Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac25fan View Post
I think we have seen the best of Hill... I just hope he can duplicate his "Trent Dilfer with the Ravens" impression and be good enough to give us a chance to win. He has pulled it off so far, but his upside is small from what I've seen.
if he wins and davis pulls his head out of his as* and thinks team first both these ladies will do just fine
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa230 View Post
Whats to hate about Kropog... IMO hes underated
His weaknesses are "killer instinct" and power in the run game. Two things ideal for a RT to have.

Besides that.... (2:26 - 2:30) of this video is EVERYTING I hate about Kropog...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f40421
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Niners general manager Scot McCloughan, writing for 49ers.com, says Reggie Smith will make the conversion from cornerback to safety. McCloughan: "Our plan right now is to move him to safety knowing that he has background from college playing both corner and safety. The best position for him on our roster, not just this year but in the future, is safety. Can he play free or strong safety? I think it can be either one. I think he'll line up at the position that gives us the best depth and competition. He will be at safety this year, but we still know that he has played corner and he can play corner so it's nice to have that versatility."

Dan, you got your wish.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
WOW!!!!

Add Reggie Smith
Subtract Mark Roman

FS position is already SO MUCH BETTER.
One strange part of this though is that Scott said he might even be a Strong Safety. I didn't see that coming lol.

I hope:
FS: Competition between: Dashon Goldson and Reggie Smith
SS: Starter: Michael Lewis Backup: Jimmy Williams
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great move IMO. I thought he was a S coming out anyways, it seems like all the CB/S tweeners always end up as safety's.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This move is potentially opening the door for a Michael Jenkins possibility at #10.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

Haralson98 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If they select Malcolm Jenkins do you think Walt Harris will be cut.
Haralson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

Haralson98 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Pretty Simple, I don't believe any of them will be there at #10. Expect Everette Brown, Michael Oher, Andre Smith, and maybe even Jeremy Maclin to be there at 10 when the 49ers pick.
Haralson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haralson98 View Post
If they select Malcolm Jenkins do you think Walt Harris will be cut.
No. Not this season. It would likely spell the end for Marcus Hudson and Donald Strickland and Shawntae Spencer would need to show he's recovered from ACL surgery.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Davis has been a disappointment since he was drafted and Eric Johnson was a bigger receiving threat than Davis has been thus far.
I was a big Eric Johnson fan, too. Sadly, he couldnt stay healthy and thus was let go.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we draft Jenkins at 10, I would release Harris and keep Spencer, Hudson, Brown and Strickland because they're younger and have a bigger upside.

And Smith being moved to where he belongs - FS, makes me very very happy. Yeah, I know that McCloughan said that he could play SS and/or FS but SS is set with M. Lewis. FS should be between Smith and Goldson. I'm hoping that Smith wins the competition.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I was a big Eric Johnson fan, too. Sadly, he couldnt stay healthy and thus was let go.
Yeah, I know Johnson was injury prone but except for 2006, so was Jonas Jennings and he sucks and yet, he's still hanging around. I personally would have re-signed Johnson but that's just me.

I never wanted Davis to begin with and while I was off the mark in regards to Chad Jackson and Sinorice Moss, its not like Davis has done much better.

With all that said, I would like to see Davis put in the slot ala Gonzalez, Gates, Clark, etc. and see what he can do. If he doesnt breakout in 2009, he'll be gone once his contract expires.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
And Smith being moved to where he belongs - FS, makes me very very happy. Yeah, I know that McCloughan said that he could play SS and/or FS but SS is set with M. Lewis. FS should be between Smith and Goldson. I'm hoping that Smith wins the competition.
Just to be clear, they were playing Reggie at SS, not FS. Dashon was playing FS.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

With Lewis set at SS, shouldnt Smith be given the chance to start at FS? I like Lewis and think that he's been what Parrish was for us when he replaced Schulters.

I just think that with his coverage skills, Smith would be better suited to play FS which means Lewis can play closer to the LOS which is his strong suit.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

If Vernon Davis played on the 2004 team he'd have had 82 catches as well. Quite simply EJ was the ONLY receiving option on that team.

In the one season the played together (2006) ...
EJ - 2.62 catches/game - 22.5 yards/game - 8.6 YPR - 4.3 YAC - 2TD
VD - 2.0 catches/game - 26.5 yards/game - 13.3 YPR - 6.4 YAC - 3TD

In fact, VD's 52 receptions in 2007 were more than EJ had in ANY year other than 2004. I loved Johnson, but I feel it is unfair and short-sighted to believe he was a better TE than VD because of one good season.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Vernon Davis played on the 2004 team he'd have had 82 catches as well. Quite simply EJ was the ONLY receiving option on that team.

In the one season the played together (2006) ...
EJ - 2.62 catches/game - 22.5 yards/game - 8.6 YPR - 4.3 YAC - 2TD
VD - 2.0 catches/game - 26.5 yards/game - 13.3 YPR - 6.4 YAC - 3TD

In fact, VD's 52 receptions in 2007 were more than EJ had in ANY year other than 2004. I loved Johnson, but I feel it is unfair and short-sighted to believe he was a better TE than VD because of one good season.
I agree he was the only guy that could catch on that team. Reggie getting moved is great news that we all have been waiting for.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiocco
Manny Lawson has added some weight, too. He looks bigger. He is 250 pounds, which he hopes will enable him to stay on the field and become a pass-rusher this season.

The 49ers are going to be in a 3-4 defense (not the hybrid that the club used under former coach Mike Nolan). Lawson said both he and Parys Haralson will be getting after the quarterback this season from the outside-linebacker positions.

Of course, Lawson was drafted for his pass-rush ability. But the 49ers never used him in those situations.

"My role was in coverage, and I did my best at it," Lawson said.

So if you want to know which round the 49ers are going to take a pass-rusher in the draft, the answer appears to be: the first round . . . of the 2006 draft.q
Good news. Been waiting an age for him to put a bit of weight on, should be a break out year for him (touch wood). Sorry Brent, but this might end the push for Brown...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
Good news. Been waiting an age for him to put a bit of weight on, should be a break out year for him (touch wood). Sorry Brent, but this might end the push for Brown...
You state that because of this we may not be looking at a pass rusher in the 1st round. Someone else stated that we offered Marvel Smith a contract so they believed that would take us out of the running for an OT in the the 1st round, if he signs ofcourse.

Now there is no way of knowing what is true at this point or what will happen, but where does that leave us at?

Raji probably wont make it to 10. I dont see Crabtree making it to 10 either. I guess Jenkins could be a possibility at 10. Quarterback? hmm...

I dont agree with any of this talk, but this is just some things that others have posted on this thread. Something to think about.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

any thoughts on andre smith at 10?
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
any thoughts on andre smith at 10?
He is the ONLY RT prospect I'm interested in at #10.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
They said they'll take BPA, regardless of position. It'll probably be a RT barring someone unexpectedly falling. I'll still hold out hope haha.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

It's really hard to say. Many "experts" have tremendously different feelings towards Brown. I, personally loved him during games, but his testing at the combine was scary average.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I just think that with his coverage skills, Smith would be better suited to play FS which means Lewis can play closer to the LOS which is his strong suit.
First, Lewis wasnt there this weekend because he's at the player's union meetings. As for Dashon, he has great ball skills. He often looks great in practice, picking off lots of passes. Now, they're finally letting him play in the games. Reggie is solid against the run and he's pretty physical, so it would make sense to try him at SS.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's really hard to say. Many "experts" have tremendously different feelings towards Brown. I, personally loved him during games, but his testing at the combine was scary average.
I think i'd rather have a freak on film, and an "average" guy in shorts. Than a guy who spends the better part of his senior year prepping for the combine.

Same thing goes for Andre Smith. Maybe i'm just blinded by the awe that is Mike Singletary, but I think any red flag raised by Smith can be lowered by our head coach. So all this BS surrounding HIS combine does not outweigh the way HE played either.

Can you guys imagine what Jerry Rice would have looked like at the combine? Scary average may have been the best he could hope for. At the end of the day, football is football.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

I agree that football is football and I've said I love Everette Brown. The fact that he has below average leg explosion is scary. I didn't expect it. I don't put alot of value in those tests unless they score abnormally high or low... and in the broad and vert, Brown scored abnormally lower than was expected.