Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about... Earl Thomas.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas I like. I also think he's rated really high right now, and it'd be tough to move up to get him. In terms of free safeties I think he's a nice fit with his coverage abilities, but we could probably find a player who will be as productive or more productive in our scheme the second round. Lots of other players who will bring a little more physicality which I think is something aside from a ballhawk that we could use in a safety. Jimmy L is a pretty small guy as well though he is kind of physical, that's a pretty small safety duo. I do like Thomas as a player outside of the fact that he seems a little one dimensional as a safety right now, but between where his stock is and what kind of value we could get from another player in another round potentially I'm not completely sold it makes sense to go after him. If we do though I'll trust the organization and be very happy about the pick. Just not sure I see it happening.

What about Mike Iupati?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

would any1 else be happy if we drafted Jerry Hughes in the 1st? I don't think he'll be there late 2nd round. Liked him since i read in si magazine he was a h.s. running back. shows he's a hard worker. i don't want jason taylor

then i'd draft maybe mount cody in the 2nd round. or a guy to be a DE. is arthur jones good? or an offensive guy

Sig by, Hitman D

Last edited by katnip : 04-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

What about Mike Iupati?
Iupati would be a great value pick late in the 1st. We have one of the older(and better) O-lines in the league and could use the depth in case somebody went down(knock on wood). I wouldn't mind the Iupati pick at all, because I don't think we have any glaring needs like most teams in the 1st round. If he dropped to us at 29 he would most likely be one of the BPA so there's no way I could dislike adding such a talented player. I wouldn't walk away from day 1 thinking we instantly got better on the field, but Iupati could down the road be a star and join Mangold and D'brick at the Pro Bowl.

What about Taylor Mays? He seems to be a controversial prospect in this draft and figures to go right around us....
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
What about Taylor Mays? He seems to be a controversial prospect in this draft and figures to go right around us....
I was going to mention him. I'd love for Anthony Davis to somehow fall to us. Or for us to trade up a few spots for him. He's capable of RT i'm assuming though

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mays isn't a guy I'm a huge fan of either. That said, I could see him being a better pro in a scheme where he's asked to do more than take away the deep ball. He certainly did some nice things at USC and I think he gets a little too much of a workout warrior rap, but I'm still not sold on him. However, he could probably be an animal if used properly and a team accentuates his strengths and if there's a scheme and team he could excel in/on I think this is one of them.

Davis I think certainly can play RT but I doubt he falls...look at Andre Smith last year. Similar concerns, great talent although not quite with the tape that Smith had. I think he'll fall a bit but not this far, certainly an intriguing prospect though and we could absolutely help at RT.

What about Kyle Wilson?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

At first my thought on Mays was that I wanted no part of him. Now I'm not sure how I would feel if we got him. I would probably be intrigued to see what Rex could do with such an athletic guy back there. I think of all the players in the 2nd half of the 1st round he has the highest ceiling and lowest floor. I could see him being an All-Pro or an all out bust. I think in a system like ours he would have the best chance to reach his full potential, but still I'm not sure about him.

Kyle Wilson is hands down my favorite prospect in this draft. Before we made the deal for Cromartie I was praying he would make it to us because he would be impossible to pass up. Now that we have Cromartie we don't need him nearly as bad, but I'm still hoping there's some way that he makes it past Atlanta and Houston. IMO I would rather have him over Haden. I think right off the bat Wilson could be an outstanding slot corner, which these days is practically a starter. He would give us great depth at a crucial position and would be an excellent backup plan in case the Cromartie deal doesn't work out. Even if the right deal came about and we traded up a few spots to get him, I wouldn't mind at all.

We're almost running out of prospects here, how do we feel about Demaryius Thomas?

Last edited by msolimani : 04-11-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Getting Santonio Holmes changes everything. There is almost no chance we take Tate, Benn, Gilyard, or Thomas now.

I'm expecting us to go mostly defense. We could probably use one more corner as I don't like anyone we have besides Revis, Cromartie, and Lowery. Kyle Wilson was mentioned before, and Devin McCourty's name has been linked to us for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if we took either of them.

We have Leonhard at one safety, and a tandem of Eric Smith and Brodney Poole at the other slot. I don't think it's a glaring need, but there is certainly room for improvement. We've already said Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays. Maybe Myron Rolle with our 6th or Reshad Jones with our 2nd?

But the most glaring holes as of now are in the front 7. We need another pass rusher opposite Pace (Bryan Thomas would still be there on 1st and 2nd down, but we need to bring the heat on 3rd). One name that hasn't been said already is Ricky Sapp.

Our defensive line is still pretty old. We haven't resigned Marques Douglas yet, which I find disturbing. Mike DeVito is the only contributor along the line who won't be at least 30 years old this season. I'd like to get Odrick, but Wooten is also an option here.

On offense, we reportedly worked out Pouncey, who could slide over to guard, and maybe could replace Faneca after this year (I'm not for this, but just an idea).

At this point, I think defensive line depth is crucial for us, and we need to take a long and hard look at Odrick, Wooten, Cody, and Cam Thomas. Another sleeper could be Linval Joseph with our 4th.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think we could take Linval Joseph, but earlier than the 4th. Wooton is an option but he's actually pretty light right now, and I don't think Odrick is going to be an option. Cam Thomas I don't love, I do think Cody is an option. Alex Carrington is a possibility in the second or third if we end up there. Arthur Jones is another option, and there are a bunch of mid-round 5-tech options.

One guy was worked out twice who I think could be an interesting option and a guy Ryan might be intrigued by is Greg Hardy. He certainly has been dominant on the field and seems fluid enough to play standing up, plus he'd like to play linebacker. Definitely an interesting risk/reward guy, I'm sure interviews and how he responded to coaching in the workouts really impacted how he'll be viewed by the organizatoin.

Definitely seems like this is going to be a defense/offensive line draft though. Really interested to see what direction they elect to go in with the first pick, one of the more intriguing drafts for the Jets in recent years.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okay123 View Post
Getting Santonio Holmes changes everything. There is almost no chance we take Tate, Benn, Gilyard, or Thomas now.

I'm expecting us to go mostly defense. We could probably use one more corner as I don't like anyone we have besides Revis, Cromartie, and Lowery. Kyle Wilson was mentioned before, and Devin McCourty's name has been linked to us for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if we took either of them.
Unless we make trades to only take two or three guys, I actually expect us to take an almost even amount of offense and defense. It would probably be wise to use a couple of those early picks on defense though.

I don't really ever think Bay Bay was an option for us, but if this Holmes thing goes through I think we could safely push that idea out of contention. I do somewhat like him though. I think however that he needs to go somewhere a little more low-key where the pressure wouldn't be so high because he'll need a bit of time to completely develop.

How about... Torrell Troup.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Troup's an interesting guy. I know some like him as the best NT in the draft, I'll be honest I don't get UCF games so I really haven't seen any of him. That said I'd certainly like a NT and he seems to have the skill set, if the organization decides he's a guy they could see as the NT of the future then I'm all for drafting Troup. Think he'd be worth a look in the second if they really like him.

In terms of the mostly defense, with 5 picks I can't see much more than 2 being used on offense right now. Outside of linemen and maybe a TE or a RB, what's really needed?

One thing about our position that's kind of interesting is we're in an ideal spot for a team that passes on a QB in round 1 to trade up into late round 2 ahead of the Vikes and draft Tebow or McCoy. With all of the flash and having fans come out and stay till late at night I wonder if the organization will be afraid of some backlash trading out of the first round and not picking till Friday. I hope not, but it's something to think about. Plenty of fans wouldn't be happy about that and you know there will be a bunch of Jets fans there.

I'm thinking we should try to pull together a short list of players that we all think have a good chance to be our first pick. Maybe like 8-10 guys or so, perhaps even less. Obviously whether or not we move up has to be taken into account, and if a player is expected to go considerably higher than pick #29 to put them on the list they'd have to be an ideal fit and in an area where it's realistic that they'd be able to land that player. I'll throw out a few names for feedback on whether or not people think we'd be likely to take that player, all of whom we've talked about. The real question is if you've got to come up with a list of just a few guys who you think we'll pick at #29, would these players make it? Four guys who come to mind who seem like they've got a decent chance to me at least are: Devin McCourty, Terrence Cody, Taylor Mays, and Jerry Hughes.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

Quote:
Four guys who come to mind who seem like they've got a decent chance to me at least are: Devin McCourty, Terrence Cody, Taylor Mays, and Jerry Hughes.
Aside from Cody I think those are three legitimate options for the first round. It definitely seems like our list is starting to slim down, unless we plan on going BPA. I'm a big Hughes fan. Seeing him make it to us is somewhat of a strong possibility, in which case I think we would have to take him. A few other names I'm sure are under consideration if they make it are: Odrick(I think there's a decent chance he makes it to us), Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, and Brandon Graham. I'm aware a lot of those guys are projected to go in the late teens to early 20's but it's tough to predict what teams are looking for and where people will fall that late in the 1st. IMO one of those 4 will make it to 29 or a few spots before (in which case we trade up a few slots?) and we take them. 8 days til the draft!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

There's some rumors that the Browns might trade up to #1, but also rumors they may want to trade down in the first to grab Colt McCoy. Let me just say right now that it would be too funny if we trade up to #7 for a package centered around Leon Washington, Brad Smith, and some picks. Maybe like Eric Smith or Drew Coleman too.

On a more realistic note, maybe they go BPA at pick #7 and try to move up into the late first to grab McCoy and we could play lets make a deal there, recoup some of the picks we've lost.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
There's some rumors that the Browns might trade up to #1, but also rumors they may want to trade down in the first to grab Colt McCoy. Let me just say right now that it would be too funny if we trade up to #7 for a package centered around Leon Washington, Brad Smith, and some picks. Maybe like Eric Smith or Drew Coleman too.

On a more realistic note, maybe they go BPA at pick #7 and try to move up into the late first to grab McCoy and we could play lets make a deal there, recoup some of the picks we've lost.
I've been predicting all along that we'll move up to get Berry. I honestly see rex going after the ball hawking safty its just so important in his D.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

That was more of a joke than anything else, I think that scenario is extremely unrealistic. Though I could see us trading out of the first round with a team who wants to pick a QB.

Predraft presser today was mildly interesting. Made it clear that defensive line and CB will both get a look at some point, although Tannenbaum noted that Ryan has a profile he looks for in DL's and has had success grooming late round/UDFA guys so they don't feel they have to draft one early. Said that they like where they're at with picks 29 and 61 and don't feel a need to move up, though we all know you have to take things this time of year with a grain of salt. Nothing else really of note.

Interesting thing from Scott's chat today was that he could see Alualu sneaking into round 1...Linval Joseph too. Wonder if they'd be options at #29. Said Alualu is at the very worst an early second rounder and that he'll get drafted a lot higher than most realize, that being the case he's not even that much of a reach at that spot. I could buy us drafting a corner early and some DL's later over reaching for Alualu, but who knows.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets should trade up no matter what. If they trade up then it has to be Earl Thomas, period.

If they shockingly traded down then it should be no less than top 6 in the 2nd round in order to land Morgan Burnett.

If Jets stayed put then they could go reach on DL like Joseph or Alualu.

It would be nice that Rams select Suh as the 1st overall pick and then trade with Jets for Clausen.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

It's interesting how adamant Tannenbaum was about being against trading up. If it stays true and we stick to our picks or even trade down, hopefully they still are able to make great selections.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
It's interesting how adamant Tannenbaum was about being against trading up. If it stays true and we stick to our picks or even trade down, hopefully they still are able to make great selections.
Honestly, I don't really buy it. He said he didn't want to trade up again in the Revis/Harris draft but when Harris was sitting there he had too...was reluctant to trade up to draft Shonn Greene but decided to also. I don't think they have one guy they feel they need to get like Sanchez or Revis, but if somebody falls who they really like they'll jump up. Plus I don't believe anything anybody says this time of year anyway.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Cimini made a point in his most recent draft prediction of saying that DE and S aren't premium positions in Ryan's defense and it'd be unlikely to spend first round picks on those positions or trade up to get a guy at one of those positions unless value was incredible. I'm not sure what to think of that. On one hand he had some tremendous players at those positions in Baltimore, and on the other hand this defense got away with starting Mike DeVito and Eric Smith more than once or twice with no real issues. He said that NT, OLB, and CB are really the premium positions, but Jenkins was also out half the season, Lito Sheppard was starting, and Bryan Thomas had like no sacks.

It just seems that, to me, the defense is greater than the sum of its parts. There may or may not be premium positions, but it seems like this scheme got away with not having premium players just about everywhere except ILB and ended up #1 in the league. I also think that Ryan and Pettine are able to scheme to take advantage of the talents of their players instead of fitting square pegs into round holes, so if they find a guy they like at any position they'll be able to draft him and put him in a position to succeed by tweaking the defense a bit. So any position in this scheme can have an impact guy, Ed Reed being a great example of that at a supposedly non premium position. It'll be interesting to see if he's right.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I basically just want the BPA for defense or someone who falls that shouldn't. If one of the big time O-linemen fall or maybe even Taylor Mays (Who I don't love, but cmon, hes so sexy that late). I really am leaning towards an early safety because I really don't want Eric Smith to get a tremendous amount of playing time, regardless of what anyone says about safety not being an impact position in Rex's defense. But if safety can't happen, I really just want more athletes. If we get guys that can rush the passer, we wont need to send nearly as many guys, which was a bit of a problem.

Last edited by josh07039 : 04-17-2010 at 04:33 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Cimini made a point in his most recent draft prediction of saying that DE and S aren't premium positions in Ryan's defense and it'd be unlikely to spend first round picks on those positions or trade up to get a guy at one of those positions unless value was incredible. I'm not sure what to think of that. On one hand he had some tremendous players at those positions in Baltimore, and on the other hand this defense got away with starting Mike DeVito and Eric Smith more than once or twice with no real issues. He said that NT, OLB, and CB are really the premium positions, but Jenkins was also out half the season, Lito Sheppard was starting, and Bryan Thomas had like no sacks.

It just seems that, to me, the defense is greater than the sum of its parts. There may or may not be premium positions, but it seems like this scheme got away with not having premium players just about everywhere except ILB and ended up #1 in the league. I also think that Ryan and Pettine are able to scheme to take advantage of the talents of their players instead of fitting square pegs into round holes, so if they find a guy they like at any position they'll be able to draft him and put him in a position to succeed by tweaking the defense a bit. So any position in this scheme can have an impact guy, Ed Reed being a great example of that at a supposedly non premium position. It'll be interesting to see if he's right.
Great points! It's funny but I had thought the same thing as Cimini (probably a bad thing) having never read his article, most especially about the DE position. Granted I never really think DE is terribly important in the 3-4, as far as getting star potential there anyway. But yeah. I just imagine we'll go BPA at a position of relative need, but I would be inclined to believe that DE and Safety are two positions it's a little easier to get the guy they'd want later on in the draft, opposed to something like a skill position, rush linebacker, or starting caliber CB.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Great points! It's funny but I had thought the same thing as Cimini (probably a bad thing) having never read his article, most especially about the DE position. Granted I never really think DE is terribly important in the 3-4, as far as getting star potential there anyway. But yeah. I just imagine we'll go BPA at a position of relative need, but I would be inclined to believe that DE and Safety are two positions it's a little easier to get the guy they'd want later on in the draft, opposed to something like a skill position, rush linebacker, or starting caliber CB.
Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.
I think McCourty could make a real impact as a 3rd corner. He'd be on the field probably about half the snaps and there are some pretty good 3 WR sets out there. Not that it matters much but we'd then have 3 high level corners and 3 high level wideouts. Rex does love his cornerbacks too...and it's a nice insurance policy to have if Cromartie doesn't work out.

I would love a rush linebacker though. Don't think defensive line, unless it's an end, makes much more sense than going with a corner like McCourty. No NT is going to see a ton of the field unless Jenks gets hurt, and I don't think a DE has good value at #29. Safety like Mays would be intriguing if value matches up...I think a DE or a S is easier to get in round 2 though. Could get a decent corner or OLB also, but I think those are more premium positions that should get the focus in round 1. That all changes if Odrick or Mays is on the board though for me.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think McCourty could make a real impact as a 3rd corner. He'd be on the field probably about half the snaps and there are some pretty good 3 WR sets out there. Not that it matters much but we'd then have 3 high level corners and 3 high level wideouts. Rex does love his cornerbacks too...and it's a nice insurance policy to have if Cromartie doesn't work out.

I would love a rush linebacker though. Don't think defensive line, unless it's an end, makes much more sense than going with a corner like McCourty. No NT is going to see a ton of the field unless Jenks gets hurt, and I don't think a DE has good value at #29. Safety like Mays would be intriguing if value matches up...I think a DE or a S is easier to get in round 2 though. Could get a decent corner or OLB also, but I think those are more premium positions that should get the focus in round 1. That all changes if Odrick or Mays is on the board though for me.
Even though the defense improved a bit when Jenkins went out, I would still like to have a real successor/backup because without Jenkins the run d just wasnt as good. Im not saying this year, but we need to look for someone soon. When I said D-Line i just kinda meant in general, but obviously end is a much bigger need and easier to fill where we'll be picking. Im just hoping whoever we get is an athletic guy who can make plays.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree. i think we should take a corner and a rush OLB with the first two picks. then we can worry about DE, OL, more secondary depth later in the draft..

also bring in a few udfa RBs and WRs