Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 1: vs Dallas Cowboys

Well, not pre-season as in the games, but just all the stuff going on before the season. Discuss all the mini-camps, training camps, news, roster/depth chart predictions and whatever else.

Sig by BoneKrusher
DJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First up, the first day of rookie Mini Camp

Quote:
Morris impressed by Freeman's presence

By ANWAR RICHARDSON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: May 1, 2009

TAMPA - Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris' enthusiasm about Josh Freeman has only increased since drafting him nearly one week ago.

"He took control of the huddle," Morris said. "I don't believe he had one bad snap besides the guard tripping him earlier in the walkthrough.

"Other than that, he got every snap. Delivered the football, controlled the huddle well. Made some nice throws. Did some things we liked today."

Morris was also impressed by Freeman's size (6-foot-6, 250 pounds) and presence in the huddle during Tampa Bay's rookie mini-camp on Friday. The coach would not say if Freeman would start this season, but he did say he would only take four quarterbacks to training camp this season.

Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Brian Griese and Freeman are currently under contract. When Morris was asked if he had spoken with Griese since drafting Freeman he said no. He did say Griese left a message for him earlier on Friday and Morris intended to return the call.

Overall, Morris said every invited player had a chance to make this year's team and trumpeted the success of Clifton Smith as a motivational tool. Smith was an undrafted free agent invited to last year's mini-camp who not only made the team, but became a Pro Bowler.

"All these guys here, they come in, you want to flood them with information," Morris said. "You want to give it to them. You want to see if they can take it out to the grass and then do it. The other part is you want to see conditioning, how guys last. You guys know it's hot down here in camp and you got to have bodies.

"People are dropping out with bodies. We got a body count out there right now. You got to get the guys who have the best conditioning, guys who can pick it up, retain it, take it to the field and do it."

Morris said he was impressed with receiver Sammie Stroughter, Tampa Bay's recent seventh round draft pick. His only criticism of Stroughter was he danced around too much after catching a pass, but Morris liked his potential.

One subject Morris did not dance around was the possibility of linebacker Derrick Brooks rejoining the team. Brooks was cut shortly after Morris was hired, and although the linebacker has expressed interest in playing for Tampa Bay, it seems unlikely.

"You never want to say no to anything. You don't want to be that way period, but we've made plans. We've moved on," Morris said. "We went out and got [Angelo] Crowell. We moved Jermaine Phillips to linebacker. We got Barrett Ruud playing mic [linebacker] for us. We have some guys in the stable like Quincy Black, Geno Hayes."

"We went out and got Niko Koutouvides. We got Jamall Johnson. I don't want to miss anybody, but we got some guys stacked in a row who we're going to let compete first before we make any decisions as far as Derrick Brooks, or any other backer for that matter."

New OLine coach, Pete Mangurian

DeAngelo Willingham, one of the players I think will stick

Roy Miller

Kyle Moore

Real happy to hear that Morris like Sammie too. I'm pretty high on the kid and I think he could be our starting slot sooner than later.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by DJC : 05-01-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read that the Buccaneers are really high on Iowa's Rob Bruggeman so I wouldn't be shocked if he hung around long into the off season. He only started one year at C in Iowa, but to be honest, would anyone be surprised to see a guy like him displace Sean Mahan?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:56 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post

DeAngelo Willingham, one of the players I think will stick

He is already a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster.

:D :) :D

Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

We picked up Ryan Purvis for the mini-camp to. Something that isn't surprising at all considering his ties with Jagodzinski.

Anyone else think we might try some wildcat this year? I think we could since we picked up some guys like EJ Biggers and Rodney Landers recently. Biggers is a former QB and all-Dade county two way player back in high school and even attempted a few passes in college. Landers was a QB in college but projects to WR in the league. I'm probably just getting ahead of myself like I did last year when I was saying we might try Talib at WR some.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

More from yesterday, including some Morris quotes - http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsd...px?newsid=7076

Quote:
On who would optimally be the starting quarterback in September:
"I'll answer that one like this: The starting quarterback thing, I'll let you guys know the third preseason game. I want these guys to compete. I mean, I've got Luke McCown, I've got Byron Leftwich, I've got Josh Johnson, I've got Josh Freeman and I've got Brian Griese still on staff right now. I need these guys to get in here and just compete, and I want to play the best one out of those five guys and go to work. Now, obviously I'm going to camp with just four but I want to play the best one out of those guys."
Haha I love how he always mentions Griese last. I think we go into the season with one of Leftwich/McCown making the team and starting, Josh Freeman, and Josh Johnson.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Captain Fear
Rookie

Captain Fear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We traded Alex Smith to the Pats for an undisclosed draft pick. What do you think we got for him?

Maybe its conditional, but hopefully a 3rd/4th.
Captain Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fear View Post
We traded Alex Smith to the Pats for an undisclosed draft pick. What do you think we got for him?

Maybe its conditional, but hopefully a 3rd/4th.
From TBO
Quote:
Buc Got A Fifth-Round Pick For Smith
Posted May 03, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Updated May 03, 2009 at 11:46 AM

By ROY CUMMINGS
rcummings@tampatrib.com

TAMPA – For those of you keeping score at home, it was a fifth-round pick in next year’s draft that the Bucs got back from the Patriots in the Alex Smith trade.

Smith was deemed expendable after the Bucs traded for tight end Kellen Winslow and re-signed tight end Jerramy Stevens.

The Bucs gave up a second-round pick in this year’s draft and a fifth next year for Winslow. They now have the fifth back.
Exactly what I thought we'd get. Just wish we could've gotten like a 6th or even 7th for Griese, looks like we'll just cut him though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

“This has been a long time coming for me and I’m not letting anybody take it from me. And it’s the first legitimate opportunity. Say what you want about getting three starts at the end of a season.

“But this is my first real opportunity to be the starter, to be the guy. And I look at it as mine and you’re going to have to shoot me.”

From Luke McCown.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The Bucs revealed that FB Byron Storer suffered a "significant" setback in his recovery from a torn ACL.
It sounds like he may miss the season. "It's a major setback and he won't be back for a significant amount of time," coach Raheem Morris said. The Bucs have B.J. Askew and Jameel Cook. Earnest Graham can also lead block.
Not the greatest of news.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Not the greatest of news.
I'm gutted for the guy, I love watching him fly around on ST's, prayers and thoughts.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I'm gutted for the guy, I love watching him fly around on ST's, prayers and thoughts.
I was a fan of his too. Unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that he goes down the route other promising players have gone down. The Paris Warren's and Antoine Cash's of the world treat us in pre-season, then injure themselves halting all progress they had made.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big fan of Storer's. Durability problems at the FB position is not good.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we released storer :/

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
we released storer :/
That sucks. I know he was small (220ish I believe), but he played a lot bigger than he was.

I hope we go out and find someone to compete with Jameel Cook for the back-up position. If Askew gets injured (almost a certainty unfortunately) we need someone to come in and not miss a beat so our running game stays strong.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Unhappy

May 16, 2009 5:01 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

Very quietly, the Buccaneers waived fullback Byron Storer on Friday.

The Bucs have not announced the move to the media, but they reported the transaction to the NFL office Friday afternoon. Storer was waived with an injury settlement.

The move comes a few days after coach Raheem Morris said Storer had suffered a major setback in his recovery from last season's knee injury. This leaves the Bucs short on depth at fullback, where B.J. Askew is the starter, but there's not much after him.

Tailback Earnest Graham was forced into some fullback duty last season when both Askew and Storer were injured. The Bucs brought back veteran Jameel Cook after those injuries and he remains with the team. But the Bucs likely will look to bring in someone to compete with Cook for the backup role.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/...FB-Storer.html

I really hope he rec'd a decent wedge and has something to fall back on, I hate hearing about players who are released due to injury.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

where the **** is the activity guys

ruud isnt participating in camp because of contract disputes

we better pay that guy good, he's probably the best player on the team

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

I agree. Ruud has been one of my players since we selected him in the draft. Considering we have so much cap space this season, we should use some of it on hefty roster bonuses for players who deserve it (ie Ruud, Joseph, Jackson etc).

Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

lol

I actually had a random post written out hours before your post....just so we kept the activity within 10 days. but I never clicked the post reply....kind of like an experiment to see who would break the ice and win.

Way to make it uneventful :(

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-31-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Me Likey Rookies
Veteran

Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Me Likey Rookies is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone worried about the lack of participation at OTAs this year? It could be nothing but Ruud, Penn, and everyone else that have been skipping camp better be ready to go for TC.

I would pay both Ruud and Penn now. Ruud has earned it. As for Penn, he has played really well and they can sign him for cheaper now than they could if he has a great 2009 season.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 AM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Anyone know what the coaching staff is hoping for in regards to the running back position? Are they looking for Derrick Ward to start 16 games? Or a by commitee approach? Whats Cadillac's status? How many pateller tendons does this guys have...
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

dbtb135 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
Anyone know what the coaching staff is hoping for in regards to the running back position? Are they looking for Derrick Ward to start 16 games? Or a by commitee approach? Whats Cadillac's status? How many pateller tendons does this guys have...
I don't know why Ward would be looked at as the starter. He probably benefited from the Giants line and being a change of pace back. Not taking away from him, but he's not going to be averaging 5 yards a pop here. Ward fits the ZBS better, but Graham is a better blocker and receiver. And just like in the last scheme, Graham will be helped by the fact that he's a downhill runner who doesn't dance around. Graham will be his new Brandon Jacobs and wear teams down for Ward's superior speed late in games. They'll probably split close to 50-50, but I expect Graham to start most of the game and get a slight edge on the carries.

Caddy should be ready to go by opening day. This injury isn't as severe as the last one, which he came back somewhat early on. It was torn away from the bone which is apparently easier to fix and results in less rehab. He's trying to be back by the start of TC, but as usual, the coaches have to bring him back in. In a way, he works way too hard for his own good. He wants to be back ASAP, and that didn't work out so well for him last time...
dbtb135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Ward looks pretty good right now. He's breaking a lot more tackles than Graham and drives his legs through contact. He finishes his runs.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caddy is going to start Thursday against the Phins.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Can't wait to see Caddy tomorrow night. He's been getting rave reviews this week.

sig by BoneKrusher