Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I like the deal if its a 2nd and a 5th. The Ravens cut Edwin Mulitalo, so they are obviously making cap room to sign Willis to an extension.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:46 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

It official or not?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:58 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
It official or not?
It will be most likely later today.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 AM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
There was a rumor I heard on the San Diego station 1090 that if McGahee was traded the Bills would become very interested in Michael Turner. Take it for what it's worth.
WOW. That would be AMAZING, IMO. Me and Rob actually did that in the second forum mock. I absolutely love Turner and I hope it happens.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 AM    (permalink
RaVeNFaNaCtIc
Rookie

RaVeNFaNaCtIc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

nice CCB, I doubt that kid will be back in this forum. Anyway, I like Willis just because he is an improvment over Jamal. He is not the best RB in the NFL like he says he is but he would be nice on our team and i expect good #'s out of him. 1,200,-1,300 yards. or even more. I still think we could have gotten Micheal Turner for our 2nd round pick instead of Willis.

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
#1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
I used to be MaddenPlayer52
RaVeNFaNaCtIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Has this been confirmed? I've been listening all day yesterday and it was never confirmed by any media source.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That would be so sick if that happened. If they got him their offense will have a SB caliber offense.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791831

It's official.
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
YouNeverKnow
Rookie

YouNeverKnow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Two 3rd round picks and a 7th rounder. I like that we picked up McGahee but I think we overpaid for him in the long run with both picks and the contract he will require. I'm more concerned about how much he is going to cost per season.
YouNeverKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love this trade. Glad to see we did not give up our second. I think this works out great for us.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geez thought my credibility was goin out the Window here lol. I think its a hell of a deal for Buffalo ...McGahee is nothing but a pain in the butt for the Bills and they got 2 decently high draft picks and a lower rounder when Thomas Jones, who just might be a better back, only was good enough for a swap.
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like McGahee, but this is a coup for the Ravens.

Considering that the 3rd is a late 3rd, and the future 3rd holds the value of a 4th this year, add it all together and it's still much much less than what the Bears got for Thomas Jones, who is arguably an inferior player.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105 View Post
Geez thought my credibility was goin out the Window here lol. I think its a hell of a deal for Buffalo ...McGahee is nothing but a pain in the butt for the Bills and they got 2 decently high draft picks and a lower rounder when Thomas Jones, who just might be a better back, only was good enough for a swap.
The value the Bears got was much higher if you actually understand the value chart.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
ds8582
Rookie

ds8582 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The trade just happened. He was traded for 3 picks
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

3rd Round and 7th Round Next Years 3rd Round its offical

The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in next year's draft.

The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008, league sources tell ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791831

Last edited by The Legend : 03-08-2007 at 11:48 AM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:52 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't like McGahee, but this is a coup for the Ravens.

Considering that the 3rd is a late 3rd, and the future 3rd holds the value of a 4th this year, add it all together and it's still much much less than what the Bears got for Thomas Jones, who is arguably an inferior player.

You think Thomas Jones is inferior to Willis McGahee? How so? Long term, perhaps. While I like Willis, and while his offensive line had issues in recent years, along with the lack of a passing game, a 3.8 YPC just isn't good. You can say it's passable for the situation, but it's not good. While Willis is a decent receiver and blocker, Thomas is ahead of him in both areas. Sure, long run, there's a chance Willis has better value, say, over 4 years, than Thomas (albeit, I think Thomas can be good for four years). But a counter can be that, for all the wear and tear that Willis is likely to go through due to his running style, his breakdown point might not be on a typical track and bears watching, especially considering past history.

Now, as for the trade, Baltimore clearly win. In the end, they held firm and didn't give up the 2nd rounder. Depending on how you calculate future value (with 1/2 and whole as the top methods), the overall package is somewhere from a mid-late 3rd value. It's not a bad deal for Buffalo, as Willis' flaws and issues wore down his value somewhat, but they still arguably didn't get enough in return. That said, they probably took the best package available, which is probably a strong sign of what teams interested felt about Willis overall. But, even if teams are wary, the fact that Baltimore got Willis for mid-late 3rd value chalks up a slight notch in the win column for them for now.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
You think Thomas Jones is inferior to Willis McGahee? How so? Long term, perhaps. While I like Willis, and while his offensive line had issues in recent years, along with the lack of a passing game, a 3.8 YPC just isn't good. You can say it's passable for the situation, but it's not good. While Willis is a decent receiver and blocker, Thomas is ahead of him in both areas. Sure, long run, there's a chance Willis has better value, say, over 4 years, than Thomas (albeit, I think Thomas can be good for four years). But a counter can be that, for all the wear and tear that Willis is likely to go through due to his running style, his breakdown point might not be on a typical track and bears watching, especially considering past history.
Mostly for the reasons that you stated. I really liked Jones as a hard-worker etc, but I think he was more a product of the system and the Bears line than vice versa. Hell, Adrian Peterson averaged over 5 yards one year playing. Again, nothing against Jones, but I viewed McGahee's value at least equal to Jones, particularly when considering that Jones was then signed to a deal with 12 million in guarantees with a 5 mil per year average.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
hoff04

Mcgahee for 3rd and 7th this year and 3rd next

Thought they could get more?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
bills_red
Veteran

bills_red needs more cowbell.

I thought we would get a 3rd and late R pick
bills_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they gave up too much for McGahee.

3rd this year + a 3rd next year (the 7th is a fart in the wind), thats too much.

Its too much because of the talent coming out next year. Next year's draft is gonna be stacked, in particular at the RB position. RBs are gonna be plentiful next year, a 3rd next year is golden. There will be a lot more talent next year in comparison to this year's draft.

They shouldve just grabbed a RB this year, or signed Dominic Rhodes or something and ran a 2 RB system. I think Buffalo comes out the winner in this trade. Im not a huge fan of McGahees.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing that the 7th round pick is that of the Colts, which the Ravens acquired in exchange for DE Ryan LaCasse, as the Ravens' 7th round pick will go to the Colts for S Gerome Sapp. (Two separate deals.) Michael Smith not mentioning that makes me wonder if he didn't jump the gun in some way again, as he did with Joe Horn to the Falcons.

NFLN/Schefter confirms two 2007 draft picks and a 2008 draft pick, but haven't specified further yet. NFL.com report is up.

Edit: Neither the Buffalo Bills' site nor the Baltimore Ravens' site specify any in the way of picks.

Last edited by Geo : 03-08-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More than likely, McGahee will get a an extension, and probably one similar, if not greater, than Jones. The Ravens aren't likely to do that deal for a one year rental.

The argument against the system statement would be that, Jones succeeded under two different systems, with Shea, and with Ron Turner. And under Turner, it can be argued that Jones wasn't

a) utilized enough.
b) utilized correctly.

And yet, Jones still produced, and he also had an inconsistent passing game around him.

I actually like McGahee. I'm not trying to bash him, but so far in his career, he's shown a bit of an ego and a lack of production to warrant much love. I think he can still have a great career ... but over his first 3 years, I don't see much to warrant a lot of love for him. Decent back, but only moderately better than, say, what Anthony Thomas did in Chicago early on (not saying they are close in talent, as Willis has far more talent, but potential gets you drafted, productivity gets you the love). Plenty of backs have been in similarly poor situations are were able to put up a respectable YPC and also carry a heavier burden of the team, while establishing themselves as a leader. McGahee has done none of that so far.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
blkwdw13
Rookie

blkwdw13 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think they over paid for him they must of really wanted him.
blkwdw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Bohleive hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I heard it was just this years 3rd and 7th like 5 minutes ago (1:25) on ESPN radio. Take it for what its worth. I wouldn't trust any of statements on picks yet.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoff04 View Post
Mcgahee for 3rd and 7th this year and 3rd next

Thought they could get more?
If you can't even get a first rounder for a Edgerin James or a Shawn Alexander, what do you think an average RB like Willis McGahee would fetch?

Fans seem to think other teams will pay a premium for their junk. Only the Raidahs and the Dolphins do that.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote