Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
We all get it. You're not a fan of your favorite team's QB. We all know it. Unless he puts up video game numbers consistently for several years you will not waver. I'm fine with that. It's your opinion, and you're absolutely entitled to it.

All we're asking is to not passively, yet dramatically find ways to reiterate your opinion of him while disguising it under a cloak of "objectivity."

I'd be much more comfortable if you just said something like, "I really don't like him, and it'd be damn near impossible for him to change my opinion."
He doesn't have to put up video game numbers. Aikman and McNair didn't. Just show the ability to dominate without the assistance of a knock out special team's unit, ground game, and defense that basically make the world a whole lot easier. Basically have success without EVERYTHING having to be in perfect order for him to succeed. Also not have every game come down to the wire in the 4th quarter after getting boatloads of chances the previous three from the other units.

Like I said, there is a reason why people slight him as a game manager and he only got a three year deal. The front office even went after Peyton Manning. How genuine is their faith in Alex? Is he even making more money than Flynn? I don't think money was even an issue for Alex personally, it was the commitment factor to him according to Matt Barrows who believes Alex was initially disappointed in the faith from the 49ers. Of course Alex came back because no one else was going to pay him and he didn't want to be in another system again. He had no choice but to take a three year deal.

So obviously I'm not the only one that believes he isn't the key to the franchise or might not ever be one. And as a 49ers fan, I don't think I should be entitled to put lipstick on a pig just because they are my team. Dashon Goldon is a decent safety, but I'm not going to holler that he deserves All Pro honors because he plays for the 49ers.

As for my objectivity, I don't know what you want me to say that would be aesthetically pleasing to your ears. Watching Alex play last year, he improved, but I wasn't that impressed with his performances from week to week. The team is better, but I'm still going to need a world of convincing to change my opinion on the matter. I'll support him if he does well, but if he doesn't I will bust his balls for it. I have that right as a fan that won't simply get on my knees just because he happens to be on the team.

Quote:
Third down passing was bad, Ness. I agree. But 3rd down rushing was WORSE!!! So it's NOT an Alex Smith problem. It's a 3rd down TEAM problem.

You aren't being "objective" and bashing the offensive line and running backs for their putrid 3rd down numbers. Just being "objective" in bashing Alex Smith's 3rd down numbers. I'm assuming then, that you are just being "objective."
I'm just passing the notion that Alex may be apart of the problem. I believe I've stating my feelings on the offensive line a while back. Some quarterbacks have an ability to make their offensive lines look worse or better though. Our right guard position was terrible and Anthony Davis wasn't that great along with Goodwin. Regardless, I've seen quarterbacks with worse offensive lines look fantastic. So it's a wild card for me.

The rushing numbers on third and short were bad, but that is irrelevant for passing the ball on third down. I'm not talking about third and short. I'm talking about third and long when your quarterback needs to get you a conversion and move the chains instead of taking a sack or overthrowing a wide open receiver. The Cowboys also sucked on third downs, and their offensive line sucks. Yet Romo still played well every season because of his natural ability as a passer. Which is why Dallas still ranked 8th in the league on third down conversions through the air despite their problems on the offensive line and converting on third and short via the ground.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 08-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to argue anymore, brotha. We both want him to be ridiculously good as a 49er.

Bring on the Broncos!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed. I'll try to be more open minded in the future regarding Alex Smith.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Agreed. I'll try to be more open minded in the future regarding Alex Smith.
And like I said... I really don't care if you're pessimistic about him, just be more "just" when you decide to call his ability into question. Mentioning that the 49ers open against the Packers isn't the appropriate time to question Alex Smith, especially when the team is so good.

Now if he plays poorly, that's one thing. But just out of the blue without provocation screams agenda...

... and I don't want to think of you as Greg Cosell. ;)
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kaepernick has looked really good today. That throw to Reuland was really good, where he evaded pressure and threw across his left side. Really unnatural and a good strike under pressue. Good catch by Reuland too. Only bad pass was a deep strike on his first throw.

Dixon has also made a case to stay on the team. Then Cartwight broke free for a 20 yard run.

Biggest disappointments- 1st team Secondary, 1st team pass rush (even with blitzes we Manning had all day, even when he didn't release quick), and 1st team O as a whole. One explosive play and then terrible throughout. 142 QBR for Alex is very misleading. OL struggled. Gore looked slow and IMO started to decline heavily last year. Might decline again.

Basically, our entire 1st team O and D looked shaky, besides our run D (which was only OK though). For all the hoopla, our 1st team passing O looks average at best. 1 explosive play to VD and a lot of struggling otherwise. Although i think our 1st team O would look better with Hunter at this point.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 08-26-2012 at 05:47 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Aldon Smith might be more important than I previously thought. This is the second straight game that getting pressure on the quarterback with our starting unit has been a problem, and it's the second straight game that Aldon has missed snaps with the starting unit. He's obviously a good player, but I'm hoping that if he does get hurt down the line it won't be the end of the world for our front seven.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Old 08-26-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Aldon Smith might be more important than I previously thought. This is the second straight game that getting pressure on the quarterback with our starting unit has been a problem, and it's the second straight game that Aldon has missed snaps with the starting unit. He's obviously a good player, but I'm hoping that if he does get hurt down the line it won't be the end of the world for our front seven.
And they don't blitz or run stunts with the 1st team. Missing Smith, Brooks, Bowman etc for the majority of snaps.

Relax a bit.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't say we would suck ass in the regular season brah, just pointing out poor preseason play. Why don't you tell me what you specifically disagreed with.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I didn't say we would suck ass in the regular season brah, just pointing out poor preseason play. Why don't you tell me what you specifically disagreed with.
I didn't really agree with much of anything.

Defense - Everything is vanilla. No blitz schemes, no stunts, no disguised coverages, no Aldon smith/NaVorro Bowman/Chris Culliver.

Offense - Everything is vaniilla. Two pass plays beyond 10 yards. One resulted in a TD. Scored 10 points in 3 possessions. Staley and Miller missed big blocks but that stuff happens. Gore may be slower (not sure he is) but Hunter surely isn't. James surely isn't.

Also... Peyton Manning's Colts teams were winless nearly every year in Preseason. Saints and Packers SB years were winless in preseason. Lions were 4-0 and 0-16. Did you see how absolutely terrible the Patriots offense looked? Doubt they'll be a poor offensive team.

Things can always improve. But preseason doesn't translate to regular season.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I didn't really agree with much of anything.

Defense - Everything is vanilla. No blitz schemes, no stunts, no disguised coverages, no Aldon smith/NaVorro Bowman/Chris Culliver.

Offense - Everything is vaniilla. Two pass plays beyond 10 yards. One resulted in a TD. Scored 10 points in 3 possessions. Staley and Miller missed big blocks but that stuff happens. Gore may be slower (not sure he is) but Hunter surely isn't. James surely isn't.

Also... Peyton Manning's Colts teams were winless nearly every year in Preseason. Saints and Packers SB years were winless in preseason. Lions were 4-0 and 0-16. Did you see how absolutely terrible the Patriots offense looked? Doubt they'll be a poor offensive team.

Things can always improve. But preseason doesn't translate to regular season.
I agree, which is why i didn't say "OMG 49ers suck again" or some random BS. I think most issues will get worked on/fixed by Week 1, like last preseason. I even said as much in the general preseason week 3 thread in the NFL forum.

Only thing i am worried about for the regular season is 1st team passing O. They don't get the benefit of the doubt. And thats not bagging on Alex only, that includes the poor OL protection and WR's too.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 08-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree, which is why i didn't say "OMG 49ers suck again" or some random BS. I think most issues will get worked on/fixed by Week 1, like last preseason. I even said as much in the general preseason week 3 thread in the NFL forum.

Only thing i am worried about for the regular season is 1st team passing O. They don't get the benefit of the doubt. And thats not bagging on Alex only, that includes the poor OL protection and WR's too.
At the same time it's easy to be hypercritical. The 1st team O has scored on 5 of 8 possessions this preseason. They've done that will a very vanilla scheme and zero gameplanning. Breakdowns in protection/blocking this game... Miller missed a cut block on Von Miller. Fix it, but Miller is legit. Staley missed a cut block on Dumerville. Fix it, but Dumerville lead the NFL in sacks in 2010.

The rust is perfect for learning and growing. I'd prefer rustiness to complacency.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Sounds like Harbaugh's not happy with the O today

Quote:
"We got lucky on the pass to Vernon Davis. It was a luck thing." - Jim Harbaugh
https://twitter.com/CGin49ers/status/239872591924453376
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Sounds like Harbaugh's not happy with the O today

https://twitter.com/CGin49ers/status/239872591924453376
Lucky that it was blown coverage, yes. But that's the name of the game. Taking advantage of other team's mistakes.

But I hope Harbaugh doesn't let up. Always improve. Always try to be great.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
The 49ers, as they've done this exhibition season, played a vanilla defense. In three games, the 49ers have yet to get a sack from a projected starter.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...99&feedID=5936

Even if we aren't throwing that many blitzes in, this is still quite sad.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...99&feedID=5936

Even if we aren't throwing that many blitzes in, this is still quite sad.
Projected starters have played 5 or 6 possessions. Aldon Smith has played 2. Ahmad Brooks has played 3.

That's the equivalent of one half of football. One half of football without blitzes, stunts, or disguised coverages. Not sad at all.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

It's as simple as this...

which is it?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Come on you're telling me the 49ers haven't sent any blitzes in this preseason? They've sent a decent amount (at least five rushers) on several occasions with their starting unit.

Last season they depended on their defensive lines getting a good amount of pressure too without always sending the house a la Greg Williams. But just from one on ones, the defensive starters aren't getting much of a push. There really isn't an excuse for that. They just aren't playing well. I'm of course giving Just Smith and Ray McDonald the benefit of the doubt heading into the season, but I just haven't been impressed with what I've seen with one on one's.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's as simple as this...

which is it?
It's a two toned empty cup.

J/k.

Haven't watched the game yet, but I'm not worried about this too much. There's no point wasting all of the team's effort and energy in winning preseason games when they don't count.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering Harbaugh is paranoid about practice to the point that the Niners use the furthest field from where the beat writers can see, I imagine that in a preseason game, he's even less likely to show the slightest hint at what they've got in the playbook.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Come on you're telling me the 49ers haven't sent any blitzes in this preseason? They've sent a decent amount (at least five rushers) on several occasions with their starting unit.

Last season they depended on their defensive lines getting a good amount of pressure too without always sending the house a la Greg Williams. But just from one on ones, the defensive starters aren't getting much of a push. There really isn't an excuse for that. They just aren't playing well. I'm of course giving Just Smith and Ray McDonald the benefit of the doubt heading into the season, but I just haven't been impressed with what I've seen with one on one's.
Quote:
We didn’t really game plan for this. You can really tell that they game planned for us.
~Donte Whitner

Quote:
This all, of course, could be as meaningless as these preseason games, which can disinterest fans and players alike. The 49ers, after all, aren’t game-planning for their opponents or trotting out exotic schemes. They have also had four starters – defensive tackle Justin Smith and linebackers Aldon Smith, NaVorro Bowman and Ahmad Brooks – combine to miss five games. On Sunday, Aldon Smith and Bowman were out and No. 3 cornerback Chris Culliver didn’t make the trip to Denver.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Considering Harbaugh is paranoid about practice to the point that the Niners use the furthest field from where the beat writers can see, I imagine that in a preseason game, he's even less likely to show the slightest hint at what they've got in the playbook.
Quote:
Safety Donte Whitner suggested life wouldn’t be so easy for the Packers’ Aaron Rodgers in the regular-season opener Sept. 9 at Green Bay.

It’s going to be easy to clean up,” Whitner said. “We didn’t really game plan for this. You can really tell that they game planned for us. They did a good job on what they do. But we’re all geared up for Week 1. That’s what we’re focused on.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08/26/lb-brooks-on-defense-its-been-a-scary-start-to-this-point/
Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
~Donte Whitner
Didn't Whitner also say Tolzein was "baby Drew Brees". Okay...

In any case exotic schemes or not, that still isn't an excuse for not getting push up front one on one.

By the way Whitner is the first person I'll want to hear from if it's a blowout at Lambeau. Honestly Whinter should just stop talking. I highly doubt the Broncos gameplanned for the 49ers in the preseason. He just comes off as butthurt that their first unit got owned. Yes we know you didn't gameplan for this game Whitner, but don't try to one-up the Broncos by saying they gameplanned. Just stop.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 08-26-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Goon61
Rookie

Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i remember last year when the niners were destroyed by the saints in the preseason in what seemed like a ploy by Harbaugh to see a bigger portion of the saint's playbook. Preseason doesn't mean much, at least the first team threw a TD in this game. I will hold my judgement until the season starts. The team is facing a tough schedule right at the get-go so we will know what the team is made up of early.
Goon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Whitner said the same thing after HOU beat SF 30-7 last preseason, about no gameplanning. At the time people thought he was making excuses but we were 10x better in the regular season. So i believe him.