Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So it was a rumor......coo.

PFF released their indiviual rankings for all our defensive players and Goldson graded out as being the weakest link on our defense. I can't put too much stock into their rankings because I think their formula for ranking DBs and Safties is a tad flawed but it brought me to a convo I was having with a fellow Niner fan at work.

Should we bring back Goldson and give him a long-term deal? Goldson proved this past off-season that he thinks highly off his skillset and wants to be one of the top paid players at his position. So anyone here thinking he sticks around for a fair contract is kidding themselves. So I ask you, is Goldson worth it? Personally I dont think so. To me, Goldson is the epitome of a boom or bust type of player. He's either going to make a play or give up one. Im not really found of the angles he takes in coverage and I think he misses far too many tackles. His 6 picks are great but still would like someone a little more stout in coverage on the back-end. I really wanted us to go after a Jim Leonhard but Im not so sure after he torn his patella tendon in his knee and will end up on IR for the second consecutive year. Leonhard is a sure tackler who is sound in coverage and is always around the ball. He has a little more range than Goldson, though he is also smaller than him too. I typically like a taller FS, and Leonhard is only 5'8 but I just like the way he plays the game. You rarely see him out of position or get fooled by a opposing QB. He wouldn't be that physical intimidator Goldson is. Not too many woo hits coming from Leonhard but I think he causes problems for opposing offenses with his speed and his smarts. But like I said, he will now have that "injury-prone" label on him so its buyer beware.

And if we do let Goldson walk, who in free agency do you think we could sign to come in and play as good, if not better than him? Aside from Leonhard, is there anyone else worth taking a look at?
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Colin Jones will be the savior of our secondary if Goldson follows the money.

Maybe not, but somebody has to be the guy that was calling for him to move up.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Colin Jones will be the savior of our secondary if Goldson follows the money
he's the lowest safety on the depth chart.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
he's the lowest safety on the depth chart.
Bah, details.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are probably 20+ teams in the NFL that would kill for Dashon Goldson.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heres how Goldson ranks amongst all 32+ NFL Free Safeties...

Tackles - 16th (Is to be expected with his style of play and how stout the Front-7 is)

Forced Fumbles - Tied for 7th
Passes Defensed - 2nd
Interceptions - 2nd
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way Goldson should be worse than Whitner or whoever is starting opposite Carlos Rogers. But I could see him being a bottom three member of our defense, though that is only because our front seven is so good.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
You have a point.....sortta. He's better than average. And most NFL safties are average. That being said, would you make him the higest paid safety in the league? Because that's what its going to take to bring him back in my opinion.

And I would love for Jones to make a giant leap in the off-season and show us he could become that Jim Leonhard-type in a few years. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. Actually their stories are kind of similar. Lowly draft prospects who weren't given a real shot at making a NFL roster at their respective position. Made the mark early in their careers due to their STs prowless. Speedy, heady players. Could be something there......

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 12-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
No way Goldson should be worse than Whitner or whoever is starting opposite Carlos Rogers. But I could see him being a bottom three member of our defense, though that is only because our front seven is so good.
Why shouldn't he be worst than Whitner? Whit is one of the big reasons are defense is improved. If you gonna give Whit flack for not being able to cover TEs, well most SS can't cover TEs in this league, especially good ones. And he's held up pretty good in those one-on-one situations, all things considered. Without Whitner, Goldson doesn't have those 6 picks. Whitner does a myrid of things for our defense. Alot of it just goes unoticed. Just Whitner's presence means Goldson doesn't have to be the one locked on TEs in man coverage. He can roam in Cover 1 and hawk the ball. Or maybe you don't remember how it was having guys like Taylor Mays or Michael Lewis back there getting raped every week.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Smith and Goldson are free agents. So Smith could be the replacement. He was tearing it up in training camp, but then he was set back by his injury.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, Reggie Smith has never really impressed me. He just seems like a backup ... or a Cowboys safety.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't want to give Goldson a mega contract, but he's earned it. I mean six interceptions is pretty nice for his position and he's really thriving now that this entire defense is playing well. The front seven is allowing him to make a lot of plays. He gets turnovers. He's not great in coverage, but how many safeties in the NFL are really great in coverage? Like really, really good? So good that you'll feel comfortable against the deep ball every time. The only one that comes to mind in my opinion is Ed Reed, but he's a Hall of Famer. Good safeties are hard to come by. This is the best safety play we've probably had since Tim McDonald and Merton Hanks.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Workin on the new gameday thread. Should be up in a couple of hours.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

The New Gameday Thread is up.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I know they are other potential suitors for him, but if that were the case, they would have "killed" for him in FA this last year. He has a value, but if he gets greedy (with wanting too many years or too much per year), he's replaceable.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Don't want to give Goldson a mega contract, but he's earned it. I mean six interceptions is pretty nice for his position and he's really thriving now that this entire defense is playing well. The front seven is allowing him to make a lot of plays. He gets turnovers. He's not great in coverage, but how many safeties in the NFL are really great in coverage? Like really, really good? So good that you'll feel comfortable against the deep ball every time. The only one that comes to mind in my opinion is Ed Reed, but he's a Hall of Famer. Good safeties are hard to come by. This is the best safety play we've probably had since Tim McDonald and Merton Hanks.
Wow, that's a throwback.

I worry that Dashon's success this season is monetary motivation. He's shown flashes up to this point in his career, but how much of this is scheme vs his improvement as a player? I'd say if the Niners let him walk, then they know if he's worth it or not.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
You make a valid point. I just wish he was more sound. IMO your FS should be one of the best if not the best tackler on your defense. Goldson is arguably one of the worst tacklers on the team. Thats a big sticking point with me. He too often over-extends himself trying to make a hit or being too aggressive when just flowing to the ball under control and wrapping up would make a world of a difference. And there are few safties that I think are good and could thrive with this front seven. The question is does Baalke think so? Does he think Goldson is unique or a player thriving because of the personel around him?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Wow, that's a throwback.

I worry that Dashon's success this season is monetary motivation. He's shown flashes up to this point in his career, but how much of this is scheme vs his improvement as a player? I'd say if the Niners let him walk, then they know if he's worth it or not.
It might be scheme, but we're going to play that game we should let Alex Smith walk too. Harbaugh and company are simply putting players in the best position to succeed. If they do let him walk, I'll trust the 49ers judgement. I have a feeling both sides are going to get a deal done though.

Quote:
Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
You make a valid point. I just wish he was more sound. IMO your FS should be one of the best if not the best tackler on your defense. Goldson is arguably one of the worst tacklers on the team. Thats a big sticking point with me. He too often over-extends himself trying to make a hit or being too aggressive when just flowing to the ball under control and wrapping up would make a world of a difference. And there are few safties that I think are good and could thrive with this front seven. The question is does Baalke think so? Does he think Goldson is unique or a player thriving because of the personel around him?
Well good unique players are hard to find. Players that can do well regardless of scheme, etc. If you have your hands one of those rare gems, you probably have a Hall of Famer on your hands, or someone close to it. If you don't have one of those guys, then the next best option is probably finding guys that fit your system and are successful doing it. Goldson may be thriving in this system because of help from the front seven, but I don't think it really matters. He's have a good season, and still pretty young. We'll see what happens. I won't be mad if he leaves, I'll just hope that we can makeup for a lot of the plays he's made for the team this year.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Braylon Edwards' Twitter, he has been released...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
According to Braylon Edwards' Twitter, he has been released...
Strange timing with Walker, Williams, and Ginn all being hurt. Has to be more to this story. Brett Swain is in for a boost of playing time now and be interesting to see who SF signs to take Edwards spot. Only thing I don't like is how Teddy Ginn becomes are number 3 WR now.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy to see Edwards released as he was a waste even when he was healthy.

Think that its time to give a call to Moss and/or Owens. :)
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Happy to see Edwards released as he was a waste even when he was healthy.

Think that its time to give a call to Moss and/or Owens. :)
I hope you're joking with your last comment. This isn't Madden.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Strange timing with Walker, Williams, and Ginn all being hurt. Has to be more to this story. Brett Swain is in for a boost of playing time now and be interesting to see who SF signs to take Edwards spot. Only thing I don't like is how Teddy Ginn becomes are number 3 WR now.
Maybe Swain has looked better and they want to get him more playing time? Edwards just looked bad to the point where he was not only making plays, but he was hurting his own team with penalties. He also seemed lost with the offense.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Not really a surprise. Forget the big name, he's been terrible and a non-factor pretty much all year. Although it seems the reason for his bad play had more to do with injuries than skill. I guess we'll promote Reuland or Hastings from the PS now.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 12-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote