Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: What is the Falcons top need?
CB 15 53.57%
NT 3 10.71%
OLB 5 17.86%
O-line 1 3.57%
Other 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

A pretty good list of DEs from the draft forum (PFielder):

1. Derrick Morgan
2. Brandon Graham
3. Jason Pierre-Paul
4. Jerry Hughes
5. Greg Hardy
6. Greg Romeus
7. Ricky Sapp (he'll have to stand up in a 3-4 though)
8. Corey Wootton
9. George Selvie
10. O'Brien Schofield (he'll have to stand up in a 3-4 though)
11. CJ Wilson

This leaves off guys like Griffen and Dunlap.

At least we got a good year to pick up a stud DE. If we don't get the right value fit in the 1st, we could trade up for one of these guys in the late second or high third.

Morgan may be impossible if we do break the curse, but any one of those guys could make a real difference to our pass rush.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i want joe hayden goddammit.

is it worth the falcons to throw our final game against the bucs, which would prolong the "curse", in order for them not to be able to draft the ******* monster that is ndamukong suh?
thefalconer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i want joe hayden goddammit.

is it worth the falcons to throw our final game against the bucs, which would prolong the "curse", in order for them not to be able to draft the ******* monster that is ndamukong suh?
Haden*** And no, definitely not worth it. I felt the same way in '06 when Vick and co. blew a 5-2 start, in the end I would have been happier with a 9-7 record missing the playoffs. This record is constantly spoke of and it's hard to be called a winning team with this monkey on our back.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Haden*** And no, definitely not worth it. I felt the same way in '06 when Vick and co. blew a 5-2 start, in the end I would have been happier with a 9-7 record missing the playoffs. This record is constantly spoke of and it's hard to be called a winning team with this monkey on our back.
haden.. my bad. haha yeah i expect people here to want the win and i do too. but i really don't wanna play suh twice a year. shudders.
thefalconer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no question Suh will mostly likely land with the bucs. We really need a young center who can be with matt ryan for a long time, a smart guy, but also someone who is very physical and athletic.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:10 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

The Rams will probably have first shot at Suh, but they may also take a QB. I think it's about 50/50. Hopefully Spags wants to focus on D and maybe pick up one of the free agent QBs or a 2nd rounder.

I would hate to see Suh in our division.

However, I definitely want the win to go 9-7.

Besides, McCoy is not exactly a bad runner's up prize for the Bucs. He may even suit their scheme better.

For our draft position, the difference between 15 and 20 is not huge. I'd rather be earlier, of course, but I think the momentum of finally breaking the curse would be more valuable for next season that a slightly earlier draft pick.

Last edited by D-Rod : 12-22-2009 at 04:13 AM.
D-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would not be surprised if we draft a WR, and as early as 3rd round. The depth in the position in this class is crazy with so many good WR's skipping their senior year for NFL. If we can land a guy like Demaryous (sp?) Thomas,(who will likely fall) I'll be STACKED!!

Let's take a look at the current situation:

WR-x: Roddy White, Marty Booker

Slot: Harry Douglas, Eric Weems

WR-z: Michael Jenkins, Brian Finneran

Roddy White is a probowl WR, with great talent and deserves to be our #1 WR. A shut down corner and double teams can easily take him out of his game like any good WR.

Michael Jenkins got himself a brand new contract last year, and he was thrown too much more this year. He did a good job of looking better on the stat sheet, but he dropped way to many balls at the most important situations.

The slot WRs Douglas and Weems are great, they can be used in reverse with their run after the catch abilities and help roddy strech the field vertically.

Booker and Finneran are done with the falcons after week 17. No matter what, we will have to replace those two, but why not just draft a really good WR to challenge Jenkins for the #2? Even though we pay him #2 money, he needs to perform and he desperately needs competition.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 12-25-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with drafting a guy like Thomas. would give us yet another vertical threat (what would that be... 5?) and then just keep Weems and see what Bergeron can do (another vertical threat!)

