Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Am I the only sucker falling in love with Kelvin Benjamin? Baby Megatron? Yes please!! I know he's had some bad drops and has given up on some plays but I think I would still prefer him to Mike Evans, I'm just tired of slow receivers....
He's my fav WR prospect. Do want. Badly.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Am I the only sucker falling in love with Kelvin Benjamin? Baby Megatron? Yes please!! I know he's had some bad drops and has given up on some plays but I think I would still prefer him to Mike Evans, I'm just tired of slow receivers....
But is Kelvin Benjamin fast? That's the key.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
But is Kelvin Benjamin fast? That's the key.
Hard to tell with his long strides but he looks noticeable faster than Evans. I think Evans will run a 4.7 and Benjamin a 4.5 if I had to guess but I could be way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Benjamin is slow as hell and will defintely get over-drafted. He and Evans are excatly the same....tall, jump-ball WRs. Though I think Evans is the more polished and NFL ready of the two. Anytime a 220 lbs safety can press man you and lock you up all game is pause for concern. Watching film of Exum(VT)from 2012 against FSU and he ate Benjamin's lunch while playing CB. For as raw as he is, it'll take him at least 2 years before he's really ready to contribute. He's not a guy that can come into the league and hit the ground running. He seems to be a very lazy and sloppy route runner. That part of his game will need a lot of polish. If your not a speedster, they way you get open is by being precise in your routes....that's NOT Benjamin. I'd be surprised if ran under 4.6 And even if he did, I seriously question it because film doesn't lie. He looks very pedestrian, especially when you watch him against secondaries that have good speed.

When I look at WRs, I look first at our division and the talent we have at CB. These guys have to go up against physical freaks like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman. And Janoris Jenkins is no slouch either. The #1 requisite ppl should be looking at from a WR for this team is can this kid be outside on a island against a Sherman or a Peterson, one-on-one and win? I'm not confident either Evans nor Benjamin could. Personally, there are only a handful guys I see that could win that match-up. And two of them will probably be gone way before our first pick but one I think we could grab in the second. Moncrief from Ole Miss, to me, has the physical tools to do the job. He needs some polish as well but he's has the skill-set already to make some noise as a rookie. I'm not eve sure if he has declared yet but if he did, that's the kid I hope Baalke and Co are looking at. Either that, or he's moving up to select Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 01-26-2014 at 10:12 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hoping Baalke trades up for a LCB. Have no interest in WR whatsoever especially if we end up re-signing Boldin. No point, guy will barely be used. Plus, the last two times we drafted a WR in the first round, both were huge busts. No reason to try that again. Team is better at drafting receivers in the mid to late rounds than they have been in the first round.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The obvious positions are CB & Safety early but we need to move up like last year, i also wouldnt be surprised if we stayed put & grabbed a gaurd / center. Cant see Iupati resigning for the $ we can offer

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
The obvious positions are CB & Safety early but we need to move up like last year, i also wouldnt be surprised if we stayed put & grabbed a gaurd / center. Cant see Iupati resigning for the $ we can offer
I think that we should trade Iupati and try to draft a LG to replace him if we cant extend him. We currently have five draft picks in the first three rounds and from what I have read, we'll most likely get a 3rd round compensation pick for Goldson. That's six draft picks and if we can get at least another third rounder or better for Iupati, that would be seven draft picks in the first three rounds, six of them that can be traded.

I would try to move up if a guy I liked starts to fall into the teens. And once you see a CB or two drafted, that usually starts a run so have to make the move to get the guy they want. We have plenty of picks.

If we can come away with a starting LCB, a starting SS and a starting C in the first three rounds, I'll be a happy camper and everything else would be gravy.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team has so few holes that in all likelihood no more than 4/5 rookies can make the roster. Nows the the time we either go all in & trade up to grab the BPA for our positions of need or trade out of this draft for future draft picks

Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have some needs in terms of depth especially wide receiver and cornerback are pretty thin and same can be said about the Safety position where we basically only have Reid and a trio of special teamers and the O-line behind the starters with only Snyder and Looney available. Besides those we really need to draft a QB to develop behind Kaep and i am not really sold on Celek and Carrier so an extra TE isn't that bad.

I think however that we will trade for picks next year just like the Patriots are doing for years and making sure you have them when you really need them.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We have some needs in terms of depth especially wide receiver and cornerback are pretty thin and same can be said about the Safety position where we basically only have Reid and a trio of special teamers and the O-line behind the starters with only Snyder and Looney available. Besides those we really need to draft a QB to develop behind Kaep and i am not really sold on Celek and Carrier so an extra TE isn't that bad
People are going to call me a hater but I couldn't agree more on drafting a QB. We need to develop a potential starter if Kaep cant continue to improve or a long term back up atleast.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kaep has less than 30 career starts, lets not start the talk of replacing him right just yet....
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its not about replacing it is about having a back-up. With Kaep's style of play he simply has a bigger risk of getting injured and i can't believe anyone would be comfortable with McCoy as the primary back-up. Just get a project that you can develop and be that back-up and if he shows he is good you can always trade him away for a pretty penny. Look at the Patriots. Did they draft Mallett and Cassel to replace Brady? No they drafted them so they had a back-up they felt comfortable with and who could step in when needed. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

I can see at least 8-10 rookies making the final 53. Since im bored, here's a breakdown of our current roster, position by position going into the 2014 regular season -

*NOTE - I'm only counting players who I think will be on the final 53 roster*

QB / 1
Colin Kaepernick is the only quarterback that I see being on the roster once the 2014 regular season starts. McCoy will be long gone and Bethel-Thompson isnt making the final 53. Personally, I would prefer a veteran quarterback like Orton, Henne, etc. but even that is unlikely since I dont think the team will pay for a veteran backup. Ideally, I would love a veteran backup along with Daniels being brought back as the developmental guy. Quite honestly, adding another quarterback via the draft is very likely but not something I would do.

RB / 5
Despite his $6.45m salary, Gore WILL be on the roster. He has to be. Hunter wasnt used as much as he was too years ago as a rookie and James was non-existent. Lattimore isnt the future until he proves that he's healthy and can play at the high level he did pre-injury. Whether it be a pay cut or dummy extension, Gore needs to be here in 2014.

FB / 6
Miller will be back and hopefully 100%. Dont see Dixon being re-signed. We have Alex Debniak who could fill the backup role or Tukuafu who'll be an RFA and should be back in 2014.

WR / 8
This will definitely be a need because out of our receivers, only Crabtree and Patton are guaranteed to be back. Would love to see us re-sign Boldin for one more year but that's 50/50. Baldwin was a disappointment and I expect him to get released after the draft or by final cuts. I would be shocked if he makes it onto the final 53.

TE / 10
Davis, McDonald are set to be back. Celek is an RFA and Carrier is going into his second season. Can see one of them making the team but for now, I'll exclude them.

OL / 16
Staley, Boone and Davis are set. For the time being, I'll add Iupati as well. I'll add in Kilgore and Looney. That's only six offensive linemen. I'm not going to add Snyder as I think that he could be a cap casualty. We have a few young developmental guys but none of them are ready to be on the active gameday roster and play if necessary. Definitely hope we can get a starting center, an offensive left guard and a backup tackle in the draft. Offensive line alone, there's three draft picks.

DL / 27
For now, I have 11 defensive linemen making the final 53, mainly because after 2014, I see Justin Smith and Dorsey being gone. Smith, McDonald, Dorsey, Ian Williams, Jerod-Eddie, Carradine, Okoye, Dobbs, Tukuafu (he's mainly a FB but I'll list him as a DL), Dial and Purcell. I fully expect us to draft at least one or two defensive linemen but not early. We have bigger and more pressing needs early in the draft.

LB / 35
Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Smith are set obviously. Lemonier, Moody, Skuta and Wilhoite are guys who should make the final 53. Skuta could be a cap casualty but with the injury to Bowman, I dont see these eight guys going anywhere any time soon.

CB / 39
I have four cornerbacks who I think will make the final 53 as of right now. Brock, Culliver, Cox (RFA) and Morris. I personally would like to see us add at least two more via the draft for several reasons. Definitely want a left side cover corner who has the ability and talent to start day one. I like Culliver but he's coming off a major injury and a horrible Super Bowl performance plus he's going to be rusty and out of football shape. If the team can trade up and snatch a top tier CB, I would definitely be happy with that. Reason I add another cornerback is for competition and in case the team doesnt keep Culliver and/or Cox.

FS / 40
We have Reid as our starting FS. We can definitely use a mid round draft pick on a backup FS. Would have no problem with that.

SS / 41
While we have Dahl, Ventrone and Spillman on the roster, I only see Spillman as a lock. We need a starting SS to match up with Reid. Some may not be a fan of that but go back to our Super Bowl title when we had three rookies and a second year player in the secondary. Would LOVE to get a SS who can excel at stopping the run, solid in coverage and can tackle. I dont mind a big hit here and there but Whitner does that way too often in my opinion. Just wrap the guy up and use your weight to bring him down. Big hits dont work as well as they used too. Now, guys just bounce off. Can definitely see Dahl and Ventrone being cap casualties.

ST / 43
Lee and McDermott are set. Kicker is yet to be determined.

Overall, that leaves us 10 roster spots not including re-signings and/or free agent signings. This off season is going to be the most important because of several factors.

First, how do we keep the core of the defense intact while having to extend guys like Kaepernick, Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon and others? Well, my plan would be to extend Kaepernick and Crabtree as quickly as possible. Next, add that fifth year option on Aldon in May when the price of it decreases. After that, offer Iupati whatever the max that they're willing to pay and if he declines, trade him for at the very least top ten third round draft pick or higher. I wouldnt take any less than a second rounder if its for 2015 because at best, we would get a third round compensation draft pick for Iupati in 2016.

I would want a higher draft pick then that if I was to trade him. There are plenty of teams who would definitely want a young stud LG to match up with a stud LT. And those teams are usually the ones that have the cap room to extend Iupati.

Secondary MUST be revamped. I see the Seahawks and I'll be honest, im jealous. They have an excellent secondary and best in the league. I want our secondary to surpass it and Fangio has to start playing more physical at the line man coverage. Stop letting every receiver run free all the damn time. In this revamping, get rid of the garbage. Rogers sucks and needs to be released. No pay cut, no option. Just gone. The cap room saved from releasing him alone makes it easily the best decision. Allow Brown, Wright and Whitner to leave as UFA's. Wright sucked and the reason he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs is because the coaching staff didnt like his work ethic. Gone. Brown and Whitner are solid to good but not worth the money that it would most likely take to keep them not to mention the fact that younger players via the draft also include cheap four year contracts which is what need in order to extend the other guys.

Front seven will be intact for 2014. Its 2015 when I see it possibly getting changed. I dont see Justin Smith being back after 2014 due to his salary for 2015. If Lemonier can develop next year to where the coaching staff thinks he can start, I can definitely see Brooks get released in a year from now especially when you look at his contract. McDonald could be another guy gone in a year from now. Dorsey will be an UFA in 2015 and if he plays as good in 2014 as he did in 2013, he'll most likely bolt to the highest bidder.

Offensively, its all about the offensive line and the receivers. If we can add a starting center and one or two guards (depending on what happens with Iupati) and a tackle, we'll be good for at least two more years.

Forgot who said it, but I like the idea of a possible switch with Boone and Davis. Dont think that will happen due to the extension Davis received but I think that its a good idea.

Receiver wise, im sure we'll draft at least one or two of them this year but my main priority would be to re-sign Boldin for one more year and develop Patton.

Overall, when you look at it, the team is stacked but not as deep as it was just a year ago. Start adding in huge contract extensions and departures, we're going to need those draft picks this coming May.

I wouldnt mind doing another Cowboys type trade like last year as well as moving up in rounds two and three if necessary but I wouldnt trade away any future draft picks and I wouldnt trade into the top ten. Too expensive of a trade and the coaching staff as well as Baalke need to hit on the majority of their picks this year. Cant afford to have another 2012.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Kaep has less than 30 career starts, lets not start the talk of replacing him right just yet....
30 career starts is exactly my point. The contract he next signs is going to be based on potential not past performance so there is a significant risk factor for the team. I would love to see him the franchise QB for the next 10 years but I would see that as no better than a 50:50 proposition at this stage

It's is a tremendous risk for the team if they pay him the $18M+ being discussed everywhere based on such a small sample size. Kaep has significant upside but will he ever reach that potential or has he shown us exactly what he is - great arm / legs but 1 read passer?

Ideally they can reach a deal that works for everyone but we still need at worst a back up but ideally someone who can step up should Kaep fail / get injured

Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Agree a lot with the positions and spaces but i really feel we need to bring some core ST guys back. Don't really care if its Dixon, Ventrone, Dahl or Osgood but i would like to see at least 2 of them stay.

Besides that i am once again participating in the offseason mock on the forum and we are now at the end of the first. First i cut both Baldwin and Rogers and let the rest of our UFA's and RFA's leave. In Free agency i resigned Boldin to a 2 yr/8 mil contract(really wanted to make sure he would come back and didn't have to account for resigning players for the future) and Brown to a yr/3 mil deal while is signed Jacoby Jones to a 1yr/2 mil deal to be that deep threat and take care of the returns(not sold on James).

