Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Defense for '09

Gotta admit, I'm pretty excited about it. To be honest, I think the defense could be our better unit even with a healthy Carson on offense.

My depth chart for now...

CB - Leon Hall
SS - Chinedum Ndukwe
FS - Chris Crocker
CB - Jonathan Joseph

WLB - Keith Rivers
MLB - Rey Maualuga
SLB - Dhani Jones

DE - Robert Geathers
UT - Pat Sims
NT - Domata Peko
DE - Antwan Odom

Key backups
DT - Tank Johnson
DE - Michael Johnson
FS - Marvin White
LB - Brandon Johnson
CB - David Jones

I think Crocker will start over White but they'll both see plenty of time. I also think there will be a battle over the UT spot, FitzGerald is high on Tank Johnson. He said "What helps Keith most is Tank".

I think Rivers, Dhani and Rey will be our starting LB core. Just not sure if Jones goes to SLB or stays in the middle. The guy has been around so I'm sure there will be a very short adjusting period. Ultimately I think it's best if Rey starts in the middle from the start with Dhani making the calls but playing at SLB.

Our secondary was very solid last year, if JJ is healthy... Look out. Chinny is IMO the best playmaker on the entire team. Our depth at safety is very solid, I still wouldn't doubt us signing Roy Williams.

Tank/Michael Johnson/Sims should help us a great deal on passing downs now. I'd say Peko sits in obvious passing situations while Tank and Sims are sent after the QB. I also loved the way Zimmer sends the safeties after the QB.

Seriously, it's a miracle the defense did as well as it did last year. We just got destroyed in time of possession and got run all over in the 2nd half of games. Granted, if we can get out front in games again we'll really start to see what our secondary is made of.

Overall I'm very happy with the talent of our defense. I think Zimmer has instilled confidence in them and they're really going to be aggressive next year. They only got more experienced and added two players who should help this year. I'm also very happy with our depth, the only exception is our lack of CB's.

I'm looking forward to this season.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:27 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Micheal Johnson will be a huge situational pass rusher. Tank will be similar for the inside. Looking at the defense on paper...it it one tough defense.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:24 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinkin Luga is gonna play SLB this year to start out but I could be wrong.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
MooshooGawd
Rookie

MooshooGawd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Man! This defense (on paper) looks amazing! I can't wait!

I like Dhani in the middle still. I'm just more comfortable with him making the calls than a rookie. I would then either move Rey to SAM or have him be the backup MIKE. (But a backup that still gets lots of snaps)
MooshooGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They were playing Rey at both MLB and SLB in the first practice.

I'm slowly getting away from my idea that he will start at MLB. I'm hoping they groom Brandon Johnson at SLB as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats a nice young corps for the future with Rivers, Maualuga, and Brandon Johnson. Should be fun to watch.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Shere Khan
Rookie

Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
I think Micheal Johnson will be a huge situational pass rusher. Tank will be similar for the inside. Looking at the defense on paper...it it one tough defense.
I think Johnson will inherit the Joker role that Pollack had while he was here.

Coach Lewis might have found his Peter Boulware.

WHO DEY, ALL DEY, ERY' DEY
Shere Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
I think Johnson will inherit the Joker role that Pollack had while he was here.

Coach Lewis might have found his Peter Boulware.
Joker role?

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
SC Igniter
Rookie

SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SC Igniter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

PalmerToCJ summed it up well. This will be a totally different team this year with Palmer back. We know that our offense will score more points than last year and how much will dictate what our defense will see. Its important for us to be able to stop the run as the Steelers and others will test our rush defense to see how stout they are, and as everyone knows we have been soft in this area. So even though our stated goal was to improve our rush defense this off season - and I believe we have with adding Tank and M. Johnson throwing in a healthy Odom, we did this while getting better on rush D with the Rey pick. I think our secondary is sound or better than average. Sum it up this has me excited and I feel these additions puts in a position to not only improve on our Defense from last year but really compete against Pitts/Balt.
SC Igniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'm happy with how I think the run defense will be next year for sure.

I do definitely have one worry on defense. I'm concerned that with us not trailing the entire game, the secondary could experience more troubles. They did their job last year but given how much we trailed, we didn't get thrown on a lot. A lot of teams that are awful on offense can end up with defenses ranked higher than they should be because the total yardage isn't there due to the lack of passing on them.

With that said, I think we'll be fine. However, if the pass rush continues to struggle then the secondary could experience some troubles. If Joseph can stay healthy, I'm much less concerned about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand the concern, but I think that our pass rush will be much improved with the additions of Tank, M. Johnson, and company. Hopefully, Odom can stay healthy and the DTs can provide help up the middle to aid our DEs. If our pass rush is the same as it was last year, start getting worried.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I doubt Johnson will be making a switch to SLB anytime soon but I'm sure he'll allow for our defense to cause some confusion at times.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-05-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am really hyped this season for the defense. Its a rare thing to say about the Bengals. I am really looking forward to this season more so than any other.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Chick Ludwig (who is the man) thinks Tank will start at UT. Seems to make sense given what the coaching staff has said.

I hope they find a way to get Brandon Johnson on the field. He was an absolute monster last year, didn't lose a step after Rivers got hurt and that's no rip on Rivers.

The best part about this year is that I'm not disappointed by any of the starters. It always bothered me going into the year that DJax, Tory James, Landon Johnson, Thornton and guys like that were our starters. I have no problem with them as depth it was just painful to know they had to start.

I would be plenty happy with some of the guys that will sit the bench starting (Johnson, White, Sims). To be honest, I'll look more forward to watching the defense play this year than the offense.

Anyway, here's Chick's article... He's as excited as we are.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...lexibilit.html
Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I wouldn't be surprised if Tank started either but I really think theres going to be a ton of moving around at DT this year so it won't really matter who the actual starter is. Tank is definitely more acclimated than Sims and I'm curious to see him back in a 4-3. Regardless, Sims, Peko, and Tank will all probably share the PT quite equally. I hope we see a little bit more of Jason Shirley as well.

I actually kind of disagree with Chick's take on what happens at LB in nickel situations. I would rather see Johnson and Rivers on the field at that time than Johnson and Maualuga. Its not really that I don't think Rey can thrive in that situation its just that Rivers and Johnson seem to be the best option in Nickel with Johnson being the sole LB in Dime.

I also don't think there is really going to be any competition as to who is our SS. Ndukwe has completely solidified that position IMO and I could actually see him making the Pro Bowl. Kyries Herbert is a capable backup/special teamer in his own right though.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 05-06-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:23 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Tank started either but I really think theres going to be a ton of moving around at DT this year so it won't really matter who the actual starter is. Tank is definitely more acclimated than Sims and I'm curious to see him back in a 4-3. Regardless, Sims, Peko, and Tank will all probably share the PT quite equally. I hope we see a little bit more of Jason Shirley as well.

I actually kind of disagree with Chick's take on what happens at LB in nickel situations. I would rather see Johnson and Rivers on the field at that time than Johnson and Maualuga. Its not really that I don't think Rey can thrive in that situation its just that Rivers and Johnson seem to be the best option in Nickel with Johnson being the sole LB in Dime.

I also don't think there is really going to be any competition as to who is our SS. Ndukwe has completely solidified that position IMO and I could actually see him making the Pro Bowl. Kyries Herbert is a capable backup/special teamer in his own right though.
I agree on your Ndukwe take. He isnt fighting with Herbert at all. Its Ndukwe spot. I feel like we are stacked at FS. Crocker, White, and Lynch are all capable... I am really hoping Lynch can turn into a playmaker like he was in college. If not, then he will always be solid on Special teams.

I agree with you on the Rivers and Johnson rather than Johnson and Sting Rey as well. Rey is a good LB, but I am worried about him in pass coverage and when there is just too much open space.

The defense is very capable to be in the top 10 this season as is the offense. Things like that get your hopes up.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't you guys bring in Roy Williams? Zimmer wanted to talk with him see if he was the same guy that he had when they were both in big D. I don't know if you need him, but he would be one more guy that could knock the piss out of somone just like Maualuga. And one of you said that zimmer likes to bring his safetys to rush the passer.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Didn't you guys bring in Roy Williams? Zimmer wanted to talk with him see if he was the same guy that he had when they were both in big D. I don't know if you need him, but he would be one more guy that could knock the piss out of somone just like Maualuga. And one of you said that zimmer likes to bring his safetys to rush the passer.
Brought him in for the interview and all but thats all...not sure went down but we didnt sign him. Maybe we felt we had enough safeties.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i've noticed that in the official Bengals forums, people rarely mention Peko at all anymore...with the help we've gotten on defense I think he could have a good year.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

The thing about Peko is he's not your flashy guy that explodes the line or gets to the QB. He just stops the RB, clogs holes and gets the job done.

I'm very happy with Peko, it's no coincidence that our run D has improved since he's taken over at NT.

I think it's just a matter of people getting more drawn in to the new additions and the LB/CB core since they're more 'flashy'. He has been quite the draft pick, I remembered we got blasted for taking him in the 4th.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYOuMWDVPcQ

i never get tired of that

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Domata is one of my favorite players and I feel like last year he really blossomed. I consider him to be one of the better 4-3 DTs in this league.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165