Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 04-25-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Colts' 2009 Draft

Draft weekend is finally here. Discuss the picks.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Three mocks, including Mike Mayock's, have the Colts taking James Laurinaitis. Interesting.

I'd love the pick of course, especially for the Colts to like him enough to draft him in the 1st round. I wonder if he doesn't beat Gary Brackett for the starting MLB spot in camp. Although I would like to see Adam Seward compete for the job, I have a gut feeling he has some promise.

And guys like Brian Robiskie or Ziggy Hood could contribute in more needy areas.

Can't wait for whoever it is.

Best of luck to the Colts in getting the best possible players.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

9 picks until the Colts are up!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UGGGGHHHH.

I hate the Falcons!

We should've traded up.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gutted we lost out on Jerry, I hope we don't settle for Ziggy at 27, Beanie maybe? Baby Animal? Nicks? Robiskie? We have options I guess...

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think picking Ziggy here is "settling". He could turn out to be the best of the bunch playing for our system.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a need, and a decent fit, but I don't feel the value is there at 27 for him. I'd prefer Marks in the second rather than Ziggy in the first, but in Polian I trust.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Donald Brown apparently.

Hmmm.

I hope he becomes a great one.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
psulion21
Rookie

psulion21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

im happy we took him over beanie alot better value and overall ability
psulion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Brown, do not like. at. all.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I'm speechless right now.

Other than saying Gosselin nailed it in his Top 100 yet another year.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I'm just disappointed in it, I trust Polian, but man, I don't think Brown would be in my top 5 players I would want out of those available here...

Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

It's not a bad pick.

This guy sounds like this year's Forte, maybe even better.

We were dead last in rushing last year (although tiny O-Line had something to do with that).
Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I pin the rushing game on the O-line, Addai had no holes whatsoever, he offers everything Brown offers IMO.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Default Colts' 1st round pick: Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut

Draft Vignette: Donald Brown
Donald Brown on set

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/40771.html

Quote:
Donald Brown
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 1 (27)
RB Junior Connecticut Big East 5-10.5, 211 4.50

BIOGRAPHY: Named 2008 Big East Offensive Player of the Year after posting career numbers of 367/2,187/18 on the ground and 21/125 as a pass catcher. Junior rushing totals included 170/821/8 with 14 receptions for 85 yards. Initially,awarded all-Conference honors as a freshman when he posted 161/896/7 on the ground.

POSITIVES: Well rounded ball carrier with a versatile game. Displays outstanding vision, ball carrying instincts and patience. Waits for blocks to develop, immediately finds the running lanes and displays terrific open field running skills. Creates his own yardage, makes defenders miss and displays terrific footwork with the ability to sidestep or avoid piles. Runs with a compact style, outstanding balance, body control and tough to knock off his feet. Flashes power on the inside with the ability to breaks several tackles and pick up yardage off initial contact. Effectively uses a straight arm to keep plays alive and shows the ability to pick up the tough yardage. Easily turns the corner, cuts back against the grain and loses little momentum when he must immediately alter his running angle. Solid pass catcher out of the backfield.

NEGATIVES: Never really carried the load until his junior season. May not have the size or ability to be used as a short yardage runner in the NFL.

ANALYSIS: Brown has been very productive in college showing steady progress and an all-around game. He can be used in a variety of systems at the next level and his versatility makes it difficult to characterize him as a specific type of ball carrier. He may start his career as a rotational running back yet could quickly grow into a teams prime ball carrier.
http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/...yers/8936.html

Quote:
Donald Brown
RB, Connecticut
War Room analysis

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

(No. 27 overall, Colts) This is a perfect situation for Brown, and it's a classic Indy pick -- taking the best player on the board as opposed to filling a need. It's a bit of a surprise that Brown went before Beanie Wells, but Brown should provide some versatility and durability for Indianapolis.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Inside running: Is tough and aggressive. Uses his explosiveness, athleticism and speed to make up for his lack of brute power. Shows good patience waiting for his blockers to open a small hole, makes the sharp cut and then explodes for a long gain. Is able to maneuver in tight quarters. Does a good job of lowering his shoulders and running with good body lean in traffic. Wraps up and protects the ball well. Will drive through tackles to gain a yard or two after contact before going down. Grade: 6.5

Outside running: Is able to consistently make big plays once he gets outside. Gets to full speed quickly and has the burst to outrun defenders who have a clear path to chase him down. Is a dangerous cutback runner. Grade: 8.0

Blocking: Has little experience as a lead blocker. Lacks the size and strength to be consistently effective. Must become more aggressive and use better technique in pass protection. Grade: 5.0

Hands/routes: Can twist his body to adjust and make tough catches. Never fights the ball. Has a lot of experience running routes, from both the backfield and a receiver alignment. Makes things happen when he catches the ball in the open field. Grade: 8.5

Durability: Played through a number of minor college injuries. Doesn't seem to tire out. Always wants to be in on the play. Looks thin on film. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Brown, a junior, had a standout career at Connecticut. He is not a big back, but he runs with an aggressiveness and toughness that helps him play bigger than his size. His athleticism helps him change directions easily in traffic, which allows him to avoid hard hits, a trait most smaller NFL backs have. Brown could sneak into the first round, and he will be a productive starting back who consistently makes big plays as a ballcarrier and receiver at the next level.

Career statistics

Rushing Receiving
Team Att. Yds. Avg. TD Att./TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD
'06 UConn 161 950 5.9 7 23.0 13 66 5.1 2
'07 UConn 170 895 5.3 8 21.3 14 85 6.1 0
'08 UConn 367 2187 6.0 18 20.4 21 125 6.0 0
Totals 698 4032 5.8 33 21.2 48 276 5.8 2
I can buy that Brown was the pure BPA on the board. Hood and Robiskie were more 2nd round guys, but still. Quality guys.

