Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Immediate Reaction

My immediate reaction is just WOW!
Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Chase Coffman and Jonathon Luigs.

Awesome.

All those guys could start for us sooner or later.

Individual pick grade:
Andre Smith - A
Rey Maualuga - A+
Michael Johnson - B
Chase Coffman - B
Jonathon Luigs - B
Kevin Huber - B- (a little early but Ill take it)
Morgan Trent - D
Bernard Scott - D
Taufui Vakapuna - C-
Clinton McDonald - C
Freddie Brown - F
Overall grade: A

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack

Last edited by Bengals78 : 04-26-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am loving this draft

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We got possibly 4 immediate starters (Smith, Maualuga, Luigs and Huber).

Johnson and Coffman will probably see the field from the beginning. Johnson especially, if he could rack up about 6 sacks that would be big for us.

Our defense FINALLY doesn't have any large holes. Sure, it's not perfect but reasonable health provided... We have top 10 potential with our defense.

I'm honestly kinda hoping Smith goes to RT and Collins to LT, then we could go back to running it on teams to the right side.

I sure hope we actually use Coffman, using a TE could help to offset the loss of TJ.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
I sure hope we actually use Coffman, using a TE could help to offset the loss of TJ.
I think that was the big logic in this pick. Add an extra target to help replace the big one we lost.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
I'm honestly kinda hoping Smith goes to RT and Collins to LT, then we could go back to running it on teams to the right side.
This is what I've been wanting/saying for awhile now. Smith at RT and Collins at LT would be amazing for a long time. I do feel like Smith could play LT but I think it works out better for the both of them if they put them at those spots.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
I think that was the big logic in this pick. Add an extra target to help replace the big one we lost.
I think Coles, Henry and Ochocinco will be enough targets. And I'm still optimistic about Utecht.

Coffman seems like a bit of a project to me, but we shall see!
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What's up guys ?? Checking in for the reaction here.

I loved the draft, no other way to say it.

Andre Smith was the guy I wanted all along in the first and was happy with that.
Rey Maualuga being there in the 2nd was a no brainer pick gift wrapped from God.
Michael Johnson can provide the pass rush and was a projected 1st rounder early on.
Chase Coffman was another one I wanted. Look at his stats and tell me he won't fit.
Jonathan Luigs isn't the guy I wanted, but he will be an upgrade to Ghiacuic.
Kevin Huber was the best punter in the draft and isn't a project. Starter.
Morgan Trent isn't a guy I wanted, but maybe they can coach him up. Is he better than Castille ?
Bernard Scott was a very productive RB will all sorts of skills. Poor character.
Taufui Vakapuna was a guy Anderson just went on and on about and impressed his pro day.
McDonald and Brown ?? Who cares ??

I'm more impressed with Quan Cosby out of Texas than I am Freddie Brown, but I'm not sure where he fits on this team as a 27 year old rookie...
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I think Coles, Henry and Ochocinco will be enough targets. And I'm still optimistic about Utecht.

Coffman seems like a bit of a project to me, but we shall see!
As it turns out, Coffman can learn under Utecht in order to get more accustomed to being in an NFL offense. I really like the Coffman pick because, like was stated earlier, he kind of makes up for what we lost in TJ. Maybe he doesn't completely replace TJ, but along with the acquisition of Coles, I think we may have taken a step forward instead of going backward.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As for Freddie Brown, the last pick of the draft:

I read something on another board that had me crying.

Can you imagine how funny it would be to see his jersey ??

"F. Brown"

Priceless...
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was a great draft for the Bengals.

Defensively in the back 7 you get the MLB of the future in Maualuga and a project DB in Trent. Rey should be a leader of this defense and a great NFL player with a chip on his shoulder after falling, not really important but I wonder if he gets his 58. Trent could be nothing but he's got the skills to do some nice things so for the later pick it's worth it.

On the DL I think the pass rush really improves. Johnson could be great situationally, gets a third round version of that first round lanky pass-rushing end Marvin seems to have always wanted, and eventually is definitely capable of starting. Plus he's obviously got the first round talent. McDonald should be a great situational pass rusher inside and I thought was a fantastic pick as late as they grabbed him.

Offensively you solidify the line with Smith and Luigs. That was huge. Both should start, Smith gives you a great athlete and run-blocker wherever he plays and he and Collins should be fantastic bookend tackles. Very important in the AFC North to have those tackles, so it's great to get him. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. And Luigs will probably be able to start from day 1 and help fix up the weakest position on the OL.

Scott's a great potential RB who could really spell Benson well, surprised they waited that long but they managed to grab an earlier round talent. Coffman confuses me a little because he's so similar to Utecht but he can definitely be a good weapon for Palmer and as somebody said he and LC should be able to help replace Housh. Manage to grab a potential FB of the future in the late rounds which is always nice, and cap things off with some fantastic comedy in F Brown. Doubt he makes the roster, but at that point it's a long shot anyway.

