Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully Smith's restructure will put a full stop on the Smith bashing threads out there. Personally I am pleased to have him back, wish him all the best and hope that it will improve the 9ers (even if Hill beats him out). I think its honourable that he accepted less to stay with us because he felt a sense duty and a desire to make this situation right. I dont know of too many athletes in this professional world willing to do that.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll agree that his loyalty to the team is to commended, but he's gonna have to really show me something if he wants to be the starter.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This video always makes me feel good about Alex. People tend to forget about his potential. I realize he still has alot to prove and improvement to make, but he is still just 24. This video shows what he was able to do without Gore (aside from 2 plays) and Antonio Bryant "making him look good". Thanks J77 for this vid.

Last edited by phlysac : 03-10-2009 at 03:15 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When Alex was good, he was really good. When he was bad....well, we know about that. If he doesn't have permanent damage to his shoulder, then his upside is still a factor. Hopefully he makes the most out of his two years.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really glad to have him back and i'm excited to watch him and Shaun battle it out. This should be the end of the Sanchez talk.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 03-10-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten
Hey, you can insult me all you want, but you leave Pau Gasol out of this! That was just a pic I picked at random and to have something to go along with my posts when I first came here. I've just never bothered with changing it. I'll find something just for you, Dan.
Nah, im not going to insult you. That would be too easy. LOL. Seriously, if you want to put a pic of something related to the crappy Lakers, put a photo of Bryant's wife Vanessa which is the ONLY good thing about Bryant to begin with. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten
Oh, I agree that Hill is the best starter we have on the roster. That doesnt mean that I agree he'd be better than Sanchez. And my last post regarding Sanchez was trying to get the people who say "he's only started 16 games" to think about what I posted and I would've liked to hear what they have to say about it. I know where you stand, Dan. You didnt really answer my question though.
I think I was pretty clear regarding my stance on Sanchez (or any QB for that matter including Stafford). Like everyone else has said - "he's only started 16 games" but here's what people left out - "he's only started 16 games (obviously) at the COLLEGE LEVEL" so why the hell should the team waste the 10th overall draft pick on him when Hill has already established himself and showed that he can play good and help us win games???

We drafted Smith who's been a bust thus far and has easily been surpassed by Aaron Rodgers. No reason to take that chance right now when you have a veteran QB wo has proven time and time again that he can play good and win us games. Since we released Garcia, the only QB's that I ever wanted to see us draft were Eli Manning and Matt Leinart. Granted, Leinart hasnt worked out but he was drafted by Dennis Green and when there's a new coaching regime, everything changes. Look at DEN, Cutler is a solid QB but McDaniels came in and tried to get "his" guy in Cassel but the problem is that you're just going to piss off who you already have while at the same time, trying to break in someone new who no one obviously knows.

Its not worth the risk. Stay with Hill as the starter, Smith as the backup and Huard as the veteran third stringer.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith re-did his contract because in the end, his agent couldnt find anyone willing to pay him what SF was in order to keep him. Look at guys like Leftwich, Losman, Grossman, etc. They're average at best and still UFA's so obviously, no one was going to offer Smith what he's going to make as a backup in SF.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Romo is good but let's see how he does without T.O. My predictionfor the drugboys is 6-10 at best. The scapegoat is gone which means everything will fall on his shoulders. Good luck Tony, you're going to need it and by the way, I suggest marrying Jessica Simpson because if you end up being a crapper, at least you can always divorce her ass and get half her money. Hahaha.

LMFAO.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Smith re-did his contract because in the end, his agent couldnt find anyone willing to pay him what SF was in order to keep him. Look at guys like Leftwich, Losman, Grossman, etc. They're average at best and still UFA's so obviously, no one was going to offer Smith what he's going to make as a backup in SF.
They kept Alex in to compete with Shaun I doubt they kept him to back him up.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
They kept Alex in to compete with Shaun I doubt they kept him to back him up.
I know that. The reason he re-structured his contract was because he didnt have any other offers out there they would pay him as much as he's getting to stay in SF. They kept him beause it's a lot cheaper to pay him to stay than it woud be to pay a top ten QB and with much less risk.

Smith can compete with Hill all he wants but it should be Hill's job to lose and im not talking about pre-season or in training camp. I'm talking about the regular season when wins and losses actually matter.

Nothing against Smith but his only good season came when he had Turner as his OC, a dominant running game and OL (which amazingly including a healthy Jennings) and an actual number one WR in Bryant. Plus, he's coming off of shoulder surgery. Sorry but if Hill isnt the starter come opening day, then, York mine as well just fire everyone right now and start over from scratch.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I know that. The reason he re-structured his contract was because he didnt have any other offers out there they would pay him as much as he's getting to stay in SF. They kept him beause it's a lot cheaper to pay him to stay than it woud be to pay a top ten QB and with much less risk.

Smith can compete with Hill all he wants but it should be Hill's job to lose and im not talking about pre-season or in training camp. I'm talking about the regular season when wins and losses actually matter.

Nothing against Smith but his only good season came when he had Turner as his OC, a dominant running game and OL (which amazingly including a healthy Jennings) and an actual number one WR in Bryant. Plus, he's coming off of shoulder surgery. Sorry but if Hill isnt the starter come opening day, then, York mine as well just fire everyone right now and start over from scratch.
I wouldn't go that far Alex has been our clear cut starter since the mid-season his rookie year. Either way competition will make them both better.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Really glad to have him back and i'm excited to watch him and Shaun battle it out. This should be the end of the Sanchez talk.
It should be but it won't be.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to a source, Smith will make $4 million a season in 2009 and 2010, in addition to base salaries that weren't immediately made known.

In his previous contract, he was scheduled to make $24.6 million in the final two years.

"We have reached an agreement with Alex and his agent to keep him as a member of the San Francisco 49ers," general manager Scot McCloughan said in a statement. "Alex expressed a deep interest to remain with the team and that feeling was mutual."

Other teams had shown interest in Smith, who is only 24 years old and has four years of NFL experience. Those teams were willing to pay him more than his 49ers deal, according to a source, but Smith was insistent on making something work in San Francisco.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3967496

Sorry dan.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Pace is now available at OT... that is a need, but does he have enough in the tank to be worth signing?
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Those teams were willing to pay him more than his 49ers deal
That's pretty interesting.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's also speculation.

Regarding Pace, he would be worth taking a look at, if they don't plan on going OT at 10. But having Pace, Staley, and a high paid OT drafted at 10 doesn't make sense, especially, with Snyder already on the roster as a reliable backup. I doubt they'll make a push for him.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
That's also speculation.

Regarding Pace, he would be worth taking a look at, if they don't plan on going OT at 10. But having Pace, Staley, and a high paid OT drafted at 10 doesn't make sense, especially, with Snyder already on the roster as a reliable backup. I doubt they'll make a push for him.
Well, they said a source told them that. In journalism, a source is often someone involved with the news event. So, I dont know if that is really speculation.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Doesn't surprise me he is still young and talented, and hopefully can still be the future.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I a bad fan if I say I'm not impressed with Smith and could care less if he is our future?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Am I a bad fan if I say I'm not impressed with Smith and could care less if he is our future?
If you root for a member of the 49ers to play poorly? Could be questioned.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
To not care or to not be impressed is fine but if you don't want to see him succeed then I would have to say that is being a bad fan, even if you don't like the guy or dont think he will succeed.

I don't think he's going to be the answer but if by some chance he looked amazing leading up to the season and all through practices/training camp/preseason, then they started him entering the season and he did well (I know that is a lot). I suppose if that happened I can't say I'd be all that upset.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Seriously, I'm ready to trade him for a bag of field chalk. All this Hill vs. Romo talk just brought it out of me.

[crying] I just miss the good 'ol days with Joe and Steve.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I just want one of them to be our guy idc which one.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I just miss the good 'ol days with Joe and Steve.
How dare you forget:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I just want one of them to be our guy idc which one.
Definitely.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Well, they said a source told them that. In journalism, a source is often someone involved with the news event. So, I dont know if that is really speculation.
A source could also be the player's agent, which in a case of contract talks, could mean that he wants leverage. Just like Rosenhaus said their were "several teams" in the running for T.O. and the best deal he could get was for 1 year in a cold as hell place (where T.O.'s weaknesses will likely be showcased) that is a relatively small market. I know what a "source" is, but it doesn't mean that the "source" is legit, or that it isn't biased. Many "sources" in sports news are complete S***!