Watching that NFL Network video, Brown kind of reminds me of pre-injury Edge. Well I hope he plays like him anyways.

So, what, does Addai get traded next year? Don't know how both guys get enough touches.

Then again the Steelers took Mendenhall last year, and needed Mewelde Moore.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well, Brown wasn't my top choice (I wanted Ziggy), but I'm not as outraged about it as you guys are.

This guy is a good player.

I hope we can address DT, WR and OL later.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

He's a good player, but I don't think that a backup RB, which IMO Brown is compared to Addai, should be addressed untl 3rd or 4th round. DT, WR, OL as you mentioned all could be higher, hell I would maybe put S higher as well with Bethea's situation.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Polian and Caldwell discuss the selection of Brown.

I could see Brown staying in Indy for a long time, I think he is the next franchise back to follow Edge. Addai probably won't be re-signed, but he helped the Colts win SB XLI so nobody can tell me that pick wasn't worth it.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

10 picks until the Colts' 2nd round pick.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Colts traded up in the 2nd round! Now picking at #56.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I don't like Moala, certainly not enough to trade up, but at least it fills our biggest need, oh well, off to bed, it is 2.20am lol.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Colts trade their 5th round pick to move up and draft Fili Moala.

I like it, Moala has a lot of potential, just as much as Ziggy Hood if not much more. He adds a real presence inside and has been playing in a Tampa 2 at Southern Cal already. And at times Southern Cal used him as NT in a 34 front.

The Colts traded up before one of Miami/Baltimore/New England/Carolina/New York could draft him before #61.

Very good pick.

Last edited by Geo : 04-25-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
3pac
Rookie

3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.3pac is a cocksman.

I'm PUMPED. We FINALLY get a BIIIIG DT......he's Samoan, which makes him cooler, AND he's from USC which consistently cranks out good defensive players. GREAT DRAFT SO FAR!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Default Colts' 2nd round pick: Fili Moala, DT, Southern Cal

Draft Vignette: Fili Moala
Fili Moala pro day interview

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/19675.html

Quote:
Fili Moala
SELECTED BY: Colts Round 2 (24)
DT Senior USC Pac-10 6-4, 305 5.10

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a senior after totaling 30/10/4.5. Junior totals included 32/5.5/2.5.

POSITIVES: Athletic defensive lineman who displays the ability to force the action. Moves well on his feet, makes plays laterally, or knifes to the inside of blocks and gets penetration up the field. Displays an explosive first step off the snap, keeps his feet moving on contact, and shows a burst of closing speed. For the most part, plays with good lean and pad level.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his hand technique and do a better job protecting himself. Occasionally plays tall and makes himself an easy target for blockers. More of a first move lineman who must beat blockers off the snap.

ANALYSIS: Moala has flashed dominance the past three seasons, and he is a lineman who takes over games. He must improve the details of his position, add bulk to his frame, and develop more moves with his hands to have any chance of impacting at the next level. Moala could develop into a productive starter at the next level if the pieces fall into place.
http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/...yers/8686.html

(Sporting News loves this guy, they rated him as not only the second best DT behind Raji but also the 22nd overall best prospect in the Draft. A bit overboard, but obviously they really fell in love with his talent.)

Quote:
Fili Moala
DT, USC

POST-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

(No. 56 overall, Colts) We identified defensive tackle as one of Indy's biggest needs coming into the draft, and we would have considered Moala at No. 27 a good pick, so obviously the Colts got tremendous value. He has the versatility to hold and play gap control and also penetrate to blow up the pocket.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Against the run: Has good playing strength. Plays with solid leverage and use his hands aggressively against blockers. Can toss the blocker off and make the tackle on runs at him. Gets into gaps to disrupt blocking schemes. Displays impressive playing speed chasing the ball carrier down. Grade: 8.5

Pass rush: Is consistently productive as a pass rusher. Is able to dominate blocker and drive him backwards in order to get a hit/sack on the quarterback. Pressures the quarterback well. Can beat one-on-one blocks with a quick spin move. Had an impressive slap move. Grade: 7.5

Initial quickness: Is not explosive off the ball, and fails to shoot through gaps in a flash. Is often able to get his hands on the blocker first. Has impressive snap anticipation instincts. Has a fast closing burst to finish plays. Grade: 7.5

Run/pass recognition: Consistently identifies the play fast, finds the ball carrier and gets started toward the play quickly. Does not get fooled by misdirection plays. Grade: 8.5

Pursuit/tackling: Does an excellent job of making plays in pursuit, even when blocked. Able to get his man to the ground when he gets close enough to make the play. Grade: 8.5

Bottom line: Moala has been overshadowed by other Southern Cal defenders for most of his career, but there are not many negatives to his play, and he has the tools to be a good NFL starter. During the Senior Bowl, Moala proved he is every bit as athletic as he appears on film and has the size and strength that few at his position do. He has the talent to start at defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense or defensive end in a 3-4 scheme.
Again, I really like this pick. I'm sure there are some Colts fans saying Jarron Gilbert, but Gilbert is a workout warrior and Moala did better imo against the better competition. If you recall my posts during these last few months, I was impressed with him in his senior year.

Colts finally begin building their defensive interior with some size, power, and speed.

PS. Definitely give that Draft Vignette video a watch.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Polian and Caldwell discuss Fili Moala

Polian says he played 3-4 RDE at times as a senior. Could have sworn I saw him more at NT in those situations, oh well.