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could easily see us cutting Jenkins. I really do think we need another option. I think not only has he done an awful job of catching passes, but Matt is constantly locked onto White and Gonzo, because they are the only ones who can get open.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

It seems like Gonzo is constantly double teamed, Roddy won't get open 100% of the time & Matty won't take a shot down field on every pass to him.

Even after losing Harry Douglas it seemed like Matt Ryan had great options, but inability for Jenkins to catch (IMO) showed me that Matty lost confidence in him. That's why he held on to the ball so long, got sacked a lot more, and make a lot more picks. He didn't have an option after roddy and gonzo. Ironically, about 80% of his picks were when he threw it to Jenkins.

i agree with the option of just cutting him, save the money and get a younger WR who can eventually produce better.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We currently sit at the 17th pick.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
We currently sit at the 17th pick.
We had the 13th pick before winning the last 2. If we beat the bucs, it is very likely we will go up to at least 20.

If we tanked after we knew the playoff were out of reach, we would have a top ten pick. Either 9 or 10. 3 meaningless wins costed us 10+ picks in the draft. Assuming we beat the bucs.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I could easily see us cutting Jenkins. I really do think we need another option. I think not only has he done an awful job of catching passes, but Matt is constantly locked onto White and Gonzo, because they are the only ones who can get open.
we won't cut Jenkins. He's an above average #2 WR. He doesn't hurt the offense when he plays and he gets open.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
It seems like Gonzo is constantly double teamed, Roddy won't get open 100% of the time & Matty won't take a shot down field on every pass to him.

Even after losing Harry Douglas it seemed like Matt Ryan had great options, but inability for Jenkins to catch (IMO) showed me that Matty lost confidence in him. That's why he held on to the ball so long, got sacked a lot more, and make a lot more picks. He didn't have an option after roddy and gonzo. Ironically, about 80% of his picks were when he threw it to Jenkins.

i agree with the option of just cutting him, save the money and get a younger WR who can eventually produce better.
80% of his picks were to Jenkins? um no... wanna see the break down of who the picks are to, I'll show you:
WR Roddy White - 7 INT's
WR Michael Jenkins - 3 INT's
WR Marty Booker - 3 INT's
TE Tony Gonzalez - 2 INT's

3/15 is not 80%. more like 80% of his INTs aren't to him.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-29-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
we won't cut Jenkins. He's an above average #2 WR. He doesn't hurt the offense when he plays and he gets open.
I could see us not cutting him, but calling him an above average #2 is just false.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
We had the 13th pick before winning the last 2. If we beat the bucs, it is very likely we will go up to at least 20.

If we tanked after we knew the playoff were out of reach, we would have a top ten pick. Either 9 or 10. 3 meaningless wins costed us 10+ picks in the draft. Assuming we beat the bucs.
As terrible as not making the playoffs is, these wins are in no way meaningless barring a loss to the Bucs. I will take 2 consecutive winning seasons for the 1st time in franchise history 100% of the time over a pick 10 spots up. We can finally have a winning franchise.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
BuffaloBillsFan
Rookie

BuffaloBillsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Terrence Cody would make you guys a better team, IMO.

I'm justa meager Bills fan though, but you guys could use a big body in the middle, then Curtis Lofton will go straight to the pro bowl, that guy is a freaking HOUSE.
BuffaloBillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBillsFan View Post
Terrence Cody would make you guys a better team, IMO.

I'm justa meager Bills fan though, but you guys could use a big body in the middle, then Curtis Lofton will go straight to the pro bowl, that guy is a freaking HOUSE.
um. Peria Jerry was playing very well... we did take him in the first. We won't got DT in the first round back to back years. that's just ********.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
iBoldin
Veteran

iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
um. Peria Jerry was playing very well... we did take him in the first. We won't got DT in the first round back to back years. that's just ********.
Yeah but isn't depth an issue? Jerry isn't exactly healthy all the time and both Jerry and Babineaux are DT type players, not nose tackles. Dan Williams is certainly better in a 4-3 but Cody could make due I think.
iBoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
I could see us not cutting him, but calling him an above average #2 is just false.
oh really? of all #2 WR's he ranks these statistically:
#13 catches
#15 rec yards
#10 in Yards per catch (of guys with more than 40 catches)

the only #2's better than him:
Malcom Floyd
Pierre Garcon
Devery Henderson
Roy E. Williams
Donald Driver
Randy Moss
Mario Manningham
Torry Holt
Percy Harvin
Jeremy Maclin
Nate Burleson
Hines Ward
Devin Hester
Anquan Boldin

a good bit of these guys are pro bowlers or pro bowl caliber (bolded)... he's definitely an above average #2 WR. not a top 10, and definitely upgradeable but as the #3 option in the offense he is easily adequate.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoldin View Post
Yeah but isn't depth an issue? Jerry isn't exactly healthy all the time and both Jerry and Babineaux are DT type players, not nose tackles. Dan Williams is certainly better in a 4-3 but Cody could make due I think.
um. We still won't waste time with one in the first round. Why would we waste our first on depth when we need starters at #1 CB, WLB and LDE. We would more than likely just sign a depth DT like Fred Robbins. We also don't use a traditional NT. We use a penetrating style DT for our NT spot as well. we run a 1 tech in Jerry, which is more about penetrating and forcing the double than the typical 2 gap nose tackle people assume is in our scheme.

Jerry has played one season in the NFL. kind of hard to say he isn't healthy all the time based on one year don't you think? a DT is not a need. it's a depth.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think OLBer is a bigger need than we thought, but I wouldn't like one in the first. Here's how I'd like this off-season to go:

free agency: CB, DT, O-line, K....

draft:
1- LDE
3- OLB
4- WR
5- C
6- QB

If we can get a few comp picks I would also like a RB, LT, and TE

Basically a lot of positions to fill.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
oh really? of all #2 WR's he ranks these statistically:
#13 catches
#15 rec yards
#10 in Yards per catch (of guys with more than 40 catches)

the only #2's better than him:
Malcom Floyd
Pierre Garcon
Devery Henderson
Roy E. Williams
Donald Driver
Randy Moss
Mario Manningham
Torry Holt
Percy Harvin
Jeremy Maclin
Nate Burleson
Hines Ward
Devin Hester
Anquan Boldin

a good bit of these guys are pro bowlers or pro bowl caliber (bolded)... he's definitely an above average #2 WR. not a top 10, and definitely upgradeable but as the #3 option in the offense he is easily adequate.

He's got 1 TD, and drops a lot of balls.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
He's got 1 TD, and drops a lot of balls.
Jenkins Drops in comparison as compared to the other guys listed:
Mario Manningham - 10 drops on 88 targets (11.4%)
Roy E. Williams - 7 drops on 79 targets (8.9%)
Donald Driver - 8 drops on 103 targets (7.8%)
Nate Burleson - 7 drops on 100 targets (7.0%)
Devery Henderson - 5 drops on 72 targets (6.9%)
Randy Moss - 8 drops on 125 targets (6.4%)
Michael Jenkins - 5 drops on 80 targets (6.3%)
Hines Ward - 7 drops on 116 targets (6.0%)
Percy Harvin - 4 drops on 78 targets (5.1%)
Malcom Floyd - 3 drops on 60 targets (5.0%)
Devin Hester - 4 drops on 85 targets (4.7%)
Pierre Garcon - 4 drops on 88 targets (4.5%)
Jeremy Maclin - 3 drops on 69 targets (4.3%)
Anquan Boldin - 3 drops on 74 targets (4.1%)
Torry Holt - 2 drops on 86 targets (2.3%)

Jenkins is perfectly average in his amount of drops. He has missed 1 TD because of the drops and 1 INT was a ball that went through his hands. the other drops were on 1st downs... Jenkins is a much more reliable option than he is getting credit for. He gets unfairly criticized.

Stats through week 15 from profootballfocus.com

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

MICHEAL JENKINS SUCKS!!

That's my ******* stat.

BOSFootballstats.com

Quote:
we all hate you