Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
I'm sorry, but that pretty much means OLB should be the highest priority. We don't even know if Aldon will turn into an every-down player, and Haralson is weak in all areas. Haralson can't really cover, can't pass rush, is unathletic, and he's ok at playing the run. The only reason Haralson hasn't been booted is because Aldon isn't ready yet. Having those two starting would be a huge red flag. I really hope they sign Brooks.
So you seriously believe we wasted a #7 pick on a guy who we didnt believe would be a every down player sooner rather than later? I mean have you actually watch the times when Aldon has dropped into coverage? He looks athletic, doesn't take false steps and looks pretty good already reading the QB's eyes and locating receivers in his area. Why wouldnt he be every down player? You make it sound like he has to be Manny Lawson in order to start. News flash, Brooks isnt some great guy in coverage. He's given up more than his fair share of catches this year. Its one of the reason we mainly use Whitner on TEs. None of these guys a going to be great in coverage. Aldon doesn't start because he sucks in coverage. He doesn't start because Fangio had a plan and wanted to bring him along slowly, as he learned not only how to play at this level, but the scheme and his responsibilty in the scheme. I think that's the part your forgetting.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
So you seriously believe we wasted a #7 pick on a guy who we didnt believe would be a every down player sooner rather than later? I mean have you actually watch the times when Aldon has dropped into coverage? He looks athletic, doesn't take false steps and looks pretty good already reading the QB's eyes and locating receivers in his area. Why wouldnt he be every down player? You make it sound like he has to be Manny Lawson in order to start. News flash, Brooks isnt some great guy in coverage. He's given up more than his fair share of catches this year. Its one of the reason we mainly use Whitner on TEs. None of these guys a going to be great in coverage. Aldon doesn't start because he sucks in coverage. He doesn't start because Fangio had a plan and wanted to bring him along slowly, as he learned not only how to play at this level, but the scheme and his responsibilty in the scheme. I think that's the part your forgetting.
No, I believe he's saying that Smith + Haralson < Smith + Brooks.

Also, if Brooks doesn't resign, Haralson and Smith will be the only OLBs on the roster.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't know why people think we need front-3 help.

Justin Smith
Isaac Sopoaga
Ray McDonald

Ricky Jean Francois
Ian Williams
Demarcus Dobbs
Will Tukuafu

There's a reason it's the best run defense in the NFL. Where's the weak spot?

With FA being a big thorn, CB, WR, and Safety are likely to be the weakest positions on the team.

Sure, I'd love a top interior O-Lineman, but the team has used a TON of high draft picks on the position already and they still have Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person to fit into the mix.
No. QB is the weakest position on the team.
PatrickWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need another elite pass rusher at OLB to match up with Aldon, who is leading the team in sacks...as a backup in his rookie year. Kid is going to be a monster and needs a bookend monster.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:

Also, if Brooks doesn't resign, Haralson and Smith will be the only OLBs on the roster.
No he said Aldon might never be a starter because of his "coverage". Lmao at that. Maybe we should sign manny Lawson for his coverage skillz, eh?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

WR is not an issue. Talk to any scout and they will tell you that there is plenty of talent at the skill position. You got 2 TE's who run 4.4's, matchup nightmares. You got a receiver with very good power, rac ability in Crabtree. Braylon is hurt, but when healthy has put a turd like Derek Anderson in the pro bowl. Kyle Williams would kill in the slot.

The 2 weaknesses are

1) QB. This is obvious, as we are dealing with a fraud game manager. Slow release, awful footwork within the pocket, spotty accuracy.

2) Tackles. I'd like to keep Anthony davis because he can run block but we need an upgrade over Staley for the blindside.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yup, that's what I'm saying. I don't like Haralson much at all, and I'm not ready to rely on him. I really don't think he does much of anything very well. I like Brooks a lot though, without him OLB becomes top priority as Aldon is still developing.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yup, that's what I'm saying. I don't like Haralson much at all, and I'm not ready to rely on him. I really don't think he does much of anything very well. I like Brooks a lot though, without him OLB becomes top priority as Aldon is still developing.
OLB is already a priority because we only have 3 on the roster. What Im saying is losing Brooks would not be the end of the world for this defense. I like Brooks alot and hopes he resigns but he is not a game-changer. He plays very well within our scheme but he is a cog in the machine. Willis is a game-changer. Justin Smith is a game-changer. And yes, Aldon Smith and his 11 sacks are game changers. Any of those guys miss a extended period of time and this defense will see a drop-off somewhere. Brooks, not so much. I love his nose for the ball and his overall play but it isn't like your replacing some elite talent. I would like him to be paid like a very good cog, but I suspect someone will be willing to pay him like he is a game-changer and he will walk.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWillis View Post
No he said Aldon might never be a starter because of his "coverage". Lmao at that. Maybe we should sign manny Lawson for his coverage skillz, eh?
here's his entire post...

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that pretty much means OLB should be the highest priority. We don't even know if Aldon will turn into an every-down player, and Haralson is weak in all areas. Haralson can't really cover, can't pass rush, is unathletic, and he's ok at playing the run. The only reason Haralson hasn't been booted is because Aldon isn't ready yet. Having those two starting would be a huge red flag. I really hope they sign Brooks.
He said "we don't know" and "yet." Why make generalizations?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
here's his entire post...

He said "we don't know" and "yet." Why make generalizations?
Because he believes coverage skill from a guy like Aldon is important.

He is a pass rusher. At some point he will be rushing 90% of the time while dropping back on the rare zone blitz. Look at fangio's scheme. He plays a lot of 2 man and some zone concepts but rarely dishes out the exotic blitz. People who worry about coverage with him are clueless. How was Kevin Greene's coverage? How does Tamba Hali(who I think he is most similar to) drop back? Pointless BS.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, basic reading comprehension. I never said coverage is a high priority for Aldon or that he's not starting b/c he can't cover like Manny Lawson (lol), I said it's good to have an all-around guy like Brooks on the other side since Aldon is mainly a passrusher, Haralson should not be that guy. wtf.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
wow, basic reading comprehension. I never said coverage is a high priority for Aldon or that he's not starting b/c he can't cover like Manny Lawson (lol), I said it's good to have an all-around guy like Brooks on the other side since Aldon is mainly a passrusher, Haralson should not be that guy. wtf.
Yeah, nice cover up. Lol
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Alex is a top 10 QB dooooood. Quit ur hating bro.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, nice cover up. Lol
yeah dood. Totally "covered" it up.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
yeah dood. Totally "covered" it up.
Quote:
We don't even know if Aldon will turn into an every-down player

A statement like this presumes that you do not think that right now Aldon is an every down player.

I would disagree, as pass rush is the most important trait of a 34 outside backer. Very rarely do you see the Ware's, Orakpo's, Hali's of the world drop back.

Haralson happens to be very stout at the POA and a strong player when he is kept fresh. His play has been solid this year, and he is getting snaps because Aldon is a rookie.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

We might as well trade Aldon Smith. Never know if he's an every down player, so he's a bust.

Trade Crabtree, slow and cant run routes.

Trade Haralson, guy doesnt do anything well.

But yes, definitely, we should re-sign Alex Smith for year 8, 9 and 10 because his QB rating is teh awesomez...

Who would be a worse GM? Binary or Terry Donahue?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
A statement like this presumes that you do not think that right now Aldon is an every down player.
Neither does the coaching staff, Maiocco, Barrows, or Eric Davis. I love Aldon and would want him to start ASAP, but if this staff doesn't feel he's ready than neither do I. Even Fangio has come out in press conferences and said he needs to work on a few things and has a ways to go, I'll take his words over yours.

Yeah let's go ahead and trade all these players that I've been slightly (if that even) critical of, because that's the solution I've been proclaiming this whole time. Another example of your inability to debate without letting your emotional bias overtake your statements, leading to outlandish generalizations. Other people disagree with other people on here all the time, it's not that difficult to do it with some sort of maturity.

Last edited by binary : 12-12-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Neither does the coaching staff, Maiocco, Barrows, or Eric Davis. So now you're just presuming stuff inaccurately about what I've said. I love Aldon and would want him to start ASAP, but if this staff doesn't feel he's ready than neither do I. Even Fangio has come out in press conferences and said he needs to work on a few things and has a ways to go, I'll take his words over yours.

Yeah let's go ahead and trade all these players that I've been critical of, because that's the solution I've been proclaiming this whole time. Another example of your inability to debate without letting your emotional bias overtake your statements, leading to outlandish generalizations. Other people disagree with other people on here all the time, it's not that difficult to do it with some sort of maturity.
1).....Who the hell cares what Maiocco thinks? The same guy that defended Derek Smith's play for how long? The same guy who defended Mike Nolan as a coach for how long? Sorry...That guy's opinion is fairly useless, IMO. Barrows is a twat as well, and the funny thing is these 2 are BEAT WRITERS. Their opinion shouldn't really matter, or be seen, because their job is to report facts on the team. Eric Davis, while I have not heard much of him, seems to sound like a lot of other former players that don't have much clue as to what they're talking about.

And "if the staff doesn't feel that way".....Never really thought much of blind faith in the staff. I mean sure, they know a lot more football than you or I do, but even Bill Walsh made mistakes in player evaluation.

2) You need to get over the sarcastic comments. You need to realize this is the internet. When you see stupidity....Sarcasm is never really a bad thing. As for maturity.....It's the internet. Lighten up jasper.

P.s. ... I seem to remember you doing the same thing at 49ers news after we started 8-1.

"We're going 0-16 and need to suck for Luck". Remember you making those sarcastic comments. Same thing as I'm doing, really.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

As for 49er analysts...I heard Dwight Clark after the rams game call Crabtree's route running "precise" and "exceptional". But surely, his opinion doesn't matter since he disagrees with you, right?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
WR is not an issue. Talk to any scout and they will tell you that there is plenty of talent at the skill position. You got 2 TE's who run 4.4's, matchup nightmares. You got a receiver with very good power, rac ability in Crabtree. Braylon is hurt, but when healthy has put a turd like Derek Anderson in the pro bowl. Kyle Williams would kill in the slot.

2) Tackles. I'd like to keep Anthony davis because he can run block but we need an upgrade over Staley for the blindside.
Not gonna bother arguing with you about Smith because you are obviously just trolling but WR is definitely an issue. Crabtree is making it abundantly clear that he is not a #1 WR and Braylon is going to be gone next year. Davis, who I love, has been pretty good this year and Walker is good but really overrated by a lot of 49er fans. Kyle Williams definitely has potential but with him, Crabtree and a healthy Morgan we still don't have a go-to receiver.

As for the second comment, lol. Staley is our best offensive lineman and Davis is our worst, when Rachal is out.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eric Davis, while I have not heard much of him, seems to sound like a lot of other former players that don't have much clue as to what they're talking about.
Got it. Note to self: Do not use former players as a reference when arguing points in the future.

Quote:
As for 49er analysts...I heard Dwight Clark after the rams game call Crabtree's route running "precise" and "exceptional". But surely, his opinion doesn't matter since he disagrees with you, right?
Oh.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patrick Wills I think we all understand your viewpoint on Alex Smith pretty clear now but I want to hear what is your solution to the QB problem? What QB's would you target in the upcoming draft, FA or through trade to improve this team?
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
Got it. Note to self: Do not use former players as a reference when arguing points in the future.

Oh.
Notice I did it BECAUSE....Binary seems to love other analysts opinions instead of his own. I used his own logic against him.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Not gonna bother arguing with you about Smith because you are obviously just trolling but WR is definitely an issue. Crabtree is making it abundantly clear that he is not a #1 WR and Braylon is going to be gone next year. Davis, who I love, has been pretty good this year and Walker is good but really overrated by a lot of 49er fans. Kyle Williams definitely has potential but with him, Crabtree and a healthy Morgan we still don't have a go-to receiver.

As for the second comment, lol. Staley is our best offensive lineman and Davis is our worst, when Rachal is out.
1) Trolling? No. Another excuse. Crabtree has shown plenty of times this year that despite his speed, he can create separation deep with his precise cuts on double move and burst off the LOS. There has not been a receiver in football that has been overthrown or underthrown more than Crabtree has. I wouldn't say he's top 10 in terms of talent but I would put him in the top 20. He'd have 1100+ yards with a competent QB.

2) Walker is not overrated. He might just be our best player after the catch in space, and that's saying something. He runs past most defenses, if you noticed that 1st offensive play vs the Ravens he ran past their whole team but your boy Alex Smith decided to check it down for 2 yards. Lol.

3) Joe Staley gets abused quite often. Not sure how you could say he's our best lineman. Best lineman don't get beat as often as staley does. The one thing he is good at is moving in space on the toss sweeps. His inline blocking is poor, and he gets eaten alive in pass protection. Davis is not a good pass protector at all but he can run block with the best of them. Hence why I'd be fine keeping him at RT and finding a replacement for Staley.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Patrick Wills I think we all understand your viewpoint on Alex Smith pretty clear now but I want to hear what is your solution to the QB problem? What QB's would you target in the upcoming draft, FA or through trade to improve this team?
Obviously I would love to trade up and get Barkley. I know USC QB's have been overrated in years past but I feel really good about Matt Barkley's ability to actually throw receivers open, not run into sacks(you know, DECENT movement within the pocket) and doesn't seem to have accuracy issues.

There's also 2 other guys I like that we could get in Late round 1, those being Ryan Tannehill and Kirk Cousins. Tannehill would be a semi-project as he is a converted WR but he has shown some natural passing skills at A&M this year. He has an outstanding arm, very good footspeed for the position and has good movement within the pocket. Cousins is a guy who won't wow you at all with physical skill, but he is deadly accurate on the intermediate routes, has a very quick release, and can elude the rush with the best of them.

In free agency I would target Matt Flynn from the packers, as from the little I have seen him he has much better accuracy both intermediate and deep than Alex, and a quicker release. Doesn't telegraph his throws or stare receivers down.

Now as for Alex Smith, people think I am trolling or "hating". Simply not true.

My problems with him are this:

-Horrible deep ball accuracy. Especially to the far sideline.

-Pocket movement. I'm serious. People LOVE to place all the blame on the line. But take a look at how Tony Romo operates in the pocket, then watch Alex Smith's footwork. There is a world of difference.

-Plays with no urgency. Now EVERYONE (including me) blamed all the clock management issues last year on old Jimmy Raye. Yet, it turns out, Alex Smith seems to just LOVE to waste timeouts whenever his fragile psyche is confused by the look of the defense. And how many delay of games have there been? This is inexcusable stuff. And since it's happened with two staffs already I'm not so sure it's the coordinators fault.

-Lack of throwing receivers open, backshoulder throws, etc...

I have YET to see Alex Smith throw a pass before the receivers break to create maximum separation. All the elite guys do this regularly. But not Alex. It seems like all the big plays we've had this year are a product of "rub design', which means Alex doesn't throw it until the receiver is wide open. This also hurts the YAC, as it allows the defense that extra second to close on the receiver/ball carrier.

- Release. His release is very slow. Not sure how even his most hardcore fans could dispute this. Release plays a big factor in being able to make stick throws.

Bottom line: I just want a quarterback who shows some natural passing skill. A quarterback who is not going to create a bunch of sacks on his own clueless movement in the pocket.And a quarterback who does not suffer from his mechanics failing every 4 or 5 games.