Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I am not really worried about the offense. The passing offense is improving in my eyes and the running game is already elite. The reason we don't have many passing yards isn't because we can't pass, it is because we haven't needed to yet. When we have needed to pass the offense has looked good doing so. I will worry if we come to a game where we need to do so but can't. Until then I maintain that we are so low in yardage because we are last in pass attempts.
The 49ers are terrible at converting third downs via the pass though. And just because we aren't passing the ball a lot doesn't necessarily mean we will be able to on a consistent basis or if we get into a shootout with a team like New Orleans or Green Bay. We've seen offenses in the past able to pound the rock like we are currently and pass the ball for huge numbers. I think Harbaugh is minimizing Alex Smith's impact on the game because he can't carry this team game after game at this point in his career.

And that's not a jerk comment against Alex. In the last game against the Redskins he made some good throws and was on point. His receivers dropped a few key passes. I'm actually starting to change my perspective in terms of what's going on. With this approach I think it's working out and may help Alex down the line. It's starting to remind me of Ben Roethlisberger and his first year at quarterback for the Steelers...who averaged around the same yards per game that Alex is currently. As a matter of fact, Roethlisberger didn't average 200 yards per game his first two seasons. Other guys like Steve McNair during his early early years with Eddie George come to mind as well.

The Giants will be another good test.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 11-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The 49ers are terrible at converting third downs via the pass though.
We aren't converting many third downs running the ball, either.

Quote:
And just because we aren't passing the ball a lot doesn't necessarily mean we will be able to on a consistent basis or if we get into a shootout with a team like New Orleans or Green Bay.
I am not saying we can, either, I am saying that we haven't shown if we can or cannot yet. The few times we have had to pass, though, we have done so fairly successfully. Until the point comes that we really need to pass the ball and cannot do so I am going to operate under the assumption that we haven't done so because we haven't needed to.

Against Seattle, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Washington we jumped at to an early lead and coasted the rest of the game and when two of those teams got close, Seattle and Cleveland, we went right down the field and put them away. Frankly I did not feel we were ever in danger of losing any of those games.

Against Philadelphia and Cincinnati we needed to pass the ball in the second half because we were far behind, Philly, or because the running game wasn't effective, Cincy, and we came back to win both of those games.

Against Dallas we jumped out to an early double-digit lead, started coasting until the Cowboys tied it and then took another double-digit lead before the defense blew it.

The one game where we haven't passed the ball very well when we seemed like we were trying to do so was Detroit but we still won that game.

Quote:
We've seen offenses in the past able to pound the rock like we are currently and pass the ball for huge numbers. I think Harbaugh is minimizing Alex Smith's impact on the game because he can't carry this team game after game at this point in his career.
Can Smith carry a team for a whole season? Likely not. But I do believe that he has the ability to carry a team for periods of time when he needs to do so.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-08-2011 at 08:29 AM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We aren't converting many third downs running the ball, either.
Do you know the percentages? I'm guessing we've had to pass more on third down than run the ball and that the times we have run the ball we've been more successful on third down than the times we've passed. Passing is a bigger concern to me because it's a passing league.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have to go game-by-game for that, I don't know any place that has it, but a quick look at NFL.com says that we have gotten a first down on 52 of our 246 rush attempts and gotten one on 71 of our 228 pass attempts.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 11-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Listening to ESPN radio and one guy (Tom Waddle?) has his top three teams in the NFC being the Saints, Packers, and the Atlanta Falcons. They asked him if they purposely left out the 49ers, and he says he thinks that Harbaugh has done a great job, but he can't count on Alex Smith in crunch time.

Unfortunately it's going to be on his shoulders whether we like it or not.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Football Outsiders showing Alex Smith some love this morning:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/qui...-9-quick-reads
Quote:
When the new quarterback rankings come out today (unless the Monday night contest radically skews opponent adjustments), Smith will rank 13th in passing DVOA, 15th in DYAR. In his past 16 games, he's completing 62 percent of his passes for 7.2 yards per attempt, with 22 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, and a 93.8 quarterback rating. Yes, he's a legitimate starting quarterback now.
They will have him rated as a top 15 passer in their overall rankings.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Listening to ESPN radio and one guy (Tom Waddle?) has his top three teams in the NFC being the Saints, Packers, and the Atlanta Falcons. They asked him if they purposely left out the 49ers, and he says he thinks that Harbaugh has done a great job, but he can't count on Alex Smith in crunch time.

Unfortunately it's going to be on his shoulders whether we like it or not.
Him having the Falcons on there is just laughable they are not a very good football team much less tops in the NFC.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Him having the Falcons on there is just laughable they are not a very good football team much less tops in the NFC.
Yeah I guess the Giants just left the NFL.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah I guess the Giants just left the NFL.
If people can stay healthy we could be better off. We got people back after the BYE week, and things are better. The 4 Cbs on IR is a pain in the butt especially against those passing teams. But this team has exceeded expectations once I had to change them before the season after all the injuries.

Hopefully, the other fools can play this week, so we have Bradshaw, Prince, Nicks, and Baas play. If we do lose, I'd rather it be with the guys in then with the guys out.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
If people can stay healthy we could be better off. We got people back after the BYE week, and things are better. The 4 Cbs on IR is a pain in the butt especially against those passing teams. But this team has exceeded expectations once I had to change them before the season after all the injuries.

Hopefully, the other fools can play this week, so we have Bradshaw, Prince, Nicks, and Baas play. If we do lose, I'd rather it be with the guys in then with the guys out.
Cant wait for this game Sunday. Its going to determine whether or not we get the second seed or not. If we beat the Giants, we'll be three games ahead including the tie breaker. We're currently two games ahead of the Saints and I think that we'll finish better than them so it all comes down to the Giants game this Sunday. Hopefully, my 49ers can pull out the victory. :)
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think that the Niners could lose this game and get the #2 seed; I just don't want to have to consider that scenario as I want them to win.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I still think that the Niners could lose this game and get the #2 seed; I just don't want to have to consider that scenario as I want them to win.
I agree! I think even if we win, we can still not have the # 2 seed due to schedule and still playing the division teams. Unless we go on a streak, which is possible, I think this game is a good game for us, but even if we win, you guys can easily still get the 2nd seed.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just hope this game will be on LIVE cable this week.Tired of watching this the 49ers online sadly I can't afford the Sunday ticket right now.Maybe next season.I'm a little worried we might choke in the 4th.If our defense secondary can hold Eli off the field then we got this game hands down.Looking ahead at a real good game this Sunday.Maybe our passing game take off too ( crosses fingers) GAME ON!
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like this matchup for the Niners. I saw a stat where Eli is at his best passing when the defense sends 5 or more rushers his way. Since the Niners usually can get pressure with four that really favors them. Defensive wise for the Giants I also read that the Giants linebacking corps has been awful this year. The only guy raelly having a decent year is Michael Boley and that's only in coverage.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really like this matchup for the Niners. I saw a stat where Eli is at his best passing when the defense sends 5 or more rushers his way. Since the Niners usually can get pressure with four that really favors them. Defensive wise for the Giants I also read that the Giants linebacking corps has been awful this year. The only guy raelly having a decent year is Michael Boley and that's only in coverage.
Just wondering where you read that? Our LBs haven't been great or anything, but they definitely haven't been awful, Boley's been very good as a tackler and blitzer, Jaquain Williams has had some huge games, although with how raw he is he's also been very quite in others. Jones has been a mediocre mike, but he's not on the field much, which is actually a big part of our poor run D this season as we've spent an absurd amount of time with 5 or more DBs on the field. Add to that Tuck getting hurt so Osi finds himself out there on and he doesn't defend the run anymore.

Kiwi's been disappointing, but only because a few of us expected him to be having the dominant season JPP is having.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I just hope this game will be on LIVE cable this week.Tired of watching this the 49ers online sadly I can't afford the Sunday ticket right now.Maybe next season.I'm a little worried we might choke in the 4th.If our defense secondary can hold Eli off the field then we got this game hands down.Looking ahead at a real good game this Sunday.Maybe our passing game take off too ( crosses fingers) GAME ON!
http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2011/wk10.html
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Just wondering where you read that? Our LBs haven't been great or anything, but they definitely haven't been awful, Boley's been very good as a tackler and blitzer, Jaquain Williams has had some huge games, although with how raw he is he's also been very quite in others. Jones has been a mediocre mike, but he's not on the field much, which is actually a big part of our poor run D this season as we've spent an absurd amount of time with 5 or more DBs on the field. Add to that Tuck getting hurt so Osi finds himself out there on and he doesn't defend the run anymore.

Kiwi's been disappointing, but only because a few of us expected him to be having the dominant season JPP is having.
One of the niners beat writers in a q&a with a giants beat writer. If I can find the link I'll post it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Not true at all. Our Mike has been on IR before the season. Boley is having a pro bowl year, and Kiwi just won defensive player of the week. Because of injuries we have to play rookies. Greg Jones, and J. Williams, so they have started to adjust now. Early on it was hard watching them run around, but things are clicking. Osi came back, Tuck is healthy, and prince should be playing this week. So finally things are falling into place.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The new gameday thread will be up later tonight.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And again fox hates the dam WA state wtf FOX.I'm sure the Seattle game will be on dang it.I was hoping to watch a good game on the big screen gr to being broke lol. oh well online again this week. thanks thi abaddon .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Sorry, nation. At least there should be some quality streams this week since most of the nation is getting the game.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Friday afternoon and no gameday thread I demand answers.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've had some family issues come up. Hopefully tonight. Sorry :(

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

49ers don't have a receiver in the top 65. We'll be lucky to have one of our receiving targets get 700 yards this season.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
49ers don't have a receiver in the top 65. We'll be lucky to have one of our receiving targets get 700 yards this season.
Anything else?