Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite philosopher(s)?
Ancient Philosophy (Aristotle, Plato) 13 19.40%
Scholasticism (St. Thomas Aquinas) 3 4.48%
Renaissance Humanism (Thomas More, Erasmus) 1 1.49%
Rationalism (Descartes, Voltaire, Kant) 18 26.87%
Empiricism, Social Contract (John Locke, David Hume) 11 16.42%
Social Materialism/Marxism (Karl Marx, Hegel) 6 8.96%
Existentialism (Kafka, Nietzsche) 7 10.45%
Post-Moderism/Structuralism (Derrida, Foucault, Nietzsche) 5 7.46%
Analytical Philosophy (Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein) 1 1.49%
Structuralism (Levi-Strauss, Ferdinand de Saussure, Chomsky) 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
His goals are because he is human...
but why does everyone has different goals?

if u say its in the human nature to have goals. yes okay thats fine.
but not those goals he has, its different for everyone.

if u say its human nature, as long as u are human, you are going to do that. thats not true, there are enough humans that dont do that stuff, thats why everyone of us reacts differently, hell thats the reason why he have this discussion. if it was in the human nature, why would i be against it?

its the same thing like saying: being unemployed is the reason for hating foreigners. it certainly is not. if it was the reason, every person that is unemployed would become a xenophobe. thats not the case. its the ideas and thoughts u derive from unemployement that ultimately are the reason for that, not because u dont have work.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
ideas are what makes the world go around. One cannot be too idealistic, as long as one does not lose sight of the realisty in which these ideas are to be realised.

I'm a pretty idealistic guy, but I try hard not to forget that some things are pretty hard to change. There's nothing wrong with having ideas. Frankly people without ideas are uninteresting. If nobody thinks of anything new, how is anything ever going to change?
What are you talking about ideas for? I agree that having ideas is what makes change. I am talking about being idealistic, thinking that the ideal can be achieved.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

when is an idea idealistic?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

hey renji do you believe that human beings can ever be content? I mean if you gave everyone a new giant plasm TV for each room, a mansion, a maybach, a lifetime supply of food, and ounce of weed a weak, a never ending liquor supply, a winter and summer home with a bunch of crap, would human beings on average be content and just live happily ever after? Because I don't, I think no matter how much people want there will be the desire for more and the only thing stopping people who are content from getting more is the difficulty of acquiring more. That's what I mean by unlimited wants, IMO Man's hunger is infinite, which is why I think it's faulty to think unlimited resources would make men content, you're comparing two infinite values.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hero View Post
hey renji do you believe that human beings can ever be content? I mean if you gave everyone a new giant plasm TV for each room, a mansion, a maybach, a lifetime supply of food, and ounce of weed a weak, a never ending liquor supply, a winter and summer home with a bunch of crap, would human beings on average be content and just live happily ever after? Because I don't, I think no matter how much people want there will be the desire for more and the only thing stopping people who are content from getting more is the difficulty of acquiring more. That's what I mean by unlimited wants, IMO Man's hunger is infinite, which is why I think it's faulty to think unlimited resources would make men content, you're comparing two infinite values.
i think at that point a person is gonna look for something like a hobby. say painting. could his motivation not be to make the best pictures to give away to other people to make them happy? couldnt it just be to make people smile?
i mean there are enough people in the world that dont care about money or materialstic possessions that much. why do we always use the generalization humans?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
why is more food = more power if we are talking about a scenario where there is unlimited food?

your experiment is idiotic though, it doesnt even make sense. doing idiotic things i believe are wrong has nothing do to with power rather than being dumb.
Ok, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant that everyone on earth would have enough to survive, not enough to have as much as they wanted. Unlimited resources would end the notion of greed as we know it, but people will still want more than they need to survive, which is still greed.

It has everything to do with power. If you have no power you are compelled to do whatever anyone tells you. The most basic form of power is that of the power over yourself, after that it is to be able to influence those around you. Humans need some sort of power, not only the first but also the latter. Constantly submitting to the will of others is lacking power.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the biggest mistake humanity ever made was believe that we need dumb **** like plasma tv's, cars and other luxuries. We don't need anything like that. But I gotta say good job capitalism for thrusting that idea into our heads.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i think at that point a person is gonna look for something like a hobby. say painting. could his motivation not be to make the best pictures to give away to other people to make them happy? couldnt it just be to make people smile?
i mean there are enough people in the world that dont care about money or materialstic possessions that much. why do we always use the generalization humans?
No, it couldn't just be to make others smile. His motivation is the benefit he gets from making that person smile, not the other person smiling.

We generalize humans because they are easy to generalize, and are typically right. Of course not everyone is exactly the same, but they are pretty damn close. It is possible to overcome nature, thats what the rational part of our brain attempts to do. But it isn't possible to overcome nature every step of the way.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
the biggest mistake humanity ever made was believe that we need dumb **** like plasma tv's, cars and other luxuries. We don't need anything like that. But I gotta say good job capitalism for thrusting that idea into our heads.
See, you are getting it backwards. The invention of those things are what has caused capitalism to turn us materialistic. Inventions that make our life easier or gives us distractions far predates capitalism, capitalism has only allowed a larger percentage of a given population to get their hands on things that make life easier and to distract us from boredom.

We don't NEED anything but food, shelter, and companionship.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Ok, I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant that everyone on earth would have enough to survive, not enough to have as much as they wanted. Unlimited resources would end the notion of greed as we know it, but people will still want more than they need to survive, which is still greed.

It has everything to do with power. If you have no power you are compelled to do whatever anyone tells you. The most basic form of power is that of the power over yourself, after that it is to be able to influence those around you. Humans need some sort of power, not only the first but also the latter. Constantly submitting to the will of others is lacking power.
In my estimation, greed is always something trying to hurt someone else. why do i need to hurt someone else?

The one mistake i see hear in the thinking of humans is, that if u have to submit to someones will, it means u see that there is something wrong with it. u have to make clear to him what is wrong with his idea. there is no need for anyone to force someone to do something, its way easier to convince people and try to achieve to do the right thing for example.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Sure there are some people who will be fairly content but by and large do you think that would be the case? I mean if we think most will just pick up hobbies won't their desire to excel in those hobbies create a form of greed that will make them not content?

Quote:
I agree same with stupid things like plans, trains, skyscrapers, modern medicine, etc...technology is a journey, every step is important and without the development of luxuries for profit you'd have far less developed technologies. I mean without that concept we wouldn't be communicating right now.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
In my estimation, greed is always something trying to hurt someone else. why do i need to hurt someone else?

The one mistake i see hear in the thinking of humans is, that if u have to submit to someones will, it means u see that there is something wrong with it. u have to make clear to him what is wrong with his idea. there is no need for anyone to force someone to do something, its way easier to convince people and try to achieve to do the right thing for example.
That isn't what greed is... You are arguing a notion that exists only in your own head.

Greed
Pronunciation:
\ˈgrēd\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
back-formation from greedy
Date:

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

Greed has nothing to do with hurting someone else to get your way, it is only the want of more than is needed.

It is much easier to force someone to submit to your way, people rarely change their minds about things they believe in. There is a reason conservatives watch Fox News and liberals watch MSNBC, and that is because your brain rewards you for finding things that agree with your own viewpoints and punishes you for finding things that disagree.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

okay, but why do i need more than i need?

i agree, its the way it is right now. but is it good? is it smart? isnt it better to discuss to agree upon something that both can agree on or to establish the one thing that is right.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Quote:

i agree, its the way it is right now. but is it good? is it smart? isnt it better to discuss to agree upon something that both can agree on or to establish the one thing that is right.
Because all you "need" is food, shelter, a ho and some friends. If we want back to only what we need we'd be a third world country.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:

That is the way it has always been... That is the way it is in the animal kingdom. This isn't a human construct. Why do the alpha males in a pack of wolves need every female? They don't, but they want it so they take it.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Because all you "need" is food, shelter, a ho and some friends. If we want back to only what we need we'd be a third world country.
well there is the need to satisfy ur boredem for example. but there i dont see why u need say 5 working computers if u can only handle one at a time

Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Exactly, what I find quite funny about this conversation is that in less than a month I will be living what Gay Ork is advocating. I am going hitchhiking with a friend for the summer with a backpack of clothes and MAYBE 50 dollars. She has a tent, her clothes, and MAYBE 50 dollars.

Gay Ork, you are advocating living with only the bare necessities, so quit arguing for it and go out and live it. When you come back see if thats still how you think life should be.

Last edited by someone447 : 05-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.
someone447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree same with stupid things like plans, trains, skyscrapers, modern medicine, etc...technology is a journey, every step is important and without the development of luxuries for profit you'd have far less developed technologies. I mean without that concept we wouldn't be communicating right now.
new things are invented all the time, since humans are naturally inventive. It has very little to do with the profit system.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
That is the way it has always been... That is the way it is in the animal kingdom. This isn't a human construct. Why do the alpha males in a pack of wolves need every female? They don't, but they want it so they take it.
1. just because it always has been, does it mean it never will be? just because we didnt walk on moon for millions of years, did it mean we never would?

2. there is a difference between humans and animals isnt there?

someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
well there is the need to satisfy ur boredem for example. but there i dont see why u need say 5 working computers if u can only handle one at a time
I have two working computers, but they are for different things. My desktop is used just about only for games, while my laptop is used for everything else. Obviously I could make due with only one, or even without any at all, but having two makes my life much, much, much easier.
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Exactly, what I find quite funny about this conversation is that in less than a month I will be living what Gay Ork is advocating. I am going hitchhiking with a friend for the summer with a backpack of clothes and MAYBE 50 dollars. She has a tent, her clothes, and MAYBE 50 dollars.

Gay Ork, you are advocating living with only the bear necessities, so quit arguing for it and go out and live it. When you come back see if thats still how you think life should be.
i do not by no means advocat that. you must misunderstand my point

Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Quote:
that's what you've got your ho and friends for, to handle boredom. If we're talking purely on a basis of need that's all you need to beat boredom. Now if you're going to acknowledge that man needs more interactive or extensive means to combating boredom you're leaving the basic needs and moving into an area where you're talking about luxuries, and if you're going to accept one luxury it is hypocritical to argue against other luxuries. Luxury is excess, thus luxuries get abused and man's innate hunger for more takes hold.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
I have two working computers, but they are for different things. My desktop is used just about only for games, while my laptop is used for everything else. Obviously I could make due with only one, or even without any at all, but having two makes my life much, much, much easier.
then thats what u need. its not more than what you need. so ur not being greedy :/

Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
1. just because it always has been, does it mean it never will be? just because we didnt walk on moon for millions of years, did it mean we never would?

2. there is a difference between humans and animals isnt there?
1. Technology is completely different than changing basic human nature.

2. Not really, we are just the smartest animal alive today. Had we lived during the time of the dinosaurs, it is likely we would not rule the world like we do now. We are just the dinosaurs of our age, the animals on the top of the world.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

im out, ill be back in a couple of hours continue discussing ;)