Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagy34 View Post
Gerhart is a giant no. He's a big, bruising, between the tackles type guy and that's not what we need if Chester leaves. I already said I'd be on board with a guy like Spiller assuming there's no option at QB for us. That being said RB would be a HUGE luxury in round one and I'd prefer we look the defensive side of the ball if there isn't an option at QB.
Gerhart fits into any system. Chester goes between the tackles more effectively than outside imo. Spiller ain't falling to us. Gerhart would allow us to absolutely batter teams.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we take a chance on Jimmy Graham from Miami. He is a 6'8 260 lb TE that is in his first year of college football after playing power forward on Miami's basketball team.

He has every tool in the book physically. Guy got better every single game Miami played and could potentially be an impact tight end in the NFL if he can shore up his blocking and route running.

Maybe the 4th or 5th round. Shiancoe will probably not be worth his next contract and I'd love to take care of that position.

Round 1 is definitely going to be a safety through and through. I am wondering if Childress is willing to try to develop another rookie QB, if we explore something via trade or FA instead.

Round 2, I am guessing, will be a running back, outside linebacker, or possibly even another safety. I'm not willing to give up on Tyrell Johnson just yet. He shows flashes of being a good NFL safety.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With EJ injury possibly carrer ending, and just his overall injury issues, I would think that LB should be addressed in the round 1 or 2.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
With EJ injury possibly carrer ending, and just his overall injury issues, I would think that LB should be addressed in the round 1 or 2.
Let's wait and see how Jasper Brinkley plays. His skillset matches up very well with our defensive system.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM    (permalink
BGB
Rookie

BGB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BGB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Let's wait and see how Jasper Brinkley plays. His skillset matches up very well with our defensive system.

Doesn't our defensive system ask our MLB to drop back in coverage quite a bit? If so I'm not sure Brinkley fits that mold.
BGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGB View Post
Doesn't our defensive system ask our MLB to drop back in coverage quite a bit? If so I'm not sure Brinkley fits that mold.
On nickel and dime downs, yes, but Ben Leber can play that spot like he did last year when Henderson went down. Brinkley is only going to be in on the base defense, and our scheme with Pat Williams on his game lets the linebackers roam free.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
BGB
Rookie

BGB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BGB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
On nickel and dime downs, yes, but Ben Leber can play that spot like he did last year when Henderson went down. Brinkley is only going to be in on the base defense, and our scheme with Pat Williams on his game lets the linebackers roam free.
I'd rather our MLB be on the field at all times and be one of the leaders of the defense. If the stud MLB from Alabama fell to us in the draft I'd love it if we swooped him up.
BGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Ryan Mallett late in the first round, or Tony Pike in the second round. Terrence Cody to replace Pat Williams in the future if he's there. Greg Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Greg Romeus, and Carlos Dunlap. One of them should be there.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Ryan Mallett late in the first round, or Tony Pike in the second round. Terrence Cody to replace Pat Williams in the future if he's there. Greg Hardy, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Greg Romeus, and Carlos Dunlap. One of them should be there.
I'm starting to finally agree with the people who give the Vikings Ryan Mallet. Especially if he comes out. I'm thinking that he will come out now that Jake Locker is not going to. I would be happy as a hoe with a bag of wieners if we drafted Mallett.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ryan Mallet seems to be over hyped right now from him being a big time recruit and being 6'8 with a rocket arm. It's still really early in the process but I am not crazy about a guy with accuracy issues for the WCO. Right now I am not too excited about any of the QB options the Vikes will have where they will be picking.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
I'm starting to finally agree with the people who give the Vikings Ryan Mallet. Especially if he comes out. I'm thinking that he will come out now that Jake Locker is not going to. I would be happy as a hoe with a bag of wieners if we drafted Mallett.
I'm the same way. I was against Mallett big time before, but he grew on me, and I would be quite happy with taking him in the first.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
Ryan Mallet seems to be over hyped right now from him being a big time recruit and being 6'8 with a rocket arm. It's still really early in the process but I am not crazy about a guy with accuracy issues for the WCO. Right now I am not too excited about any of the QB options the Vikes will have where they will be picking.
You're right. But unless we trade up into the top 10, which would cost us two first round picks, then we aren't getting anyone that's any better. It's Colt McCoy or Ryan Mallet.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
You're right. But unless we trade up into the top 10, which would cost us two first round picks, then we aren't getting anyone that's any better. It's Colt McCoy or Ryan Mallet.
that is definitely what it looks like. Mallett has all the talent and tools, and his accuracy improved throughout the season. Favre would be the perfect guy to learn from too. Brett was/is a strong armed QB who had accuracy issues in college.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29

Well thats fine too just because they need a QB doesn't mean they absolutly have to get a QB in the first round this year. If someone good like Bradford drops within reach of a trade pull the trigger. If not focus on taking the BPA, there are going to be a lot options I could see them taking this year. Like I said it's still early but I could potentially see any one of QB, S, DT, DE, CB, LB, or maybe even RB.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be kind of excited by Colt McCoy in the mid 2nd round, possibly even early 2nd. I think he would be a pretty perfect fit in our system, give him a year or 2 to develop. His accuracy at Texas has just been ridiculous.

The draft is interesting, I think if one of the top 3 DTs is available we have to take a long look at them, Cody replaces Pat pretty well. Suh or McCoy next to Kwill would just be stupid sick and highly unlikely I know.

Safety is interesting, it is an obvious need but I don't like the value there, Mays and Berry will be long gone, and really, Mays is not what we need anyway.

Cornerback is certainly an option, Patrick Robinson has a solid chance of being there still and I really like him for us opposite Winfield with the idea to eventually replace. If Haden were to slip for some reason, we should jump all over him also.

Gresham at TE is also certainly an option imo. Though TE remains a position you can fill in late rounds for now and I'm not sure the top round guys give enough added value.

If someone like McClain fell we would be stupid to let him go.

I like Spiller or Best next to AP also and could create a scary combination.

DE is also a chance, should be a pretty deep draft and we could certainly use a bit better player at RE.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Kafka as a mid round QB for the vikings. He is a game much in the mold of Farve/Romo who would fit the scheme. Just throwing the name out there...you guys should check him out...he is a much better fit for your system than Mallett or McCoy

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I'd be kind of excited by Colt McCoy in the mid 2nd round, possibly even early 2nd. I think he would be a pretty perfect fit in our system, give him a year or 2 to develop. His accuracy at Texas has just been ridiculous.
Yea I wouldn't be real excited either but I wouldn't mind at all if they took McCoy because he seems to be a very good fit for the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia
The draft is interesting, I think if one of the top 3 DTs is available we have to take a long look at them, Cody replaces Pat pretty well. Suh or McCoy next to Kwill would just be stupid sick and highly unlikely I know.
Don't think they will have any shot a MT Cody I think a 3-4 team picks him up long before the Vikes pick. The guy I am liking is Dan Williams from Tennessee he should be around when the Vikes pick. I think he would be a great replacement for Pat that will help maintain our Rush D dominance.

Quote:
Safety is interesting, it is an obvious need but I don't like the value there, Mays and Berry will be long gone, and really, Mays is not what we need anyway.

Cornerback is certainly an option, Patrick Robinson has a solid chance of being there still and I really like him for us opposite Winfield with the idea to eventually replace. If Haden were to slip for some reason, we should jump all over him also.
I think CB could Pretty much kill 2 birds(winfield replacement, Safety) with 1 stone. If there is a good CB available they can draft him plug him in across from Cedric Griffin and move Winfield back to strong safety. So CB is most definatly a possibility IMO.

Quote:
I like Spiller or Best next to AP also and could create a scary combination.
The only RB I like in round 1 for the Vikes is CJ Spiller. Although he most likely to be gone by when the Vikes pick but you never know.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
BlueBandit24
Rookie

BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.

I have to agree with those who say that safety is our most pressing need at this point. I am not sure what happened to Madieu Williams, but his play has tailed off considerably; Johnson's shown some flashes but has been overall inconsistent. I would love to see a solid two-way safety who can hold his own coverage but is also a willing tackler - the tackling by our safety duo has been pretty embarrassing.

Plenty of other needs: QB is obvious; we could use some DT depth behind Pat Williams but I am alright with Kennedy and Evans at this point; a versatile back to replace Chester would be nice but more of a luxury, and there are plenty of other positions (OLB, CB, OT) that we could use some depth/talent at.

I feel as though the 2010 draft is going to be an exciting one because the Vikings can go so many different directions.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Joe Mcknight comes out I would love to take him in the later rounds. I see safety as a huge need but I don't really know who will be there when we pick. I think BPA is the best way to go in the first this year.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we need a safety and a quarterback asap. thats first priority. i am a huge fan of dan williams, but i doubt he will fall to us. otherwise safety or quarterback need to be addressed first. if ray comes back, de isnt really a need, but could be addressed in the late rounds. a running back who can catch the ball out of the back field is also a need that we should fill in the first four rounds.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
we need a safety and a quarterback asap. thats first priority. i am a huge fan of dan williams, but i doubt he will fall to us. otherwise safety or quarterback need to be addressed first. if ray comes back, de isnt really a need, but could be addressed in the late rounds. a running back who can catch the ball out of the back field is also a need that we should fill in the first four rounds.
It's still extraordinarly early in the process but Safety and QB doesn't look like it will have good Value where the Vikes will be picking in RD1. If a couple of JR DT's declare(Marvin Austin & Brian Price) that will be the position of need with the best value. I like Dan Williams, Marvin Austin, and Brian Price for the Vikes in round 1 if they are gone trade down pickup a safety. There are couple of safeties I love in mid round 2 Nate Allen, and Reshad Jones.

Ideally for me right now the draft would look like this
1.Dan Williams/Marvin Austin/Brian Price
2.(trade up) Reshad Jones/Nate Allen
3.G/C prospect

I think a Vikes need flying under the radar is Interior Linemen. Sullivan has done decently well in Pass protection and is good at pulling but he just doesn't get a good push in the run game so it wouldn't be a bad Idea to get somone to compete with him. Herrara has been pretty mediocre so far this year, and could use someone to push him aswell. Also Hicks and Cook are both free agents and while they may re-sign hicks I don't see cook getting re-signed. So getting a young guy who can provide some Interior depth and push Sullivan & Herrara is a priority IMO.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Greg Hardy
2. Tony Pike
3. Best available DB,RG or C
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
1. Greg Hardy
2. Tony Pike
3. Best available DB,RG or C
1. 1st round DE??? No thanks, I'd be fine with letting Robison assume our LDE spot if we let Edwards go.
2. I'd also pass on Pike as he definitely looks to be a system type of QB.
3. Sullivan's been fine for the most part and I don't think I'd be looking to replace him yet.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Colt McCoy > Tony Pike in the 2nd round

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
BlueBandit24
Rookie

BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.BlueBandit24 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's still extraordinarly early in the process but Safety and QB doesn't look like it will have good Value where the Vikes will be picking in RD1. If a couple of JR DT's declare(Marvin Austin & Brian Price) that will be the position of need with the best value. I like Dan Williams, Marvin Austin, and Brian Price for the Vikes in round 1 if they are gone trade down pickup a safety. There are couple of safeties I love in mid round 2 Nate Allen, and Reshad Jones.
It looks like Price declared today...I agree that DT should be well-stocked towards the end of Round 1, though new needs are popping up every day.