Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
peeing in public is an offense yoou can be charged for, and in some states / areas you can even have to register as a sex offender
i know its not allowed but some lady cant just press charges, how the **** would you prove that
Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah well now they are saying it wasnt big ben, either way its not a big deal and this women needs to stop being such a @##%

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know he is from Ohio. But he really just needs to visit family and that's it. His Miami of OH love has worn off and no one there is going to like him. Fly your golfing buddies to some other golf course. Geez.

But I also agree the ***** needs a new hobby.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So it wasn't Ben, but one of his friends.

That friend should not be allowed to play golf with Ben anymore.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dude honestly though its like... is this even a big deal?

ive personally pissed many a time in public places -- sober and non sober, it just is bad timing i guess for ben

Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, the Saginaw News reports the Steelers are expected to sign OLB LaMarr Woodley to a long-term contract once a new collective bargaining agreement is in place.
Woodley is playing the role of the good soldier, so there's no danger of a holdout or distraction. It's believed that he and his agent have faith in the Steelers' willingness to reward their own players, and a new deal is expected once the "30 percent" rule is out of the picture. Considering his age and production, Woodley should be a nucleus player on the Steelers' defense.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woodley will be the highest paid defensive player in Pittsburgh Steeler history. Bank on it.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

espn ranks mike wallance as the #1 breakout player this year

Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe it. I honestly would not be surprised if he puts up Santonio numbers this year.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I believe it. I honestly would not be surprised if he puts up Santonio numbers this year.
you mean one of the worst catches / passes thrown to % in the league?

lets hope not

Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I meant catches and yards.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I meant catches and yards.
yea i know i just try to hate on tone as much as possible now -- helps ease the pain of his loss

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for mike tomlins new contract

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #7 peeing on the golf course (although rumor has it he was on his way out anyway)

6-10 and high draft picks lets get jonathan baldwin in the fold.
bce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

Man if we draft high I'd like to take a top LT, so BB won't die. Currently I can't see the point of drafting a WR high when we got 2 guys this year.
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Baldwins an elite talent, a superstar talent. a better talent than mike wallace. The guys they picked this year arent elite talents and its unproven if wallace is. When they finally dispense of #7 (tears) theyre going to need weapons so the new guy doesnt struggle. They just signed starks to a huge deal that was well deserved, were not in dire need of a LT and the fact they paid starks proves that they dont feel theyre in dire need for a left tackle.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

Starks is an awful LT, but he could do well as a RT. We had no choice but to extend his contract, that was a necessery move (we didn't really have any other choice).
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

they obviously dont think so and neither do i. Youre listening to media hype because the media steeler haters want us to be devoid of star talent and ahve our team filled with rd 1 ol prospects. Max starks has 2 super bowl rings one at lt, hes certainly good enough. Do you remember this past year when he made jared allen his wife?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

I obviously can't listen to media hype cause I live in Hungary, I can see things in a different objective, without listening to so much media :P By the way Charlie Batch also has 2 Super Bowl rings, so he should also start for us? No, I've just watched our games a lot, and Starks is just simply bad. He doesn't only let people sack BB, but he also steps in his way :D I'll never forget the moment when BB fell to the ground thanks to Starks. And as for Allen, he is not that bad against big guys, but he is bad against speedy guys.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tenor, don't waste the energy.

I'm glad Tomlin got an ext.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorx View Post
Man if we draft high I'd like to take a top LT, so BB won't die. Currently I can't see the point of drafting a WR high when we got 2 guys this year.
this tackle class is awful coming up.

everyone says starks should play RT....doesnt anyone remember how awful he was over there? i think hes played better (mediocre) as a LT than he ever did on the right side
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Starks is far from awfull at LT, he is solid albeit unspectacular, but that wont affect our draft plans in the slightest. We will draft with a mix of need and BPA, if that is a LT we'll draft one, if its not, we wont. Simples.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Okay, so I did an analysis regarding our offensive line, how much money we have invested on it, and if, in the long run, signing a premier free agent is actually more expensive than signing journeymen all over the place, and here's what I found.

Just to make it easier, I assume the salaries are equal per year as are the bonuses, and the guaranteed money is covered in the first years of pay, as it should be.

I started gathering information from when I believe the O-line began to falter, which is the 2007 off-season. Jeff Hartings retired, Faneca was going to enter his last year, Smith started to develop problems, and Starks was already benched in favor of Colon. Also, Simmons was starting to struggle.

In that off-season, we did the following:
- Extend Kendall Simmons for four years, $23.1 million.
- Sign Sean Mahan for five years, $17 million.

In the end, we only paid half of his contract to Simmons as he was released at the beginning of free agency after two years, and we only paid two years of his contract to Sean Mahan as he only played one year for us and was traded away in September to Tampa two years ago.

Total money invested from these contracts up to today: $18.35 million

The next off-season, this is what we did:
- Transition tag used on Max Starks for one year, $6.895 million.
- Extend Chris Kemoeatu as restricted free agent for one year, $1 million.
- Extend Trai Essex as restricted free agent for one year, $1 million.
- Sign Justin Hartwig for 2 years, $4 million.

We paid the transition tag in its entirety, both Kemo and Essex's deals, and only one year of Hartwig's deal because we extended him a year later.

Total money invested from these contracts up to today: $10.895 million.

The next off-season, we spent another huge amount of money on offensive linemen.
- Extended Max Starks for four years, $26.3 million (originally franchised, but he signed an extension).
- Extended Chris Kemoeatu for five years, $20 million.
- Extended Justin Hartwig for four years, $10 million.
- Extended Trai Essex for two years, $2 million.

We've only paid one year of these deals for these guys so far.

Total money invested from these contracts up to today: $14.075 million.

And finally, I couldn't find the information about all of the non-important free agents we've signed and had during these years, so I added $20 million more to the final result.

I know it seems like a lot, but consider the amount of people that have passed through the team and received money Here are a couple:
- Willie Colon's deals
- Darnell Stapleton
- Ramon Foster
- Kraig Urbik
- Jonathan Scott
- Chucky Okobi
- Jason Capizzi
- Tony Hills
- Doug Legursky

Among others.

So, adding all of the quantities up, since the 2007 off-season, the team has invested no less than $63.41 million dollars.

The team also is expected to pay no less than $44.225 million in the next four years, and that's excluding any rookie contracts, a Willie Colon extension, and any other free agent signings.

So, in just three years, the team has managed to bind itself to an absolute minimum of $107.635 million, given out to mediocre-to-bad offensive linemen.

But going back to the money already spent, the $63.41 million, what surprises me the most is that there is absolutely no trace of where the team spent the money on. If somebody says that you invested more than $21.3 million on the offensive line for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS, there's got to be some talent there. But there's not. Which brings me to my final and original point.

There is no doubt in my mind that had we signed either a Jason Brown or a Stacy Andrews or acquired some other player via a trade, we would have payed almost the same amount of money that we did. In the long run, journeymen don't work, even if (at least financially) it seems they do.

You've got to either invest high picks or good free agents, but it's got to be one of the two.

I compared the combined salaries of our starting players (using a $2.5mil/year for Pouncey and Colon) to the combined salaries of some of the best offensive lines in the league. Here's how it pans out.

Steelers: Starks - Kemoeatu - Hartwig - Pouncey - Colon
$18.075 million.

Ravens: Oher - Grubbs - Birk - Yanda - Gaither
$11.9234 million

Eagles: Peters - Herremans - Cole - Andrews - Justice
$25.2912 million

Dolphins: Long - Thomas - Grove - Incognito - Carey
$25.95 million

Titans: Roos - Harris - Amano - Scott - Stewart
$24.265 million

Vikings: McKinnie - Hutchinson - Sullivan - Herrera - Loadholt
$17.98 million

From these stats, it's blatantly clear we made terrible investments in our O-line. It's also very clear that a good O-line costs money. Which is why I think that it's time the FO gets a good free agent this off-season, be it a guard or a tackle.

I'd target Jared Gaither, a mammoth of a man who's young and has proven he can handle the duties of either a LT or a RT. Sign him for about $6 or $7 per year. Then draft the other Pouncey in the second. Maybe also Gabe Carimi in the first or Marcus Cannon in the third. With all these moves, combined, we'd add about $10 million to our payroll, but it'd be worth it. It would only be $3 or $4 million more than what the Eagles and Dolphins are spending, and that's only if we don't release or trade any of the other guys first.

Gaither - Kemo - Pouncey - Pouncey - Carimi/Cannon/Starks

A legit LT, a very talented and promising center, a road-grating LG, a very strong and balanced RG, and another road-grating tackle at RT.

Colon's injury worries me. Players really struggle to return from those. But on the bright side, he's set to become a FA, so he could return for cheap. Starks, though solid, can be improved and would be great depth, or trade bait. Hartwig is set to go to the bench with Pouncey coming along. And we finally get a legitimate RG, not the best players out of a group of youngsters and failed experiments (Essex).

Much improved, takes only one off-season, and it fixes the blunders the FO has had on the offensive line for the past three years.

/analysis.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 07-15-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

The thing with Gaither is, he wants to be paid a lot. I wouldn't mind paying him because he's worth that much, but I have heard he's had a lot of motivation issues. If he's unmotivated to get that payday, what makes you think he'll actually want to play once he gets paid? That's why it's so risky with him. I would love to have him, but he scares me. I wished we got into the Jamaal Brown sweepstakes because we could solve our LT woes easily. We then could have pushed Starks to RT and Colon to guard. Then if Colon got hurt still, we could have nice back up plans at the position. We are actually pretty deep at G. Not a lot of top talent, but deep nonetheless. If we had a true RT or LT, the loss of Colon would not have hurt as much as it does now. We NEED to build our OL again. It won't be sexy, but if we want to become the smash mouth football team again, we have to do so. We have some nice solid pieces, but not a finished product.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
The thing with Gaither is, he wants to be paid a lot. I wouldn't mind paying him because he's worth that much, but I have heard he's had a lot of motivation issues. If he's unmotivated to get that payday, what makes you think he'll actually want to play once he gets paid? That's why it's so risky with him. I would love to have him, but he scares me. I wished we got into the Jamaal Brown sweepstakes because we could solve our LT woes easily. We then could have pushed Starks to RT and Colon to guard. Then if Colon got hurt still, we could have nice back up plans at the position. We are actually pretty deep at G. Not a lot of top talent, but deep nonetheless. If we had a true RT or LT, the loss of Colon would not have hurt as much as it does now. We NEED to build our OL again. It won't be sexy, but if we want to become the smash mouth football team again, we have to do so. We have some nice solid pieces, but not a finished product.
I wasn't aware of his motivation issues. That's a big red mark then. I hate watching players in contract years, they always play great and then suck it up the next year.

Nevertheless, we should still get high picks on O-Line.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Yeah ask any Baltimore fan on here. They like him, but are afraid of giving him money because he hasn't been too motivated.