor injuries. #49ers
Quote:
superreg30 Reginald L. Smith II

Everything happens 4 a reason & I believe it. Just wished it wouldn't have happened right now. But with God on my side I know it will be OK
Quote:

Appreciate all the support from everybody. I'll be fine twit fam 
But perhaps, and let's hope that it's just a personal issue that he will handle...

Quote:

Up and ready, time to get busy!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goldson re-signed. WTF.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Smith might be hurt.

He's an improvement over Mays, Williams, Taylor, and Maragos, regardless.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goldson back on 1 year deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urns-to-49ers/

Crowded secondary but we need competition there so that unit can improve over last year. Williams' days appear to be numbered as a 49er as he's not as good as Goldson, Whitner and he's not young-and-upcoming like Smith, Jones, etc. I like that they didn't have to break the bank for Goldson or commit to him long term, allowing him to prove himself for another year (a year in which he's not secretly injured all season) before he gets any kind of big money deal.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Goldson re-signed. WTF.
Wow talk about a turn of events. Love the Goldson/Whitner combo in the secondary. Really surprised that Goldson swallowed his pride and took a one-year deal to come back.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Goldson back on 1 year deal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urns-to-49ers/

Crowded secondary but we need competition there so that unit can improve over last year. Williams' days appear to be numbered as a 49er as he's not as good as Goldson, Whitner and he's not young-and-upcoming like Smith, Jones, etc. I like that they didn't have to break the bank for Goldson or commit to him long term, allowing him to prove himself for another year (a year in which he's not secretly injured all season) before he gets any kind of big money deal.
I dont even think Jones is getting even 3rd team reps and I have yet heard anyone in the media utter his name in their write-ups on players in TC. His value lies in ST only at this point. Unless he becomes the next Steve Tasker, I expect him to be PS bound. Which wouldnt be a bad thing at all.

People will realize soon enough what Whitner brings to the table. I think he is that good but like Kyle Williams, he gets overlooked because he played on a bad team. And because last year was his first year playing a full-season. Goldson coming back really doesn't change my feelings on Reggie Smith.....I think he's a better fit at FS. He's more sound in coverage. Goldson's aggressivness gets the better of him alot. It will be interesting how it all shakes out. One thing for sure, I dont think I ever remember seeing a team with this much quality depth and so many inter-changeable personel at safety before. Its nice to have that luxury for a change.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 08-08-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

And when you really think about, Smith, Whitner, and Goldson all have a history of being injured. Makes sense to stockpile talent if you can. So what are guys feelings on the starting safties for the start of the season? Im going with Smith and Whitner for now.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And when you really think about, Smith, Whitner, and Goldson all have a history of being injured. Makes sense to stockpile talent if you can. So what are guys feelings on the starting safties for the start of the season? Im going with Smith and Whitner for now.
If Smith isn't too seriously injured, i agree. I could also see Goldson as the Nickel safety and primary backup to both. The 4th safety will probably be C.J. Spillman or Chris Maragos. If we keep a 5th safety, it could be one of Spillman/Maragos as well, or maybe Colin Jones if he shines in pre-season. But right now it looks like Jones is PS bound. Mays, Curtis Taylor, and Madieu Williams look to be gone at the end of pre-season. JMO.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the Whitner signing and think that the 49ers Faithful will definitely grow to love him once they see what he brings to the table over the next couple years. He's a pro and will help the Niners, bringing some brains and swinging some wood in the secondary.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hows thaddeus gibson doing?

:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I'd rather take my chances with Reggie Smith at FS than Goldson. We'll see who performs better in the preseason I guess.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
hows thaddeus gibson doing?

:-(
I've been wondering that myself. Havent heard ANYTHING about him from training camp.....and thats not usually a good sign.

And I read that Smith minor injury isnt so minor.....may require surgery. If thats the case, the Goldson signing makes all the sense in the world now.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Goldson re-signed. WTF.
Hello Dashon & Drew, your reality check is now complete. Welcome to the real world!!

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
mattbarrowsMatt Barrows

Source: #49ers S ReggieSmith has a tear in the meniscus of one of his knees. He'll miss a couple of weeks, but it's not a long-term injury.
Heard anywhere from 2-4 weeks. I swear between Smith and Brooks, I always end up with egg on my face. Everytime I think one is gonna step up, they get injured. At least its not long term but this ALWAYS seems to happen to these guys.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Goldson signed for only $2 million

Braylon will wear #18

and check this out for good news...
Quote:
"There's maybe a smidgen of truth to that," Edwards says. "At the end of the day I just saw this as a better situation. I saw this as a future situation. Even though I signed a one-year deal I don't see this as a stop on Braylon's World Tour. I plan on shutting it down here if things go right. I just couldn't see myself shutting it down in Arizona. They're ever-changing. They're always making drastic decisions. At the same time I can see myself being a No. 1 here. I can see there being two No. 1s here, myself and Crabtree. We could just go after each other and make each other better. Larry is that franchise's face, but that was just a small part of my decision. I just ... didn't feel right about Arizona in my heart. I just didn't really see that as where I was supposed to be. I saw this as where I was supposed to be.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1UScne2np
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Braylon says he sees himself as number 1 but then says he and Crabtree can both be number 1s??? LOL. Which is it? And its funny, he simply reversed 81 into 18. LOL.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And our secondary has been improved over a week ago. Rogers, Spencer, Whitner and Goldson. Nice. If Goldson can go back to his 2009 form, we might have a good secondary. And I see us keeping Smith but not the veteran Williams and Mays is 50/50. They should offer him and a draft pick to PHI for Samuel. Oh well.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

And the Madden NFL 12 demo comes out tomorrow. Yay. I hope the gameplay at least matches Madden NFL 10 and I should have my football game for 2011. :)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I thought you didn't play Madden Dan. Or as you put it "I don't play crapaden!!"

Quote:
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Heard anywhere from 2-4 weeks. I swear between Smith and Brooks, I always end up with egg on my face. Everytime I think one is gonna step up, they get injured. At least its not long term but this ALWAYS seems to happen to these guys.
So there is still a good chance that Smith can contribute. Maybe even by the season opener. At least he's not out for good. I was concerned.

Quote: