Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Final 53 Man Roster Predictions

I have finals week coming up and I am bored right now from studying for my 4PM final tomorrow, so I just decided to make this. Let's see some predictions!

QB: Tom Brady, Kevin O'Connell, Matt Gutierrez
RB: Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis
WR: Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Joey Galloway, Brandon Tate, Greg Lewis, Matt Slater
TE: Ben Watson, Alex Smith, Chris Baker, David Thomas (FB/TE)
OT: Matt Light, Nick Kaczur, Sebastian Vollmer
OG: Logan Mankins, Steve Neal, Russ Hochstein, Rich Ohrnerberger
C: Dan Koppen, Al Johnson

DE: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, LeKevin Smith
NT: Vince Wilfork, Ron Brace, Mike Wright
OLB: Adailus Thomas, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Tully Banta-Cain
ILB: Jerod Mayo, Tedy Bruschi, Tyrone McKenzie, Gary Guyton
CB: Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrance Wheatley
S: Brandon Meriweather, Patrick Chung, James Sanders

K: Stephen Gostkowski
P: Chris Hanson
LS: Jacob Ingram

Notable Omissions (Possible PS Guys): QB Brian Hoyer, WR Sam Aiken, WR Julian Edelman, OL Ryan O'Callaghan, OL Wesley Britt, OL George Bussey, OL Jermail Porter, OL Mark Levoir, DL Titus Adams, DL Myron Pryor, DL Darryl Richard, LB Vince Redd, LB Eric Alexander, LB Antonio Appelby, DB Tank Williams, DB Mike Richardson, DB Marcus McClinton, DB Ray Ventrone

The last cut for me came down to Tank Williams vs, BJGE, and I had Tank go. Those guys that got cut all have PS potential.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 AM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're close. Obviously injuries will unfortunately change things a bit.

I would make two changes immediately. One is Tank Williams over BJGE. He will be a key player in our sub packages. The PATS offense will be clicking and teams will have to throw against us, so three S packages will be key and Williams will play ILB in some packages as well. The other is O'Callaghan over Tate. Tate will be on the PUP/IR list. They will do this so it will give some of the newcomers a chance to get up to speed before they take over for some of the Vets and move from the practice squad.

I'm not sure TBC will beat out Redd. LeKevin Smith might also be the one to lose out.

4 TE's is the only glaring thing number wise which stands out as a question.

Good job. It's fun doing this isn't it?
bhyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never got the excitement over Tank Williams. Vince Redd is more likely to make the team. Doubt they go in with 4 TEs. They need Eric Alexander out there on ST.

You know, 100% for sure, that all those rookies that aren't likely to contribute this year and wouldn't last on the PS are going to end up on IR, so you might as well just stick them there now.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see Vince Redd not making the team. It's an extremely small sample size, but he looked good in spot duty last year. He'll be IR'ed or PUP'ed with some shotty injury if doesn't, because there's no way in hell someone wouldn't snap him up if he ended up on the practice squad.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would want nothing more than for Redd to make it over TBC, but I could see Tully getting the nod over Redd because the staff likes Tully. If Redd improved a lot over the offseason and knows the system, he could be a real player for us next season. He is very big with scary athleticism, we need a pass rusher like him to step up if we want to win it all this year.

byhg, I gave us 4 TE's because we really don't have a FB on the roster. Word is David Thomas will be seeing snaps there.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have we signed Rodney back yet? I haven't heard/read anything anywhere, and I really doubt that he comes back, I think he is just too old and beat up to do it.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I heard/read was that he's still deciding what to do.
Whether to retire or come back for another season.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Rodney is pretty much done on the field, but I would LOVE to have him involved with the team in one way or another. I know he wanted to get into refereeing, but if we could retain him as an assistant coach (DB or special teams) I think he would be great. He would bring that relative youth, fire, and enthusiasm that helps connect with younger players and bring out their best since they would be comfortable with him.

Even if Rodney is still on the roster he could be a valuable mentor, he is just a guy we should really try to keep around the organization.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bhyg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I would want nothing more than for Redd to make it over TBC, but I could see Tully getting the nod over Redd because the staff likes Tully. If Redd improved a lot over the offseason and knows the system, he could be a real player for us next season. He is very big with scary athleticism, we need a pass rusher like him to step up if we want to win it all this year.

byhg, I gave us 4 TE's because we really don't have a FB on the roster. Word is David Thomas will be seeing snaps there.
If Thomas can blocak in open space and on the move I can see it. Otherwise I'd rather see Hochstein there. TCB can play on special teams and rush the passer. If Redd can do those things and has more upside then they will keep him IMHO. I think they are real high on Crable who made huge jumps at the end of his college career.

I think BB took a step back in trading Vrabel because he felt that he'd be taking two steps forward down the road by keeping the young guys.

