Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
There isn't a guarantee on Raji...
There isnt a guarantee on anyone who has yet to play a down in the NFL...

That said...

I'm not a big fan of Raji, big DT's scare me in every draft (seem to always hear the same thing: "underachiever, inconsistent motor", in most cases) but I would rather draft him than a RT at #10.

I am looking for a game changer at #10. I know how important an O-lineman is, but I think we can find a good RT in rounds 2 or 3. I'm looking for a Stafford, a Crabtree, a Maclin, a Curry, or a Jenkins at #10. Potential playmakers.

I am usually one who says to build along the O and D lines in just about every draft, but dammit I'm tired of not having any explosive players on either side of the ball. I mean Gore has his moments, and Willis is a beast, but we need more playmakers.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since we got Spikes back how does it impact our draft dreams? I think it pretty much shattered my dreams of seeing Worrell Williams or Jasper Brinkley teaming up with P-Willis.

As for the 10 spot.. I really want either Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo. Pick your poison..

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
I'm not a big fan of Raji, big DT's scare me in every draft (seem to always hear the same thing: "underachiever, inconsistent motor", in most cases) but I would rather draft him than a RT at #10.

I am looking for a game changer at #10. I know how important an O-lineman is, but I think we can find a good RT in rounds 2 or 3. I'm looking for a Stafford, a Crabtree, a Maclin, a Curry, or a Jenkins at #10. Potential playmakers.

I am usually one who says to build along the O and D lines in just about every draft, but dammit I'm tired of not having any explosive players on either side of the ball. I mean Gore has his moments, and Willis is a beast, but we need more playmakers.
If Crabs fell to 10 (by some sort of miracle) I would love him to be the pick. Curry is another I would love to see fall but both of those guys are unlikely to, thus I turn my attention to defensive playmakers: Brown & Orakpo, either of them would be nice upgrades for the pass rush. Regardless, as I have said before, I think it's going to be OT.

Had Mays come out, that would have been my favorite choice but alas that is not the case.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Crabs fell to 10 (by some sort of miracle) I would love him to be the pick. Curry is another I would love to see fall but both of those guys are unlikely to, thus I turn my attention to defensive playmakers: Brown & Orakpo, either of them would be nice upgrades for the pass rush. Regardless, as I have said before, I think it's going to be OT.

Had Mays come out, that would have been my favorite choice but alas that is not the case.
I've seen weirder stuff happen bro. If Crabtree fell to us, I would cream my pants. I'm not so hot about Curry but he'd help us out nonetheless. Brown and Orakpo are more realistic and would be, like I said, picking your poison.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Since we got Spikes back how does it impact our draft dreams? I think it pretty much shattered my dreams of seeing Worrell Williams or Jasper Brinkley teaming up with P-Willis.
I disagree. The team currently has 2 TED ILBs

1. Takeo Spikes
2. Jeff Ulbrich

Draft Brinkley or Williams please, Spikes can't play forever.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Crabtree love has confused me all season. There's nothing about his game that screams "can't miss" top-10. Don't get me wrong, he is obviously a talent but alot about him scares me. That and I've never been a proponent of "hoping someone falls in the draft". If they're falling, there's a reason, and sometimes it's important to pay attention to those reasons.

The best comparison I can cme up with for Crabtree is that he is a slower, shorter Braylon Edwards with better hands. That doesn't scream "lock #1 WR" to me.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
The Crabtree love has confused me all season. There's nothing about his game that screams "can't miss" top-10. Don't get me wrong, he is obviously a talent but alot about him scares me. That and I've never been a proponent of "hoping someone falls in the draft". If they're falling, there's a reason, and sometimes it's important to pay attention to those reasons.

The best comparison I can cme up with for Crabtree is that he is a slower, shorter Braylon Edwards with better hands. That doesn't scream "lock #1 WR" to me.
When someone falls it doesn't necessarily mean that the teams that passed on him knows a secret no one else does. It doesn't mean the prospect has a flaw. It might mean the only team before us that supposedly needed a receiver, doesn't need a receiver, and thus he falls to us.

I don't know about the speed thing. I do know he's better after the catch than Braylon and didn't play in a pro style offense like Braylon did. He displays better natural hands than Braylon but Braylon positions his body better when fighting for a ball. IMO, there two different receiver but two of my favorite nonetheless.

To not be in love with Michael Crabtree, I would think you didn't watch any Tech games at all this season.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Actually I saw 6 or 7 games this season and a handful last season. I like him. I LOVED Calvin Johnson. They're in no way similar. CJ screamed "lock". Crabtree does not.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Actually I saw 6 or 7 games this season and a handful last season. I like him. I LOVED Calvin Johnson. They're in no way similar. CJ screamed "lock". Crabtree does not.
Crabs was pretty dinged up most the year and just played hurt. As someone who has seen him live and numerous times on TV in the past two years, I have nothing but adoration for his abilities.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Don't get me wrong. I do like him. I just have questions about his abilities outside of a wide open offense. Would I complain if the 49ers were able to draft him, absolutely not. But to say that if he's still on the board at #10 he ABSOLUTELY HAS to be the guy taken... I won't say that.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

what about trading down and getting rey maualuga? you guys are bringing up age, he can play middle. i'm not sold on orakapo. i feel like he's got one move and would love the bengals or browns to take him. everette brown would be solid but now i'm kind of curious since sf has not signed any de's, dt's, or ilb's.

on a side note, i am cool w/ balmer playing dt no need to take raji @ 10. sopo though however, at times this season look lost. don' t like franklin much either. still think a guy like ron brace or terrance taylor in the later rounds are a better fit than sopo, franklin or fields even.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I dont think we'll trade down but I bet that is what Scot is hoping for.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

my mock

1. everette brown
2. phil loadholt
3. patrick chung - fs/ss
4. jermiah johnson - rb
5. worrell williams - ilb
6. myron pryor - dt
7. stephen mcgee - qb
Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
my mock

1. everette brown
2. phil loadholt
3. patrick chung - fs/ss
4. jermiah johnson - rb
6. myron pryor - dt
7. stephen mcgee - qb
I'd love that

Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

Quote:
I dont think we'll trade down but I bet that is what Scot is hoping for.
i think their is volume in this draft just nobody that jumps out. there is no way in he*l i'd trade up for anyone right now besides j.smith or aaron curry.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

Quote:
I'd love that
i hope thats the way it goes
Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
my mock

1. everette brown
2. phil loadholt
3. patrick chung - fs/ss
4. jermiah johnson - rb
6. myron pryor - dt
7. stephen mcgee - qb
That is about perfect.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I do like him. I just have questions about his abilities outside of a wide open offense. Would I complain if the 49ers were able to draft him, absolutely not. But to say that if he's still on the board at #10 he ABSOLUTELY HAS to be the guy taken... I won't say that.
For me, the negatives I hear about Crabtree (aside from the offense he played in) sound a lot like the ones I heard about Anquan when he came out. Doesn't have the separation, can't be a #1 guy, good hands, glorified posession receievere, etc...

And the questions/concerns about his offense can be solved by watching film. He can either run routes or he can't. Yes, his stats are inflated for sure, but his ABILITIES don't change. A ten yard dig in Martz's offense is the same as a 10 yard dig in Raye's, just like it is in any other.

If he falls, he is the pick in my opinion.

With that said, :) he won't fall.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This may be a reach, but do you think the common set of values (yes, the religion card) is going to benefit us today with Singletary and Warner?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
This may be a reach, but do you think the common set of values (yes, the religion card) is going to benefit us today with Singletary and Warner?
maybe.
if the intent of making alex smith your future @ qb this is the guy to mentor him. Hill with all do respect can' teach smith all that warner does. the offense is real young and a proven winner like warner would be a great and welcomed addition to this tem.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all these conversations in the sports news going on about Cutler, I'm surprised nobody on here is commenting on him. Let me be the first, saying that if Denver is silly enough to trade him, we should do what it takes to get Jay. He would be an easy answer to our QBOTF question, and if it takes our first or second pick this year, that's a small price to pay. Trade for Jay, release/restructure Alex, get another OT to protect him, a big back to bruise, a WR to develop, and that would be one hell of a talented young offense!

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
With all these conversations in the sports news going on about Cutler, I'm surprised nobody on here is commenting on him. Let me be the first, saying that if Denver is silly enough to trade him, we should do what it takes to get Jay. He would be an easy answer to our QBOTF question, and if it takes our first or second pick this year, that's a small price to pay. Trade for Jay, release/restructure Alex, get another OT to protect him, a big back to bruise, a WR to develop, and that would be one hell of a talented young offense!
I think it hasn't been discussed because it sounds pretty far fetched. I can't imagine a new regime in Denver trading away it's best building block for the franchise.

In order for it to work though, I think our front office would have to sell the notion to the broncos, that we are targetting Sanchez. Sanchez and a 2nd for Cutler is how Denver would view that. And if that's the case, maybe they would wait till draft day like a Rivers/Manning type trade, so that they are ensured sanchez would indeed be there so they don't trade cutler and miss out on sanchez (ha ha, that would be hillarious).

I just have a difficult time believing Denver would be willing to part ways with him.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

As for Cutler, Peter King is reporting that Cutler asked to be traded weeks ago and when McDaniels actually considered it, he started playing the "victim" card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter King
I heard one other interesting thing Sunday: Cutler asked for a trade shortly after the Broncos lost offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates -- Cutler's confidant -- to USC after the season. So maybe both sides need to go into marriage counseling here.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Peter King sucks. We could never get Cutler, so it's a mute point.

However, things seem to be heating up with the Warner talks. I don't know what's going on there but I don't think we're a good fit for Warner.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think we're a good fit for Warner.
I don't think that he's a good fit for half our cap space!

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote