Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well like I have been saying it turns out Gore has had an ankle injury all year that he hurt worse against Cinci. Not sure how long he is out but having a healthy RB in the backfield will make the offense much more effective.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I understand Detriot is playing good but their team doesn't present the match-up nightmares all over the field like Dallas and Philly does. Megatron is All-World but other than him and Pettigrew, who really gives us problems on offense? Best? Not even. Stafford? Still has questionable decision making. Defensively, their LB core has improved and Suh is Suh but the safties and CBs are still suspect and their DEs are nothing to write home about. Sure it will be a tough game, as this team makes every game tough but I dont see them as some elite level team we have to worry about matching up with.
Weapons galore on that offense with "Black Wes Welker" in Burleson and Titus Young's role starting to gradually increase. Add in it is going to be a road game on turf don't like the chances of the 49ers secondary keeping up with them. Also I don't think you are giving Stafford enough credit. He has been playing mistake-free football and just slicing up defenses. Stafford is on the crisp of being elite.

Even scarier is they are going to get Nick Fairly back next week.

Eagles injury updates: Mike Vick and Jeremy Maclin both day to day. I still don't think Vick plays but wouldn't be surprised if he gives it a go.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Weapons galore on that offense with "Black Wes Welker" in Burleson and Titus Young's role starting to gradually increase. Add in it is going to be a road game on turf don't like the chances of the 49ers secondary keeping up with them. Also I don't think you are giving Stafford enough credit. He has been playing mistake-free football and just slicing up defenses. Stafford is on the crisp of being elite.

Eagles injury updates: Mike Vick and Jeremy Maclin both day to day. I still don't think Vick plays but wouldn't be surprised if he gives it a go.
with our luck (and skill at secondary) Mike Kafka will probably gash us. the 49ers seem to do terrible against the Eagles and they always some how play their backups.

i vaguely remember us playing the mcnabb-less eagles back in the day and KOY DETMER doin' work against us.

last season, we lost to captain check down due to a vick injury.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post

The day we worry about how to contain Nate Burelson is the day every Niner fan should dread. Burleson shouldn't scare ANYONE. You double Megatron and take your chances with the other receivers. Stafford has been playing well but they were getting spanked by a very bad Minnesota team until the Vikes performed their usual second half meltdown. Im not buying into the hype, not yet anyway. If we can hang with Philly, I'll be even more confident heading into Detroit.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How have Iupati and A Davis been so far? I've never been able to watch them.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
How have Iupati and A Davis been so far? I've never been able to watch them.
They have both struggled at times. Iupati still seems confused on blitz pick-ups and has struggled at the POA far more than a guy with his size and strength should. Davis still looks slow and lethargic in space and his footwork is still sloppy. They both missed and entire off-season of coaching, where they could have worked on their defeciencies at length so I know they'll both need time.

But the line as whole I think has real some issues. I re-watched the Dallas game for a third time on Saturday and it just seems to me, this unit isn't really fit to run the type of offense Harbs wants to run. With the exception of Goodwin and Staley, this line was drafted to be a power-running unit. That doesn't mesh well with WCO-principles in the passing game. I don't think its a coiencedence that Rachal, Staley, and Synder lost weight during the lockout. I think Harbs saw the tape from last year and knew these guy needed to get more agile to do some of the blocking they would be asking them to do. So he told them to trim it down. Okay fine, but now you have a guy in Staley who's base strength already suspect, even leaner. So now he gets no push in the run game, and can't helped but be put on roller skates anytime someone bull-rushes him. Rachal doesn't seems as powerful in the run game as he was before and his replacement, Synder is taller and leaner....which means he gets walked back constantly as well.

But the main problem I see is we just are overwhelmed physically upfront. Iupati is the only one who can match most of the guys across from him upfront in terms of strength and athleticism. The rest are either only powerful(Rachal, Davis) or only finesse(Staley, Goodwin, Synder). I liked the Goodwin signing because he had experience and was a good pass-protector and we needed to get better in that area. But Im starting to see why the Saints had such a meager run game between the tackles. Just isnt stout enough in the run game to get a push and get upfield. If you want that power run-blocking Harbs craves so much, it starts at center and Goodwin, even though a Michigan alum, doesn't seem like a ideal fit early on. I don't know if Staley will ever be a franchise LT because he doesn't exhibt enough strength in his game. We, and alot of other teams were enamored with his athleticism and quickness coming out if college but his lack of a strong base is a major concern with me. Rachal isn't in a offense that can highlight his strength physically and mask his shortcummings athletically. And his back-up isnt a much better option. Synder is really a depth player. He isnt very strong, nor a good athlete with quick feet. He's a asset because of his expereince and his versatility but he shouldn't be a starter for any extended period of time. And Davis hasn't really displayed the athleticism I saw from him in college. He looks clumsy in space and hasn't gotten enough push in the run game, what was supposed to be a strength of his going into the draft. I really thought his best pro position would eventually be at LT.....so Im probably gonna have to eat a plate of crow on that one if his play doesn't improve significantly. So that leaves only one lineman(Iupati) who shows some signs of life but even he has had technique issues. The O-Line is the main culprit so far this season, IMO. More so than the secondary, Gore, Alex, or the coaching staff. Its quite glaring actually.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-26-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ Fantastic post

It doesn't help that they insist on running against 8+ men in the box. Cincy actually had one play with 10 in on Sunday.

Most pass plays are two TE sets as well that doesn't set up well for a line that struggles in pass pro.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
^ Fantastic post

It doesn't help that they insist on running against 8+ men in the box. Cincy actually had one play with 10 in on Sunday.

Most pass plays are two TE sets as well that doesn't set up well for a line that struggles in pass pro.
Im actually a fan of the 2 TEs sets, as our TEs are our biggest match-up nightmare in the passing game. I just haven't seen the creativity out of that personel group. There hasn't been alot motion and shifting out that package except for the first half of the Cowboy game. That package should be isolating VD or Delaine against a LB or a safety everytime if done right(like the TD grab by Walker in the second half of the Cowboys game) I watched the Packers-Bear game Sunday and the way McCarthy was shifting and moitioning in two and three TEs sets was a thing of beauty. And it seems like he would get a mis-match with Finely every time. I understand their WRs and QB offer more to think about as DC but we should be getting better defined reads out of that personel group for Alex to get the ball out quicker.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
• The 49ers' defense has gone 25 straight games without an opposing rusher finishing with 100 or more yards.
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/26/393...#ixzz1Z2y31F1W
Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
Yes, they have been very good in the run game....BUT, why run it when you can throw all day on our secondary and pile up the points faster? This D is a couple of players away in the secondary from being in the upper echelon of the NFL, assuming the pass rush from the OLB group continues to develop. Aldon seems to be getting to the QB often on the limited downs he is playing.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Im actually a fan of the 2 TEs sets, as our TEs are our biggest match-up nightmare in the passing game. I just haven't seen the creativity out of that personel group. There hasn't been alot motion and shifting out that package except for the first half of the Cowboy game. That package should be isolating VD or Delaine against a LB or a safety everytime if done right(like the TD grab by Walker in the second half of the Cowboys game) I watched the Packers-Bear game Sunday and the way McCarthy was shifting and moitioning in two and three TEs sets was a thing of beauty. And it seems like he would get a mis-match with Finely every time. I understand their WRs and QB offer more to think about as DC but we should be getting better defined reads out of that personel group for Alex to get the ball out quicker.
You're exactly right. But for the most part all the 2 TE sets the 49ers have run have simply brought more players into the box.

Also... I watched some clips of of last game closely... Many of the times that Smith is sacked... all 3 receivers (TE's included) are running 4 yard stop routes. Yes... the deepest route is 4 yards. All 22 players in a 5 yard rectangle on the field. Exciting.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're exactly right. But for the most part all the 2 TE sets the 49ers have run have simply brought more players into the box.

Also... I watched some clips of of last game closely... Many of the times that Smith is sacked... all 3 receivers (TE's included) are running 4 yard stop routes. Yes... the deepest route is 4 yards. All 22 players in a 5 yard rectangle on the field. Exciting.
yeah it really feels like our Offense is still a bit behind in scheme, i thought we'd be seeing a ton of cool screens and crossing routes...everything has been bare minimum basic stuff.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
yeah it really feels like our Offense is still a bit behind in scheme, i thought we'd be seeing a ton of cool screens and crossing routes...everything has been bare minimum basic stuff.
Thinking the same thing. Really disappointed they haven't ran more RB/TE screens to slow down the blitz.

I agree with VAfy-ya. I've been surprised that Harbaugh hasn't taken advantage of his TE personnel and utilized them at the LOS the way the Patriots have done with their TE sets.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Can't think of a more poorly worded title than this one:
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18981615
Quote:
San Francisco 49ers distract themselves from ailing offense with hospital visit
As Archer would say "Phrasing."
Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great post about the Oline by Vafy, and it really paints a pretty dark picture of what we have on this team. That Singletary draft last year might've really, brutally screwed us, we had two first rounders in one of the deepest drafts in a while...ugh. Please let Kilgore be a stud, please.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's a bright spot guys.....the starting RG spot could be Snyder's this week. YAY!!! Harbaugh isnt 100% either way but im hoping for Snyder over Rachal. As for the rest of the OL, they need a smack across their face to wake them all the **** up. :)
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
As Archer would say "Phrasing."
one could argue that's a well done headline.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Great post about the Oline by Vafy, and it really paints a pretty dark picture of what we have on this team. That Singletary draft last year might've really, brutally screwed us, we had two first rounders in one of the deepest drafts in a while...ugh. Please let Kilgore be a stud, please.
I think Kilgore is our future center. He has the makings of a good one.....good fuctional strength at the POA, good feet, and is a instigator physically. I remember when they asked Baalke about him during the draft, one of the first things he said was they liked him inside as either OG or a Center. Goodwin only signed a 3 year deal I believe. Kilgore still needs work but as our O-Lineman go, I think he has just as much potential as Iupati to be a impact player inside in a year or two.

But I think we'll look for some immediate help next year during free agency. And we'll probably draft another 2-3 guys as well. Not sure what the free agents look like for O-Lineman in 2012, but I could see us going after some guys, while we use the draft to build depth and find eventually starters down the road.

In the meantime, I think we're stuck with what we have. If it were me, I would tweak the line-up but Im sure Harbs won't make drastic changes because he doesn't want to give off the vibe that something is wrong. That wouldn't mesh with the "we just need to get better" mantra he's been preaching. But I think the 5 best O-Lineman should start. And IMO, I think the 5 best are Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Staley, and Davis. Now I'll let you decide where to put who, where(IMO, Boone RT, Davis RG, Goodwin C, Iupati LG, Staley LT), but to me its these 5 that give you the best chance to compete every Sunday.

On a side note, just saw and read about our new stadium showcase or whatever its called, where fans can go and check out the details of the new stadium http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/09...-49er-stadium/. Am I the only one appalled by the new stadium design? A luxury suite tower? Really Jed? So you dedicate one side of the stadium to rich and and affluent, meanwhile your design team totally disregards the fact that there will be ZERO crowd noise and true home-field advantage with the way its curently designed and the acoustics, not to mention it eliminates the ability to provide upper deck cheap seating? I mean seriously, did they even consider the fans when they approved this crap? SMH....are the Yorks that out of touch with the fan-base?

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-27-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a good read on the O-line Vafy. I always enjoy reading about how other teams are doing, especially recent picks of guys you were a fan of. I thought Iupati was bust proof, all pro potential at the position and at worst a good starter for a long time. I guess scheme may have alot to do with it. I wanted him badly for Dallas that year and figured he was a perfect pick for you guys.

Davis I felt needed more time but had all the tools to be an elite LT. I think he was only 20 years old coming out or so, but once he got his strength up and filled out his frame more he would develop into a beast. Getting him and Iupati in the same draft should kick start your offensive line for the next 10 years.

Sucks to hear that those 2, and really Staley who has looked good before, are struggling. You may almost have to go back to the drawing board on offense if Crabtree never gets his act together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That was a good read on the O-line Vafy. I always enjoy reading about how other teams are doing, especially recent picks of guys you were a fan of. I thought Iupati was bust proof, all pro potential at the position and at worst a good starter for a long time. I guess scheme may have alot to do with it. I wanted him badly for Dallas that year and figured he was a perfect pick for you guys.

Davis I felt needed more time but had all the tools to be an elite LT. I think he was only 20 years old coming out or so, but once he got his strength up and filled out his frame more he would develop into a beast. Getting him and Iupati in the same draft should kick start your offensive line for the next 10 years.

Sucks to hear that those 2, and really Staley who has looked good before, are struggling. You may almost have to go back to the drawing board on offense if Crabtree never gets his act together.

I know its too early to write off Davis, but he has just struggled on the outside too much early on. He STILL doesn't seem comfortable on the right side. He said before that his footwork feels more natural on the left side but if he can't handle LDEs, I shudder to think how he would fair against more formidable RDEs. And there's ZERO chance of Staley being serviceable as a RT so he's pretty much stuck there for the time being. But you know the the talent is there. The Packers game last year was a perfect example, as he handled Clay Matthews easily. The mental lapses have to stop as well. The false starts were brutal last year.

Iupati is a sure fire stud though. All his problems have been technique driven and can easily be addressed. He just has a tendency to get too high and his hand placement is still all over the place. But he still gives you two or three devastating blocks a game where you see the All-Pro potential he posesses.

I've never been a big Staley fan, as his run-blocking has always been sub-par. I would love to see how Boone looks there, though he needs more work. His strength there would be a welcomed sight, though he struggles with his footwork at times also.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every week the offense gets a little more diverse as the team gets more comfortable in the offense, and he can put more in. Hopefully that continues.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yes, where are the crossing routes? Wheel routes? Angle routes by the backs out of the backfield? Designed rollouts have been few and far between. I havent seen VD and Delaine line-up in the backfield with a RB yet. So many things you could do with those two lined-up in a full-house type of set. So far, I've seen very little West Coast in this offense. And we need to get away from the RB being the primary outlet in the flats. Teams have started to key in on this and are taking the option away. Its lead to sacks in two consecutive games now.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Here's a perfect example of where the lack of offensive creativity REALLY bothers me...

Smith was sacked on this play.

Four 49ers running routes.

All covered.

Deepest route is 6 YARDS!!!!

Only route that isn't a "stop" route is the screen.

Even if one of these guys is open, it's likely for a short gain because YAC isn't a goal of these routes. It also keeps every defender in small areas making it more difficult to complete passes.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
one could argue that's a well done headline.
If it was KSK I would understand but coming from the Mercury News, when they were visiting a children's hospital, gets a big SMH from me. Just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Here's a perfect example of where the lack of offensive creativity REALLY bothers me...

Smith was sacked on this play.

Four 49ers running routes.

All covered.

Deepest route is 6 YARDS!!!!

Only route that isn't a "stop" route is the screen.

Even if one of these guys is open, it's likely for a short gain because YAC isn't a goal of these routes. It also keeps every defender in small areas making it more difficult to complete passes.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/qui...-3-quick-reads
Quote:
Smith threw the shortest passes of Week 3. His average ball went just 4.7 yards past the line of scrimmage. The leader was Joe Flacco, whose average pass traveled 11.7 yards downfield.
Frustrating to see plays like the one Phlysac posted. Brings back memories of the Jimmy Raye era. It is also frustrating to feel like the 5 step/7 step deep drop back passes are pretty much eliminated with how terrible the pass blocking has been.