I forgot to mention...I think you'll have to add Jason Taylor. Just my opinion. I've thought this since the moment I found out he had been cut. Who's place does he take? I love this talk!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 AM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Not sure they keep 4 TEs, Thomas may go.

I think Bruschi retires, he's what, 36? He looked very slow last year.

Redd I don't think gets cut. Can he even be on the PS or did he play too much last year?
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** Tyrone Mckenzie is done for the season

I'm a sad panda now :(

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Redd or Appleby must step up. Alexander as a long shot, unless he makes it based on ST prowess.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guyton has a real good shot of starting for us now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something like this: (I predict Watson gets traded and we re-sign Harrison)

QB - Brady, O'Connell, Hoyer
RB - Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Faulk
WR - Moss, Welker, Galloway, Tate, Lewis, Edelman
TE - A. Smith, Baker
OT - Light, Kaczur, Vollmer, O'Callaghan
OG - Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Ohrnberger
C - Koppen, Johnson

DE - Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright
NT - Wilfork, Brace, Pryor
OLB - Thomas, Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain, Redd
ILB - Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Alexander
CB - Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler
S - Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Harrison

K - Gostkowski
P - Hanson
LS - Ingram
Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

The list looks good but just a few things:

-I think David Thomas will stay since we don't have a FB and he is getting reps there. I'm not a huge fan of his, he hasn't done much since his rookie year, but we don't have a fullback and I think he could be servicable as a TE/FB/H-Back type. He isn't the biggest guy and he makes some mistakes, but he is tough and is a willing blocker despite his size. He could be a solid blocker out of the backfield in my opinion.

-With the Alex Smith addition, I would not be suprised to see Watson moved either. He is a FA next year if I remember correctly.

-We are going to need at least one of Aiken/Slater to be on the roster for special teams, but I don't know what Aiken's deal is. We haven't seen much of Edelman, but I would have to give the edge to Slater over Aiken and Edelman because of his versatility and special teams ability. He made some mistakes as a rookie but don't write him off yet; he seems like a great fit here because of his willingness to play wherever the coaches want him whether it be offense, defense, or on any special teams unit.

-If it comes down to Gutierrez vs. Hoyer it will be a tough battle for the third QB spot, but I would give Gutierrez the edge because he has more tools and a season with us under his belt.

-The staff like Mike Richardson I think, he is a good special teamer and could play corner for us. It is a numbers game though and we have some depth at corner now.

-I would be happy if Rodney comes mostly because of his leadership, I just don't know how much he has left in the tank. He had a pretty bad injury last year that some saw as career ending and it's tough to recover from that at his age.

-If BJGE gets cut I hope we keep him on the practice squad because he would be a great short yardgae back for us, especailly if you consider how fragile all the backs on our roster are.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

My early prediction is as follows:

(3) QB: BRADY, O'CONNELL, GUTIERREZ
(4) RB: MARONEY, TAYLOR, FAULK, MORRIS
(6) WR: MOSS, WELKER, GALLOWAY, LEWIS, SLATER, EDELMAN
(4) TE: WATSON, THOMAS, BAKER, SMITH
(9) OL: LIGHT, MANKINS, KOPPEN, NEAL, KACZUR, O'CALLAGHAN, VOLLMER, HOCHSTEIN, OHRNBERGER
(3) SP. T: GOSTKOWSKI, HANSON, INGRAM
(6) DL: WARREN, WILFORK, SEYMOUR, GREEN, BRACE, WRIGHT
(5) OLB: THOMAS, WOODS, CRABLE, REDD
(4) ILB: MAYO, BRUSCHI, GUYTON, PARIS LENNON, TANK WILLIAMS
(4) S: MERRIWEATHER, SANDERS, CHUNG, McGOWAN
(5) CB: BODDEN, SPRINGS, WHEATLEY, BUTLER, WILHITE

There are always suprises. Who makes the team because of Special Teams play....I think McGowan beats out Banta Cain. Slater makes it. All others on the team have a role or developmental value that is too great to try to slip them onto the PS (or they aren't elig. for the practice squad).

I think Williams will be used more as an ILB. I think we will sign Taylor. If we need another ILB we will sign SEAU during the season.

They keep 4 TE because at least two play special teams. I also think they might use Watson on Special Teams more.

Tate will be on th PUP/IR along with McKenzie.

