Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I'm not saying at all that we look past SS in the draft, but it is not the pressing need that many made it out to be. We can survive with Rouse-Phillips-Johnson and a rookie. Every year I make my own real-time draft picks when the Giants are on the clock (without the luxury of waiting to see who falls and who doesn't) just to compare how I would do against Reese. Two of my picks this past year were Rashad Johnson (Alabama drafted by ARI) and Victor 'Macho' Harris (Va Tech drafted by PHI). Harris would be the best safety on our team right now and Johnson impressed me in preseason. Just saying...would be nice to have one of those guys let alone both right now.

BBD in re:Goff...My DVR got messed up so I don't have a tape of the game, just the memory of watching in real time. He played well, certainly well enough to keep the starting job. The thing that stood out the most was the physicality in taking on blocks. He really delivered a blow to some strong blockers and we are used to Pierce playing soft in that department. Goff plays hard, plays strong, plays aggressive. That can make up for a lot. I want to see him play better in coverage though, as I think he may be even worse than AP and we simply can't have that. Doesn't seem comfortable when dropping into his zone, looks a little hesitant and unsure but I guess that is expected. But he isn't a natural mover when he is going backward and that is going to be exploited this week and against the teams we will need to beat in January if we make the playoffs.
gotcha, I still think that if Rouse doesn't keep playing phenominally through the end of the year that it would be worth adding another stud at the safety position, partially as cover for Kenny and also because we've seen how two great safeties can open up your defense for you.

I liked Johnson a lot in last years draft, Macho not so much, he seemed like a pure cover-2 corner to me, but Johnson is a guy who had a great sense for the ball and instincts that really impressed me.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
gotcha, I still think that if Rouse doesn't keep playing phenominally through the end of the year that it would be worth adding another stud at the safety position, partially as cover for Kenny and also because we've seen how two great safeties can open up your defense for you.

I liked Johnson a lot in last years draft, Macho not so much, he seemed like a pure cover-2 corner to me, but Johnson is a guy who had a great sense for the ball and instincts that really impressed me.
Harris has been playing a great safety this year. He completely locked up Tony Gonzalez this past week, very versatile DB that tackles well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Harris has been playing a great safety this year. He completely locked up Tony Gonzalez this past week, very versatile DB that tackles well.
So what are your thought on this safety class? I'm a major wright fan and think both Reshad Jones and Nate Allen could be high caliber starters. Not so sure on the rest of the class.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
So what are your thought on this safety class? I'm a major wright fan and think both Reshad Jones and Nate Allen could be high caliber starters. Not so sure on the rest of the class.
I'll be watching a lot of game tapes I haven't seen yet this season. Off the top of my head Allen is the only first round caliber safety in this class (excluding the underclassmen that have yet to declare). But even he brings concerns to the table that would be exploited in our defense. I think the best route to take will be to wait until round 3 or 4 when it comes to safety.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Last edited by Scott Wright : 12-10-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I take it neither of you guys are high on Taylor Mays?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll be watching a lot of game tapes I haven't seen yet this season. Off the top of my head Allen is the only first round caliber safety in this class (excluding the underclassmen that have yet to declare). But even he brings concerns to the table that would be exploited in our defense. I think the best route to take will be to wait until round 3 or 4 when it comes to safety.
ew, absolutely not. Allen is awful. Not worthy of until our 2nd rounder. He's so unbelievably over-hyped it's absurd. Every time I watched him he's getting toasted. Mays is the top guy, and Jones is a guy with nice potential but I'm not sure he's deserving of our 1st rounder. I think we grab a DT round 1 and I LOVE Matt Tennant, center from BC in round 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Last edited by Scott Wright : 12-10-2009 at 09:36 AM.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
ew, absolutely not. Allen is awful. Not worthy of until our 2nd rounder. He's so unbelievably over-hyped it's absurd. Every time I watched him he's getting toasted. Mays is the top guy, and Jones is a guy with nice potential but I'm not sure he's deserving of our 1st rounder. I think we grab a DT round 1 and I LOVE Matt Tennant, center from BC in round 2
Lol, it's not like that's Rutgers bias or anything. Allen is good whether you want to admitt it or not. I wouldn't really want him in the first unless we're picking late but he's not awful by any means.

I'm on board with Tennant in the second round too. I've liked him for a while so it'd be great to get a replacement for O'Hara in here. He's also big enough to play guard too if he had to.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tennant would be a great idea and we all now Coughlin loves his BC guys. I never watch Nate Allen enough while watching USF to make a judgement. I know he didn't do much when we played them but could have just been a bad game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Lol, it's not like that's Rutgers bias or anything. Allen is good whether you want to admitt it or not. I wouldn't really want him in the first unless we're picking late but he's not awful by any means.

I'm on board with Tennant in the second round too. I've liked him for a while so it'd be great to get a replacement for O'Hara in here. He's also big enough to play guard too if he had to.
no...well partially, but not really. I've seen Allen a lot and just haven't been impressed with him at all. I'll admit when Big East rivals are good, but I just wasn't impressed by Allen. Didn't help Tommy Savage shredded him and his secondary apart :)
but idk, I just wasn't overally impressed
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Center is definitely high on my wish list. I want us to address Center in the 2nd round if possible.

we'll see how our needs shake up coming into the draft. i wouldn't mind nabbing a FA safety just in case KP's career is over. That way, we'd go into the 1st 2 rounds with DT, C, and MIKE (potentially) being our round 1-2 needs.

Makes the board a little clearer for us.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

I'm telling you guys, I LOVE Tennant. Grab a Vance or Dan Williams in round 1, grab us a nice future young DT and Tennant round 2. that'd be ideal. Build through the trenches
Quote:
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I'm telling you guys, I LOVE Tennant. Grab a Vance or Dan Williams in round 1, grab us a nice future young DT and Tennant round 2. that'd be ideal. Build through the trenches
id love for our 1st 2 rounds to be Dan Williams then Tennant.

it wouldn't be sexy in April, but it would be sexy in December.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something tells me a lot of people have that idea about Tennant though and he won't stick around in the second round very long.

I think if Mays fell to the Giants it would make a lot of sense. I'm assuming Phillips will be healthy next year, but if he isn't you can slide him to free safety to cover some ground, and if Phillips is healthy you can move him to strong safety to lay the wood and stop the run. Ideally I think Mays is more of a strong safety and Phillips is more of a ball hawking free safety as we all well and know.

Aaron Ross working out at free safety would give us a ton of flexibility too in theory. He really helped seal up the game with that excellent tackle in space on Marion Barber on 4th and 2. I liked what I saw from him during the game.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah, Mays is a guy you have to keep your eyes on. He could fall in this draft. And if he does, you have to give him a serious look.

Also good point on Tennant. ESPN had an article not too long ago about how drafting Centers is starting to become a bigger priority amongst teams and Centers are starting to get drafted higher than ever.

Just last year we saw, what, 3 centers go in the 1st 2 rounds? Theres no guarantee that Tennant sticks around. It makes sense too if you think about it. You get great quality and value by drafting Center early in a key position on your team.

Its a great safe, and smart pick to make as a team.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Then, what would you guys think about grabbing Tennant round 1? perhaps we go on a run and get a nice low pick (we all hope 32 obviously). Would you guys be fine with that? I think I would.
Quote:
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Mays is interesting. I knew from the very first time I saw him play that he was going to be overrated by the average NFL Draft fan. Just like I knew that about Maualuga and Michael Johnson last year.

Mays can be a good player in this league but he has weaknesses that can and will be exploited unless he is around some really good DBs. As a first round pick, he is certainly a reach because he can't do a lot for a secondary. But once you starting talking about him as a bottom-half 2nd round pick into the 3rd, the value would be right on.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turns out Maualuga wasn't overrated though. He did drop in the draft but he shouldn't have.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Turns out Maualuga wasn't overrated though. He did drop in the draft but he shouldn't have.
I disagree. He is playing well...but he is playing as good as a 2nd rounder should play.

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are guys that are playing like 1st rounders, again like where they were drafted.

Remember that, at this time last year, you wouldn't find a mock draft anywhere that had Maualuga after #10 overall.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I disagree. He is playing well...but he is playing as good as a 2nd rounder should play.

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are guys that are playing like 1st rounders, again like where they were drafted.

Remember that, at this time last year, you wouldn't find a mock draft anywhere that had Maualuga after #10 overall.
I know that but if he was picked in the 1st round nobody would be complaining that he's been a bust up to this point. If we had taken him instead of Nicks I'd think we'd all be pretty happy just based on his play.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I know that but if he was picked in the 1st round nobody would be complaining that he's been a bust up to this point. If we had taken him instead of Nicks I'd think we'd all be pretty happy just based on his play.
I'd be pissed if we took Maualuga over Nicks. I'd have been woefully upset if we'd done it on draft day and even more upset now that we've seen Nicks play. Much harder to find wide receivers who have elite potential like Nicks does as opposed to linebackers who do.

I suppose you could also say it's also easy to find a pretty good middle linebacker who's more than adequate (perhaps not elite ala Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis) as opposed to finding a wide receiver who drastically changes what defenses do and can break games open. Middle linebackers usually can't change the course of the game by themselves, where there are wide receivers can.

I'm not saying Nicks will ever get to that level but there's no denying he has the potential to do just that.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I wouldn't be opposed to a Center in the 1st. It depends on how the board shapes up.

Mays is an interesting guy. His measurables are to die for, and his range is unbelievable. He reminds me of Reggie Nelson though, a guy I was VERY high on that completely busted in the NFL. Like Nelson, I question his intelligence and ability to comprehend a complex defense. Its easy to play center field in college, just like Nelson shown, but what about reading and reacting to an NFL offense?

And he lacks ball skills. Physically you look at him and you think, we can make something of him but we just don't know that yet. He can be all pro, or he can be the next Roy Williams.

I loved Rey. I first loved him, then I hated him, then I loved him again right before the draft. He was the best blitzing MIKE ive seen in years. He'd be perfect for us at MIKE. If Nicks and Britt were off the board, or if we didn't need a WR, id love to take Rey in that situation. He was #2 on our board too. Reese said if Nicks wasn't there he wouldve taken Rey or Sintim. I personally think if Nicks was gone that Britt was a no brainer, but Reese wasn't high on Britt.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm very glad we took Nicks but if we did take Rey and he played well for us I'd think we'd be happy with him as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

you can make an argument that at least for this year, Rey wouldve made a bigger impact for us than Nicks has.

after that though, I fully expect Nicks to make a much bigger impact in comparison.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:52 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
you can make an argument that at least for this year, Rey wouldve made a bigger impact for us than Nicks has.

after that though, I fully expect Nicks to make a much bigger impact in comparison.
I think Maiava would've been "Maiava-lous". :D

He's been steady. Did you see him get in on that sack tonight?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
So I take it neither of you guys are high on Taylor Mays?
I think Mays will be phenominal with a good staff, I just don't think he'll last until our pick in which case he becomes a steal like Kenny was for us.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: