Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
September needs to get here meow!
Today is the final team workout until training camp. So close but yet so far.........meow.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From all the reports i've read from May till now, it seems AJ Jenkins and Colin Kaepernick are struggling the most. That's supposed to be our QBOTF and top WR so hopefully they can step it up.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
From all the reports i've read from May till now, it seems AJ Jenkins and Colin Kaepernick are struggling the most. That's supposed to be our QBOTF and top WR so hopefully they can step it up.
Meh, not worried in the slightest. They(Jimbaugh/Chryst) are tweaking CK's throwing motion, trying to speed up his delivery. I expect some accuracy issues when things of that nature occur. It would be one thing if they reported he's having trouble reading defenses, throwing alot of pics into coverage, having trouble grasping the offense. That isn't the case. CK is still a project to this point. A unfinished product. The fact they haven't said a word about his inability with the mental aspects of the position is a big positive. It was never CK's ability, physically that worried me. That part will come. I was much more concerned about him grasping a complex NFL offense and understanding where to go with the football. That part, it seems, hasn't been a issue.

As far as Jenkins, understand that this was a pick for the future. He isnt a guy that will be asked to do what All-Done did last year....which is step on the field an immediately contribute from Day 1. One of the first things I said about Jenkins was he had to get stronger to really be able to play at this level. That should be a focus of his this season. Most of the stuff I've read points to his inconsistent hands. He's looks a stud first rounder on one catch, a fringe player the next drop. I'm not too worried about his hands though, alot guys experience issues with drops early into their transition into the league. I would also add, if we really were expecting Jenkins to contribute early, I doubt we would have thrown him knee deep into the playbook and asked him to learn all 3 WR positions at once. Im almost positive he would have been brought along more slowly in that aspect, as in how we did All-Done last year. Like I said, way too early for anyone to worry about either player.

**EDIT**
Quote:
Just when you're ready to write that a quarterback has been off target this spring, he goes and has an excellent practice. That quarterback was Colin Kaepernick, who stood out among the four 49ers passers and had, on the final day of minicamp, by far his best session of the spring (or at least any of the days that were open to the media.)
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...aepernick.html

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 06-14-2012 at 07:42 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't like the Jenkins pick. Whatever, Moss apparently looks awesome so I'm happy.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
I still don't like the Jenkins pick. Whatever, Moss apparently looks awesome so I'm happy.
Moss being awesome doesn't make me worry less about Jenkins. Moss is here for 1 year, Jenkins is supposed to be here for the long haul.

I'm just hoping Jenkins issues are a conditioning thing. Aldon Smith was throwing up in the June workouts last year and he went on to beast in TC about 6 weeks later (and of course had a great rookie year). So Jenkins is already ahead of the curve as compared with Aldon, but whether he can have a comparatively good year as a WR remains to be seen.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Moss being awesome doesn't make me worry less about Jenkins. Moss is here for 1 year, Jenkins is supposed to be here for the long haul.

I'm just hoping Jenkins issues are a conditioning thing. Aldon Smith was throwing up in the June workouts last year and he went on to beast in TC about 6 weeks later (and of course had a great rookie year). So Jenkins is already ahead of the curve as compared with Aldon, but whether he can have a comparatively good year as a WR remains to be seen.
IMO, Jenkins was a bad pick, there is nothing about him that says he could potentially be a #1 WR ever. At best, a see a good #2.

The difference between Aldon and Jenkins is that Aldon looked AMAZING on film, he was so quick and dominant, and he abused people with his hands...Jenkins film is ordinary, I saw nothing great about anything he did. He was pretty fast and had good hands, that's about it....I pretty much saw nothing after the catch either.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It has nothing to do with conditioning. Maybe in the first rookie camp that may have been a isssue but now not so much. All rookies dont hit the ground running. That's not anything alarming. That's actually the norm when you step up in competition. It took All Done around the Eagles game to really find his footing. Its a process, especially for guys who aren't polished. Jenkins isnt polished.

There's alot he has to work on. And I suspect when the pads come on, he'll struggle even more. But he wont struggle forever. I'd be shocked if Jenkins sees any significant game action this year. He has four very good WRs ahead of him on the depth chart and I dont see him making the type of impact in pre-season and TC to move in front of K-10, Crabs, MM, or Moss. Stranger things have happened but I just dont see it. And its not like we use alot of 5 WR sets on Sundays anyway so I see his impact this year being minimal at best. I doubt he even makes the 45 active on gameday, unless there's a injury to the four guys in front of him. But that's perfectly fine. I know most think your first round pick is supposed to have a immediate impact. But we addressed the WR talent and depth way before the draft.

IMO, Jenkins real impact wont be felt until 2013. That's what happens we you stack a roster fill of talent. Rookies arent relied upon nearly as much. So now Jenkins can work on the things he needs to before we need any real contribution from him. I guess some would look at that as a waste of a first round pick but that's not how I see it.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:52 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

More fuel for the Jenkins fire: He's getting outplayed by Undrafted Free Agents in Minicamp

Quote:
BIGGEST LETDOWN

A.J. Jenkins: The Niners first round pick looked like one of the worst wide receivers on the field most of minicamp. He didn’t play with the first or second team offense on Tuesday, and he didn’t catch a pass in scrimmages on Wednesday. He had trouble staying on his feet all three days, which was odd considering it was a non-contact minicamp. Overall, undrafted receivers Nathan Palmer and Bryan Tyms caught many more passes and made more impressive plays than Jenkins did. There’s no rush for Jenkins to produce, though, because there seem to be at least four good wide receivers above him on the depth right now – Crabtree, Moss, Manningham and Williams.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/...nicamp-review/
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sounds a little disappointing. At least he has a lot of mentors ahead of him to learn. He just needs to keep working hard and maybe things will start to go his way.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
That sounds a little disappointing. At least he has a lot of mentors ahead of him to learn. He just needs to keep working hard and maybe things will start to go his way.
Sounds like Rashaun Woods 2.0

Hopefully Jenkins doesn't quit to pursue fishing.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sounds like Rashaun Woods 2.0

Hopefully Jenkins doesn't quit to pursue fishing.
Yeah too bad Woods wasn't interested.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yet Harbaugh had this to say...
Quote:
He’s very into it, very gung-ho. Very fast – fast, fast. Excellent hands. He’s got the ability to get in and out of cuts with his foot speed and turn over. He doesn’t get stuck at the top of routes, he’s able to get out of those cuts. He’s right on track. A.J. Jenkins is going to be just fine.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry, I lost some respect for Harbaugh when he said that he didnt pursue Manning. Yeah right. Give me a break. Just admit it, apologize to Alex and move on.

As for Jenkins, its a wait and see approach with him because he was drafted for two years and beyond from now. He's not even much better than Ginn as a WR and thats just sad but at the same time, I care more about Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Williams right now.

I still would have preferred Fleener instead of Jenkins but again, im taking a wait and see approach.
dan77733 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I guess Harbaugh and company know something all the other observers don't.

Really though, a lot of receivers don't break out for a couple of years. And there are like four guys ahead of him. This is probably going to be a "meh" year for him anyways.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I too think Jenkins will be fine (eventually...i think he has potential to be a Santonio Holmes type). But i thought by now people would have learned not to use Harbaugh's press conferences as proof...

It took him a few years to break out in college so he probably won't be ready year 1. But its massively disappointing when UDFA's outplay him.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 06-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Enough already with the massive over-reaction to a Grant Cohn blog about a 3-day mini-camp review of one rookie. What we guys should be focusing on are a.) Alex has looked outstanding b.) So has Crabtree and c.) Young CBs Brown, Culliver, Brock, and Cox have really turned heads so far. Imagine us being 4 deep at CB with no real drop-off in talent? Crazy thought when you think about how stout the front seven already is. And that's been the theme from all the beat writers, not just one.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 06-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Enough already with the massive over-reaction to a Grant Cohn blog about a 3-day mini-camp review of one rookie. What we guys should be focusing on are a.) Alex has looked outstanding b.) So has Crabtree and c.) Young CBs Brown, Culliver, Brock, and Cox have really turned heads so far. Imagine us being 4 deep at CB with no real drop-off in talent? Crazy thought when you think about how stout the front seven already is. And that's been the theme from all the beat writers, not just one.
Nobody likes hearing our 1st round pick is being outperformed by UDFA's. Of course its a hot button issue.

But you're right, Cohn tends to sensationalize things. He whined when the 49ers passed on Fleener and said it was a "huge mistake" so there's some bias there against AJ Jenkins. So it wouldn't surprise me if Jenkins was better than what Cohn is describing. But there's 6 long weeks until TC, and even then there isn't much media availability, so none of us are really going to get a clear picture on how he improves for a while.

That being said, besides Kaep and Jenkins, all reports have been positive. Although in OTA's you can only really evaluate the passing game and secondary. Still, i expect all units of our team (esp an improved RB, OL, and WR corps) to perform at a high level this year.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

who the **** is Grant Cohn? I am kidding I know, I wish my dad could hook me up with a beat writer's gig.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/gran...-job-security/
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Amen to that. He seems to have an axe to grind over the Jenkins pick anyway. What a terrible piece of writing - not what you would expect form a professional journalist. And don't even get me started on that Anthony Davis thing.

Last edited by BandwagonPunditry : 06-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Sorry, I lost some respect for Harbaugh when he said that he didnt pursue Manning. Yeah right. Give me a break. Just admit it, apologize to Alex and move on.

As for Jenkins, its a wait and see approach with him because he was drafted for two years and beyond from now. He's not even much better than Ginn as a WR and thats just sad but at the same time, I care more about Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and Williams right now.

I still would have preferred Fleener instead of Jenkins but again, im taking a wait and see approach.
Interpertation of the english language is a lost art. What did Harbaugh say really? We didnt persue Peyton Manning. So clearly that depends on your interpetation of the word, 'persue'. Let us look at the facts. Who contacted whom? It has been reported from various sources that through his agent, Peyton expressed inetrest in becoming a Niner and set up a little workout for Jimbaugh. Did we persue him in this instance? No. Actually more like Peyton pursued us. Once Peyton expressed said interest, Roman and Jimbaugh flew to NC to, wait for it.....evaluate Manning physically. Once he passes the eyeball test details get kind of murky but even if we told Manning we're throwing our hat in the ring for his services, that strikes more so as a wait and see approach than a outright courtship. Contract details were never discussed. We didnt fly him out to visit the team headquarters like the rest of his suitors. Nothing really says we persued him other than us waiting on his decision like the rest of the football world. So like I said, its in how you interpret events that unfolded. But I personally never got the impression that we persued Manning as the media potrayed it. More so along the lines of, Hey Peyton wants to set up a meeting with us, couldnt hurt to kick the tires on a HOF QB so why not?

I ask you this, why did Baalke at every turn before the off-season got into gear, say we had zero interest in Manning? And if we truly had Manning on our radar all along, why did we offer Alex in the first place? Why was our first contract offer to a QB, Alex Smith and not Peyton Manning? Because we had no interest in Manning until he showed interest in us. I think Jimbaugh wanted to clear the air about excatly why they flew accross country. It wasn't to court Peyton Manning, it was to evaluate him, plain and simple.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Relax, be patient with the Jenkins pick, as in HarBaalke we trust.

It's going to be an amazing season. Looking forward to it!

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Interpertation of the english language is a lost art. What did Harbaugh say really? We didnt persue Peyton Manning. So clearly that depends on your interpetation of the word, 'persue'. Let us look at the facts. Who contacted whom? It has been reported from various sources that through his agent, Peyton expressed inetrest in becoming a Niner and set up a little workout for Jimbaugh. Did we persue him in this instance? No. Actually more like Peyton pursued us. Once Peyton expressed said interest, Roman and Jimbaugh flew to NC to, wait for it.....evaluate Manning physically. Once he passes the eyeball test details get kind of murky but even if we told Manning we're throwing our hat in the ring for his services, that strikes more so as a wait and see approach than a outright courtship. Contract details were never discussed. We didnt fly him out to visit the team headquarters like the rest of his suitors. Nothing really says we persued him other than us waiting on his decision like the rest of the football world. So like I said, its in how you interpret events that unfolded. But I personally never got the impression that we persued Manning as the media potrayed it. More so along the lines of, Hey Peyton wants to set up a meeting with us, couldnt hurt to kick the tires on a HOF QB so why not?

I ask you this, why did Baalke at every turn before the off-season got into gear, say we had zero interest in Manning? And if we truly had Manning on our radar all along, why did we offer Alex in the first place? Why was our first contract offer to a QB, Alex Smith and not Peyton Manning? Because we had no interest in Manning until he showed interest in us. I think Jimbaugh wanted to clear the air about excatly why they flew accross country. It wasn't to court Peyton Manning, it was to evaluate him, plain and simple.
Sorry but I dont believe that at all. Harbaugh and Baalke went after Manning and watched him work out and brought him in for a physical. I wouldnt do that unless I was interested in signing the guy. Smith was offered a deal but im sure his agent told him to hold off until Peyton made up his mind. The reason why we didnt sign Manning is because there was no way in hell that Baalke was going to match or surpass the contract that he received from Denver.

If they truly had no interest in Manning, they would have simply said, thanks but no thanks when Manning and his agent contacted Baalke/Harbaugh. Bottom line is that Harbaugh went behind Alex's back and tried to keep it a secret as he went after Manning. He didnt get him and now, Harbaugh is trying to act like he never had any interest in him to begin with. Yeah right.

If Harbaugh truly wanted Alex to return, he would have been signed before FA started. Not weeks later and after trying to sign Manning to replace him. Harbaugh also said that the salary cap would have prevented them from signing Manning anyway so why even continue with him after that first contact? Also, Harbaugh said that he even thought about having Manning AND Smith on the roster together but hmmmm, how's that possible when you dont have the money to sign Manning, let alone both and even more so, why would you even say that to begin with if there was never ever any real interest?

Sorry but I lost some respect for Harbaugh/Baalke because they made a stupid move trying to screw over Smith for no apparent reason and since they knew that they were never going to have the cap room to sign a player like Manning, why even start anything to begin with?

Bottom line is that Harbaugh wanted Manning to replace Smith, didnt get him and now he's basically just lying his ass off trying to cover it up and not screw up everything he accomplished in 2011.
dan77733 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Sorry but I dont believe that at all. Harbaugh and Baalke went after Manning and watched him work out and brought him in for a physical. I wouldnt do that unless I was interested in signing the guy. Smith was offered a deal but im sure his agent told him to hold off until Peyton made up his mind. The reason why we didnt sign Manning is because there was no way in hell that Baalke was going to match or surpass the contract that he received from Denver.

If they truly had no interest in Manning, they would have simply said, thanks but no thanks when Manning and his agent contacted Baalke/Harbaugh. Bottom line is that Harbaugh went behind Alex's back and tried to keep it a secret as he went after Manning. He didnt get him and now, Harbaugh is trying to act like he never had any interest in him to begin with. Yeah right.

If Harbaugh truly wanted Alex to return, he would have been signed before FA started. Not weeks later and after trying to sign Manning to replace him. Harbaugh also said that the salary cap would have prevented them from signing Manning anyway so why even continue with him after that first contact? Also, Harbaugh said that he even thought about having Manning AND Smith on the roster together but hmmmm, how's that possible when you dont have the money to sign Manning, let alone both and even more so, why would you even say that to begin with if there was never ever any real interest?

Sorry but I lost some respect for Harbaugh/Baalke because they made a stupid move trying to screw over Smith for no apparent reason and since they knew that they were never going to have the cap room to sign a player like Manning, why even start anything to begin with?

Bottom line is that Harbaugh wanted Manning to replace Smith, didnt get him and now he's basically just lying his ass off trying to cover it up and not screw up everything he accomplished in 2011.
We DID NOT go behind Alex's back. The have the same agent for crying out loud. How would that work? Alex himself stated Jimbaugh was upfront with him about the whole situation. I'll take the words out of his mouth over your specualtion. Alex said he would have welcomed the oppurnity to compete against a HOFer and that signing Manning would have in no way meant he would not have signed with us also. His trip to Miami was just leverage and he never really had any intent on signing there. In his own words I believe he said, "I had never been to Miami Beach, so why not"

Like I said, where did Harbaugh say he didnt want Manning? He said in the same interview that they wanted both Peyton and Alex. Read between the lines. Condon told Baalke what the asking price was for Manning intially so your whole premise that we didnt sign him because Baalke didnt want to pay that kind of money doesn't hold weight. Why even get involved in the first place? They never sat down a discussed numbers, just ballpark figures. So when did he have time to realize that Manning's asking price was too much? And why didt we pull out? Manning made the decision not to come here, we didnt decide to no longer be invloved so again, your arguement doesn't hold up. I never for one second believe Manning was leaving the AFC. The Niners were not a good fit for him, scheme wise. I always believed it and still do. I have my own theory as to the whole ordeal but thats really irrelevant. The point is just because Jimbaugh would have liked to have signed Manning, doesn't neccessarily mean the Niner brass realistically thought it was going to happen, or even gave the effort they usually put forth when going after a player. That's why I said the word "persue" can be interperted differently by some, in this instance.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 06-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Interesting.....

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/06...ense-minicamp/