Last cuts...Yates, Sphann, Aiken, Richardson, BJGE, LeKevin Smith, Ventrone, Banta-Cain

Yates may make the team if they think they can slip Ohrnberer onto the PS

Well there you have it IMHO

Last edited by bhyg : 07-19-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB: Brady, O'Connell, Gutierrez
RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor, Green-Ellis
TE: Watson, Baker, Smith
WR: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Aiken, Slater
OT: Light, Kaczur, Britt, Vollmer
OG: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein (C)
OC: Koppen, Connolly (G)

DE: Seymour, Warren, Wright (NT), Green (NT)
NT: Wilfork, Brace (DE)
OLB: Thomas (ILB), Woods, Banta-Cain, Crable, Redd
ILB: Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Alexander, Ciurciu (ST)
CB: Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs, Bodden
S: Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Ventrone

K: Gostkowski
P: Hanson
LS: Ingram

PUP/IR/PS: McKenzie, Tate, O'Callaghan, Spann, LK Smith, Adams, Richardson, Harrison, Appleby, Craig, Pryor, Richard, Levoir, Bussey, O'Callaghan, Porter, Yates, Ohrnberger, Wendell, Johnson, Thomas, Devree, White, Kettani, Edelman, Hoyer

Last edited by nepg : 05-08-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

An addition to the my prediction.

If they need another safety they will sign Harrison and Porter will be on the PS
Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
QB: Brady, O'Connell, Gutierrez
RB: Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Taylor, Green-Ellis
TE: Watson, Baker, Smith
WR: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Washington, Aiken
OT: Light, Kaczur, Britt, Vollmer
OG: Mankins, Neal, Hochstein (C)
OC: Koppen, Connolly (G)

DE: Seymour, Warren, Wright (NT), Green (NT)
NT: Wilfork, Brace (DE)
OLB: Thomas (ILB), Woods, Banta-Cain, Crable, Redd
ILB: Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Ciurciu (ST)
CB: Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs, Bodden
S: Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Slater (WR/ST)

K: Gostkowski
P: Malone
LS: Ingram

PUP/IR/PS: McKenzie, Tate, O'Callaghan, Ventrone, Spann, LK Smith, Adams, Richardson, Harrison, Alexander, Appleby, Craig, Pryor, Richard, Levoir, Bussey, O'Callaghan, Porter, Yates, Ohrnberger, Wendell, Johnson, Thomas, Devree, White, Kettani, Edelman, Hoyer

Washington was cut a long time ago. Malone was cut earlier this week
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB; Tom Brady, Kevin O'Connell, Matt Guttierez

RB; Laurence Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk

FB; Eric Kettani

TE; Ben Watson, Alex Smith, Chris Baker

WR; Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Joey Galloway, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken

OT; Matt Light, Nick Kazcur, Sebastian Vollmer, Ryan O'Callaghan

OG; Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal, Russ Hochstein

OC; Dan Koppen

DE; Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green,

NT; Vince Wilfork, Ron Brace, Mike Wright

OLB; Adalius Thomas, Shawn Crable, Vince Redd, Pierre Woods, Tully Banta-Cain

ILB; Jerod Mayo, Tedi Bruschi, Gary Guyton, Eric Alexander

CB; Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Jonathon Wilhite, Mike Richardson

S; Brandon Merriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Tank Williams, Brandon McGowan

K; Stephen Gostkowski
P; Chris Hansen
LS; Jake Ingram

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

We have had some serious injuries in the secondary lately but I doubt we'll have that many DB's on the active roster. You're right though because we will probably go through that many DB's by week 6 with our injury luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyg View Post
Washington was cut a long time ago. Malone was cut earlier this week
Forgot about Washington being cut, didn't know Malone was (they'll bring him back at some point). Fixed it.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post

-With the Alex Smith addition, I would not be suprised to see Watson moved either. He is a FA next year if I remember correctly.
The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that we didn't move him already. Wouldn't be surprised to see if he went soon. Might be smart too. Smith as good as a receiver due to his ability to actually catch footballs and if vastly better as a blocker. If we can get anything for Watson, might make sense to help us carry an extra defensive player.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Watson does too much to just move the guy, and he's still pretty cheap for what he can do. They wouldn't get enough for him to warrant trading him. Dave Thomas is more likely to be cut as he's always injured and, as a result, isn't much more than a special teams player when he's able to get on the field.

Watson's become a good blocker, and he's a nice target in the back of the end zone. They don't run enough plays to get him the ball in space (screens, flats). They send him downfield too much...his real strength is when he's got the ball in his hands and someone has to try to tackle him. I just remember that insane catch & run he had against the Jaguars in the playoffs a few years ago...they never run plays like that for him. It's mind-boggling.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's hard to give a tight end a clean release like that if they're lined up on the line of scrimmage. We've tried splitting him out wide and that hasn't really worked out too well. Maybe a few more dump off passes would do him some good but Watson always needed a bit of room to get going to full speed. We also run plenty of underneath stuff for him but Brady/Cassel never really seemed to have much confidence throwing to him. I wouldn't either given his history with the drops. Why throw the ball to Ben Watson who might not catch it when you're sure Wes Welker will?

R.I.P. Junior Seau