In the first round i traded the pick we got from the chiefs along with our first rounder to move up to #16 to pick Calvin Pryor to match up with Reid since i felt with Brock, Brown and Culliver we have some solid pieces to start with and the only real hole left was at safety where with Reid and Pryor you get a lot of flexibility since they both are able to play FS and SS in my eyes and you can play with how you use them.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I'm hoping Baalke trades up for a LCB. Have no interest in WR whatsoever especially if we end up re-signing Boldin. No point, guy will barely be used. Plus, the last two times we drafted a WR in the first round, both were huge busts. No reason to try that again. Team is better at drafting receivers in the mid to late rounds than they have been in the first round.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2014, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Too late. The morons are out in full force.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
30 career starts is exactly my point. The contract he next signs is going to be based on potential not past performance so there is a significant risk factor for the team. I would love to see him the franchise QB for the next 10 years but I would see that as no better than a 50:50 proposition at this stage

It's is a tremendous risk for the team if they pay him the $18M+ being discussed everywhere based on such a small sample size. Kaep has significant upside but will he ever reach that potential or has he shown us exactly what he is - great arm / legs but 1 read passer?

Ideally they can reach a deal that works for everyone but we still need at worst a back up but ideally someone who can step up should Kaep fail / get injured
All contracts are signed are based on both past performance and future. He's already taken the 49ers to places where some Hall of Fame quarterbacks have never been.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
All contracts are signed are based on both past performance and future. He's already taken the 49ers to places where some Hall of Fame quarterbacks have never been.
It's hard to argue that Kaep took us there. I say that he was a piece of a team that got us there based on a kick ass defense & a ball control offense. In fact based on past performance you'd argue that Alex is at the same level as Kaep?

My comment on contracts is that with Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers is that they actually achieved something to deserve their latest contracts. I cant agree that Kaep is that level yet

Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
It's hard to argue that Kaep took us there. I say that he was a piece of a team that got us there based on a kick ass defense & a ball control offense. In fact based on past performance you'd argue that Alex is at the same level as Kaep?

My comment on contracts is that with Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers is that they actually achieved something to deserve their latest contracts. I cant agree that Kaep is that level yet
Alex isn't on the same level as Kaepernick. Anyone that thinks that is a moron to me. We had one of the best defenses of all time in 2011. If Kaepernick is the starter heading into the season we might actually get to the Super Bowl and win it. And yes, Kaepernick was a piece to the puzzle, but he was arguably the most important piece. I don't see Alex and the 49ers winning three straight road games to get to the NFC Championship against the Seahawks this year.

Oh and as for contracts, Brees was signed by the Saints to a mega deal when he first came to New Orleans as free agent. They were taking a huge risk because Brees had suffered a shoulder injury the previous season in the final game against the Broncos when he was a Charger. Brees hadn't achieved anything yet except two bounce back seasons after people already had thought he was a bust.

Then you have Peyton Manning who was given a huge contract in the 2004 offseason. He hadn't won a Super Bowl yet at that point. Actually, he had just gotten to his first championship game after being in the NFL for six seasons.

Aaron Rodgers got a mega contract extension in 2008. They hadn't even had a winning season with him up to that point and it was his first season as a starter! But he got his money during the middle of that season.

So as you can see, it's pretty simple. If you have a guy that is producing, you pay the man. Kaepernick has earned his money in a year and a half as the starting quarterback. I don't think he should be paid the richest contract in the NFL, but he deserves more than the likes of Jay Cutler who just got around $18 million a year. Unless you want to go back to the Singletary and Nolan years where we didn't have **** at QB, you better not dick around.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
Agree a lot with the positions and spaces but i really feel we need to bring some core ST guys back. Don't really care if its Dixon, Ventrone, Dahl or Osgood but i would like to see at least 2 of them stay.

Besides that i am once again participating in the offseason mock on the forum and we are now at the end of the first. First i cut both Baldwin and Rogers and let the rest of our UFA's and RFA's leave. In Free agency i resigned Boldin to a 2 yr/8 mil contract(really wanted to make sure he would come back and didn't have to account for resigning players for the future) and Brown to a yr/3 mil deal while is signed Jacoby Jones to a 1yr/2 mil deal to be that deep threat and take care of the returns(not sold on James).

In the first round i traded the pick we got from the chiefs along with our first rounder to move up to #16 to pick Calvin Pryor to match up with Reid since i felt with Brock, Brown and Culliver we have some solid pieces to start with and the only real hole left was at safety where with Reid and Pryor you get a lot of flexibility since they both are able to play FS and SS in my eyes and you can play with how you use them.
Rock the mock my friend, I represented us last year and pulled in the following:

Draft Picks:

17) Johnathan Cooper - OG/C - North Carolina
34) D.J. Hayden - CB - Houston
61) D.J. Swearinger FS - South Carolina
93) Shamarko Thomas - SS - Syracuse
104) Jordan Reed - TE - Florida
131) Michael Buchanon - OLB - Illinois
157) Malliciah Goodman - DE - Clemson
237) T.J. Barnes - NT - Georgia Tech
246) Chriss Gragg - TE - Arkansas
252) Tanner Hawkinson - OT - Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Goon61
Rookie

Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Goon61 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Benjamin is slow as hell and will defintely get over-drafted. He and Evans are excatly the same....tall, jump-ball WRs. Though I think Evans is the more polished and NFL ready of the two. Anytime a 220 lbs safety can press man you and lock you up all game is pause for concern. Watching film of Exum(VT)from 2012 against FSU and he ate Benjamin's lunch while playing CB. For as raw as he is, it'll take him at least 2 years before he's really ready to contribute. He's not a guy that can come into the league and hit the ground running. He seems to be a very lazy and sloppy route runner. That part of his game will need a lot of polish. If your not a speedster, they way you get open is by being precise in your routes....that's NOT Benjamin. I'd be surprised if ran under 4.6 And even if he did, I seriously question it because film doesn't lie. He looks very pedestrian, especially when you watch him against secondaries that have good speed.

When I look at WRs, I look first at our division and the talent we have at CB. These guys have to go up against physical freaks like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman. And Janoris Jenkins is no slouch either. The #1 requisite ppl should be looking at from a WR for this team is can this kid be outside on a island against a Sherman or a Peterson, one-on-one and win? I'm not confident either Evans nor Benjamin could. Personally, there are only a handful guys I see that could win that match-up. And two of them will probably be gone way before our first pick but one I think we could grab in the second. Moncrief from Ole Miss, to me, has the physical tools to do the job. He needs some polish as well but he's has the skill-set already to make some noise as a rookie. I'm not eve sure if he has declared yet but if he did, that's the kid I hope Baalke and Co are looking at. Either that, or he's moving up to select Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins.
Really?
I actually won't be surprised if Benjamin dominates the combine and runs a high 4.4 low 4.5. I could be wrong but in the game against Florida, which can be seen here
he runs right by the talented FL secondary at 3.00, 7.00, and 8.36 min.
But, maybe this film is lieing and he is not actually that fast.

With that said he might get overdrafted. For me the question about Benjamin is whether he is the kind of guy that will take his paycheck and quit on football. Also, he will be 24 when drafted and is still kind of raw
Goon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Kaepernick HELPED take us to the NFCCG but at the same time, he also cost us the game so if anything, it all evens out. And I love you Ness, you bash Alex Smith, love Kaepernick but when Smith was injured with a concussion and I wanted to stay with Kaepernick after the Bears game, you still wanted Smith to be the starter. Now, you're riding Kaepernick's jock like a hooker.

We all know, including me, that Kaepernick is getting paid. All im hoping is that it doesnt burn the team and they dont want to get out of the contract in two to three years.

As for that picture of Calvin Johnson. I dont remember us drafting him. Maybe my wish did come true and he's a 49er. Nope. That was just a dream. I meant for us it hasnt worked in a LONG time and unless its a guy who's as close to a sure thing as you can get, I wouldnt even waste my time.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post

Special teams wise, Ventrone is under contract for 2014 while Dahl is under contract for the next two seasons. The other two are UFA's. Dont see Dixon coming back and Osgood would be 50/50.

There's an off-season mock? Damn it. I'm always missing that. UGH. Agree with releasing Rogers and Baldwin. Dont have a problem with re-signing Boldin but I would offer him a one year $5m contract. I wouldnt go past that in years or money. For cheap, I wouldnt mind Jacoby Jones but I think that he'll get paid more than that. One guy im interested in if he gets released would be Devin Hester if he can be signed for cheap. Have no interest in re-signing Brown. Brock got paid $4m a year on average. No way Brown takes less especially after the team screwed him out of that bonus last year. Personally, I want him gone.

As for other UFA's, I agree. RFA wise though, at the very least I would bring back Cox, Dobbs, Tukuafu and ERFA Wilhoite for training camp and pre-season. While I prefer to trade up for a CB to match up with Brock, I wouldnt complain if we drafted Pryor instead.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just trade up ahead of the Ravens and crab Mike Davis from the Aggies.

A side note , not sure if any one seen the latest mock at NFL . com but they all have us taking a dt , really NFL ?
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote