Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Of course not, but this a football forum...if we don't discuss TC battles what are we going to discuss?
I'm just saying that assuming Ginn is going to get cut before camp has even started is odd. I guess if his injuries really derail him maybe. Even so I think he'd be put on the PUP list if it came down to it. I'd be shocked if he's not on the team though.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'm just saying that assuming Ginn is going to get cut before camp has even started is odd. I guess if his injuries really derail him maybe. Even so I think he'd be put on the PUP list if it came down to it. I'd be shocked if he's not on the team though.
I just like our UDFA WR's a lot. Thats why i think we'll have to squeeze someone out, and i chose a guy who we let walk around in FA for a week, one dimensional, and currently injured as the odd man out. I don't think its a 100% guarantee, but i also don't think he's a 100% lock either. It's just a surprise prediction.

Personally though, as things are right now, i like Ginn more than KW. Similar offensive production and much better/reliable return man.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 06-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Training camp hasn't even started yet. Ted Ginn is making the roster. He is our most reliable return man.
Two weeks ago, I was saying the same thing but I think I'm going to side with '87 on this one too. From all reports, it sounds like Palmer was really impressive in the spring. Now alot changes when pads come on and guys have to get off press coverage. But we have alot of options for returners. Cully, Palmer, Cox, LMJ, and Jenkins all have return ability on their resume. If guys like Palmer on Owusu continue to turn heads, I don't think you risk sending both of them through the wavier wire. Ginn is the best returner of them all but its obvious we were prepared to lose him this off-season. I suspect you wont see Ginn, if healthy, return one punt all pre-season. They'll use those 4 games to audition the names I mentioned and see if its worth it to cut ties with Ginn. But if either Palmer or Owusu turn heads in pre-season, it may force Ginn out the door. Especially if they see the Palmer, Jenkins, and Owusu trio as the future. I think you can stash either one on the PS for year. Not both though. Not if both flash in the pre-season.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 06-26-2012 at 08:57 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Personally though, as things are right now, i like Ginn more than KW. Similar offensive production and much better/reliable return man.
K-10 has flashed alot more at WR than Ginn ever has in a Niner uni. You have to remember, last year was essentially his rookie year, as most of his first year was wiped out with injuries. I can't hang him for one game. Sure he made two awful decisions(well three really) but its been widely reported that Jimbaugh asked Williams to "make something happen" in the return game because the offense was so bogged down. So is that player's fault or is that coaching? Idk, but I DO know that in the second Seattle game, K-10 single-handledly changed field position in the return game several times, which a big reason why we were able to pull off that victory so he's flashed in the return game as well.

I didnt write off K-10 as a returner forever, after the NFCCG. He's was young and inexperienced and it showed at the wrong time for us. Sure it was hard to watch.....but so was that offense.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they would keep 6 WRs (bet they wish they did last year) before they would cut Ginn.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Im saying they still keep six and cut Ginn if the UDFA WRs continue to impress
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that this year they may have more players on offense. Last year I think they had 6 safeties, so maybe they may have 6 WRs barring injuries.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Im saying they still keep six and cut Ginn if the UDFA WRs continue to impress
What reason could the team possibly have to cut one of the League's elite return men when he's cheap and isn't a hinderence to the depth of the position?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
What reason could the team possibly have to cut one of the League's elite return men when he's cheap and isn't a hinderence to the depth of the position?
But he is a hinderance if the team decides to go with long term potential at WR over a vet with short term potential but a vauable skill elsewhere. Like I said, TC will determine everything but we made no real effort to re-signed Ginn during free agency. He visited every team under the sun, and chose to return here for what Im assuming was a less than stellar offer, otherwise he would have never explored his options in the first place. That leads me to believe that his roster spot is in no way guanranteed. We were already prepared to move on without him. I think the Cox signing points to that as well. Cox was signed just as much for his ability in the return game as it was for his play at CB. And I think us potentially losing Ginn factored in on signing a guy like Cox. Like I said, it all depends on the UDFA WRs. If they look like keepers, Jimbaugh will have some tough decisions. If they don't, then its a moot point.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 06-26-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

I don't disagree at all with your premise. I just think that Ginn's value on ST simply cannot be diminished. I don't see how Ginn has less STs value than the likes of Colin Jones, Tavares Gooden, Rock Cartwright, etc.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't disagree at all with your premise. I just think that Ginn's value on ST simply cannot be diminished. I don't see how Ginn has less STs value than the likes of Colin Jones, Tavares Gooden, Rock Cartwright, etc.
His value isn't less than theirs neccesarily. And none of those guys are locks either. But none of those guys play at positions six-seven deep with young talent either. Sure they could possibly trim the fat elsewhere but it would utlimately come down to Williams or Ginn I guess. I just think Williams is going to very good sooner rather than later and if we cut him it would come back to bite us. Ginn has peaked as a offensive player and doesn't seem in our long term plans so thats why I see him as the odd guy out.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another team isnt going to snatch Palmer off the P-squad or waver wire unless he has the most insane preseason, he'll just be cut and signed to the practice squad and odds are he won't be a factor on the team because we're reading way too much into non-padded practices.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So has CK been a wasted pick so far?He has not seen any playing time in the season at all and has been having a been mini camp so far as well.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its his second year and there where enough reports that he was really good at the end of mini camp. He didn't have a offseason last year which makes the transition even harder and with such low scoring games like last season you dont put you rookie QB in the game when its not needed. Alex played a solid year without injuries so why you even want to think about him being a wasted pick i really dont understand.

He was picked as a project and do you really expect a second round QB to produce in the first year and blow your socks of in preseason? Thats really not realistic. Give him time and then you can maybe say its a waster pick.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
So has CK been a wasted pick so far?He has not seen any playing time in the season at all and has been having a been mini camp so far as well.
He has played in the regular season. Joshua Morgan broke his ankle trying to score on a pass from Kaepernick. As for this offseason, his touch and accuracy has been inconsistent on shorter routes but observers have swooned at the power of his arm, the quickness in which his passes arrive on target, and his ability to throw on the run.

Quarterbacks used to take 3-4 years before they'd see the field. Remember, Aaron Rodgers didn't start a game until his 4th season. Was he a wasted pick?

And how did you expect him to see the field? The 49ers' starting QB lead the team to 14 wins and an appearance in the NFCCG.

Patience.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Another team isnt going to snatch Palmer off the P-squad or waver wire unless he has the most insane preseason, he'll just be cut and signed to the practice squad and odds are he won't be a factor on the team because we're reading way too much into non-padded practices.
We could have said the same last year about Demarcus Dobbs, but he performed like a beast in the preseason and we didnt chance putting him on the PS.

Every year there are impressive UDFA's that make 53's across the league (we had 3 alone last year). He had a $10,000 signing bonus (highest of our UDFA's) and was apparently well-regarded across the scouting community according to adam schein (as well-regarded as a UDFA can be). If he impresses like Dobbs did last year, its no guarantee he makes it to the PS. If he's average or sucks than this is all a non-issue anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
He's currently #3 on the depth chart behind Moss and Crabtree. Had a solid spring, but Crabtree, Moss, and K-10 were the talk of camp, as WRs go.
Hey man, how are you? Hope your summer is going well. Sweet, I hope he does well. He has all the talent in the world just inconsistent and dumb as all heck.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Another thing on Palmer though. I was watching his highlights vid a couple weeks ago. And not that highlights are anything to be measured against. But honestly, he looks a little smoother than Jenkins. Not that Im suddendly weary of the Jenkins pick, not even. One thing you can see in Jenkins tape is he has strong hands and he makes catches in traffic and thats the main reason I like him. He makes alot catches with guys draped all over him....something alot guys struggle with coming from college to the pro ranks. But even when I watched Jenkins during the college season, I noticed he was always stubbling, losing his balance. Alot of it has to do with his basketball body. He's built like a PG right now. Can't stress how a good off-season strength program could do wonders for him. He really needs to get bigger, stronger and improve his balance. But with "Napalm", he has a smoothness to his stride and change of direction that's noticeable. At first I thought it was the lack of competition he faced, being from NIU, that made it appear that way. But in his highlights there's some footage of him making guys from Minnesota and Illinois look silly as well. And he's a better rapper than Brandon Lloyd so that's a plus, ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y0OSsSZKYg
Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Hey man, how are you? Hope your summer is going well. Sweet, I hope he does well. He has all the talent in the world just inconsistent and dumb as all heck.
My summer's off to a great start, thanx for asking. I expect Mario to show a little better in TC when the pads go on so no worries. But it wouldnt shock me if he remained the #3 guy if Moss contiues to surprise. He'll see plenty of opportunties either way.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Kevin Lynch on the WR's in camp

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/06/25/14193/

Nathan Palmer apparently looking "twice as good" as 1st rounder AJ Jenkins...I fear this will spark another Jenkins debate but thats not my intention, talking about our UDFA's specifically Palmer is..

Quote:
Palmer made an impression and looked to be twice as good as the struggling Jenkins. Crabtree looked consistent but didn’t stand out as much as Moss or Williams, and the same could be said for Manningham.
More on Palmer

Quote:
Also, Northern Illinois’ Nathan Palmer looks like a keeper as a rookie free agent and so does Stanford’s Chris Owusu.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 06-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am i the only one who thinks it's silly to panic about AJ Jenkins this soon? I mean geez, it's OTA's, lets wait til training camp/preseason.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

I remember how "amazing" Bryan Gilmore looked under the tutelage of Jerry Sullivan.

Offseason over-hype ftw!!!

Let's hope Palmer is legit, however.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
Am i the only one who thinks it's silly to panic about AJ Jenkins this soon?
No, I think OTAs are wildly over-analyzed.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Besides Nathan Palmer, other potential TC sleepers i like

-WR Bryan Tyms
-WR Chris Owusu (i really like all our UDFA WR's if you couldn't tell)
-QB Scott Tolzien (i think he'll overtake Josh Johnson)
-RB Brandon Jacobs (with our training staff, i can forsee a comeback year)
-S Michael Thomas

Just my predictions on some sleepers

I also like Perrish Cox a lot but i don't know if he qualifies as a "sleeper".

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 06-28-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
No, I think OTAs are wildly over-analyzed.
Agreed. Both ways. Just as skeptical of Moss sounding "amazing" and what that means for us this year as I am of Jenkins sounding like an "insta-bust" in OTAs... means nothing to me. I want to see how they preform on game day before I make any judgements. I hope Moss has been as good as advertised and, like I said before, I'm ok with Jenkins having some trouble right now as a rookie WR... especially if Moss has looked as good as advertised. We have enough depth at WR if so. Give the kid some time.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote