Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp
I thought for sure Whitner was 31..lol

I like Joyner as well I just don't see Baalke drafting a 5'8" safety, I think it would work though, Reid could do very nicely as a SS.
Hmmm, you were probably just thinking of his jersey number which is 31. LOL.

Probably not but at the same time, no one thought that he was going to draft Jenkins so who knows, anything is possible. Wouldnt mind Joyner at 30 if Pryor is gone by then which I think he will be.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:31 AM    (permalink
LizardKing51
Rookie

LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Kicker

I checked out the kicker Anthony Fera from Texas who you mentioned. Everything I had seen before suggested there aren't any kickers coming out ready for the draft this year. The blurbs I read about Fera were that he doesn't have an NFL leg. He hasn't even been strong enough to kick off in college football in 3 years. He has no kickoffs his junior or senior year. He also wasn't used on very many NFL length field goals in his career. In his entire career he has made only 10 field goals over 39 yards that averages out to 2.5 non-chip shot kicks per year. He only has one 50 yard field goal.

I would not put any eggs in his basket. Many college kickers who become NFL kickers aren't ready for a few years after college. Many NFL kickers don't make their first NFL roster until they are 26 or 27 after they continue to develop their legs. Maybe Fera will work on his leg strength over the next 3 or 4 years, but I don't think he is ready. I bet he would hurt the 49ers more than Akers did in 2012. Bad kickers can cause loses. I've seen too many games end with bad kicks to entrust a college kicker who wasn't even making NFL distance kicks in college.

I mentioned reading up on NFL contract rules and you said you go to overthecap, but you still have suggested contracts which the league wouldn't allow. You can't sign Osgood to a contract like you suggested. Osgood is a soon to be 34 year old 12 year NFL veteran. The minimum base salary he can be signed for is $955K, not the $500K you proposed. If they sign him or some of the other guys you mentioned it needs to be for the veteran minimum on one year deals that don't have signing bonuses which hurt us when we need to cut them when a rookie or other player outperforms them in the preseason.
LizardKing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
I thought for sure Whitner was 31..lol

I like Joyner as well I just don't see Baalke drafting a 5'8" safety, I think it would work though, Reid could do very nicely as a SS.
Well Whitner is 5'9 so there's that. Joyner is a baller and Baalke likes guys who can play the game, even if they don't quite stack up to his ideal measurables. And Joyner's versatility is what makes him intriguing. I wouldnt rule out Joyner strictly due to his size. Though I think he's teammate in the secondary at FSU is quietly a guy who would be on Baalke's radar.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
LizardKing51
Rookie

LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardKing51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Franchise tag for Kaep

I don't think using the franchise tag 3 years in a row on Kaep is realistic. Next year's franchise tag is expecting to be $20M for QBs. A player franchised again gets a minimum 20% raise each time. Franchising him next year would cost $20M then $24M then $29M. What sense would it make to tell Kaep, we won't pay you a $18M per year extension. We are going to force you to take $24.3M per year instead.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing51
I checked out the kicker Anthony Fera from Texas who you mentioned. Everything I had seen before suggested there aren't any kickers coming out ready for the draft this year. The blurbs I read about Fera were that he doesn't have an NFL leg. He hasn't even been strong enough to kick off in college football in 3 years. He has no kickoffs his junior or senior year. He also wasn't used on very many NFL length field goals in his career. In his entire career he has made only 10 field goals over 39 yards that averages out to 2.5 non-chip shot kicks per year. He only has one 50 yard field goal.

I would not put any eggs in his basket. Many college kickers who become NFL kickers aren't ready for a few years after college. Many NFL kickers don't make their first NFL roster until they are 26 or 27 after they continue to develop their legs. Maybe Fera will work on his leg strength over the next 3 or 4 years, but I don't think he is ready. I bet he would hurt the 49ers more than Akers did in 2012. Bad kickers can cause loses. I've seen too many games end with bad kicks to entrust a college kicker who wasn't even making NFL distance kicks in college.
Dawson isnt exactly great on kickoffs either. Granted, he's better than Fera on field goals but when you look at Dawson's first three years in the league, he didnt attempt a single field goal 50+ yards and while I dont know if he was the kickoff guy or not, he had zero touchbacks in those three years. 40-49, Dawson was 9 of 15 which is just 60%. I'm not expecting Fera to come in and do awesome. He probably would take two years to develop and strengthen his leg which is fine by me. I draft him because he's younger, cheaper and while this last reason probably doesnt make any sense whatsoever, its also because im tired of seeing our offense depend on a kicker and field goals. One of the ways to improve in the redzone and to score TD's instead of FG's is by having a kicker who ISNT automatic because it now forces Harbaugh, Roman, the other coaches and players to perform better and score TD's. Most will think im nuts saying this but sometimes, the only way to improve in a certain area is by forcing the issue. I have seen Harbaugh, Roman and the offense give up as early as first and second down trying to score a TD and instead just settle for a FG. I'm tired of it to be honest with you and while most will say that a WR who's a redzone target or a WR who's a deep threat and can spread out the defense is the answer, I agree but its secondary because regardless of who those receivers would be, it doesnt matter if your QB isnt improving his accuracy and the head coach and coaching staff isnt improving the play calling. Not being able to depend on your kicker every damn time forces the issue to where they MUST improve or lose. And field goals will work against inferior or non-offensive teams but the teams that can score points need to be matched and surpassed. Field goals will never ever accomplish that. With that all said, I fully expect the team to re-sign Dawson but me personally, I would let him walk and go draft. Regarding Fera, like I said, he's following in Dawson's footsteps. Dawson was nothing special until at least his fourth season and even then, he was just 78.6% on field goals. Me drafting Fera is more for the future, youth and money/cap reasons as well as the explanation I listed above.

Quote:
I mentioned reading up on NFL contract rules and you said you go to overthecap, but you still have suggested contracts which the league wouldn't allow. You can't sign Osgood to a contract like you suggested. Osgood is a soon to be 34 year old 12 year NFL veteran. The minimum base salary he can be signed for is $955K, not the $500K you proposed. If they sign him or some of the other guys you mentioned it needs to be for the veteran minimum on one year deals that don't have signing bonuses which hurt us when we need to cut them when a rookie or other player outperforms them in the preseason.
I go to overthecap to check player salaries, team's cap room, dead money, etc. I dont read every article. Last article I read was regarding Phillip Wheeler and June 1st cuts. I didnt know the veteran amounts but is that for every year in a contract? ...meaning for my proposed two year deal for Osgood, does that mean he has to have a base of $955k for both seasons or is the second year lower because he's older? Do you have a link to an article that lists all the veteran minimum's? If so, post it so I can bookmark it. Also, does the veteran minimum ever increase/decrease or is it the same every year based on how many years in the league? For example, for a 12 year veteran like Osgood, the minimum is $955k...would that minimum be the same for a different 12 year veteran next year or does it increase/decrease?

As for cutting players, from what I understand, only the signing bonuses and guaranteed money goes against the cap when those players are cut. For example, if you go by the contract I gave Dixon and he gets released in August, the team would take a $1.20m cap hit but if he's released after the 2014 season, the team would take a $900k cap hit. Is that accurate?

And thanks for the info.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think using the franchise tag 3 years in a row on Kaep is realistic. Next year's franchise tag is expecting to be $20M for QBs. A player franchised again gets a minimum 20% raise each time. Franchising him next year would cost $20M then $24M then $29M. What sense would it make to tell Kaep, we won't pay you a $18M per year extension. We are going to force you to take $24.3M per year instead.
I understand your point of view but here's the difference...the team DOESNT have to franchise him three years in a row nor does the team have to give him a long term contract like others have received (Romo, Ryan, Flacco, Cutler, etc.) with huge signing bonuses and guaranteed money the first few years which usually makes those long term deals short term deals.

Reasons why I would wait is pretty much for whats said in that article from FPT as I feel the same way. I want to see Kaepernick improve in 2014 before I was to pay him $18m+ a season. Also, if the team doesnt extend Harbaugh (which I wouldnt do either) and he leaves next off-season which I think is a real possibility, why would I want a QB who perhaps only did good because of the head coach? Also, franchise tag allows me to accept a trade of two first round draft picks which if Harbaugh wants out and leaves and Crabtree wants too much money, I would gladly accept. Teams are held hostage by all these QB's and except for the elite (Eli, Peyton, Brees, Brady, Rodgers and Roethlisberger), I wouldnt give in period because while people may think that not having a franchise QB is bad (see Cle, Jax, Min, etc.), overpaying a QB is worse (see Pit, Dal, etc.) because all do is put the team and managing the cap in a far worse situation.

I dont think that Kaepernick is worth more than $12m a year. Subtract the coaching staff, defense, special teams and the players around him..what does he do? Look at Alex Smith in 2011. Say whatever you want but he guided us to a 13-3 record with less offensive talent than what Kaepernick currently has and to the NFCCG. Losing to the Giants was never on Smith but losing the Super Bowl and to the Seahawks in the NFCCG was on Kaepernick. To me, thats twice. You know what they say...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

If im Baalke and York, I make DAMN SURE that there would be no third time before OVERPAYING Kaepernick. He needs to IMPROVE as a passer period instead of depending on his running and athletic ability because eventually, that wont be enough and in the loss to the Seahawks, it was proven. My friend was showing me these videos on youtube on Kaepernick and then he showed me the 49ers/Giants playoff game where Garcia and Owens come back to beat the Giants and shut up that toothless bastard Strahan. Anyway, he asked me who I would rather have - Kaepernick or Garcia? Quite honestly, I said Garcia because he would actually go through his reads and progressions and was a better passer in terms of accuracy. Granted, he didnt have the arm strength of Kaepernick but his ability as a pocket passer was better than Kaepernick. Garcia also ran ala Young but only when he had to. Kaepernick looks at his first read and if its not there, he panics, scrambles and more times than not, takes off which is another reason I wouldnt pay him now. What happens if the team pays him and he gets injured? That would be a cluster****!!!

With all thats going on in regards to the front office and Harbaugh as well as Kaepernick and Crabtree looking for huge contracts, im sorry but i would wait because while fans will *****, moan and groan about 2003-2010, they forget about one major detail...for the majority of those years, team had no cap room from years of bad decisions and contracts. Getting in that situation again would be worse than having to look for another QB because while there's always the chance you get a worse QB than Kaepernick, there's also the chance you get a better QB than Kaepernick but money wise, once that happens, the percentages of it kicking them in the ass is far greater.

Back to the franchise tag, another option would be to pull the tag if Kaepernick wasnt to sign it quickly. Granted, it would make him a FA with no compensation but if its done after teams pretty much have their rosters set and already spent money in FA, the chances of any team signing Kaepernick wouldnt be as great as some think.

I was 100% on the Kaepernick/Crabtree/Harbaugh bandwagon a year ago but quite honestly, I have almost completely soured on all three of them to where I dont give a damn if they stay or go. My main concern is that I dont want the team to be "stuck" with horrible contracts that they want to get out of in a few years but cant due to the cap hits.

This doesnt help me like Kaepernick either -

Colin Kaepernick said he wants there to be a "balance" between his upcoming contract and the 49ers' ability to sign free agents.
It doesn't sound like Kaepernick is going to try to squeeze every dollar out of the 49ers in negotiations. "You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," he said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back." In addition to those two unrestricted free agents, plenty of other core 49ers are eligible for extensions. Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith and Mike Iupati will each be seeking monster paydays.
Source: Sacramento Bee Jan 30 - 12:26 PM

Just six weeks ago, Kaepernick comes across like he's willing to take less to help the team re-sign other free agents, etc. but all of a sudden, all I keep reading is how he wants $20m a year and wont accept anything less. Granted, who knows whats true but I would lean towards him wanting $20m a year as what is true because if he really would take less (say $15m), I think that the team would have extended him already.

Either way, just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 PM    (permalink
LizardKing51
Rookie

Default Veteran minimums

The following figures are for 2014. They have been increasing $15K every year recently, though those future increases could change or even be stagnant for any future year.

Minimums for 2014: Rookie $420K, 1st year $495K, 2nd $570K, 3rd $645K, 4th to 6th $730K, 7th to 9th $855K, 10th plus $955K.

Players contracts are usually not guaranteed in the preseason. Any player on the 53 man roster going into the week 1 game has that season's salary guaranteed for the rest of that season. First round draft picks have guaranteed contracts for their first 3 seasons. Some players might have their first season or two guaranteed at the time of the signing. That varies. Some players have contracts partially guaranteed for injury, but aren't guaranteed for performance and can be cut in the preseason without getting any base salary.

A player signed for their minimum on a one year contract with no more than a $65K signing bonus will only count $570K against the cap. I don't see much reason to tie these type players up to long contracts. You need flexibility during the season to cut and sign players due to injuries. You don't want significant signing bonuses for these type of players in case you need to cut them in season, even if it is only for a few weeks to fill in for a temporary position of need. You also don't want to give them signing bonuses in case they get beat out in the preseason. You want there to be competition at the bottom of the roster, not people who have already been paid half of their money for the year up front in March before they have earned their job.

It is a difficult calculation as to what Kaep is worth since he hasn't even started two seasons worth of games. We don't know what either side are asking for, and the media speculations have been all over the place proving they don't really know squat. I doubt the media are getting accurate summaries of the phone calls or meetings between Marathe and Kaep's agent. I do know Marathe has gotten better deals signed with players than people usually expect other than the Rogers deal.

I am lost on your views on a kicker. You don't want a good one since you don't like the 49ers red zone efficiency. The success and failure of the 49ers being able to punch it into the end zone shouldn't be blamed on the kicker. The only pass catchers with red zone frames are Baldwin and V. Davis. Crabtree and Boldin are better in other parts of the field.

Saying you don't want a reliable kicker to force the offense to be better is like saying you don't want Ed Reed on your team in his prime because you have terrible cornerbacks who are getting burnt and you don't want Ed Reed bailing them out. Teams need a good reliable kicker. Kickers win and lose a lot of games in the last few seconds every year. By the way, Phil Dawson didn't kick in the NFL straight out of college. He was on a practice squad.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
The following figures are for 2014. They have been increasing $15K every year recently, though those future increases could change or even be stagnant for any future year.

Minimums for 2014: Rookie $420K, 1st year $495K, 2nd $570K, 3rd $645K, 4th to 6th $730K, 7th to 9th $855K, 10th plus $955K.

Players contracts are usually not guaranteed in the preseason. Any player on the 53 man roster going into the week 1 game has that season's salary guaranteed for the rest of that season. First round draft picks have guaranteed contracts for their first 3 seasons. Some players might have their first season or two guaranteed at the time of the signing. That varies. Some players have contracts partially guaranteed for injury, but aren't guaranteed for performance and can be cut in the preseason without getting any base salary.

A player signed for their minimum on a one year contract with no more than a $65K signing bonus will only count $570K against the cap. I don't see much reason to tie these type players up to long contracts. You need flexibility during the season to cut and sign players due to injuries. You don't want significant signing bonuses for these type of players in case you need to cut them in season, even if it is only for a few weeks to fill in for a temporary position of need. You also don't want to give them signing bonuses in case they get beat out in the preseason. You want there to be competition at the bottom of the roster, not people who have already been paid half of their money for the year up front in March before they have earned their job.
Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it. If I get the chance, I'll fix those contracts.

Quote:
It is a difficult calculation as to what Kaep is worth since he hasn't even started two seasons worth of games. We don't know what either side are asking for, and the media speculations have been all over the place proving they don't really know squat. I doubt the media are getting accurate summaries of the phone calls or meetings between Marathe and Kaep's agent. I do know Marathe has gotten better deals signed with players than people usually expect other than the Rogers deal.
Please dont remind me of that Rogers deal. UGH. Worst move by far since Baalke became GM. As for Kaepernick, who knows what the truth is but either way, I would just let him play out 2014 and see how the season and he progresses.