Plus there's a starting punter in there with Huber who is familiar with punting in the area. Excellent draft.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Very good and respectable write up. +rep

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Marvin made a great point about this draft class that actually really surprised me. Basically, he said the thing he likes most about this class is that almost every prospect we picked has something to prove in the NFL. Just thought it was a very interesting take on it.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Sometimes thats the worst thing for the OTHER team, a bunch of young talented guys with a lot to prove and pretty much nothing to lose.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Sometimes thats the worst thing for the OTHER team, a bunch of young talented guys with a lot to prove and pretty much nothing to lose.
Yeah, I can really see it with a lot of these guys:

Smith- wants to prove the character concerns are overblown and that he can possibly play LT in the NFL though I really think hes going to be a dominant RT.

Maualuga- Similar maturity concerns, also wants to prove he should have been drafted much higher.

Johnson- needs to prove he can fulfill his great potential and that he has a motor.

Coffman- needs to prove that he can be an adept blocker.

Luigs- that he was being overlooked as a top C in his senior season.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
staubach41
Rookie

staubach41 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This draft and last year's draft have pieces falling in place for the Bengals. Both of those classes mesh well together which will give stability on defense and with the retooling of the line, that offense which can be so dynamic. However, everyone needs to get to the camps, so all the new pieces can get accustomed to the new. Overall, very exciting draft.
staubach41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

I agree 100% about getting everyone to camp now to get them working as a team

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-28-2009, 02:28 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Loving your guys new Maualuga and Smash bros sigs!
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

HA thanks. Falcon did one heck of a job on mine.
Your sig kills me every time though lol.

You need Rey and Domata with their flowing locks in there ha

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I think we can go ahead and say this is the best offseason this team has had in a VERY long time. We won't really know how this draft fares for awhile but I think we've pretty much done everything we could have done to bring back the guys we needed while bringing in plenty of young talent. Couldn't really ask for much more.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 04-29-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I think we can go ahead and say this is the best offseason this team has had in a VERY long time. We won't really know how this draft fare's for awhile but I think we've pretty much done everything we could have done to bring back the guys we needed while bringing in plenty of young talent. Couldn't really ask for much more.
Totally agree. We were able to fix our holes on offense while also being able to improve our defense. Any draft you can do that is successful. It is one of those kinda drafts where as long as everyone stays healthy for the majority you can get a winning team.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 AM    (permalink
SC Igniter
Rookie

SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Yeah, I can really see it with a lot of these guys:

Smith- wants to prove the character concerns are overblown and that he can possibly play LT in the NFL though I really think hes going to be a dominant RT.

Maualuga- Similar maturity concerns, also wants to prove he should have been drafted much higher.

Johnson- needs to prove he can fulfill his great potential and that he has a motor.

Coffman- needs to prove that he can be an adept blocker.

Luigs- that he was being overlooked as a top C in his senior season.

Good points. I like that these guys have something to prove and show the pundits up. It will be interesting to see if they can will themselves to be great Bengals. Coaching these guys up will be the key. Of the group, the most uncertain is Johnson on the boom/bust scale, everyone agrees he has the tools but needs to persevere/excel on the moves required to be a great pass rusher.
SC Igniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Igniter View Post
Good points. I like that these guys have something to prove and show the pundits up. It will be interesting to see if they can will themselves to be great Bengals. Coaching these guys up will be the key. Of the group, the most uncertain is Johnson on the boom/bust scale, everyone agrees he has the tools but needs to persevere/excel on the moves required to be a great pass rusher.
The thing I like about the Johnson pick is that the pressure doesn't need to be on him to the extent that it would have been had he been selected higher. I'm sure the coaches will be all over his ass, but the risk really isn't incredibly high with this kid. It was almost a situation where the possibilities were just to great to pass up. If he fails its not like it is the end of the world and I think that is the most important thing people need to understand with this pick. Not often does an athlete of that caliber last that long in the draft, and I'm glad we have the chance to work with him. I think Marvin will take a very big stake in his development and with the coaching staff we currently have on defense, Its more likely than not that he does succeed.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have confidence that Zim will get him to truly tap into his potential. And when he does, look out.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't say enough how impressed I am with what Zimmer has been able to do for this defense. That's why I have faith that he will get Johnson and Rey playing up to their potential. I will still say, my absolute only complaint about this draft is that we didn't get Wood or Mack. Granted, I don't blame the FO because I don't think they could justify trading up to get either. It's just an unfortunate case of other teams taking them earlier than anticipated.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
SC Igniter
Rookie

SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Another guy not mentioned much is Trent kid from Michigan. This might be another good pick for the D, we needed some depth at that spot and he may turn out to be a gem. We don't get many UofM games down here but the ones I've seen had him playing decent (if I'm remembering correctly?).

This draft keeps on getting better for me.
SC Igniter is offline   Reply With Quote