Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-08-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't Watson sees the ball very well after a certain distance - I don't think it has that much to do with his hands... I think swing passes are the best way to utilize him in non-goalline situations.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, he's not a very natural receiver. Good athlete, not a very natural pass catcher. Sort of sucks it's that simple but I think it is.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya, it's unfortunate. I think Chris Baker blows up this year. He was truly mis-used and under-utilized in New York.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem Watson has that worries me most is the drops AFTER catching the ball. If he was dropping them for incomplete passes that would be one thing but how many costly fumbles has he had without even any contact?

In his defense, his numbers really dropped last season but with the exception of a couple games where they seemed to throw a lot to him, the TE position overall was not used much in the passing game last year compared to previous seasons.

I think he has some skills, just as you said not a natural pass catcher. I don't think he should just be released though or even traded.

With the inevitable injuries they'll need to keep as many TE's around as possible, at least until the season is underway.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think they'll be many injury problems with tight ends this year. Smith and Baker are pretty durable. I honestly think we're a better team with a combination of them on the field than with Watson out there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
JLaw45
Rookie

JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.JLaw45 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
FB; Eric Kettani
Won't Kettani's Naval committment prevent him from playing this year? I heard 2011 was the earliest that he'd be able to make an NFL team.
JLaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
Won't Kettani's Naval committment prevent him from playing this year? I heard 2011 was the earliest that he'd be able to make an NFL team.
Kyle Eckel is still around, so I think it really depends.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

If the Navy dudes get a chance to make the team. If they succeed, their commitment is put-off until they're able to fulfill it. Army is a bit different.

I'm far more excited about Shun White than Kettani. White has legitimate skills running the ball.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...PHeTQD97VNT381

All these issues with the Military Institutions are really starting to confuse me. We signed Kettani, White, and Barnes from Navy. This article states they still have a military commitment ahead of them. So what is the deal here? Are they going to have to serve? If so do the Pats throw Kettani on the Practice Squad and look for a roster exemption?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

They have a military commitment, but if they make an NFL roster, they can put the commitment off until they're no longer in the NFL. They can do a number of different things in order to fulfill that commitment (recruiting, for one).
Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just thought it would be good to see how everyone's updated predictions look now just 3 weeks to week 1

QB;

Brady, Walter, O'Connell

RB;

Morris, Maroney, Taylor, Faulk

TE;

Baker, Thomas, Smith, Watson

WR;

Moss, Welker, Lewis, Galloway, Edelman, Nunn, Slater(S/ST), Aiken

OL;

Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer, Kaczur, Ohrnberger, Hochstein, O'Callaghan

DL;

Seymour, Wilfork, Green, Warren, Brace, Wright, Pryor

OLB;

Thomas, Crable, Woods, Burgess

ILB;

Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi

CB;

Bodden, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs, Butler

S;

Merriweather, Sanders, Chung

K;

Gostkowski

P;

Hanson

LS;

Ingram

A few things of note here-

1. Ben Watson gets in over BenJarvus Green Ellis because I think David Thomas will play a lot of full back/H-back type stuff this year meaning an extra TE may be needed, although with his offseason he should be shown the door.

2. Through training camp, Julian Edelman has nailed on his roster spot and close behind is Terrence Nunn who has really come out of nowhere.

3. Hopefully there will be enough of a rush from AD, Burgess, Crable and Woods that there is no need for carrying an extra body in TBC.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Just thought it would be good to see how everyone's updated predictions look now just 3 weeks to week 1

QB;

Brady, Walter, O'Connell

RB;

Morris, Maroney, Taylor, Faulk, BJGE

TE;

Baker, Thomas, Smith, Watson

WR;

OL;

Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer, Kaczur, Ohrnberger, Hochstein, O'Callaghan

DL;

Seymour, Wilfork, Green, Warren, Brace, Wright, Pryor

OLB;

ILB;

Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi

CB;

S;

Merriweather, Sanders, Chung

K;

Gostkowski

P;

Hanson

LS;

Ingram

A few things of note here-

1. Ben Watson gets in over BenJarvus Green Ellis because I think David Thomas will play a lot of full back/H-back type stuff this year meaning an extra TE may be needed, although with his offseason he should be shown the door.

2. Through training camp, Julian Edelman has nailed on his roster spot and close behind is Terrence Nunn who has really come out of nowhere.

3. Hopefully there will be enough of a rush from AD, Burgess, Crable and Woods that there is no need for carrying an extra body in TBC.
I think that Smith gets axed, he has not impressed me thus far, while BJGE has, excluding the fumble last night.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TE:
I think we see a fight for the #3 TE spot between Smith & Watson. OMFG did Smith wiff on a blitz for a sack. Hoyer got killed b/c of him and that's the type of play that gets a guy cut. However, without seeing anything of Watson it's tough to say he will make it instead of Smith. I highly doubt we keep 4, but it's a tough call b/c of Thomas' H-back role.

RB:
Maroney could be the odd man out, but I doubt it. Taylor looked old and relatively slow. Morris is old and hasn't seen any action. BJGE looked solid but it's important to remember he was playing the 3rd stringers. I still see no way we cut Maroney due to his age and low cost. But I would be shocked if we carry 5 RBs so I'm thinking Morris may be heading for the injury/pup games BB loves to play. Personally, after watching Taylor miss an inside blitz pickup and being duly unimpressed with the old boy - don't be shocked if he's the one cut.

OT:
Boy were we right in begging for an immediate upgrade at RT. Nick not only got burned on the speed rush - barely even getting a hand on Geathers on his way to crushing Brady - but he was also pushed around by power several times. Having your RT 2 yards deep in pass pro is not a good thing.

QB:
I'm not sure what is going on with Walter but he needs to get some action in soon or he'll be out before ever dressing in a Pats uni. Hoyer looked very impressive with his reads, accuracy and overall command of the spread offense. A rookie FA signing . . . he sure didn't look it last night. Again, I know it's preseason & 3rd string players, but so is he. Avoiding sacks (throwing on 1st down in your own endzone??) and feeling pressure, making good decisions and great looking arm strength & accuracy make a great impression.

WR:
Similar to RB, the old vet added in the offseason is not impressing me. Galloway has had a 2 game case of the dropsies and has not looked at all like the speed burner he used to be. Nunn made enough plays last night to secure a spot, imo. Not that my opinion matters, however, so who knows if he makes the team. Same thing applies - playing against 3rd stringers . . .

CB:
Damn, damn and damn did Butler look great. He'll be starting game one opposite Bodden regardless of the current depth chart. Wilhite has looked good, Wheatley has not. Still, I like our depth there now. With no Springs so far it's tough to say what the final cuts will be at the CB spot.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 08-21-2009 at 09:27 AM.
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor looked good to me last night, not the greatest run blocking performance last night though. I know that BJGE was facing 3rd stringers and fumbled, but he has performed well in the regualr season when he has been asked to. He may not be the most explosive guy, but he does what Maroney (and I am a big defender of Maroney still) does not, and that is hit the hole going north-south rather than east-west.

That (non) block by Smith last night made me both laugh, and get upset. He very clearly was confused, having inside gap before outside gap, as is the case for most pass blocking schemes. You could see him turn to look at the safety blitzing, then turn back inside. It kind of makes me laugh because I remember being in a new offense and being that confused at first, but it also made me upset because that is just terrible. He has alot of work to do, but he may yet make the team.

I believe Walter played in the first game not Hoyer, correct?

Butler, Wilhite, and Bodden have looked very good thus far. Springs looked ok, had that huge wiff on I believe Benson in the 1st quarter. Wheatley has looked bad.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know on Walter. I was watching that 1st game at a buddy's house & he had just set up his new system w/52 inch Samsung & PS3. At half time we fired up Soul Calibur and w/5 people passing the remotes we never quite made it back to the second half.

I'm with you on BJGE. I hope they keep him but I'm not going to be thrilled about cutting Maroney to do so. That may very well happen at this point, however. What's up with Morris? Did he sit out last night b/c he's banged up or just b/c BB knows what he brings to the table?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

He was listed on the injury list, but teams don't have to specify injuries in TC. More than likely, he's a little banged up, but since he's older, and as you said they know what he brings, they want to sit him unless he's 100% in TC and pre-season.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

That's what I figured since there was no mention of injury in any reports I receive via email. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB;

Brady, Walter, Hoyer

RB;

Morris, Taylor, Faulk, BJGE

TE;

Baker, Thomas, Smith,

WR;

OL;

Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Vollmer, Kaczur, Ohrnberger, O'Callaghan,

DL;

Seymour, Wilfork, Green, Warren, Brace, Wright, Pryor,

OLB;

ILB;

Mayo, Guyton, Lenon, Alexander

CB;

S;

Merriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan

K;

Gostkowski

P;

Hanson

LS;

Ingram
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watson AND Maroney getting cut? I doubt that. Walters is gone too sooooo... I wonder if we'll pick up another QB some time down the road

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:18 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was rumours of a trade with the Eagles for Feeley. I think they were interested in one of the tight ends. At the minute it looks as though the coaching staff likes Hoyer enough to make him the number 2. I think that may be a bit risky though because despite how well he has looked in camp and the preseason he is still only a rookie

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Philly wanted Alex Smith, and they'll get him for free. Thinking the Pats get Feeley for free as well.