Quote:
I am lost on your views on a kicker. You don't want a good one since you don't like the 49ers red zone efficiency. The success and failure of the 49ers being able to punch it into the end zone shouldn't be blamed on the kicker. The only pass catchers with red zone frames are Baldwin and V. Davis. Crabtree and Boldin are better in other parts of the field.

Saying you don't want a reliable kicker to force the offense to be better is like saying you don't want Ed Reed on your team in his prime because you have terrible cornerbacks who are getting burnt and you don't want Ed Reed bailing them out. Teams need a good reliable kicker. Kickers win and lose a lot of games in the last few seconds every year. By the way, Phil Dawson didn't kick in the NFL straight out of college. He was on a practice squad.
I'm not blaming the kicker even though that short kickoff Dawson had which was returned for a damn good gain happened too many times during the season. If Fera (or whichever rookie) also has short kickoffs, better to pay the cheaper guy if the results are the same.

My entire point is that Harbaugh, Roman and the offense DEPEND way too much on their kicker and to me, thats more of a negative than a positive because offensively, the team should be scoring touchdowns, not field goals. Too much skill and talent on offense to always have to settle for field goals. They also give up sometimes too soon and just settle for field goals because they have an excellent kicker. Subtract that and they're forced to get better at scoring touchdowns. They're forced to come up with better game plans, better play-calling and better execution. And I know that sounds stupid but to me, having an excellent kicker is more of a negative than a positive because the offense will never improve in scoring touchdowns. They will always settle for the field goals and honestly, im tired of seeing that especially when more times than not, they usually move the ball down the field with ease but then to settle for field goals just isnt good whatsoever. Add in the fact that a rookie is cheaper, younger, under contract for four years and that we have at least 12 draft picks this year and quite simply, I get my kicker in the draft. Rookie kickers have done good (Bailey and Tucker off the top of my head) but Harbaugh is too dependent on veterans which is a reason why im hoping that Dawson, Brown, Whitner, etc. will sign somewhere else. Baalke re-signed Rogers mainly because Harbaugh wanted to keep him just like he wants to keep these guys and I disagree with that because you dont keep older guys as they're only going to decline. Dawson may be the exception since he's a kicker but I wouldnt be surprised at all to see us re-sign Dawson and in 2014, he ends up being Akers from 2012. Not saying that will happen and not saying that I want that to happen. I just wouldnt be shocked or surprised if it did.

Dawson was UDFA but his first three seasons on an active roster wasnt exactly impressive. He was solid for an UDFA but thats it. I just prefer drafting a kicker and going from there.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Side notes -

Grimes signed a 4 year $32m deal and now Shields re-signed with GB for 4 years and $39m. Market is definitely favoring the sellers as opposed to the buyers. I dont see any chance of Brown coming back. Sadly though, I see Rogers hanging around a little while longer. Does anyone know when his roster bonus is due?

Read the reports about us being interested in Bennett and can understand us trying to increase his price for Seattle but I would be shocked and surprised if we actually sign him. That would be a horrible signing.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reasonable prediction: For competitive advantage purposes, they'll bring in Bennett for a visit to try and pull info out of him about SEA then never make a qualifying offer. More cat and mouse between the Niners and Seachickens on bringing in each other's former players.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

updated mock draft :rounds 1-4

1. First round – No. 30 overall - brandon cooks - wr
2. Second round – No. 56 overall (from the Kansas City Chiefs) - larmarucs joyner cb/s
3. Second round – No. 61 overall - yawin smallwood ilb
4. Third round – No. 77 overall (from the Tennessee Titans) -craig loston - s
5. Third round – No. 94 overall - ra'shede hageman - nt
6. Fourth round – aaron murray - qb
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With cromartie and jarred Allen. Sf should sign those guys! Would be nice.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good mock draft chapo. Dt is fine in later rounds. I rather draft a kicker them qb.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
With cromartie and jarred Allen. Sf should sign those guys! Would be nice.
Hell no. Neither are worth what they'll most likely be looking for.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I respectfully disagree with Brandon Cooks. I'm tired of short receivers. We need someone that can go get those jump balls on fade routes that Kaepernick loves to throw in the redzone.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Hell no. Neither are worth what they'll most likely be looking for.
Why because their over 30?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Why because their over 30?
Or because Cromartie has a bad hip, is coming off the worst season of his career and will cost more than Brown and Rodgers.

Or because Allen would be a bench player (behind A. Smith and A. Brooks) at a position he's never played, at nearly $10 million/year.

But yeah... it's because of their age.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone think we'll make a day 1 signing in FA?

Matt Barrows said the 49ers were interested in CB Nolan Carroll of the Dolphins. Haven't heard us linked to anyone else.

Also, it seems like the Browns are interested in Donte Whitner. I was on another message board and i read that they're preparing to offer him a 5 year deal...
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Or because Cromartie has a bad hip, is coming off the worst season of his career and will cost more than Brown and Rodgers.

Or because Allen would be a bench player (behind A. Smith and A. Brooks) at a position he's never played, at nearly $10 million/year.

But yeah... it's because of their age.
This...and yeah, their age. Dont want or need either.

If I was going to waste $10m+ on a FA, I would prefer Verner the most followed by Revis if he's released as expected.

Realistically, no thanks to any and all of them. Also, no interest in Michael Vick as a backup QB. Not interested in CB Nolan Carroll from MIA either.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Anyone think we'll make a day 1 signing in FA?

Matt Barrows said the 49ers were interested in CB Nolan Carroll of the Dolphins. Haven't heard us linked to anyone else.

Also, it seems like the Browns are interested in Donte Whitner. I was on another message board and i read that they're preparing to offer him a 5 year deal...
Just read about us being interested in Carroll. Not really interested in him at all. Quite honestly, I would re-sign Cox and then draft a CB early and again in the mid to late rounds.

Better the Browns than us. Would have been funny if Harbaugh did go to Cleveland. He could have pushed for Whitner, etc.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Whitner is as good as gone at this point. The Niners were hoping that he may slip through the cracks a little at the start of FA but he's on too many reports as a target to believe that he'll be available for very long. If they could bring him back on a reasonable 2-3 year deal, I'd be all for it, but this 5 years nonsense that CLE may reportedly do is not something the Niners will do, nor do they need to. Whitner seems committed to winning and being on a team that has a chance to make a deep run, especially after he was drafted by the Bills and had several uninspiring seasons there. But, if we see him sign a 4-5 year deal with someone like CLE, we'll know where his head was at. At least he'd be returning 'home' in Ohio and would have that excuse.

I'd rather the Niners use available money on locking up guys like Aldon, Iupati, Kap and Crabtree at this point.

Several reports last night indicated that Revis may be available today. He's someone that would be potentially pricey but if they could commit dollars to him in the range of what Roger's salary cap hit was going to be this year, I'm all for bringing him in for a starting CB spot. If Revis still wants $10-$15M per year plus, he'll definitely come to the Bay.....as a member of the Raiders.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's been a pleasure Whitner. I'll miss his presence. I was hoping he would slip through the cracks, but if Cleveland is offering him a good deal I could see him taking it. You can't just leave money on the table as a free agent in his position. This is probably the last big payday he'll get. It's a shame. He won't be competing for Super Bowl anymore though. Just playing for a paycheck. I hope that is that he wants.

Maybe we can still retain Brown. Safety just became another priority. I don't see the 49ers going after any big free agents this offseason. Jarius Byrd would be great, but I'd be shocked if the 49ers got in a bidding war for him. They don't have much money at this point, and trying to lock up another superstar with expiring deals on the horizon just doesn't seem practical. We'll have to hope we get some young guys in the draft that can come in and make an impact right away. Calvin Pryor anyone? I wanted us to take a receiver or corner with our first pick, but now I think safety is more important with Whitner leaving.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 03-11-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whitner to CLE, 4 years/$28 not a surprise but a little disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Antoine Bethea? Has anyone else heard that we signed this guy? I haven't seen him play in a while...

Quote:
Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

It's official, Antoine Bethea signs a 4 year deal for $26 million, how has this guy looked these past 2 years?

Quote: