Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't think most 49ers fans want to know why I like him the best as a late round QB prospect.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think most 49ers fans want to know why I like him the best as a late round QB prospect.

Richard Quinn is the personification of the big-bodied, big-time blocking TE the team wants.

Joe Burnett is the best CB in the draft aside from those consistently mentioned as potential 1st rounders IMO.

Also... Michael Oher visted 49er Headquarters on Saturday.
Edited for accuracy.
abaddon41_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Preseason Schedule:

Quote:
Week 1: Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers
Week 2:Oakland Raiders at San Francisco 49ers
Week 3:San Francisco 49ers at Dallas Cowboys
Week 4: San Francisco 49ers at San Diego Chargers
Full Schedule
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turns out Michael Oher has yet to visit with the 49ers. So far this is the updated list of expected visits...

Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech
Michael Oher - OT - Mississippi
B.J. Raji - DT - Boston College
Larry English - DE/OLB - Northern Illinois
Andre Brown - RB - North Carolina State
Brandon Gibson - WR - Washington State
Greg Toler - CB - St. Paul's College
Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A lot of you are changing your opinion on who to draft based on the Smith signing. I think this goes against what our FO is trying to do. They have stated many times that you try to fill weak positions in FA and you draft the best player available. If the best player on the board is and OT at 10, then I think we should take him instead of reach for a different position. I can see a possibility for a corner in round two, but Jenkins will not the the BPA at 10.
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty much sold on my top 3 at #10 being:

1. Raji
2. Brown
3. Crabtree

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My top 3 at #10 are -

1) CB Malcolm Jenkins
2) OT Michael Oher
3) OLB Everette Brown

It will be funny if we draft a player who's NOT on anyone's top 3 list.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
My top 3 at #10 are -

1) CB Malcolm Jenkins
2) OT Michael Oher
3) OLB Everette Brown

It will be funny if we draft a player who's NOT on anyone's top 3 list.
Hilarious. Like last year? :(

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac25fan View Post
but Jenkins will not the the BPA at 10.
You have NO IDEA who is on McCloughan and his scouting team's Big Board. I know for a fact that an NFL scout from the Midwest views Malcolm Jenkins as the #1 player in the draft. I'm not saying he will or won't be a BPA for the 49ers. I'm just realistic enough to know that we can't be certain.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Andre Smith
2. Everette Brown
3. Michael Crabtree

Billy Bajmea signed with the Rams today :(
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. BJ Raji
2. Michael Oher
3. Everette Brown

I'm torn on 2 vs 3, but OT > OLB needs wise.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we grab Richard Quinn now in the late rounds.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

1. Trade Down (minimal elite talent in the draft and an abundance of similar talent in the top 100. Would be nice to add an extra 2nd rounder)
2. Malcolm Jenkins (potentially the best CB and FS in the draft, 49ers have needs at both positions)
3. Aaron Maybin (With proper conditioning he will maintain his weight and continue to grow. Only 20 years of age. Becomes a tremendous situational pass rusher while he matures behind Lawson and Haralson)
4. Andre Smith (Marvel Smith signing makes #10 money for a backup RT a bit extreme but his long-term wealth as a road grating run blocker on the right side is priceless)
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

Quote:
You have NO IDEA who is on McCloughan and his scouting team's Big Board. I know for a fact that an NFL scout from the Midwest views Malcolm Jenkins as the #1 player in the draft. I'm not saying he will or won't be a BPA for the 49ers. I'm just realistic enough to know that we can't be certain.
Fair enough... I do not have personal insight as to what is on McCloughan's board. I just think that speed is essential to be a top tier CB and that is something that Jenkins does not posses.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I rather have Oher over Smith.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Fair enough... I do not have personal insight as to what is on McCloughan's board. I just think that speed is essential to be a top tier CB and that is something that Jenkins does not posses.
Are you speaking of the "speed" that shows how fast he is out of a 3-point stance, running in a straight line for 40 yards or the speed that had him have the fastest 3-Cone drill of any competitor in this years Combine? Perhaps the speed that had him faster in the shuttle than speedster Vontae Davis and 5th overall. I think it's probably the speed that timed faster in every single agility event (aside from the 40)than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie last year. Regardless, even if you think he lacks speed (I do not) he is still the best FS prospect in the draft and stud FS typically go in the top-10.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

Quote:
Are you speaking of the "speed" that shows how fast he is out of a 3-point stance, running in a straight line for 40 yards or the speed that had him have the fastest 3-Cone drill of any competitor in this years Combine? Perhaps the speed that had him faster in the shuttle than speedster Vontae Davis and 5th overall. I think it's probably the speed that timed faster in every single agility event (aside from the 40)than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie last year. Regardless, even if you think he lacks speed (I do not) he is still the best FS prospect in the draft and stud FS typically go in the top-10.
For some positions the 40 time is overrated, but not for CB. You are out on an island trying to go one on one with very fast wideouts and you need to be able to recover with pure speed. I'm not the only one that thinks his speed leaves something to be desired.

"Malcolm Jenkins' lackluster 4.55 second 40 yard dash time at the NFL Combine may have sealed his fate as an NFL safety. This still doesn't take him out of the first round, but he is likely to slip out of the top ten overall picks."
fftoolbox.com

"Does not have great speed or quickness...Lacks a burst to close and recover...Has some trouble flipping his hips and transitioning...Just average feet...Gambler who will take some chances...Will struggle to turn and run with speedy pro wideouts deep ... Bit of a CB / S 'tweener"
draftcountdown.com

"Questionable long speed and does get beaten deep occasionally."
walterfootball.com
Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

I don't disagree that his long-speed is in question and may cause him to drop. My point is that we don't know that it will and IMO his game film makes him the best FS in the draft AT WORST.

The most intriguing thing about Malcolm Jenkins discussions is the refusal of many to consider how elite his 3-Cone and 20 Shuttle times were. They also don't allow for his tremendous film to be a counterweight to his 40 time. Why is it that lack of elite 40 speed isn't important for Michael Crabtree but it has potentially seeled the fate of Jenkins? Perennial Pro Bowl CBs Asante Samuel, Chris McAllister, etc ran similar 40 times on the "faster" track at Indy.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Asante Samuel is arguably the best CB in the league and when you're one of the best, having elite speed isnt necessary because the majority of passes will be thrown away from you anyway so as long as you dont get "faked" out, a CB like Jenkins will be just fine.

Jenkins is back to being number one on my list because after Clements, our CB quality and depth is average at best. Adding a young stud to play opposite Clements will only help our defense.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OT is still our biggest need, but wit the talent that will be there in the 2nd round along with who I see available at #10, I say we pick defense in the 1st.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going back over Menardo's posts from the last page, I decided to post a list of guys who I did research on during the forum mocks. These guys would all be great 2nd day guys. I'm not saying the rest aren't, I just happen to really agree with this list.

Stryker Sulak DE/OLB Missouri
Alex Boone OT Ohio State
Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
Quinn Johnson FB LSU
RB - Shonn Greene - Iowa
RB - Rashad Jennings - Liberty
FB - Tony Fiammetta - Syracuse
OL - Robby Felix - UTEP
NT - Myron Pryor - Kentucky
DE - Rulon Davis - California
OLB - Lawrence Sidbury - Richmond
OLB - Brandon Williams - Texas Tech
ILB - Scott McKilliop - Pittsburgh
ILB - Jason Phillips - TCU
CB - Mike Mickens - Cincinnati
SS - Courtney Greene - Rutgers

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody has mentioned my boy Zack Follett yet as a late-round OLB project. He needs to add a few pounds and probably would be 1-2 years away from any sort of impact. But once Cal switched to a 3-4 defense last year, Follett really played well and he has a nose for the QB. I think he had over 10 sacks last year. He loves to play special teams too, so that's a huge plus for a late-round pick.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

Quote:
Why is it that lack of elite 40 speed isn't important for Michael Crabtree but it has potentially seeled the fate of Jenkins?
A receiver knows the route he is going to run. A CB has to react to the receiver and have the ability to recover.

Overall I do think that Jenkins might turn into a great corner or safety. I just think there will be more value in Rd 2 and others I would like to see picked at 10 who will be available.

My ideal pick at 10 would be Raji because quality NTs are rare. Then one of a few OLB or OT would be a solid pick.

Personally I would see more justification for drafting a QB at 10 because the talent drop-off is much greater at that position than CB. We will be able to get a very good CB in rd 2 or 3 IMO.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My ideal pick at 10 would be Raji
My long lost brother Mac25fan.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
A receiver knows the route he is going to run. A CB has to react to the receiver and have the ability to recover.
Which is precisely why I feel that his elite 3-Cone and 20 Shuttle times are so important. It shows he has the ability to change direction at a ridiculously fast rate.

I completely agree with you about how his speed can be perceived. I hope you understand I wasn't trying to argue your opinion, just possible different outlooks. I also agree that Raji should be the pick but I've left him out of my equation because I don't feel he'll drop.