Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to try my best to do a gameday thread this week. I'm taking over a new company soon and the transition has been super hectic. I will try like hell to get one done for the Texans game!

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't even worry about it. It's preseason.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's see how well Tolzien performs against the Texan's 4th stringers.

Tolz to be #4 against Texans.

I'm assuming he and Johnson will alternate reps until one emerges.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm going to try my best to do a gameday thread this week. I'm taking over a new company soon and the transition has been super hectic. I will try like hell to get one done for the Texans game!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Notes from yesterday's practice. This is what I've been waiting to hear all along:

Quote:
Summary: Quarterback Alex Smith opened the 7-on-7 and team portions of practice on a hot streak. The ball rarely hit the ground in the first half of practice with Smith delivering on-target passes to a variety of targets, including two scoring passes to Randy Moss.

The only incompletion through Smith's first 25 pass attempts came when his throw to Moss along the back of the end zone slipped through his hands. The other throw up to that point that hit the ground was an incomplete pass intended for Ted Ginn. But Tarell Brown was called for pass interference on the play.

Smith and Mario Manningham picked up where they left off from practice Monday. The pair capped a two-minute drill with a perfect pitch-and-catch of a 33-yard pass down the right sideline against the coverage of rookie Deante' Purvis. Later, Smith and Manningham hooked up for another deep pass against Purvis and safety Colin Jones.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...91&feedID=5936

I hope Smith makes Cossell look like an idiot again this season.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Notes from yesterday's practice. This is what I've been waiting to hear all along:

I hope Smith makes Cossell look like an idiot again this season.
More optimism for ya Ness...

Quote:
Alex Smith throwing with better accuracy

SANTA CLARA -- Quarterback Alex Smith has looked good during the offseason months in previous years. But he has never looked quite like this.

His strong training camp continued Tuesday with an outstanding start to the 49ers' three-hour practice. The only incomplete pass among his first 25 attempts came when his toss to Randy Moss, running the back line of the end zone, zipped through Moss' hands.

Smith's next two incomplete passes were deep attempts to tight end Vernon Davis late in practice. Three of Smith's final four attempts were incomplete -- no need to sound the alarm.

Smith looks to be better at every aspect of his game. Obviously, with a year of experience working with Jim Harbaugh, Greg Roman and Geep Chryst, his knowledge of the system is better than ever.

Examining him with the naked eye -- usually from a hundred yards away, where the media is stationed during practices -- it's impossible to pinpoint any dramatic mechanical differences. But the Alex Smith I've seen through 14 practices has been noticeably more accurate with his short, intermediate and deep passes. He also appears to be quicker with his decision-making.

I'm not predicting a Pro Bowl season for Smith. But I am predicting the 49ers' passing game will be more formidable than a year ago when the team ranked 31st in the league in third-down conversions and 29th in passing yards.

The 49ers have surrounded Smith with better options. As written and talked about after the 49ers' exhibition opener, look for the 49ers to use a lot more variety in the passing game. Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis are the team's top targets, and expect Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to share time as the Nos. 2 and 3 wideouts.

Smith signed a three-year, $24 million contract in the offseason. His average salary places him in a tie with Matt Schaub for 18th-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. Schaub and Joe Flacco, whose contracts expire after this season, will likely bump Smith down to No. 20 next year.

Once thought to be worth nowhere near the financial investment of the No. 1 overall pick, Smith could become one of the best bargain players in the NFL if his training camp carries over to the regular season.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...89&feedID=5936
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Boone locking up the RG job according to Roman

http://twitter.com/MBachCSN/status/235837619441893377

Quote:
#49ers OC Greg Roman: "Alex Boone, as of right now Is winning the right guard job." Roman pleased with Boone's first preseason game
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Good for Boone. I'm a little nervous since he's so tall for a guard. We had Kevin Gogan who I think was 6'7 and he worked out okay. Hopefully Boone becomes a mainstay and we get a better performance out of him than we did Snyder and Rachal.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a fantasy football draft on the 1st of September. I am going to take so many 49ers.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...ential-49ers-2
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Nate Byham waived.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Nate Byham waived.
Maybe his not coming back from injury well, not DWalk's injury, caused them to sign the two TEs from earlier this week though one of those new signings has also already been waived.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Quote:
Summary: Quarterback Alex Smith began Thursday's practice on another hot streak. His only incompletion among his first 15 pass attempts in the 7-on-7 and team portions coming when fullback Bruce Miller dropped a pass that hit him between the numbers.
Quote:
Offensive play of the day: In a first-team vs. first-team drive situation, the offense was given the ball at the 40-yard line. It took Smith and tight end Vernon Davis all of one play to get into the end zone. Linebacker Patrick Willis had coverage on Davis, who ran a deep corner route, caught Smith's perfect throw in stride and took it the rest of the way for the touchdown.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...19&feedID=5936

Quote:
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Maybe his not coming back from injury well, not DWalk's injury, caused them to sign the two TEs from earlier this week though one of those new signings has also already been waived.
Definitely not coming back well enough, and the team probably needs the spot for someone else. McKillop and Adams went through the same thing last year.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Definitely not coming back well enough, and the team probably needs the spot for someone else. McKillop and Adams went through the same thing last year.
Yes, and they've had Byham and Holcolmb who have filled that role already this year. Too bad for them that they were inured as both those cats had some potential. It's hard to make this 53. Byham will catch on with someone else unless his recovery was worse than thought.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 08-17-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty sure Harbaugh moving Dobbs to play the third string TE was also a factor in waiving Byham. Its going to be fun seeing what the final 53 looks like after final cuts (and hopefully, EA doesnt screw it up in Madden, lol).
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
It's hard to make this 53.
Feels like it's been a while since that could be said of this franchise.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

49ers may want to IR Byham. The only way they are permitted to do that is if he clears waivers. It's Giants vs. Patriots with Jake Ballard.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
49ers may want to IR Byham. The only way they are permitted to do that is if he clears waivers. It's Giants vs. Patriots with Jake Ballard.
Perhaps that is their strategy but Ballard > Byham. They've got a better chance of keeping their guy, if that's their strategy. He may just not have a future with the team. We'll know if they IR him.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Feels like it's been a while since that could be said of this franchise.
It has been awhile and it's about time! It's our turn.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Perhaps that is their strategy but Ballard > Byham.
Only due to health. Byham was drafted in 2010 while Ballard was undrafted. Byham contributed at a much higher level in 2010. Who knows what Byham does if he's healthy and the Giants #1 TE in 2011.

None of it matters, and it's a poor argument. But if Byham was healthy he'd be on the field. I don't knock his ability when he's not yet recovered.

It's very possible the 49ers completely moved on.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
It's very possible the 49ers completely moved on.
I think this is most likely the case. The need for a "blocking TE" is damn near non-existent. With an improved WR core, a 3rd TE who can catch is no longer needed.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i say out with byham, in with the garbage man (reuland).

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
i say out with byham, in with the garbage man (reuland).
I'm not bashing the guy but what has he done? None of the #3 TE's have shown anything, really aside from Dobbs at DE.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sucks about the injuries but if there was one position we could probably afford guys getting banged up it would be RB. We'll bring in some bodies to hold us over for pre-season and if LMJ and Jacobs happen to be out for an extended time, maybe we kick the tires on a vet like Ryan Grant. Like what I saw from the 1's, hate the drops by WR core. JJ and Tolizen are in a dead heat. JJ looked solid. The last pre-season game will be the measuring stick for both.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote