Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Worse case scenario.....McCoy doesnt make it past final cuts, we save $1.5m and only wasted a late 7th rounder on him. No biggie.

I have a question for you guys.....

Do any of you think that Rogers could make the transition from CB to FS? Or would that be a cluster****?
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
How many teams use high round draft picks for their backup QBs? There's more nuance to the roster spot than simply "the future starter when your starter gets hurt."
What does that have to do with with his ability on the field? I gave a critique of him, as a QB. Not as a starter or back up but as a QB. Where a QB is drafted is irrelevant to me. I thought McCoy had 6th-7th round talent as a QB coming out of college. He was a 3rd round pick. so far, Im closer to being right than the Browns were.

Quote:
Actually my concern for Tolzien (whom I still think could be #2 QB, but likely #3) was that after he became labeled "Baby Brees" by Donte Whitner, he looked really bad. Tolzien looked spectacular against the Vikings in preseason week 1, and he got alot of praise. Unfortunately this is what he did the remainder of preseason...

8-21 | 0 TD | 1 INT | 1 Fumble

Those three games really scared me. I've yet to see him since. The only people that have seen him are the 49ers and they were the ones whom just added McCoy to compete with him.
What I recall is most of the beat writers all through TC and most of the pre-season saying that Tolizen was the most consistent QB, after Alex. What I saw after the Vikings game was a QB who got a limited number of reps. I think the 21 attempts speak to that. He was mostly on the field with 3rd and 4th stringers after the Vikings game so its kinda hard to judge him after that but I saw enough in one pre-season with the Chargers and one pre-season with us to see that there's talent there. Now whether or not, that translates to success when his number is called in the regular season remains to be seen. I know that I feel more confident in his abilities as a QB than what I have seen from McCoy. But again, I will let him prove me wrong.

Quote:
I've said I think he's better than any of the QBs that are available in rounds 6 and 7 this year. Of course I could be wrong, but the percentages are certainly on Baalke's side.
Well considering I thought he was 6th and 7th round talent to begin with, I'll reserve judgement on whether he's better than anyone we could still grab in those rounds or with the 5th we gave up for him. Personally I think Tyler Wilson could be 10 times the QB McCoy is and if we could have gotten with that 5th rounder we gave up for McCoy, I would have been ecstatic. And true, you never said he was better so that's my bad.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-02-2013 at 03:57 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I have a question for you guys.....

Do any of you think that Rogers could make the transition from CB to FS? Or would that be a cluster****?
No...and NO. Did I mention no? He's a CB through and through.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In your pessimistic world, yes, I guess you're right.
Oh hush now. I could very well say that you're essentially putting lipstick on a pig in regards to this situation.

I will say that you had a point with Baalke deserving the benefit of the doubt though. I think this move sucks, but I hope I'm wrong about it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^BTW i need someone to re-size this into a sig for me. If someone would be so kind. Its amazing.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The McCoy freakout of 2013 has commenced.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

updated mock draft:

1) #31- Round 1 - desmond trufant : cb
2) #34- Round 2 - jonathan cyprien : s
3) #61- Round 2 slyvester williams : dt
4) #74- Round 3 (From Panthers) jordan reed : te
5) #93- Round 3 david queensberry : c
6) #128- Round 4 da'rick rogers : wr
7) #131- Round 4 (Comp) christine michael : rb
8) #157- Round 5 (From Colts) aj klien : ilb
9) #164- Round 5 rod sweeting : cb
10) #180- Round 6 (From Dolphins) nathan stanley : qb
11) #227- Round 7 (taylor mays deal ) jordan mills : ot
12) #237- Round 7 garrett gilkey : g
13) #246- Round 7 (Comp) david bass : de
14) #252- Round 7 (Comp) dustin hopkins : k
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would love Trufant at 31 but honestly, I see him, Milliner and Rhodes all gone in the top 20 if not higher.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate McCoy I don't think he'll make it out of TC. I am still hoping for Vince Young to be Kap's backup we will see. I still think they bring in another guy via the draft and they all compete for the backup jobs. I think this move was more slotting in the draft than I really think it was about McCoy to be honest.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Vince Young? Hell no. What the hell for? So he can say Dream Team II and then, we proceed to go 4-12? No thanks. Let him stay wherever the hell he is now.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I hate McCoy I don't think he'll make it out of TC. I am still hoping for Vince Young to be Kap's backup we will see. I still think they bring in another guy via the draft and they all compete for the backup jobs. I think this move was more slotting in the draft than I really think it was about McCoy to be honest.
God I hate Vince Young. Well, at least he would be able to run out of trouble. That is the only thing he brings to the table better than McCoy.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Aso signs with us for one year worth 3 million. Whatever.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Aso signs with us for one year worth 3 million. Whatever.
Actually...

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

CB Nnamdi Asomugha is signing a 1-yr deal with 49ers worth $1.35 million in base salary, but get this: He didn't want ANY guaranteed money.
I was against the signing but for that price hell, why not? See if he comes in motivated. The question is now, which CB is the odd man out...or will we be rolling with 6 or 7 CBs next year on the 53?

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-02-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

I figured he would sign for cheap. Baalke doesn't overpay, its a buyers market, and Nnamdi's value tanked after the last 2 years.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I was against the signing but for that price hell, why not? See if he comes in motivated. The question is now, which CB is the odd man out...or will be rolling with 6 or 7 CBs next year on the 53?
With the cap... I wonders how strong of a grasp Rogers has on a roster spot. I wouldn't hate giving Perrish Cox a shot in the slot.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I figured he would sign for cheap. Baalke doesn't overpay, its a buyers market, and Nnamdi's value tanked after the last 2 years.
Yea, but I didnt think that cheap. He cost less than Colt McCoy...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

CB Nnamdi Asomugha is signing a 1-yr deal with 49ers worth $1.35 million in base salary, but get this: He didn't want ANY guaranteed money.
This is a great contract, very little maneuvering will be necessary to squeeze him in under the cap. That takes us down to 2.1 million currently but we should be able to clear up some more pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well it is about time we signed Aso. I was begging to think we let him slip . And at that price its a very good deal specially for just a year. win win for us all!Let's hope Aso can live up to his recent years.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Must admit thats a great signing with no risk whatsoever. If Asomugha doesnt play well enough in TC and PS, Harbaugh can cut him without any penalties. If we play man coverage or at the very least, let Asomugha play man coverage at the LOS, I think that Asomugha can regain his Raider form but if we end up putting him out there in zone, he'll be like a deer in headlights and thus, no point. Have to see what happens but dont see a downside.

I still believe that we're going to add TWO corners in the draft especially if Trufant/Rhodes somehow and someway drop to 31. Could definitely see Asomugha being moved to FS. Thoughts on that move guys?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hope he plays better for you guys than he did for us. The guy was a ******* disaster.

No guaranteed money makes me thinks he's coming in with the attitude that he wants to earn it which could be good....or the guy is just trash now...hopefully you guys get the good Aso.

Edit: And Dan, dont think that it was just the zone coverage....he was ****** in everything that he did in Philly, including press man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Must admit thats a great signing with no risk whatsoever. If Asomugha doesnt play well enough in TC and PS, Harbaugh can cut him without any penalties. If we play man coverage or at the very least, let Asomugha play man coverage at the LOS, I think that Asomugha can regain his Raider form but if we end up putting him out there in zone, he'll be like a deer in headlights and thus, no point. Have to see what happens but dont see a downside.

I still believe that we're going to add TWO corners in the draft especially if Trufant/Rhodes somehow and someway drop to 31. Could definitely see Asomugha being moved to FS. Thoughts on that move guys?
Why do you insist on moving CBs to FS? Every CB can't make that conversion. Less than a third in the history of the game probably could. It rarely happens.

And SickwithIT is right, he didn't even look good in man last year. But I don't envision him starting anyway so its all good. As a third or fourth CB is where his value lies IMO. He's depth at this point. I dont think anyone should expect him to beat out our top 3 CBs at this point. He'll have to earn time on the field. That's what the contract boils down to. Honestly it wouldnt surprise me if he didn't even make the 53 and got beat out by a rookie. That's how bad I think he is now.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-02-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Edit: And Dan, dont think that it was just the zone coverage....he was ****** in everything that he did in Philly, including press man.
To be fair though, that entire Eagles defense pretty much blew chunks the last two years and the secondary has sucked since Dawkins wasnt re-signed. Add in Reid making Castillo the DC two years ago and that wide 9 crap and well, majority of the defense didnt even fit the scheme and while I know Asomugha looked bad the two years he was in Philly, that was how everyone looked on defense so its not saying anything plus I dont even think Asomugha cared either way and when that happens, well, you saw the results. As for this year, I think that Asomugha bounces back to his Raider form and even if he doesnt and we cut him, doesnt hurt us at all so win/win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Why do you insist on moving CBs to FS? Every CB can't make that conversion. Less than a third in the history of the game probably could. It rarely happens.

And SickwithIT is right, he didn't even look good in man last year. But I don't envision him starting anyway so its all good. As a third or fourth CB is where his value lies IMO. He's depth at this point. I dont think anyone should expect him to beat out our top 3 CBs at this point. He'll have to earn time on the field. That's what the contract boils down to. Honestly it wouldnt surprise me if he didn't even make the 53 and got beat out by a rookie. That's how bad I think he is now.
Insist? I mentioned Rogers and Asomugha. Thats only two guys. I never said that always happens but a lot of times, veteran corners extend their careers by switching to FS because they still have good coverage skills and can roam around free making plays. Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Ronde Barber are the ones that come to mind. I think that if Asomugha is focused and everything, he could make that transition and quite honestly, not like he would be worse than Dahl, Spillman or McBath back there anyway.

The entire Eagles defense was bad the last two years, Reid moving Castillo to DC was probably the worse move ever in Philly during the Reid era and the entire secondary has been crap since Dawkins wasnt re-signed. Add in the fact that Asomugha probably didnt care and well, there's your results.

I dont think Asomugha is bad. He needs to be on a better team and get himself back to being motivated and pumped up. I think that there's a chance he can beat out Rogers and Brown for a starting spot as long as Fangio used him to his strengths and hides his weaknesses. And yes, I know that you and the other guy said he sucked in man coverage in Philly which I already know but at the same time, that entire defense sucked so its not saying anything at all.

I would have been against Asomugha if the Eagles defense was top ten and he still sucked. Then, I would be concerned but when an entire defense (or offense) sucks, it cant just be the fault of one guy, thats impossible.

Either way, its a win/win.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

so we just made a trade for colt mccoy...thoughts?
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCoy will be a nice back up if he earns it up camp.Other wise just a 3rd stringer .