Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The UFA WR's who I remember being overpaid (since '05) on the market were:
Donte Stallworth
Bernard Berrian
David Givens
Antwaan Randle El
Joe Jurevicius
Jerry Porter
TJ Houshmandezadeh
Laveranues Coles

Might be missing a few others but digging through the past FA lists those are the UFA I remember getting a big deal. Combined all the WR's listed above have had 4 1,000 yard seasons (Coles had 2, TJ Hou had 2) before they hit the market. Has the past proven that high paid WR's flame out? Yes, but also the quality or lack thereof may also contribute to why WR's on the open market flame out. Which would be bad signs for guys like Garcon, Meachem, Robinson, and Manningham who have had similar careers to some of the guys listed above.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
The UFA WR's who I remember being overpaid (since '05) on the market were:
Donte Stallworth
Bernard Berrian
David Givens
Antwaan Randle El
Joe Jurevicius
Jerry Porter
TJ Houshmandezadeh
Laveranues Coles

Might be missing a few others but digging through the past FA lists those are the UFA I remember getting a big deal. Combined all the WR's listed above have had 4 1,000 yard seasons (Coles had 2, TJ Hou had 2) before they hit the market. Has the past proven that high paid WR's flame out? Yes, but also the quality or lack thereof may also contribute to why WR's on the open market flame out. Which would be bad signs for guys like Garcon, Meachem, Robinson, and Manningham who have had similar careers to some of the guys listed above.
In three seasons, Wallace has had two 1000 yard seasons but look at his TD's..an average of 8 per year. And quite honestly, Wallace is better than all those guys, has more upside and potential and compare the teams that those WR's went to and who was around them on offense to who would be around Wallace. Davis, Crabtree, Williams, Walker, Gore and Hunter are probably better than any offense those guys went to. Also, how many of those guys were only 25 years old when going to their new team? Maybe Coles but he was traded as an RFA and then traded back to the Jets for Moss. But seriously, our offense is good but needs that offensive playmaker to become great and let Alex develop even more than he did in 2011.

All these second tier receivers arent going to help us because none of them would force defenses to double team them or are playmakers. Its like cloning Crabtree almost. No point. And while a guy like Colston, Vincent Jackson and Bowe would easily be our number one WR, when you look at their age and that they would probably want more money than Wallace, Wallace becomes the better option and yeah, giving up our first rounder is a big deal but because its 30th, its not huge. I would have no problem getting Wallace because I would have far more confidence in him than any rookie at 30 or any of those three receivers because of the age difference.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am definitely on the Wallace bandwagon. Mainly because he wants to play here. With that said, it's not worth crippling the team with cap issues to get it done.

May Maraathe be with you
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I am definitely on the Wallace bandwagon. Mainly because he wants to play here. With that said, it's not worth crippling the team with cap issues to get it done.

May Maraathe be with you
Sums up my thoughts as well. If the 49ers are able to front load the deal enough to where Pitt can't match for the first year and keep it around Santonio Holmes money I'm for it but anything more and they should walk away.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the idea of the Niners giving up a high draft pick for a player (like Wallace) but he is a young, great player in a position of need. As a deep threat, I'm just concerned that the Niners will be able to utilize him in their offense, which was conservative overall this last year. With an offseason with Harbaugh coaching, how much can Alex improve? More importantly, with more time and an offseason to work more together, will Harbaugh loosen up the reigns, allowing Alex to take more downfield chances? For Wallace to be worth the pick/money they'd need to invest, they'll need to allow him to take the top off the D, which will open up more chances for Crabs, VD, and Morgan.

I still think the Niners will get outbid for Wallace and have to look at other cheaper options at WR, but we'll see. I don't see how the Steelers will find a way to franchise him.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I still think the Niners will get outbid for Wallace and have to look at other cheaper options at WR, but we'll see. I don't see how the Steelers will find a way to franchise him.
That's the catch-22. It's up to Wallace and his agent to decide what contract offer they provide the Steelers with an opportunity to match.

Wallace doesn't have to go to the highest bidder, but the the team he wants based on the offers. It's then up to the Steelers to match the one he's chosen.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Doesn't look like SF will get a shot at Mike Wallace. Big Ben restructured his contract to save $8 million in cap room for the Steelers.

Jason LaConfora believes that the Chargers will end up placing the franchise tag on Vincent Jackson.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/23/in-t...with-chargers/

So very likely no Bowe, Jackson, or Wallace. I want Stevie Johnson but at this point I wouldn't mind letting the market set itself before SF dives into the WR market.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can anyone help me with this? http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...t=51159&page=2

It's basically about taking a RG in Rd. 1... I think Cordy is a good pick based on how that draft plays out... am I wrong?
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Steelers were around $25m over the salary cap before they started restructuring players contracts and even if they get under the cap, they'll still need $9.4m to franchise tag Wallace and if they dont have that, no way they extend him either so even with Roethlisberger restructuring his contract, I still think that Wallace will be gone. The bigger question is where and for how much?

And the Steelers front office is dumb. They have this situation with Wallace and will be in the exact same situation next off-season with Brown and Sanders. Personally, they should release some of the old guys on offense and defense, keep the young receiving trio intact and use 2012 to rebuild and clear the cap penalties from releasing the veterans. At least, thats what I would do because they seem to just keep putting themselves in a bigger hole.

Anyway, with that said.....I still think that Wallace will be gone and I read the other day that Wallace is also good with inside slants which is perfect since the WCO has a lot of them. Imagine Wallace catching a five yard slant, getting away from the defender, running up the middle of the field for a TD? That would be awesome.

Right now, DeSean Jackson is still head of Wallace because he'll be an UFA but since I know DeSean will be franchised, im focusing more on Wallace. I dont know about others here but I would offer Wallace a 5 year/$40-$50m deal. Basically, $8-$10m a year with the most money now and in 2013 so PIT cant match and because we have the cap room. I think that Bowe, Vincent Jackson and Colston will want the same or more especially if any combination of the three gets franchised which is $9.4m. Bowe will be 28 in September, Jackson just turned 29 this past January and Colston will be 29 in June.

Wallace will be 26 in August and since he's at least two or more years younger than those three with a bigger upside and adds the element that we need the most at WR, he's easily worth the money. Granted, trading away the 30th overall draft pick in addition to the long term contract is a lot to give up for one player but when you weigh the positives and negatives, the positives easily outweigh the negatives.

Another reason the 49ers should go after Wallace is because after 2013, half of our starting defense will be UFA's. Add in Sopoaga next off-season and we have a two year window to win a SB. Add in the fact that our schedule is tougher in 2012, our division will improve (or should improve) and that we're no longer under the radar, the team must go nearly all out.

I'm not looking or hoping for a bunch of top tier UFA's (like I usually do every year, lol), just one. And his name is WR Mike Wallace.

Dont know about anyone else here but I would re-sign the following UFA's that we have -

1) QB Alex Smith
2) OLB Ahmad Brooks
3) FS Dashon Goldson (or franchised)
4) KR/PR/WR Ted Ginn
5) RG Adam Snyder
6) ILB Blake Costanzo
7) FS C.J. Spillman (RFA, extend)
8) CB Tramaine Brock (ERFA, extend)

Would tender ILB Larry Grant (RFA) at the 2nd round level.

The first four MUST be re-signed in my opinion for various reasons. Snyder should also be re-signed but if he demands too much money, then I would let him leave. Would try to re-sign Costanzo but if he wants too much money, I let him leave too. Spillman is an RFA and I would try to re-sign him for two years. Same with Brock. Any UFA that I didnt list, I would allow to leave as an UFA.

In regards to free agency, as everyone here knows, im hoping for WR Mike Wallace. After him, if we can sign DB Jason Allen, I would be happy going into the draft. Wallace becomes our number one WR with Crabtree second and Williams in the slot where he's better suited. Ginn returns as the 5th receiver but I mainly re-sign him for his return skills. Dont know who the 4the WR would be but im guessing mid round draft pick or Hastings.

Allen replaces Rogers and can play the slot while Brown and Culliver start on the outside. Brock returns as the dime back. Spencer will be released or traded. Front seven, everything remains the same except Aldon starts opposite Brooks with Haralson coming off the bench. If Aldon struggles in September as a full time starter, I start Haralson in October and put Smith back as a situational pass rusher. If Aldon can be just as effective as a three down player, him and Brooks would be a damn good and superior combination compared to Haralson and Smith.

Back to offense, everyone else stays the same except at RG depending on Snyder. If he's gone, I would try to sign a veteran for a year and hope that Kilgore can start in 2013.

Speaking of 2013, we will have five UFA's. TE Delanie Walker, NT Isaac Sopoaga, NT Ricky Jean-Francois, CB Shawntae Spencer and P Andy Lee. If our RFA's get extended to at least two seasons, the only RFA that would be an UFA next year would be Grant and while I would love to keep him, im hoping for some team, any team to make him an offer so we can get their second rounder and here's why - I would use our two second rounders or a 2nd and 3rd to move back into the first round for TE Coby Fleener. Next, I trade Walker to the highest bidder during the same draft because I think that Walker will be gone next off-season. This way, he gets replaced by a Jimmy Graham type player for at least four years, we get a draft pick for Walker and that would lessen our UFA's in 2013.

Offensively, Wallace, Crabtree, Davis, Williams, Fleener, Gore and Hunter could be one hell of an offense and with Wallace opening up defense's secondary, we should score at least an extra TD to what we averaged in 2011.

Back to next off-season, with Walker traded and Spencer to be released or traded this March, we would only have three UFA's. Lee is a definite re-signing as is Ricky Jean-Francois. Sopoaga becomes the wildcard because of his age and money he may want.

This is why I go after Wallace. Next off-season will be used to re-sign Sopoaga, Francois and Lee but more importantly, extend our UFA's in 2014 which include DE Justin Smith, OLB Parys Haralson, ILB Navarro Bowman, CB Tarell Brown and SS Donte Whitner. On the bright side, ninercaphell.com projects the salary cap to be $150m next off-season so we would have plenty of cap room to re-sign/extend our core.

With our offense and defense set for at least two years, we'll be in great position for the future and considering draft picks, probably wont need to replace anyone major for a few years but this is why I let a guy like Rogers walk now, keep the younger guys and put whatever money would go towards Rogers to Wallace instead.

Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Doesn't look like SF will get a shot at Mike Wallace. Big Ben restructured his contract to save $8 million in cap room for the Steelers.

Jason LaConfora believes that the Chargers will end up placing the franchise tag on Vincent Jackson.

So very likely no Bowe, Jackson, or Wallace. I want Stevie Johnson but at this point I wouldn't mind letting the market set itself before SF dives into the WR market.
Well, a lot of these receivers are going to have their original teams push hard to keep them. And receivers like Colston and/or Mike Wallace who are in a good situation in a nice offense might take a tad bit less to stay with their original team instead of going somewhere where they might have a little more money, but be miserable due to their production dropping.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was thinking Bowe might sneak into free agency and he was #1 potential UFA WR on my list. With the Chiefs signing Routt, it kills the need to franchise Carr and allows them to focus on franchising Bowe. The damn Raiders mistakes are not helping us....again!

It's looking like Colston and Stevie Johnson will be some of the best options at WR. They both have talent and Colston fills the need I've stated for a BIG, possession/red zone threat, but I don't think that either of them are a true #1 WR and I don't believe the Niners will pay #1WR $ for either of them.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Can anyone help me with this? http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...t=51159&page=2

It's basically about taking a RG in Rd. 1... I think Cordy is a good pick based on how that draft plays out... am I wrong?
To be clear on my point, gpngc, Glenn is a good player and I can see the decision to make him the pick. I would just be frustrated at using another top-50 pick on an interior lineman. I'm hopeful that Daniel Kilgore projects to be the answer at the RG slot.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
To be clear on my point, gpngc, Glenn is a good player and I can see the decision to make him the pick. I would just be frustrated at using another top-50 pick on an interior lineman. I'm hopeful that Daniel Kilgore projects to be the answer at the RG slot.
Gotcha. So it's something that you could see happening, but you wouldn't be thrilled with.

Exactly what I hope transpires on draft day because I'm a fan of the fagget Seahawks.

But thanks for the help.

Last edited by Borat : 02-26-2012 at 12:18 AM.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post

Garcon inching that much closer to being in a Niner jersey, lol....wishful thinking at least.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

Won't happen. Not a interior lineman at 30. Someone will fall...either a CB, or a WR....maybe a pass-rusher that nobody expected and we'll jump. Or I could see somebody trading back into the first for said player. I could defintely see Baalke trading out of 30. I would actually love it if we did.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Won't happen. Not a interior lineman at 30. Someone will fall...either a CB, or a WR....maybe a pass-rusher that nobody expected and we'll jump. Or I could see somebody trading back into the first for said player. I could defintely see Baalke trading out of 30. I would actually love it if we did.
Wait a minute? Trade up or down from 30? And if you're trading out of the first round, why not trade the pick to PIT for Wallace? See, crap like this makes no sense to me.

Instead of trying to win a SB NOW, management thinks they can just stay as is and get the job done. And im tired of hearing of how those signings last summer worked out because if they didnt, everyone would be saying the opposite and that the team needs to spend money on some top tier free agents.

Just imagine if we had a true number one WR against the Giants or a speed threat like Wallace. We win that game and go to the SB and most likely win that too but yet, everyone is always looking for the cheap way out which isnt getting you anywhere. And it wasnt the signings that helped the 49ers go 13-3, it was Harbaugh and his coaching staff that helped us go 13-3. Put Nolan/Singletary as the HC with the exact same roster, we're 6-10 at best, period.

NOW is the time to take a chance and grow a pair of balls and make a ******* move that actually makes sense and gives us the weapon we need on offense. Everyone says that we need a big red zone target but amazingly, no one has mentioned the fact that if you're getting TD's off of big plays down the field (like having a speed WR like Wallace), you wont be in those crappy situations to begin with and even if you are, you have Davis and could always throw inside slants like Smith did with Crabtree against the Saints.

Personally, Colston/Bowe/V. Jackson would be our number one WR but I think that almost any FA WR will be our number one WR but the difference is would you rather pay $8-10m for a WR who's 28 and older or a player who's 26 and younger? I rather go with the younger guy but thats just me.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Garcon wouldnt be bad but he's another Crabtree and not a true number one WR. The receivers that I think would be our number one WR automatically would be Bowe, Colston, Jackson (either one), Wallace and Stevie Johnson. I dont think any other WR signing would be number one. Either tied for number two for Crabtree or another Crabtree type possession receiver.

Either way, I have a feeling that I wont be happy in a few weeks but since its my team, I wont be surprised either.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Well, a lot of these receivers are going to have their original teams push hard to keep them. And receivers like Colston and/or Mike Wallace who are in a good situation in a nice offense might take a tad bit less to stay with their original team instead of going somewhere where they might have a little more money, but be miserable due to their production dropping.
I think Colston will be gone. He's going to want to get paid because chances are, this will be his best (and perhaps only) shot at getting a big long term contract. Situation with Wallace is different because if PIT cant franchise him, they obviously wouldnt have the money to extend him either. Like I said, I think that Wallace will be gone. It just comes down to where and how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I was thinking Bowe might sneak into free agency and he was #1 potential UFA WR on my list. With the Chiefs signing Routt, it kills the need to franchise Carr and allows them to focus on franchising Bowe. The damn Raiders mistakes are not helping us....again!

It's looking like Colston and Stevie Johnson will be some of the best options at WR. They both have talent and Colston fills the need I've stated for a BIG, possession/red zone threat, but I don't think that either of them are a true #1 WR and I don't believe the Niners will pay #1WR $ for either of them.
I think that every top tier WR will be franchised except for Colston. Only other one would be Wallace but since he's an RFA and everyone who wants Colston wont be paying attention to Wallace, thats when I would make him a damn good offer. Stevie Johnson is 50/50 on getting franchised but see, here's the thing....49ers management needs to think of this - whats a better move, paying a 31 year old CB who'll most likely decline and be Clements part two or putting that money which would obviously be spent anyway on Rogers towards a young number one WR?

I see Rogers asking for at least $7m+ per season and I dont see the point of paying him that much when for $3m more you can get your number one need who's five years younger and at a position of greater need.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

The fact that you think Stevie Johnson is a "true" #1 WR is laughable Dan. That guy has the worst hands in all of free agency. We have guys who we both like so it is what it is. You haven't watch much football outside the Niners so i won't beat a dead horse, but Garcon is a better WR than Wallace, Johnson and a slew of others. I don't care about stats, I watch guys play and I think Garcon does the things that could only enhance this offense. Remains to be seen if management feels the same way.

And yes, I meant trade back, out of pick 30. Who says our first pick has to be a WR? I've maintained from the beggining this WR class is very deep. No reason we can't get our guy in the second or third that we really like as well. I believe your beloved Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick. Talent can be had anywhere in the draft, if you do your homework.

All this talk about "our window" just seems rather premature. We have a young team with alot of young talent as the necleus. We dont need to, nor will we be, big players in free agency. You scout well, draft well, and your window will always be open. That's what Baalke believes in and that's how we'll stay in contention, year after year. Before when we had lackluster talent and a shaky front office, we had to lure established free agents to come here and help turn the tide. Those days are gone. Now we've drafted a number of talented players and have a good structure in the front office, established some success on the field, and have brought in a HC who commands respect around the league. Now we can afford to pick and choose who best fits what we're trying to do to sustain success for the long haul. There is a method to the madness, whether you want to believe it or not.

In other news, we just re-signed Spillman to a three year deal. Not a major signing but I like Spillman and it helps keep continuity with our personel while maintaining our depth along the back-end. All the pieces matter....

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/...ys-with-agent/

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spillman is a great signing, he was terrific on special teams this year. The staff believes he could be Whitner's eventual replacement.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Spillman is a great signing, he was terrific on special teams this year. The staff believes he could be Whitner's eventual replacement.
I think Spilman will be looked at as the primary back-up to FS. They gave him back-up money so I see him moving up the depth chart as the nickel safety.....the role R. Smith had last year. Remains to be seen if he can take the next step and become the heir apparent at either FS or SS but this does show that the staff like his potential. Still leaves us shy of some bodies on the back-end though. We will still have to replace Madieu Williams and R. Smith, but signing Spillman falls right in line with Baalke's motto of spending money on our own talent. Hopefully Brooks will be next....
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya
The fact that you think Stevie Johnson is a "true" #1 WR is laughable Dan. That guy has the worst hands in all of free agency. We have guys who we both like so it is what it is. You haven't watch much football outside the Niners so i won't beat a dead horse, but Garcon is a better WR than Wallace, Johnson and a slew of others. I don't care about stats, I watch guys play and I think Garcon does the things that could only enhance this offense. Remains to be seen if management feels the same way.
I never said a true number one. I said that Johnson would be OUR number one receiver and since he's better than Crabtree and bigger playmaker, I would say thats accurate. Garcon is good but he's not a playmaker. Only time he was a playmaker was when he had Manning, etc. and no one knew who he was. He's not the deep threat we need. He's more of a possession receiver than a deep guy and we already have the possession receiver in Crabtree. No reason to add another Crabtree. As for stats, I do care about stats because stats tell you if the player has improved/declined and is consistent. Wallace is consistent and will get better as he gets older. Carlos Rogers and those older receivers arent going to get better. They are what they are and thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya
And yes, I meant trade back, out of pick 30. Who says our first pick has to be a WR? I've maintained from the beggining this WR class is very deep. No reason we can't get our guy in the second or third that we really like as well. I believe your beloved Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick. Talent can be had anywhere in the draft, if you do your homework.

All this talk about "our window" just seems rather premature. We have a young team with alot of young talent as the necleus. We dont need to, nor will we be, big players in free agency. You scout well, draft well, and your window will always be open. That's what Baalke believes in and that's how we'll stay in contention, year after year. Before when we had lackluster talent and a shaky front office, we had to lure established free agents to come here and help turn the tide. Those days are gone. Now we've drafted a number of talented players and have a good structure in the front office, established some success on the field, and have brought in a HC who commands respect around the league. Now we can afford to pick and choose who best fits what we're trying to do to sustain success for the long haul. There is a method to the madness, whether you want to believe it or not.
If we go into 2012 with an average WR core, we aint doing crap and will be nowhere near matching 13-3. Talent can be found in other rounds but the difference is that with the draft, its 50/50 where as signing a free agent, you already know what you're getting. Drafting a rookie receiver isnt going to help us whatsoever in 2012.

The method is the fact that the 49ers are cheap, plain and simple and when they do spend money, its on the wrong player or an old guy who they just want to keep intact with the rest of the core. And im not looking to go nuts in free agency, I just want one guy and the one guy I want is the one guy we need the most at the position we need the most who gives us what we need the most at that position. As for that two year window, next year will be used to re-sign our UFA's in 2014 which means that we wont be going after anyone next year which is why this year is the year we need to go after a number one playmaking speed receiver on the outside.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uhhh, Dan, the cap is going up $30 ******* million dollars next year. I doubt the team is one bit concerned about having enough money to address any of the issues you have brought up in regards to signing/re-signing talent.

Maybe you don't know this, but the 49ers cap guy/contract wizard Parag Marathe is like the Greek God of contracts. He navigates the salary cap like Shy Love navigates a greased-up meatpole.

I have ZERO fear of signing any FA to any contract the team deems necessary. We're annually one of the teams with the most salary cap space for a reason. And no, it's not because they are "cheap." That crap was rebuffed years ago. It's Parag's brillance that will keep the 49ers' window open a hell of a lot longer than 2 years.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Uhhh, Dan, the cap is going up $30 ******* million dollars next year. I doubt the team is one bit concerned about having enough money to address any of the issues you have brought up in regards to signing/re-signing talent.

Maybe you don't know this, but the 49ers cap guy/contract wizard Parag Marathe is like the Greek God of contracts. He navigates the salary cap like Shy Love navigates a greased-up meatpole.

I have ZERO fear of signing any FA to any contract the team deems necessary. We're annually one of the teams with the most salary cap space for a reason. And no, it's not because they are "cheap." That crap was rebuffed years ago. It's Parag's brillance that will keep the 49ers' window open a hell of a lot longer than 2 years.
Yeah, I know that the cap is going up $30m next off-season but with a lot of players scheduled to be UFA's in 2014, I see them using that extra $30m to re-sign those players which means that it will be highly unlikely that we go after any top tier FA next off-season regardless of who it is or position which is why im hoping for Wallace this year.

Seriously, is a playmaking WR too much to ask for?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I think Spilman will be looked at as the primary back-up to FS. They gave him back-up money so I see him moving up the depth chart as the nickel safety.....the role R. Smith had last year. Remains to be seen if he can take the next step and become the heir apparent at either FS or SS but this does show that the staff like his potential. Still leaves us shy of some bodies on the back-end though. We will still have to replace Madieu Williams and R. Smith, but signing Spillman falls right in line with Baalke's motto of spending money on our own talent. Hopefully Brooks will be next....
I'm aware of that I was stating the reasons why he was brought back.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote