Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-24-2012, 06:47 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

every time the Rodgers/Smith conversation comes up:

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't be a coward Brent. Pick a side. LOL.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So many variables that its hard to say where they both where when they would have been in the other situation. fact is that Rodgers had a "easier" transition to the NFL with sitting behind Favre with a good HC while Smith had a new OC every year with bad HC's.

Based on that i think Rodgers wouldn't have been as good as he is now while Smith might have been a better career till now.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:20 AM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i laugh whenever anybody defends Alex Smith over Rodgers.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My opinion, sad to say is... if you love Aaron Rodgers that much more than Alex Smith.... feel free to be a Packers fan. Alex Smith is the 49ers QB. Eff Aaron Rodgers!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting tidbit regarding Brandon Jacobs and the feared perception that he is a poor short-yardage runner...

Quote:
I was surprised to discover the 49ers ranked 32nd — as in last in the NFL — on third-and-short runs in 2011. San Francisco converted 27.1 percent of their attempts when running on 3rd-and-1 or 3rd-and-2. In addition, their touchdown percentage (35.3) on runs inside the 3-yard line ranked 27th.

Enter Jacobs, who converted 5 of 7 chances on third-and-short (2 yards or fewer) and was 17 of 24 on all short-yardage situations in 2011, according to Pro Football Focus. He was also 4 of 4 in short yardage in the preseason opener against the Vikings.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08...s-shortcoming/
Old 08-25-2012, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
My opinion, sad to say is... if you love Aaron Rodgers that much more than Alex Smith.... feel free to be a Packers fan. Alex Smith is the 49ers QB. Eff Aaron Rodgers!
Well there is no shame in giving credit where it's due. I love Aaron Rodgers the player, and I wish we had him, but we don't. Doesn't mean I love the Packers though. Smith will have to be our stop gap until we can upgrade the position. Either that or Smith magically becomes an All-Pro which I don't see happening.

Quote:
Interesting tidbit regarding Brandon Jacobs and the feared perception that he is a poor short-yardage runner...

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08...s-shortcoming/
I wonder where the 49ers ranked in the passing game on third downs overall.

Can you find that for me? Just curious.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Well there is no shame in giving credit where it's due.
Then please feel free to give some to your favorite team's QB. He deserves some.

Love ya, Ness but a Smith vs Rodgers debate after last season and the hopes of this offseason are really sour to me.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Then please feel free to give some to your favorite team's QB. He deserves some.

Love ya, Ness but a Smith vs Rodgers debate after last season and the hopes of this offseason are really sour to me.
He played okay. Sorry my friend, I'm used to the days of Steve Young, and even Jeff Garcia if I have to say so. Quarterbacks that could just take over games and straight up dominate passing for 300 plus yards on less than 40 attempts while having four touchdowns. That's a real quarterback.

Obviously Smith isn't the main problem, but there is a reason why he only got a three year deal instead of those inflated seven year contracts that Brees, Brady, and even Fitzpatrick get. As of this moment he's a game manager. He's not the kind of guy that will carry a team offensively through an entire season if the defense is middle of the pack and the run game falters. He isn't the franchise. We could be doing a lot worse I'll say that. I hate to rain on your parade, but it's how I see it. I hope he certainly proves me wrong, but he has a long way to go...assuming he ever gets there which I have doubts about.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
He played okay. Sorry my friend, I'm used to the days of Steve Young, and even Jeff Garcia if I have to say so. Quarterbacks that could just take over games and straight up dominate passing for 300 plus yards on less than 40 attempts while having four touchdowns. That's a real quarterback.

Obviously Smith isn't the main problem, but there is a reason why he only got a three year deal instead of those inflated seven year contracts that Brees, Brady, and even Fitzpatrick get. As of this moment he's a game manager. He's not the kind of guy that will carry a team offensively through an entire season if the defense is middle of the pack and the run game falters. He isn't the franchise. We could be doing a lot worse I'll say that. I hate to rain on your parade, but it's how I see it. I hope he certainly proves me wrong, but he has a long way to go...assuming he ever gets there which I have doubts about.
Don'tplay the "I'm used to Steve Young" card. I'm used to the days of Joe Montana and Steve Young. It shouldn't affect how I feel about my favorite team's QB 15-25 years later.

It's callled being spoiled and using that as an excuse whenever a QB isn't playing like a 1st ballot HOFer.

I'm not asking you to like Alex Smith. I'm asking that you save the drama about finding an opportunity to passive-aggressively bash your team's QB after they were in the NFC Championship game and are a common favorite to win it all in 2012.

It's sour grapes without any foreseeable way for your opinion to change. If he did all of the things you want (which he has already crushed many of the things you used to say he'd NEVER do) then you'd just come up with another list of ideals you'd want in your QB that he doesn't fulfill.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wonder where the 49ers ranked in the passing game on third downs overall.

Can you find that for me? Just curious.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/t...e=NFL&rank=098
Old 08-25-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don'tplay the "I'm used to Steve Young" card. I'm used to the days of Joe Montana and Steve Young. It shouldn't affect how I feel about my favorite team's QB 15-25 years later.

It's callled being spoiled and using that as an excuse whenever a QB isn't playing like a 1st ballot HOFer.

I'm not asking you to like Alex Smith. I'm asking that you save the drama about finding an opportunity to passive-aggressively bash your team's QB after they were in the NFC Championship game and are a common favorite to win it all in 2012.

It's sour grapes without any foreseeable way for your opinion to change. If he did all of the things you want (which he has already crushed many of the things you used to say he'd NEVER do) then you'd just come up with another list of ideals you'd want in your QB that he doesn't fulfill.
This!!!! Stop making so much sense!

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
Gracias. Another breakdown...

Quote:
#12 in NFC on 3rd down passing conversions, #23 overall.
#16 in NFC on 3rd and <3 yards, #32 overall.
#11 in NFC on 3rd and 3-7 yards, #23 overall.
#11 in NFC on 3rd and 8+ yards, #20 overall.
#12 in % First Downs/Attempt, #20 overall.
Here's the links for rushing stats on 3rd down...

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/t...e=NFL&rank=016

Yet they ranked 10th overall in rushing 1st downs. Just can't convert the short ones. Smith's 3rd down % was actually higher than the short-yardage rushing conversion % but many still believe 3rd down was an Alex Smith problem. Clearly it was a team problem.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:

Why not use that card? As as fan you should be used to greatness at the position that provides your team the best chance to win every year. So you're going to tolerate less as a fan just because they're you're team? Newsflash you can still be a fan without being a homer. There is nothing wrong about being objective about your team's current situation good or bad.

You're acting like I have a bias and would never support anything Alex will or has ever done. This isn't true. But I'm not going to pretend like he's playing better than he actually is, until he proves it on a consistent basis. Even Scott Mitchell had one good season in the NFL. A lot of players had one good moment or year.

You can it being spoiled as a fan. I call it wanting continued success year after year for my team. And the only that realistically is going to happen is consistently good play at the quarterback position. Sue me.

By the way Alex doesn't have to play like a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Just someone that convert their fair share of third downs and not have to depend on a running game, special teams unit, and shut down defense to be successful. Someone that has the potential to even make the friggin Pro Bowl for crying out loud.

Again, I'll support Alex when he plays well, but I'm not ready to crown his ass just because he was in the NFC Championship game. The man still has A LOT to prove.

Sorry my friend, but my opinion is the facts. If you have an issue with that, well...

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** that.. we don't have to see Rogers. He has to see this defense!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Yet they ranked 10th overall in rushing 1st downs. Just can't convert the short ones. Smith's 3rd down % was actually higher than the short-yardage rushing conversion % but many still believe 3rd down was an Alex Smith problem. Clearly it was a team problem.
Well Alex is a part of the team. But if you take rushing out of the equation and just compare the passing third down percentage where did he rank amongst his peers? This would be more an evaluation of him.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

What are you trying to get out of us? Rogers is better than Smith. OK he is, thank you captain obvious! He DID win a sb.. we all watched it. But, hes not on our team nor will he ever be so **** him. He's a great qb that was put in a great position, no doubt, but he's not on our team so I don't support him. Alex Smith for MVP 2012!!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
What are you trying to get out of us? Rogers is better than Smith. OK he is, thank you captain obvious! He DID win a sb.. we all watched it. But, hes not on our team nor will he ever be so **** him. He's a great qb that was put in a great position, no doubt, but he's not on our team so I don't support him. Alex Smith for MVP 2012!!
LOL. This discussion moved beyond Rodgers a while back. I was talking with phlysac about something which evolved into basic support for a player on your team. My point is that I'm not going to bend over and act like Smith is better than what he really is until he proves it on a consistent basis. Doesn't matter if he was in the NFC Championship game. How many scrub quarterbacks have been there in the NFL's history? My standards are higher. But I guess that makes me a hater and apparently my fan association is in jeopardy. Being objective FTL.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
LOL. This discussion moved beyond Rodgers a while back. I was talking with phlysac about something which evolved into basic support for a player on your team. My point is that I'm not going to bend over and act like Smith is better than what he really is until he proves it on a consistent basis. Doesn't matter if he was in the NFC Championship game. How many scrub quarterbacks have been there in the NFL's history? My standards are higher. But I guess that makes me a hater and apparently my fan association is in jeopardy. Being objective FTL.
Objectivity is recognizing both the good AND the bad. You have a "I don't think he can" approach. That's not objectivity. It's pessimism.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Well Alex is a part of the team. But if you take rushing out of the equation and just compare the passing third down percentage where did he rank amongst his peers? This would be more an evaluation of him.
Third down passing was bad, Ness. I agree. But 3rd down rushing was WORSE!!! So it's NOT an Alex Smith problem. It's a 3rd down TEAM problem.

You aren't being "objective" and bashing the offensive line and running backs for their putrid 3rd down numbers. Just being "objective" in bashing Alex Smith's 3rd down numbers. I'm assuming then, that you are just being "objective."
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Objectivity is recognizing both the good AND the bad. You have a "I don't think he can" approach. That's not objectivity. It's pessimism.
No it's objectivity. From what I've observed up to this point he hasn't shown that he can succeed on consistent basis unless everything is working for him. I'm NOT saying that he'll never turn it around or can't. But as of now I'm not going to crown him. There is a reason everyone slights him as a game manager and there is a reason why he only got a three year deal.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Objectivity?

Quote:
If Alex Smith went to the Packers he could very well be out of the NFL right now.
Quote:
Smith will have to be our stop gap until we can upgrade the position. Either that or Smith magically becomes an All-Pro which I don't see happening.
Your objectivity caused you to state that Alex Smith would in no way be back in 2011. And if he were to come back it would be "awful for the franchise and humiliating."

Your objectivity caused you to state that you had no idea why Nate Davis was cut and Alex Smith was re-signed.

Your objectivity caused you to say this...

Quote:
Alex will never be a good quarterback. I'm willing to bet you 100 dollars that within the next five years he won't do anything significant anywhere.
Your objectivity caused you to say that Alex Smith wasn't even "average." You said that he was "downright terrible."

I don't feel I need to go on with how consistently "objective" you've been in your opinion of Alex Smith.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

We all get it. You're not a fan of your favorite team's QB. We all know it. Unless he puts up video game numbers consistently for several years you will not waver. I'm fine with that. It's your opinion, and you're absolutely entitled to it.

All we're asking is to not passively, yet dramatically find ways to reiterate your opinion of him while disguising it under a cloak of "objectivity."

I'd be much more comfortable if you just said something like, "I really don't like him, and it'd be damn near impossible for him to change my opinion."
Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Objectivity?

Your objectivity caused you to state that Alex Smith would in no way be back in 2011. And if he were to come back it would be "awful for the franchise and humiliating."

Your objectivity caused you to state that you had no idea why Nate Davis was cut and Alex Smith was re-signed.

Your objectivity caused you to say this...

Your objectivity caused you to say that Alex Smith wasn't even "average." You said that he was "downright terrible."

I don't feel I need to go on with how consistently "objective" you've been in your opinion of Alex Smith.
So you're going to take something that was said two years ago and try to run with it to make a point? Yeah, because people's opinions never change.

I'm telling you how I feel about Alex Smith up to this point as of right now based on what I've seen recently. That should be all that matters.

You can keep going back and wasting your time digging through comments that are two years old. I'm sure I could find something that you had a completely different opinion about that far back than you do now if I wanted to actually waste my time.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can end this discussion easily.

Arguing with Ness about Smith is like everyone here arguing with me about T.O.

Quite simply, nothing more than a waste of everyone's time.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote